The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - Another Day, another dead thing.

1525355575862

Posts

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    dungeon.jpg

    Barran and Philo shield their magical sources of light as much as they can and make their way down the trapped hallway. Barran inspecting and marking the pressure plates for the others and, given enough time, you make your way west without too much trouble. Exiting through another door at the far end, the halls turn and head towards the south. Clever makeshift flashlights for the win!

    You pass a few chambers on your way as the halls open into rooms. One of them filled with a pile of bones. Discarded remains of numerous creatures. Another room dominated by the spoor of a large creature.

    Hustling through, you eventually come to a door in the wall of a long corridor. Dural is positive that this is the way to go. Testing the door gingerly, Barran pushes it open while Ay pokes his head in to take a look. Looks clear...

    Passing through the door, the party moves through a hall a bit before the corridor intersects. Continuing west seemingly dead ends 40' down the hall, the southern wall of the dead end is in fact a shimmering curtain of opaque blackness. The intersecting hallway goes north about 40' before opening up into a chamber. The air seems a bit damp in this area. There must be a source of water nearby.

    Dural and Ay concur that the well is almost due north of your current location.

    What do you do?

    Geth, roll 1d100 for 5% chance of bad things happening

    5% chance of bad things happening:
    1d100 67 [1d100=67]

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshae
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    @Aegis @Bursar @evilthecat @am0n @Mongrel Idiot

    North to the room? or West to the curtain of blackness?

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    The dwarf scratches his head as he looks forward and sees nothing down the dead end, "As one to whom th'dark be simply a minor annoyance, anyone else find something wrong about th'end of that hallway?'" Gesturing briefly towards whatever foul sorcery is happening down the hall, Dural's attention moves to the floors and walls. Placing a hand against one of the walls and then bending down to get a closer look at the floor, Dural's senses focus on trying to figure out whether this sudden dampness is from some natural consequence of the mountain they're in and where it might be located.

    minion, roll 1d20+3 for Survival

    Survival:
    1d20+3 6 [1d20=3]

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The smell in the air tells you that the water is salty...and maybe a little stale. The smell seems to be emanating from somewhere to the north.

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    "There is something wrong with this entire place. But let's remain focused. The well should be North, and so that is where we should go. We should tread carefully, though. Water attracts creatures, and if there is water nearby, especially where we want to go, we need to keep our wits about."

    Ay will start to make his way slowly North (not necessarily trying to leave the party, just kind of a slow pace until the others follow, if they decide to), keeping an eye on the ground for anything obvious as he moves and listening for the sounds of anything that could indicate danger.

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

    am0n on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Heading north a bit the smell of stale sea water is definitely coming from that direction. There is nothing remarkable to discern about the hallway so far, and the Elf can only see so far before the hall widens and splits left and right. After about 10 feet, Ay turns to see if the rest of the party is following him before he continues on...

    @evilthecat @Bursar @Mongrel Idiot @Aegis

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 6
    Does the combination of:

    - corpses, medium sized
    - large creature
    - smell of the ocean but in an urban environment

    ring any bells in Sal's head?

    e: oh goddammit. Nope, Salazar will stay near philo.

    if needed:
    minion, roll 1d20+1 for arcana memory jogging

    arcana memory jogging:
    1d20+1 8 [1d20=7]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Does the combination of:

    - corpses, medium sized
    - large creature
    - smell of the ocean but in an urban environment

    ring any bells in Sal's head?

    e: oh goddammit. Nope, Salazar will stay near philo.

    if needed:
    minion, roll 1d20+1 for arcana memory jogging

    No. Not connected at all. The bones, pile of dung and hints of a large creature were flavour for the previous set of halls and rooms we passed through, urging you not to longer.

    Passing through that door into THESE sets of rooms, and the scent of salt water is a separate potential piece of adventure.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran has created enough accidental adventure in this particular excursion, so he'll tentatively follow Ay.

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Music festivalling in the 'Peg all weekend but ready to reply to questions and RP. Major updates will need to wait until I'm back in the hotel.

