The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - Huh. These bugbears are mighty...

1515254565768

Posts

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    OOC: My vote is a combination of CDE. While Ay wants Zarr down, pretty sure the whole party is feeling pretty sluggish right now to waltz right back into her lair, especially given we know we've skipped some hobgoblins (we saw them prior to going into the spider pit). We could always risk going through Zarr's lair in hopes of making a beeline back to the well, but it's been long enough at this point we could run into trouble... so pretty good shot we are going to face trouble regardless of which way we go. I think it would be in our best interest to start looking for a fortifiable place down here we can get an extended rest.

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    (( I could try getting the lay of the land again to see if we can't make out way back West, but then again, Zarr would have reinforcements by the time we actually got back to her (although this seems like an eventually either way since we probably want to rest first). Could just thoroughly search this particular room and bar the door. ))

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 21
    OOC: Here's a bit of the local area. As you can see, you are not that far from Zarr's territory. If they send out a patrol, you won't be hard to find.

    cw32pFG.jpg

    Steelhawk on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 22
    OOC: OK. So we're set on taking down Zarr and her Slaving operation!

    But...you need a Long Rest first before we get back to it.

    However...this place isn't quite safe enough to get that Rest in.

    That said...(and you didn't hear this from me and only because I somebody don't want us bogged down with hesitation) perhaps, if you explore those rooms that you ran past there might be a safe place to rest...

    Assuming you don't die, that is.

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshae
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dural sighs contentedly, the rest without an anchor strapped to his foot doing wonders for his peace of mind, before standing up and collecting his things. While everyone recuperates and patches themselves up, the Dwarf slowly paces about the room, peering under nooks and into corners, carefully checking for any recent disturbances, otherwise making sure that the room they're in isn't actually the resting place of some giant beastie. Before finishing, his probing path will take him to the door of the room and a quick peek down the hallways outside in search of tracks for the same purpose.

    (( minion, roll 1d20+3 for Survival ))

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Elvenshae
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    minion, roll 1d20+3 for Survival

    Survival:
    1d20+3 11 [1d20=8]

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 22
    The room, while not a thousand year old undisturbed tomb, does not seem to be lair of anything nasty. The broken rotting wooden remains of some furniture and the sconces in the wall suggest that at some point in time it may have been an office for dwarven clerk weighing the claims of miners or some such. Your quick peek outside room shows the stairs you already descended to the north of you, another door across the hall. The hall itself runs south and there are some more closed doors on the eastern side.

    The hallway is dark, as usual, and is made of the same typical construction found elsewhere in the dungeon.

    Geth, roll 1d100 for potential badness...

    potential badness:
    1d100 48 [1d100=48]

    Steelhawk on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay makes his way over to Dural. "Any thoughts? Not sure we are very close to the well, so I think we should try to find someplace we can rest longer. Did you get any look at the rooms we passed along the way here?"

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 22
    The dwarf shrugs, "Could be close, could be another room o' insects in between us and it. Didn't see much on th'quick rush in 'ere, but if this room won't do for a longer breather than we could poke our way out and back. Ain't nothin' in the halls right now."

    (( Incidentally, @Steelhawk , I have the Outlander background which notes: "You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you." Would I be able to get a sense of how far away we are from the Well from our current position based on the path we took to get here? ))

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    The dwarf shrugs, "Could be close, could be another room o' insects in between us and it. Didn't see much on th'quick rush in 'ere, but if this room won't do for a longer breather than we could poke our way out and back. Ain't nothin' in the halls right now."

    (( Incidentally, @Steelhawk , I have the Outlander background which notes: "You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you." Would I be able to get a sense of how far away we are from the Well from our current position based on the path we took to get here? ))

    Well that's a handy background feature for dungeon delving. "Recall" is the operative word there, I think. New places are still a mystery. But, you can easily find your back to the well via the way you came for sure. Getting there from another direction in the dungeon is a bit trickier since you haven't see this part before, but doable. Using that knowledge from the trip here, and gauging distances with your mental map then Dural would absolutely agree with Ay's hunch that the Well is almost directly west of you. If you were to head west, then absolutely...with your talent and Ay's hunch, you can definitely find you way back to the well with out too much hassle. The map you've been keeping in your head says that you are approx. 270 feet east of the well and 50 feet south of it. However, there is not a direct path through to the Well, obviously.

    This background feature added to Ay's Nat20 would make your trip back to well quicker, less prone to wrong turns, and with less opportunity for random encounters by other denizens or dungeon explorers. Good one!

