The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e)

1535456585971

Posts

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 19
    "Last I checked, I can't walk on water, but perhaps you have a spell that could help us see what is off in the distance?"

    Can't walk on water yet.

    am0n on
    Steelhawk
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "And little good comes from dark water in deep places," muses Philo. "I remember a particularly nasty goblin warren where we thought ourselves safe with an underground lake on our flank. Turned out the little bastards can really hold their breath. Stay sharp."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "I suppose I could turn you into a cloud and you could waft over there, but I don't think that's what you had in mind."

    Barran pauses briefly before brightening his Light cantrip, ready to send it nearer to the figure in the water. "Heads up for awful things coming forth when I shine this, verse two..."

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "Yeah ok, sure!"

    Salazar flings a firebolt into the gloomy dark.
    Does he see anything of interest?

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for two can play at this giving away our position game

    two can play at this giving away our position game:
    1d20+1 9 [1d20=8]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Please no more insects. Please no more insects. Please no more insects," can be heard repeating from within the group, softly, yet with an insistence bordering on trying to will it to happen.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 19
    Barran's Light and Salazar's firebolt send illumination down the corridor, but due to the orientation of the chamber, you have a hard time seeing what is in the room. Suprisingly, and pleasantly, a horde of monsters does not fly out and eat you.

    You guys are just outside the orange squares of room 6B. The two southernmost orange squares are the ramp down, and covered in water. LOS is really not helping you right now.

    There has got to be a way out of this sealed set of rooms somewhere though...


    RzQdqcY.jpg



    Steelhawk on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran surreptitiously looks about at the party, making a mental checklist: heavily armed, heavily armored, I already owe him one, probably thinks water will put out his internal flame...

    With a sigh, he divests himself of his new cloak along with his pack, but not before pulling out a length of rope and tying it about his waist. He passes the rope to whoever's closest (Ay or Sal?). "If I scream, pull me back. If I stop screaming, pull me back faster."

    Barran, with just his rapier at the ready in one hand and the Light cantrip overhead, wades down the ramp about ten feet to get a better view of what's making that eerie glow around the corner...


    I just want to move enough to get a full look at the watery room, so he'll go to the second-most southern of the 6B-colored spaces.


    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception!

    Perception!:
    1d20+5 6 [1d20=1]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    am0nMongrel IdiotSteelhawkElvenshae
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular

    No, no, no. Despite quivering like a leaf, this halfling is simply resistant to a 1 like that. You have to really want me dead for that to work, you feisty automaton!

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception part deux

    Perception part deux:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    am0nSteelhawkElvenshaeAegis
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    lol, pull him back faster. And hey, your total was a 20!

    Ay nods as he takes the rope from Barran. "Let us know what you see as soon as you can.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 20
    The brave hafling doffs his pack and cloak, tosses the rope to Ay and bravely ventures forth into the water.

    As you suspected, once Barran starts making his way into the room, the floor begins slope downwards. The water is cold and thick with scum, the only movement on the surface are the ripples caused by your legs. As Barran moves forwards, he must move cautiously as there is a build up of slimy algae growing on the stones under the water. Finally, Barran reaches the bottom of the ramp where the water level comes to the middle of his chest, or so.

    The figure rising up out of the water on the north side of the room is a statue. The dim purple radiance emanates from it. The statue is constructed of grey, weathered stone and depicts a web-fingered fish man with black openings where great, staring eyes would normally be. Flaring fin-like ears are on the side of its head and it has a wide, flanged mouth.

    Its a Sahaguin, if your characters would know that...
    3602549_orig.png

    Pausing for a moment and looking around, Barran notices something very peculiar, that would have been very easy to miss if he wasn't so aware. The ripples he's sending out with his movement are now crashing against ripples coming towards him...

    kPuVzEG.jpg
    The water is about 24-30" deep and counts as Rough Terrain, costing double movement. Also, due to the slimey stones underfoot, any actions/situations that depend on stability are taken at Disadvantage.

    Steelhawk on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "Fish monster! Pull the rope!"
    Barran tries to back up the ramp, though going is slow because of the unsure footing and keeping an eye on the approaching disturbance.

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Clarification just in case it's needed....the fish monster dude is a statue. :)

    Bursar
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran is assuming the incoming ripples are from a creature that looks like the statue.

