As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cue up The Vapors, "Turning Japanese"

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    The OP isn't as bad when your work blocks the pictures. It just sounds silly. It took a completely different tone when I saw everything on my phone during lunch.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No I think the words are a large part of the problem.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    OP is good.

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    I'm off to Japan in october with some friends, one of whom is a vegetarian.

I've heard that it can be difficult to find veggie/vegan stuff in Japan, anyone know if theres any truth in that?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Omg girls, playing GAMES?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Forumers appreciation itt

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Has OP bought me gundam yet

I'm getting impatient over here

• Options
    Buy me a daisho

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I want a tanegashima

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod

WAIT A MINUTE WHAT

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

I heard they do in japan C/D??

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

I've heard that it can be difficult to find veggie/vegan stuff in Japan, anyone know if theres any truth in that?

Yeah, lots of places it's super difficult because for a lot of dishes, even if it's not an actual meat dish they still use animal stock for soups and animal fat for frying, and depending on the place they're often unable/unwilling to swap out the meat products. I'd suggest looking up vegetarian-friendly places ahead of time, as well as learning stock phrases for asking about what's in your food.

That being said, Japan loves its veggies so finding a meat-free salad or soup is doable on most menus. But options are definitely limited there.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Girls don't play video games.

That's just a conspiracy theory made to make us MEN feel bad about our anime titty games

• Options
    Get me some of that real wasabi, brother man

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

There are a few guides online. This one seems decent: http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/vegetarian-survival-guide-to-japan/

I'll nitpick that the proper verb is tabemasen for "I don't eat" and taberaremasen for "I can't eat". They use a bastardization of the two.

If you're interested in learning the language I can recommend some resources.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

There are a few guides online. This one seems decent: http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/vegetarian-survival-guide-to-japan/

I'll nitpick that the proper verb is tabemasen for "I don't eat" and taberaremasen for "I can't eat". They use a bastardization of the two.

And to clarify, if you say 'taberaremasen' the implication is generally that you physically can't do it, as in you have some kind of allergy or other health reason, not that it's a personal choice. Which you can totally use if you want to increase your odds of getting what you want.

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular

This is a wonderful guide, thank you very much!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Rural Japan
    T0qbx0v.jpg

Is super pretty
    sFbikBH.jpg

Please visit it
    yjNRcQe.jpg

Also it has adorable cafes
    oGf1Qqd.jpg

These are great pictures, but a part of me feels like that bear is really sad to be in that drink and is reaching out for help and I feel strangely guilty???

Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes
    AST98UH.jpg

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    denihilist wrote: »

WAIT A MINUTE WHAT

Creepy 'OP' checking back in - my point was this, it was refreshing to see Women (and Men) just playing games and having fun - without the stigma of 'boy games' vs 'girl games'.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Man, I think kissing is rad as hell.

I wish I could do more kissing.

If I could kiss for like, 2 hours a day, that'd be primo.

That is 14 hours of kissing in a week

That is in the ballpark of three literal marathons of kissing, per week

I would have to very respectfully say "no thank you" to that much smooching

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I think the reason I enjoy living in Tokyo so much involves me not having to deal with the morning commute.
    Non standard work hours goooooo

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    YAY! Hello Japan thread...

I'm in Shinjuku right now. (I'm in Japan for my birthday) You will have to forgive me as I'm not a rural kind of guy, and even though outside Kanto is super pretty, I live in the dead space between Milwaukee and Chicago back home and need the urban atmosphere to feed my soul.

Anyone want to have a meetup this Friday or somesuch? I'm right on the Yamanote loop and can swing anywhere around. I also Speak Japanese....well, as best I can after 20 years of disuse, but I can still passively tell a girl that the shoes she has on are off the hook. (It came up in conversation...)

Keep in mind I'm early 40s so things like maid cafes and manga shops are a little outside my range, but I can do book stores and ear-pick places. (OH BTW, ear-pick places are the bomb, but they are kind of like barber shops.... it's more fun talk with the person doing the cleaning). Shopping at Bic Camera is fun, and getting mad streepasses on my DS is pretty cool too.

Was at the big Gundam. It's much more detailed than you think. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's real. You can see the actuators under the armor and in the joints. If N. Korea gets out of line, you will know because when you visit the "statue" you will only find darkened shadow footprints where a robot used to be. Seriously it's got torque bolt indications and explosive bolt warnings, and "No Step" locations up and down it's armor. In fact, I was surprised not to see any safety pins (The orange/red "remove before flight" flags on military hardware.) That just means it's in a ready 15 configuration :)

So yea, up for an impromptu meetup. I'll be leaving on Sunday.

