As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Corgs And Capys In The [Snugglehug] Thread (Nsf56k)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yesterday, Dinner escaped while I was taking out the trash.
    There were a couple of ladies getting out of their car who saw him. One of them audibly gasped and went "He's beautiful!"

That's right, I have a stunningly beautiful cat.

I hope you let them know what the cat's name was. Cause I'm sure that would have been an entertaining conversation.

"He's beautiful!"
    "He's Dinner."
    "...?" Backs away slowly.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ever since one awkward incident I make sure to say specifically "His name is Dinner."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Hello I am cats.
    two-faced-chimera-cat-venus-29.jpg

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Hello I am cats.

I believe in Hairvey Dent.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Half of my face is itchy and you may scratch it. If you choose poorly, I will bite.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Hello I am cats.
    I was reading about this cat a bit ago and apparently it is called a chimera. I guess the idea was that one cat absorbed its brother in utero and so it displays colors of both cats. It can happen in humans but usually in less noticeable forms, like someone having two blood types. (I have explained this poorly but feel free to look up chimeras on Wikipedia for a better explanation)

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Hello I am cats.
    I was reading about this cat a bit ago and apparently it is called a chimera. I guess the idea was that one cat absorbed its brother in utero and so it displays colors of both cats. It can happen in humans but usually in less noticeable forms, like someone having two blood types. (I have explained this poorly but feel free to look up chimeras on Wikipedia for a better explanation)

Chimerism is super neat and I strongly recommend people look it up.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hello I am cats.

Does that cat happen to be named Deathstroke? It should.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Her name is Venus

Man I know a lot of internet cats, huh?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Hello I am cats.

Counterpoint: chimerism squicks me out because one organism being made up of multiple partial organisms is unsettling to think about.

• Options
    Hello I am cats.

Counterpoint: chimerism squicks me out because one organism being made up of multiple partial organisms is unsettling to think about.

Think about this--none of us are really a cohesive thing at all--we're just a conglomerate of tiny tiny individual cells that usually play nice together, but things can go out of whack and they can start fighting.

Also anyone whose ever gotten a successful organ transplant is made up of multiple partial organisms.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hello I am cats.

Cool fact: Women who have given birth frequently have small amounts of their children's cells still living in their bodies due to stem cells migrating from the foetus while they share blood circulation. Thus, DNA analysis of a mother has a very small chance of accidentally identifying her as her child.

Vic on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Hello I am cats.

Think about this--none of us are really a cohesive thing at all--we're just a conglomerate of tiny tiny individual cells that usually play nice together, but things can go out of whack and they can start fighting.

Also anyone whose ever gotten a successful organ transplant is made up of multiple partial organisms.

On top of us being a collection of cells, we're also mostly bacteria and fungi. Thousands upon thousands of cuddly snuggly bacteria friends.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Hello I am cats.

On top of us being a collection of cells, we're also mostly bacteria and fungi. Thousands upon thousands of cuddly snuggly bacteria friends.

That's apparently mostly a myth. A fairly recent study did find that bacterial cells outnumber human cells in the body, but far closer to 1:1 than 10:1. Moreover, bacterial cells are so much smaller than human cells that they only make up a tiny fraction of our mass.

Edit: Take that with a grain of salt though, I did the very minimum of research on the subject.

Vic on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Hello I am cats.

Cool fact: Women who have given birth frequently have small amounts of their children's cells still living in their bodies due to stem cells migrating from the foetus while they share blood circulation. Thus, DNA analysis of a mother has a very small chance of accidentally identifying her as her child.

During pregnancy, cell-free fetal DNA comprises ~5% of the free DNA in the mother's bloodstream. After pregnancy, the amount of fetal DNA remaining in the woman's blood stream is close to 0. If you're suggesting that women still have their children's DNA in their bloodstream a long time after birth, I haven't heard of this, and can't conceive of how it would occur since blood comes from bone marrow (although it might, and I just don't know how).

Cell-free fetal DNA is currently being investigated for sequencing use. Its low quantity is currently problematic, in that it's easily overwhelmed by maternal DNA and current sequencing technologies basically rely on sequencing DNA many many times and taking the consensus to eliminate error, which also happens to eliminate the information from fetal DNA. It is currently useful for certain test though that are more about yes/no presence and gross ratios of fetal DNA to maternal DNA.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    Hello I am cats.