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawk
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Hearing Barran shout, Ay begins to pull the rope in to assist Barran in getting out of danger.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Acting quickly, Barran manages to make his way out of the water. Looking back over his shoulder he sees the wake of something under the water zip by right where he was standing. A flash of a fin is seen before it disappears again under the dark surface of the water.

    Soon enough the ripples fade and, aside from where its disturbed by the Halfling's wet ankes, the water is still again.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis @am0n @evilthecat @Bursar @Mongrel Idiot

    What's next folks? You are in a set of rooms that have no exit (yet) and one section of the area not yet explored. You need to do something about it, right?

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Did y'see round th'corner if'n there's a door or way out?" Dural asks as Barran's reeled back in.

    If there was nothing obvious, or we don't feel like going through the clearly-infested waters, I could try and have Dural feel his way about the hallway to see I can find any hidden wall mechanisms as it would appear we're in a really confusing hallway.

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran scrambles out of the slimy water, and after taking a moment to compose himself sits against the far wall and pours the water out of his boots.

    "That glow's coming from a big statue of some kind of fishy humanoid. The water definitely gets deeper, and there was something swimming around in there, in case you didn't notice. I'm willing to bet there's an underwater passage out somewhere, but whether it actually leads anywhere we'd want to go or just to whatever it is's home isn't an option I'd like to explore until we've exhausted everything else."

    He puts his boots back on and takes a few squelching steps back down the hallway to pick up his possessions.
    "Hey, Salazar, while we're poking around could you do that bonfire trick again? I'd love to dry out without catching Dungeon Flu."


    It looks like we haven't checked out 6E in-depth, or looked at 6D at all yet. But unless we can breathe and fight underwater, this passage doesn't hold much promise for us.
    I guess someone could wall-climb with those new gloves and scurry around the room to look out the statue better, but that's only one of us?

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "Very well!"
    Salazar casts a roaring fire into existence.
    "I could take a look at that statue .. provided someone take care of the swimmer."

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 25
    As Salazar's bonfire roars into existence and Barran warms himself by the fire, he relates some more information to you...


    6D is nothing more than a spring of fresh water. Perhaps a leak from the city's water system or Perhaps a way to keep Halaster's victims guests to Undermountain alive as they make their way through the dungeon...

    6E is indeed a giant pile of damp sand that you have not fully explored yet.

    Also, Barran is sure that his feet found level ground before he turned back and fled up the ramp. If he stops to think about it, he's certain the depth of the water is no more than 2-1/2" feet deep

    Steelhawk on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "I'm curious about the statue," says Philo, "but not so curious that I want to tangle with whatever lives in there on it's home ground. And somehow I doubt it's friendly, living down here."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    You know, I just realized, we don't stop to chat with things before we kill them enough. Maybe we should, if for nothing other than laughs.

    "Nothing has really been friendly down here, although we did kind of make friends with the mirror. Perhaps whatever is living here would be open to a similar trade like we did with the mirror in exchange for passage?"

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo frowns. "I know we trained differently, Ay, but was it really so different that you also learned to talk to fish?"

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Steelhawk
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    "More than just fish live in water. And we have spoken to a mirror. I'm not suggesting we invite whatever it is to dinner, but if this gets us back to the safety of the inn given our current condition, I think it is in our best interest to see if it bears fruit."

    ElvenshaeSteelhawk
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Two and a half feet is plenty when you're barely 3 feet tall!

    "Hmm. The goblin lived long enough to starve to death, not die of thirst. Still a bad way to go, but it means he was able to at least avoid whatever's in the water. And he didn't put those crossbows to use trying to hunt it for food, either."

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    So? Who's going to talk to the fish? Or are there other options you want to explore.

    I recall Dural musing about inspecting the walls? And there was talk of digging in the sand?

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay takes the end of the rope he's been holding and ties it around his own waist. "Can I borrow that glowing globe," Ay asks. (I forgot who has it... Philo or Barran? Going to assume someone lets me borrow it so we can proceed) "Your turn, Barran. Pull me in if I shout for it." Ay will make his way around the corner and through the sludgy mush. Calling out, "We aren't looking for a fight, we're just hoping to chat, maybe make a deal for passage if such a thing exists."

    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OK. Ay's going in. What are rest of you doing while he goes for a dip? Just chillin' by the fire?