    Aegis
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis @am0n @Bursar @evilthecat @Mongrel Idiot

    Does this mean we're moving out to west in search of the Well and/or a safe resting place? Please debate!

    OR just give me some "agrees" and I'll get to work on moving on to the scene.

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited June 23
    Salazar stuffs the last of the spider legs into his mouth and cautiously waddles over to the two rooms they past.
    He'd like to know if there's anything obviously wrong with the rooms or what their "gimmick" could be.... dirty human mages and their practical jokes...

    Salazar, still quite delirious from the blood loss, has absolutely no idea what's cooking.
    He returns to the others and spends the rest of his time uncomfortably close to Philo.

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for arcana/perception (same mods)

    arcana/perception (same mods):
    1d20+1 3 [1d20=2]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Its a wall. A nice stone wall.

    However, you DO notice that the chest that you hauled all the way from the Stirge room has disappeared!

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    (( I'm fine with either checking the two rooms above us for a place to rest, or trecking back to the well, though Dural would note that while I might know how far it is, I haven't the foggiest idea how dangerous it is between there and here. ))

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    "Then perhaps we should gather the others," Ay says. "As much as I'd like to deal with Lady Zarr, I don't believe it would serve our cause well to continue an assault on her lair in our current condition." Heading back to the others, "I think we should work our way back to the well and try to rest and resupply. Dural and I were talking and we think we know what direction the well is, but we either have to try and make our way back through Lady Zarr's lair without being noticed, or try to make it back to the well through hallways we haven't yet traveled. Anyone have a preference? While the dangers of going the unexplored way are unknown, we may have a better shot at being unnoticed than charging back into her Lair."

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran had been running blind through the tunnels during the brief sojourn through the drow stronghold, with one hand on Ay's belt so as to not be completely lost. Though the group had managed a stealthy passage well enough, the experience was not one that he'd prefer to revisit.

    "The drow are probably aware of Angus and Neblim's departure by now, even if they weren't wakened by our killing their spider pets. I'd rather chance an unknown death than a certain one."

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OOC: OK, so we're narrowed down to Two Options then. I want to push the game forwards but do not want to take away your agency. You options are:

    A) Out into the dungeon to make our way back to Well
    OR
    B) Room 12 and/or 13

    Barran and Ay vote for the Well,
    Dural is easy and could go either way
    @evilthecat & @Mongrel Idiot - how would Salazar and Philo vote?

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    // Depending on how well the others sell their ability to navigate the dungeon, Sal would go for A.

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "I mislike leaving Zarr for any longer than we have to," says Philo. "But if the group believes we have better odds forging ahead, then we should forge ahead."

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 26
    OOC: Between Ay's Nat20 and Dural's knowledge, Steelhawk said we feel pretty confident we can get back to the well. Our obstacle is what we will encounter along the way and whether we can beat it or avoid it. So, I think we are mostly all set for Heading back to Well?

    "I agree, Philo, but at this point she is likely to be aware of our presence regardless of whether we tried to strike right now, or another day. And while this dungeon appears to be full of creatures, I would guess it will take her at least a few days to replenish her ranks. Plus, Barran is barely standing and the tiefling appears to be fizzling. I don't think the plan is to ignore Lady Zarr, just that we need rest before trying to put her evil to an end. We can either try to rest down here, or head back to the Well and rest above, in relative safety."

    am0n on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OK! Lets get back to it! @Aegis @am0n @Bursar @evilthecat @Mongrel Idiot

    Gathering your belongings and gripping your weapons, you head back out from the room you were resting in. A quick peek outside the door shows that a horde of angry dark elves has NOT descended on you yet. With a bit more confidence the party exits the room and stands in the hallway.

    Philo's driftglobe casts its soft light about you, hovering in its position just behind his head. The architecture of the dungeon is as you've already seen before. The air is a tad heavier, with a rank scent tinged to it. The scent of death and decay and waste wafting through from somewhere to the south of you. A scream resounds from somewhere in the distance. Agony and despairbefore being cut short.

    Stairs to the north, a hallway to the south. Before you lies another door heading west. Carefully checking the door you open it and head out once more into the darkness...

    Can I get a marching order, please? And if you choose to do anything before/during your trek let me know...

