As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    YES!

Geez guys...do I have to think of everything? :)

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    YES!

Geez guys...do I have to think of everything? :)

// As much as Ay would like to BLAME THE POOR TIEFLING, poison isn't something that computes for Salazar. I mean there's no fire.
    And oddly enough everyone else is too much of a goodie two-shoes to do it.
    Makes you wonder why angus or the rock gnome didn't try it....

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Well...the short answer is if the NPC's were going to do it then why play the game at all. :)

A.slightly longer answer is Neblin had no protection. Poison would easily be traced to the kitchens and there was no band of adventurers to.protect him when the hammer came down.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Barran is not happy about creeping back through a den of sleeping bugbears, but Spiders be Spiderin' and nobody's taking even remotely defensive postures. He starts slowly making his way back, feeling his way along the wall, hopefully to find a different way out.

Sorry to pull the "Well, I'm going this way!" card on us, but it feels like we've been staring at spiders for days without taking action or even talking about what to do.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Noticing Barran begin to move, Ay whispers to the others, "Either we move now, or we prepare to fight. But the spiders don't appear to be waiting for us to decide. Now is the time." He eyes up, Barran, about to make his own way out of the room. He will follow Barran if the others don't answer very soon.

am0n on
  • Options
    OK. Back up through the barracks it is.... I'll put something together soon to move the game forward.

As an aside....what make you so hesitant to face some spiders? Do you know something I don't? :) Aside from Salazar being out of second level spells you guys are all pretty flush...

• Options
    I'd rather face ac12 spiders than ac18 hobs tbh but group is hurting for a faceplant ^^`

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I'm assuming those spiders are an early-warning system, and a trap. That may not be a solid assumption, but it was my thinking.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit hesitant of doing anything in the Barracks/Slave Pens for fear of waking up reinforcements, though if we continue to try and find alternate routes we're going to run out sooner than later.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If we don't want to go back because we don't want to alert who's in the barracks, and we don't want to take on the spiders because we don't want them to alert who's in the barracks, then we should go ahead and fight the spiders now because we'll get to fight the spiders on their own for a little bit (and then the barrack-denizens) instead of the spiders+the barrack denizens.

Steelhawk's being more than fair by not just jumping us already! :D

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Ay is all for fighting the spiders (he probably knows nothing about them, so they are just spiders to him). My only reason for withdrawing is because there was debate as to whether or not we should engage. So, we can back up and discuss our plans. However, we are in a dungeon that, so far, pretty much everything has tried to kill us (even the chairs and mirrors). If we aren't ready to fight something, we should just head to the surface, because I'm like 100% sure that any path we want to take is going to have something in it's way that may turn in conflict. Possibly because a certain elf loses his cool, but conflict nonetheless.

• Options
    So are we back to the Spiders now?

I don't mind waiting if the party is having an actual OOC discussion about how to proceed. But if we're just spinning our wheels because of wishy-washiness, then that gets frustrating.

• Options
    // if you guys are itching for a fight I'd rather it be the spiders. bugbears, drow and hobgobs is not a combo I wanna go up against.

• Options
    Easter weekend means I've been lazy. I'll likely update tonight after getting back from my M-in-L's house.

Map incoming! Everyone still needs to roll Initiative please!

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Spider Baddie's Initiative!

Spider Baddie's Initiative!:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The Dwarf turns around yet again at the sound of spidery skittering, raising his hammer and preparing for a brawl with something within these tunnels.

Understandable, I am also full of turkey. I assume we're still in No Sight for Non-Demihumans territory?

minion, roll 1d20 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    minion, roll 1d20+2 for one plate of crispy spider legs

edit:

BOOM!

one plate of crispy spider legs:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Initiative.

Initiative:
    1d20+1 13 [1d20=12]

• Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Barran's Initiative.

Barran's Initiative:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Spider%20Nest%20round%201_zpsimztlsa1.jpg
    gawddamn I hate photobucket. But its free and lets me embed images unlike google, so...