    Still waiting on @Aegis and @Mongrel Idiot to confirm the party is sticking together and heading north.

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Fair 'nough," the dwarf answers in response to Ay's direction, "I ain't one to willing walk into a wall o'darkness m'self." His attention then returns to the water as they press through the halls, trying to notice any significant changes or signs of things attracted to ready access to it that might have already passed by.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    OK. I will assume that Philo agrees to head north, and that Salazar goes with him. If that's not correct, well....too bad. :)

    The group follows Ay as he leads the party up the northern hallway. After 30' the hallway widens into a room 20' wide and another 30' long. At the north end, the room opens to the right and leads immediately to another room, while at the lower left another standard 10' wide hallways leads off to the west.

    As soon as the last party member enters the room, an ominous grinding noise can be heard from above and behind you. Turning quickly, you see a massive stone wall come crashing down to the floor with a tremendous noise!

    "Oh. Well ain't that jus' peachy." says Angus, sourly.

    67651e124e5ce08883ccb16e3f415b07.jpg


    Here is a map of the current area you guys are in. The wall slammed down at 6F and you are all in the room just southwest of 6E. Each square on this map is 10', not 5'

    RzQdqcY.jpg

    Now what?

    Elvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay doubles back to investigate the new wall. He looks around trying to see if he can identify any kind of mechanism that controls it, or what they may have triggered that caused the wall to suddenly close.

    I'd like to see if there is any obvious way to defeat the wall mechanism, or what caused it to closed, i.e. was there a pressure plate I missed?

    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception

    Perception:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    There is no easily discernible trigger for the door. You presume there is a magical proximity trigger.

    It should also be painfully obvious that the amount of noise the door made coming down would likely bring something around to investigate...

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Squinting into the darkness, Philo positions himself where he can see down both the side hallway and up toward the small room, sword out and ready to repel anything that comes looking for trouble.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Barran kicks at the new-found wall angrily out of annoyance, but if anyone were to ask he has prepared the excuse that he's just checking if it's a mimic.

    "Well, sound travels further than light in these tunnels, and anybody who can hear that already knows that some poor fool walked into their trap." Barran brightens his Light cantrip to non-Darkvision levels and sends it up to hover above him along the ceiling. "Assuming that this trap being here to alert anyone as opposed to just being part of the general terminal sense of humor of this whole place seems to have been built around."

    He draws his crossbow and puts his back to the wall, facing north. "The corridor up ahead kind of opened up strangely and then just stopped, but there's another path off to the left. I kind of want to see if that room has any purpose aside from whoever laid it out running out of bricks and ideas at the same time... "

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    "Kind o' hard to run out o' bricks underground. Would just collapse th'roof or dig to a solid smooth wall if'n ye didn't want to keep hollowing out a room," the Dwarf offers, nodding at Barran's suggestion. "I could try an' figure out this here stone door mechanism, but I agree that doin' so'd probably bring others here and I ain't that happy to wait around either."

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    Keeping your wits about you, on alert for danger, the party cautiously moves up towards the room to the northeast. (6E)
    This oddly shaped area is a room filled entirely with sand. Great quantities of fine sand have been brought here by someone, and heaped up in damp, lichen covered peaks and valleys. The central bulk of the sand pile is 3' high at its lowest and 5' at its peaks. The sand pile is broken up into a confused pile of waves, clefts, and disturbed areas.

    Heading back and through the tunnel to the west, it branches to the north and south. At the intersection, a sight alarms you. (6C) Four crossbow bolts protruding from a clever and sturdy, though makeshift, barricade. Two old desks, piled atop one another with extra wooden boards to cover the gaps provides a shield almost 5' high. Openings in the barricade have been made for four loaded crossbows. Peeking over the barricade, you can see that their firing mechanisms have been joined by a rope so as to fire simultaneously. The rope trails down to end in the death grip of a goblin. A dead goblin. One who's been dead for a while, and likely from starvation. It looks like he built this little hidey hole for defense and a good ambush spot.