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    OOC: I'd suggest Ay and Barran up front, then Sal and Philo, Angus and Neblin (unless they insist otherwise, I guess) with Dural at the rear. Figure that way we have our scouty types up front, and our two dudes with Protection looking out for the squishier sorts.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    Bursaram0n
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 27
    Barran and Ay leading the way, the party moves through the door and into a twisting hallway. Zig zagging through the dungeon the twists occur every 20-30' and break the line of sight to end of the corridor, far beyond the range of the dim light cast by the driftglobe and even Ay's elf-sight. A good guess would be that the twisting hallway continues a good 150' or more.

    Carved into the walls at seemingly random locations and heights are leering and twisted faces. Some demonic, some humanoid and even some that are bestial. Their mouths are open in screams and/or catcalls, condemning and chastising intruders into the dungeon. Elf and Halfling look at each other at the same time with wry smiles (Passive Perceptions of 15 for the win!) and immediately look down to find hidden pressure plates cleverly mixed in with the stone tiles on the floor.

    What do you do?

    Steelhawk on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Salazar turns to Philo:
    "You know that orb hasn't done us any favours so far. How about you turn it off."

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OOC: Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me...

    Geth, roll 1d100 for Chance of Death

    Chance of Death:
    1d100 44 [1d100=44]

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    (( Sal! *shakes fist* ))

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    ElvenshaeSteelhawk
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Chastened, Philo quietly murmurs the command word and turns off the orb. Thrice damned Underdark...

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Instantly, the darkness overtakes you. For most your innate sense of darkvision takes over, at least letting you see where you are going and where you are placing your feet.

    For Barran and Philo however, the darkness is as complete as anything they've ever known before.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Still stinging (heh) over the last mess the spell had begun for everyone, Barran casts his Light cantrip, controlling the hue and brightness to make it a dull red color. He cups his hand over it to keep its light directed down towards the floor. "Old rogues' trick," he explains. "Makes it harder to spot if you can't already see in absolute darkness."

    Using this limited light source, Barran begins plotting a path through what he can see of the hallway that avoids the pressure plates in the floor.

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay notices Barran trying to identify the pressure plates and to the others, "Looks like this hallway is trapped. Give Barran and I a second and we can try to figure out how to make it though here safely. Anyone have any chalk or something else can can use to mark the spots we shouldn't step?"

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OOC: The answer to that is "Yes, someone has chalk." I might hammer you for pulling out a portable hole that wasn't written down on your character sheets, but not a piece of chalk. :)

    Also, the application of Light here is going to be of import. Especially to non-darkvisioners. Trying to avoid stepping on pressure plates when you are blind is going to be a problem. Barran's clever use of light (which I don't think is kosher, but it was cool so I'll let it go) will not help Philo avoid stepping on a pressure plate.

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    The Dwarf nods his head in the darkness. Then remembers half of those around him can't see a damn thing and clears his throat sheepishly while fishing around in his pack, "Few pieces," he offers, handing them over to whomever wants to take them, "Though, uh, how's a white scratch in the dark 'bout to help those who already can't see?"

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Philo grins, despite the fact that nobody can see him. "Perhaps I can ride on your shoulders, Dural?"

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Lad, ye'd probably still be able t'walk from yer feet still touchin' the ground."

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Mongrel IdiotSteelhawkam0nElvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    FYI: Doing some cross Canada road tripping with the family starting tomorrow. Drive out East to eat some Donairs and Lobster, then fly to the middle to be eaten in turn by mosquitos.

    I'll be checking in on my phone as we go and have my Surface with me to update whilst in hotel rooms. So game on!

    Now then, a little bit of light to avoid triggering the trap? Or is there another solution you have in mind?

    AegisElvenshae
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Guess what just got fixed! :D

    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    am0nSteelhawk
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Pretty sure we are going to need light.

    "While we might risk attracting attention with a light, if we can't make it past these traps, only thing the darkness will provide us is a blind death. Even my eyes can only make out so far in this darkness, and not far enough to help pick out a path safely across this."

    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Also....the switchback nature of the hallway MAY mitigate the chances of something seeing your light from far away.

    And yay GREY!

    Elvenshae
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Eyeing Barran's trick, inspiration strikes Philo. "A moment," he says, and digs blindly in his pack until he finds a spare shirt. Wrapping the driftglobe in the shirt so that only a small portion remains uncovered, he speaks the command word and holds it in front of himself. The globe jumps and tugs at his hand, eager to hover by his head, but he holds on. A narrow cone of light spills out onto the floor--perhaps enough to avoid the pressure plates.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
    AegisSteelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Post Acadian wedding. Will try to update tomorrow!

    Mongrel IdiotAegis
Sign In or Register to comment.