Map Notes:
    The official web work begins H2&I2 and gradually getting thicker at you reach the intersection leading to the rooms north and south, thinning out as you head east to H15&I15.

Still need initative from @am0n and when the other spiders enter the fray (because of course there are more than just the one swarm you can see) they'll act on Init 19 as well.

Any player who wants some light (Philo and Barran) are free to fire up their glowing globe/light spell as they choose. Currently its all dark. Please act according to your characters darkvision range, typically 60'

Edit: The wall in corridor to the east actually holds a door....but the mapping site I use doesn't have a simple door template I could have dropped in. Nor any funky web templates to add come flair to the map.

@evilthecat can act! It's not likely that Ay will able to top that natural 20 anyway..

Stats:
    Salazar(G0) - AC:15, HP: 27+6/30, Spells: -/2/0, SP: 0
    Ay(H0) - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 4/4, HD:2/4
    Spider Swarm(I5) - AC:12, HP:22, Dmg. Resistance (B/P/S), Immunities (charm, fear, paralysis, petrification, prone, restrained, stunned), Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker
    Philo(I1) - AC:19, HP:38+6/38, 4 Sup. Dice,
    Barran(I0) - AC:16, HP: 26+6/27, Spells:-/2
    Dural(H1) - AC:18, HP:37+6/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:20/20
    Angus(G1) - AC:12, HP:20+6/20

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+0 for Angus's Initiative

Angus's Initiative:
    1d20+0 11 [1d20=11]

• Options
    "Next time we hit the Tavern, remind me t'pick up Antidotes," the Dwarf yells as he squints in the darkness, trying to focus and pick out any sudden movement from the colourless terrain his Darkvision is showing to him. "So's don't be gettin' bit too much, less ye secretly be a Dwarf all this time an' haven't told us."

Characters
  • Options
    should clarify: Along the east-west hallway, the web network is mostly on the walls and ceiling. There are the occasional strands here and there along The floor but the main path is clear enough that you won't get stuck to it.

@am0n - need initiative please
    @evilthecat - you are first up!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Sorry! Had family in for the weekend and forgot.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Initiative

Edit: That should be a +3, so it's a 22, not a 24. But Knope. No Natural 20 here...

I'll act after Salazar.

Ay hears some shuffling and turns quickly to see the Dwarf and Human readying themselves for combat. Mumbling to himself, "I guess they decided to fight," Ay heads back to the group and raises his staff.

Initiative:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

am0n on
  • Options
    "Silly spiders; they make their homes from highly flammable silk!"

Salazar will cast "create bonfire" on top the the approaching spider swarm!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Sal can roll damage on the swarm for fire.... Ay is up!

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for dex save

dex save:
    1d20+1 10 [1d20=9]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    You know what...to pick the pace back up a bit, I'll roll damage for Evil, and then @am0n can take his turn...

Geth, roll 1d8 fire damage on the baby spiders

Stats:
    Spider Swarm(I5) - AC:12, HP:19/22, Dmg. Resistance (B/P/S), Immunities (charm, fear, paralysis, petrification, prone, restrained, stunned), Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker

the baby spiders:
    1d8 3 [1d8=3]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Seeing the spiders start to disperse around the flames, Ay darts in, swinging wildy at the critters. His wild swings connect, though, sending a few of them flying rapidly into the nearby wall and falling lifelessly to the ground. One makes it on his shoulder, but Ay quickly grabs it and crushes it against the wall before using the fiery distraction to escape behind his allies.

Move: To I4
    Action: Attack
    Minor: Martial Arts
    Move: To H0

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack QStaff
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Damage QStaff
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack Unarmed
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for Damage Unarmed

Spider Swarm(I5) - AC:12, HP:12/22, Dmg. Resistance (B/P/S), Immunities (charm, fear, paralysis, petrification, prone, restrained, stunned), Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker

I think Resistance means half damage? If so, adjusting Spider HP from 19 to 12 (8/2 = 4, 6/2 = 3, Total: 7).