    Making your way south, the hall turns back on itself (6D) and comes to a dead end. A spring of sparking water bursts forth from several cracks in the wall. It streams down the west wall, pooling a bit on the floor before disappearing through cracks in the floor along the east wall. This water is pure and fresh and not the source of the moisture in the air and dank smell that permeates this wall.

    The only part left to explore now is taking the path to the north to (6B). Anything you wanted to explore further before we do so?

    Steelhawk on
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay makes his way over to the small spring and tastes a bit of the water. Finding it seems fine, he uses it to fill up his almost empty water skin.

    "We should investigate the goblin's perch. Maybe we can figure out why he built such fortifications." Ay makes his way back to where the dead goblin is and gingerly makes his way to the barricades, hoping to disable the crossbows and then explore behind it.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The goblin, upon closer inspection, had indeed been dead a while. In the time before he died he had amassed a fair amount of belongings: Decent weapons. Armor. Human sized clothing. Even some treasure!

    It looks like he killed, or at least looted, an entire adventuring party.

    Elvenshae
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay calls out, "Appears this goblin got lucky. Someone come lend me a hand, maybe he has something that will be useful for us."

    I'll start stashing the stuff. Anything in particular that stands out that may be useful immediately? Otherwise, between myself and anyone else that lends a hand, I'll snag it all to examine closer later.

  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    The dwarf scratches his head at the piles of sand filling one of the rooms. He points, gestures, measures with his fingers as if trying to determine any usable purposes to the area, but ends up simply shrugging, still confused, as the party presses on. Reaching the goblin post, he nods at the improvisation and then at Ay when he asks for some assistance, "Bit hard t'believe this creature ambushed an entire group all by himself. But it seems t'be the case?"

    I'll toss a hand.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 13
    Sal examines the dead goblin.
    He wants to make sure the goblin died to bad luck, and not because something entirely ignored his well placed fortification...

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for investigate!

    investigate!:
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 14
    Yes, the goblin died of malnutrition. He was indeed wounded, as to be expected surviving in Undermountain for so long, but his little body is gaunt even for a goblin.

    Aside from a number of consumables (flint and steel, waterskins, ropes, etc...) the goblin has piled up underneath him a couple of fine cloaks that were being used as bedding. Once cleaned they would be perfectly suitable for use. Under the cloaks are a few swords, an axe (upon which Angus promptly drops his Morningstar and says, "Give it here..."), a decent suit of chain mail, a wand and a sack holding about 300 gold pieces!

    Steelhawk on
    Elvenshae
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "Wow, that's quite the armory for somebody here on his own. But given the state of things, we'd better find a way out of here before we end up the same."

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 14
    Loot Reminder! From the chest and now the Goblin's stash. None of this has been claimed yet...

    800 gold cash value in coinage and "things" - if someone wants a trinket for their share PLEASE feel free to flesh it out.
    A scroll case with 3 scrolls: Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form & Fireball
    2 Potions of Healing (it looks, smells and tastes the same as the stuff you buy from the Gnome upstairs whose name escapes me.
    1 Unknown, sickly green coloured, potion
    Gloves of Swimming and Climbing (unattuned)
    Unknown Wand
    Chain Mail
    2 Fine Cloaks (and other assorted mundane items as you wish to fill out/replenish adventuring gear)

    Steelhawk on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 14
    //ooh, I'd like to claim a trinket for Sal:
    Ikzith's Fortune Biscuit

    This small metallic ornament looks like an item Mazticans serve their guests after a meal;
    The biscuit itself is rather ordinary, inside, however, is usually a piece of paper inscribed with a witty anecdote or
    an attempt at reading the eater's future.