• Options
    I'd be down but my weekend is pretty well spoken for (which is a rare turn of events). That ear pick action sounds...weird but intriguing. I'll hafta look into that!

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    You have to be careful as some of the Mimikaki (ear pick) places can be a bit sketchy. I went to a franchised one called Yamamoto Mimikakiten. It's an experience.. Comes with an optional massage too. 30min is 3500 or so, 1 hour is 5700 and some change I think. Think of it as a spa treatment with more Kimono

halkun on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    majanz wrote: »

WAIT A MINUTE WHAT

Creepy 'OP' checking back in - my point was this, it was refreshing to see Women (and Men) just playing games and having fun - without the stigma of 'boy games' vs 'girl games'.

That stigma hasn't existed for a bit now, nobody worth their time tries to distinguish "girl gamers" from "gamers" anymore

edit: which is not to say it doesn't happen, but that it's voiced by vocal outliers

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    To be fair, the stigma pretty much doesn't exist here, in these forums.

But there still are plenty of dumb places and people that do the separation. Might be OP is more acquainted with those, and not with the places and people that are more progressive.

• Options
    I think it's a relatively new thing. Certainly when I was still in college 10 years ago there was a stigma against gamers in general and it was very rare to find a lady interested in playing tabletop RPGs. Certainly now things are in the process of changing; my little sister and cousins have tons of female friends who play D&D with them, but they still refer to themselves as "girl gamers."

Regardless, I guess things are a little different in SE? I would think that calling the OP creepy violates the glorious edict.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Saying the original post is creepy doesn't violate the edict

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    My bad. I thought 'OP' meant Original Poster as in the person who made the original post.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

ezz3umlc85nc.jpg

I'm going to assume that camera is there for a very, very specific reason

You're right about that.
    Stealing posters is like the number two crime in Japan, right behind stealing umbrellas.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    also the edict is more about personal attacks, you can still call out a behavior as creepy if you so perceive it

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Dotonbori is on my short list of places to go once I finish up my language classes. I intend to eat enough that I can't afford to come home, thus solving several problems at once.

I spent a weekend there.

I ate a lot of okonomiyaki.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I am going to be at narita for three hours on July 2! It's been a few years... @Lost Salient hook a girl up if you remembered where the good food in the airport is!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pretty much all the food in Narita is fine and way too Goddamn expensive, even for Japan.

It mostly depends on what're terminal you're in, and how far you are willing to walk and whether or not you get lost easily (because you can definitely get lost inside Narita).

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I am very easily lost. Last time I was there I found a half-filipina half-Japanese woman that worked there and she took me where I needed to be. Hooray for insta-bonding with other Filipino people.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »
    Dotonbori is on my short list of places to go once I finish up my language classes. I intend to eat enough that I can't afford to come home, thus solving several problems at once.

I spent a weekend there.

I ate a lot of okonomiyaki.

Dude we were in Osaka for 3 nights and didn't make it to Dotonbori ONCE. I had a ridiciulous throat infection while I was there and had to go to the emergency room because I felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I really had no ability to walk around all night eating after that :(

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Man, I think kissing is rad as hell.

I wish I could do more kissing.

If I could kiss for like, 2 hours a day, that'd be primo.

That is 14 hours of kissing in a week

That is in the ballpark of three literal marathons of kissing, per week

I would have to very respectfully say "no thank you" to that much smooching

ok but what if it's your butt being kissed

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

WAIT A MINUTE WHAT

That stigma hasn't existed for a bit now, nobody worth their time tries to distinguish "girl gamers" from "gamers" anymore

edit: which is not to say it doesn't happen, but that it's voiced by vocal outliers

I've only been playing tabletop since 2010 and since then it's been rare not to have female representation at the table. All the spaces I've been to have been co-ed here in the not-exactly-super-progressive Atlanta, Georgia metropolitan area. I'm pretty sure the game group I have been a part of for awhile has somewhere above a 65/35% split of men to women.

However, I do still hear from my ladynerd friends about them having to deal with some shit in nerd spaces that they shouldn't have to deal with.

On a side note: Did you know The Vapors' Turning Japanese is a mildly racist song about a dude jackin' it to a woman's photo! I mean, that is creepy, right? I don't want to know what those British men get up to. They are weird.