During pregnancy, cell-free fetal DNA comprises ~5% of the free DNA in the mother's bloodstream. After pregnancy, the amount of fetal DNA remaining in the woman's blood stream is close to 0. If you're suggesting that women still have their children's DNA in their bloodstream a long time after birth, I haven't heard of this, and can't conceive of how it would occur since blood comes from bone marrow (although it might, and I just don't know how).

Cell-free fetal DNA is currently being investigated for sequencing use. Its low quantity is currently problematic, in that it's easily overwhelmed by maternal DNA and current sequencing technologies basically rely on sequencing DNA many many times and taking the consensus to eliminate error, which also happens to eliminate the information from fetal DNA. It is currently useful for certain test though that are more about yes/no presence and gross ratios of fetal DNA to maternal DNA.

I don't have the source, but it was described as stem cells essentially colonizing the mothers tissue from the blood stream. A blood DNA test wouldn't pick that up, but a tissue sample feasibly could.

Ah, here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2633676/

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My bird apparently loves chicken, this freaks me the fuck out.

That's your cousin dude!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Don't suppress its inner eagle.

• Options

That's your cousin dude!

We eat mammals all the time.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Oh ya, I still give him some, just he goes savage on it, doesn't with any other food, little cannibal

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Tucker was a very good boy getting his adrenal disease-suppressing implant today. He barely even noticed the syringe since they gave him some sort of liquid treat.

He ended up licking his lips so much while the aid held him that he licked her nose, thinking there was more.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh ya, I still give him some, just he goes savage on it, doesn't with any other food, little cannibal

I was just thinking, it might be time for a new .sig

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I remember reading a story about a woman who had one of those absorbed-her-own-twin things going on that somehow resulted in her not passing maternity tests, because her eggs were genetically different enough from her cheek swab cells (or whatever they use to test those). Apparently created some interesting legal difficulties before they figured it out.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I remember a CSI episode about that but it was with semen and a serial killer or something.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I remember a CSI episode about that but it was with semen and a serial killer or something.

Semen and a serial killer could literally be an alternate title for the CSI series.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If a person knew they were a chimera, but it wasn't registered in their medical history, they could cause quite a bit of mischief. Of course you'd have to know which parts of you had different DNA than the others, so realistically you'd also have to have personal access to a sequencing machine and lol good luck widdat.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Semen and a serial killer could literally be an alternate title for the CSI series.

Worst Dungeons and Dragons expansion, ever.

• Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular

That's your cousin dude!

Its the avian equivalent of a human eating a cow!

(my birb also loves chicken)

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Lack of pics this page, so I make an offering.
    k52gwysflyc6.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

That's your cousin dude!

Spoilered for very un-sungglehuggy.
    I pulled into work this morning, and there was a little bird with an obviously broken leg in my parking space (I almost hit it, missed by maybe two inches). When I did notice the bird, I frowned for a second, 'cause I knew that bird was going to die. I mean, maybe somebody better with animal awareness and with knowledge, sensitivity, and ability could have saved it, but I knew it was way beyond me.
    So anyway, I go inside and tell a co-worker about it. She frowns, and is sad, but there's nothing we can realistically do. A little while goes by, and I decide I should at least try.
    I go outside, and the little bird is gone. But a few feet away is a crow with a little red string of meat hanging from it's mouth, with a little bloody bird skull at its feet, and surrounded by feathers.

Hakuna matata, motherfuckers.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Look at the bones!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    He tried, but he just didn't have the teeth to follow in the footstep of his idol, the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »

That's your cousin dude!

Spoilered for very un-sungglehuggy.
    I pulled into work this morning, and there was a little bird with an obviously broken leg in my parking space (I almost hit it, missed by maybe two inches). When I did notice the bird, I frowned for a second, 'cause I knew that bird was going to die. I mean, maybe somebody better with animal awareness and with knowledge, sensitivity, and ability could have saved it, but I knew it was way beyond me.
    So anyway, I go inside and tell a co-worker about it. She frowns, and is sad, but there's nothing we can realistically do. A little while goes by, and I decide I should at least try.
    I go outside, and the little bird is gone. But a few feet away is a crow with a little red string of meat hanging from it's mouth, with a little bloody bird skull at its feet, and surrounded by feathers.

Hakuna matata, motherfuckers.
    See, that actually makes me feel good about it. Because an injured animal becoming food for another animal is the best case scenario and the way nature should work. Like, one bird died but another got a nice fresh meal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    PayDw5s.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Hello I am cats.

Nah its just two baby kittys did a little fusion dance while still in their mom. And now their power level is over 9000!

Its fine!

This discussion has been closed.