    This trinket features a hinge and shallow locking depression that allows it to be opened and sealed without damaging it.
    The trinket will, once per day, have a small folded piece of paper in it.
    Instead of a pleasant, if vague, fate reading, one can find the musings, ramblings and hostile mockery of some lesser devil.

    also, I realise identify magic is a spell, but perhaps the wands are of a common garden variety that Sal can identify by glance:

    edit, after roll: goddammit. perhaps Sal should have paid more attention in magic school.

    minion, roll 1d20+1 for arcana.

    arcana:
    1d20+1 6 [1d20=5]

    evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Steelhawk
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dural flips through a few of the cloaks, testing the material with an approving nod, but passes on that before remembering the potions in the previous loot collection, wandering over to fish out one of them and add it to his potion belt.

    I'll take one of the Potions of Healing since my supply is dwindling.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Steelhawk
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Anybody else? Or should we move on?

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Will any of these fine cloaks fit a halfling? :P

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just use a pair of staves as stilts, it'll be fine.

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
    am0n
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I'm good to proceed.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

    Well...before I post the next update then, I need to note some things.

    Everyone (except Salazar) mark down 160 gold on your character sheets. Sal claims his part of the cash money in his cool trinket (make it ornate, instead of ordinary!)

    Who gets the scrolls? Salazar or Barran? Until someone claims them, they cannot be used in a combat situation...this is really the important point I wanted to stress here.

    The Gloves can be attuned by someone with a short rest. The wand, and unknown potion, can both be identified over a short rest. I don't recall at the moment whether or not wands require attuning before use.

    The cloak's can easily me altered using cleverly designed threaded hooks to adjust for the height of the user. They are of fine craftsmanship. It would work in a pinch until you can find a tailor. Until they're cleaned though you are going to smell like a goblin.

    Updated Party Loot List:
    A scroll case with 3 scrolls: Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form & Fireball
    1 Potion of Healing
    1 Unknown, sickly green coloured, potion
    Gloves of Swimming and Climbing (unattuned)
    Unknown Wand
    Chain Mail
    2 Fine Cloaks (and other assorted mundane items as you wish to fill out/replenish adventuring gear)

  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Ay still has 3 Potions of Healing, so he is all set. Scrolls do nothing for me. Same with the Wand. Chain mail too heavy. "No Capes!" Unknown potion I'll let someone else deal with. For the gloves, which they are nice, I think it would be better to give them to someone who either needs the boost to climbing/swimming, or one of our slower PCs, so they aren't left behind if we do need to climb or swim.

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //I'm at 2 pots, I won't take any.
    From an RP point of view, I don't think Sal knows about the scroll case, once he does he'll likely want the fireball.

    "Say Barran, mind if I hang on to this wand?"
    says Salazar. Overcome with curiousity he opens that weird little metal biscuit he found amongst the chest's contents....

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    "Ah, something to keep our maps in when we have something more scribbled in!" Barran passes Sal the wand and reaches for the scroll case, pleasantly surprised to find it already occupied.

    He also takes one of the cloaks, marveling at the clever arrangement that allows the user to adjust the hemline.

    Oh my fucking god this post
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Currently RPing: Barran in the Ruins of Undermountain!
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I don't see anything in there that Philo desperately needs.

    0sgEp4R.jpg?1
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Finishing up with the Goblin, you gather all your gear up again and head through the twisting pathway north of his ambush spot. After 100 or so feet of twisting hallway, you finally come to the source of the musty odor and dampness.

    After a final twist heading west, the hallway takes a sharp turn back to the north. This time, ramping downwards into water. The room is dark, like all the others. After 20 feet, the room opens up to the east, beyond your field of view. The water is dark and still and slimy algae grows up on walls at the waters edge. Craning your necks to see around the corner you can sort of make out a large still figure rising out of the water, a dim purple luminescence coming from it. Not enough to illuminate the room, but enough provide a reference in the dark.

    Too see more details, you'd have to enter the room proper, and that means wading into the water. Do you?

  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    "...this looks like a job for you, Ay!"

    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    The dwarf peeks around the corner and down towards the water, grumbling in the darkness, "Nothing good comes from suddenly bright things in dark places."

    Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +4/1d8+2 | Spell +4/DC 12
Sign In or Register to comment.