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo lines up behind Barran and takes up some of the slack on the rope, looping it around his waist to act as an anchor.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 26
    Taking a firm grasp of the rope, Barran and Philo brace as Ay heads down the ramp slowly with Philo's borrowed Driftglobe with him. The light cast about the room shows him nothing more than Barran described about the room.

    Reaching the bottom of the ramp, Ay looks closely at the statue. There is indeed a monstrous looking fish-man statue rising up from the water. It is only a statue though. Not the fish monster Barran was running from. Keeping his staff gripped tightly, the Monk moves closer to the statue, "Hello?" he asks, "Hello?"

    Ay senses it before he see it. A slight change in the pressure of the water as something breaches the surface, all scales and fins and teeth!

    pzo1007_gar_by_critical_dean-d6szrqe.jpg

    You don't think its going to be much of a talker...

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Stealth vs. Ay's passive perception of 15

    Dang...I wanted to get the drop on someone and eat them first!

    Stealth vs. Ay's passive perception of 15:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 26
    qwjxqo3.jpg

    @Aegis @am0n @Bursar @evilthecat @Mongrel Idiot

    ROLL INITIATIVE!

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Gar's initative

    Stats:
    Philo - AC:19, HP:32+5/38, 0/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 0/4
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 22+5/27, Spells:-/0, HD: 0/4
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 0/4
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/0, LoH:10/20, HD: 0/4
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+5/30, Spells: -/0/0, SP: 0, HD: 0/4
    Angus - AC:12, HP:17+5/20
    Giant Gar - AC:13, HP:68,

    Gar's initative:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    "It doesn't talk, pull the rope!" Ay shouts.


    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

    SteelhawkElvenshae
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    The splashing of water and the weird echoing distorts Salazar's hearing.
    "Guys, a hawk, it's pretty dope? Anyone else catch that?"

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20+1 13 [1d20=12]

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran suddenly realizes that he's still tied to the rope that Ay looped about his own waist.

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Barran's initiative.

    Barran's initiative:
    1d20+4 21 [1d20=17]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Elvenshaeam0n
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    The dwarf had just started taking his attention away from the water, and back to the hallway behind them and to admiring the stonework that they were constructed out of, when the yelling and alarms made him whip back around and shift into gear.

    minion, roll 1d20 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Elvenshae
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "Heave, Barran!" barks Philo, bracing his feet and haling on the rope to draw Ay back in.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Initiative.

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 27
    "Lads, Neblin an' I will stay back here and...uh...watch for wandering monsters. Yeah...that's it. Wandering monsters." Angus says.

    qwjxqo3.jpg


    Conveniently for the party, all three characters holding the rope go first. You can very quickly decide to back out of this combat if you choose. It is just a giant, monstrous fish. It cannot leave the water... It is a real fish too! check it out:
    199a53062f7497786439a75abebe4054.jpg

    But that'd be boring... :)

    Edit: @Bursar @Mongrel Idiot @am0n - You three are up!


    Stats:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 22+5/27, Spells:-/0, HD: 0/4
    Philo - AC:19, HP:32+5/38, 0/4 Sup. Dice, HD: 0/4
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 31+5/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 0/4
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+5/40, Spells:-/0, LoH:10/20, HD: 0/4
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+5/30, Spells: -/0/0, SP: 0, HD: 0/4
    Giant Gar - AC:13, HP:68,

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshae
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran, already conveniently on the floor in the anchor position, digs into the flagstones with his heels and pulls!

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Athletics

    Athletics:
    1d20-1 15 [1d20=16]

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Barran, already conveniently on the floor in the anchor position, digs into the flagstones with his heels and pulls!

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Athletics

    I will declare this a success, but I suppose the actual result will be determined on whether or not Ay wants to come back up the ramp, or to punch a man-eating fish in the face.

    The suspense is killing me.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Then I'll take my turn before Philo!

    Seeing the mouth of teeth in front of him and feeling the tug of the rope attached to him, Ay opts to retreat, not sure he is interested in trying to take this thing alone.

    I'll back off and rejoin the group. :) We can decide once we are back together whether or makes sense to engage this creature and explore this area more (that's my vote, btw...) or check the sand room... or just die down here, hungry, alone, unloved.

    Steelhawk
Sign In or Register to comment.