@Steelhawk

Attack QStaff:
    1d20+5 12 [1d20=7]
    Damage QStaff:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]
    Attack Unarmed:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Damage Unarmed:
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]

am0n on
  • Options
    @evilthecat - Where did you move to in order to get LoS to cast your Bonfire spell at the swarm? I need your new position before the spiders act...

• Options
    // I run to I2 to cast, but I'll end up running back to G0.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    The swarm of spiders, already scurrying in this direction and that from the fire, are swept aside with Ay's staff, leaving a smear of ichor and spider legs on its business end.

The swarm dissipates, with the spiders no longer clumped together. Keen eyes can pick them out scurrying back east along the webs attached to the corridor walls, ceiling and even some on the floor, heading towards the core of the nest.

From somewhere to the east, a deep buzzing or hissing sound can heard....gradually getting louder. Its pretty obvious that there are more spiders in the nest.

The swarm is no longer a threat as it has broken into individual clumps of harmless baby spiders. This swarm can and will likely reform again with the same HP as it had before it dissipated in a separate location. In the meantime it is of no threat to you, nor can it be targeted and further damaged. This is more for visual effect and dramatic heft as a mass of thousands of tiny spiders all scurry away back to mama for help. I promise not be that much of a jerk and have the swarm reform on a PC's head at an inopportune time. :)

For fluff purposes only, please feel free to squish as many spiders as possible. :)

Stats:
    Spider Swarm(I5) - AC:12, HP:12/22, Dmg. Resistance (B/P/S), Immunities (charm, fear, paralysis, petrification, prone, restrained, stunned), Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker - TEMPORARILY DISPERSED

Up Next: @Mongrel Idiot
    On Deck: @Bursar & @Aegis

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Philo squints into the darkness, looking for a target. As a spider scuttles past his foot, he stomps it.

Ready an action to attack anything hostile that comes near.
    @Bursar

• Options
    Does it make sense for us to start moving our way, slowly, through the area?

• Options
    If you want go forwards, I would say yes. But of course, I would say that, wouldn't I? :)

• Options
    Yeah, was just commenting that if our entire front line is moving together, it may make sense to start inching forward so we aren't all clumped together in a tight spot.

• Options
    Well, we've made it clear that we don't want to go backwards...

Barran squints with a hiss as the sudden bonfire rears up from the floor, blindingly bright in the previous darkness. It's quite impressive, really. The flame flattens out along the ceiling, starting secondary streaks of fire to race along the webbing before petering out. The fountain of sparks boiling away from the edges is a nice touch, too--wait, sparks don't run around before curling up on themselves like that. Eeeeergh.

Boots crunching on the brittled and barbequed carapaces of the dead and dying, Barran approaches the blaze, putting the light source at his back in order to better see what lies ahead and around that corner.

Move 25 ft to H5
    Action: Look around the corner into the room to the north and try to make out anything horrible in there.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Percepti-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT

Percepti-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Spider Swarm(I5) - AC:12, HP:12/22, Dmg. Resistance (B/P/S), Immunities (charm, fear, paralysis, petrification, prone, restrained, stunned), Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker - TEMPORARILY DISPERSED
    Barran(H5) - AC:16, HP: 26+6/27, Spells:-/2

@Aegis is up!

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Is Barran using a light source of his own? Or relying on the bonfire?

• Options
    Just the bonfire; he didn't have Light going at the time and he'll spend his whole action peering into the room instead of sending a ball of light zooming in there.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Ok, on my phone now and I'll have to double check the range of light that a bonfire casts...does @Aegis or @Mongrel Idiot want to advance as well before the map changes?

• Options
    The Dwarf blinks as the swarm of spiders goes from threatening to non-existent within moments. A quick shrug later, and he's trudging along at the front of the pack again once he's managed to catch up with everyone else.

Yea, my short stubby legs will walk back to the front again.

Characters