As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    He's not going to be back until the shutdown is looming again.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I've been chuckling a little too hard to all the jokes related to Roger Stone's early morning arrest.

Especially Michael Che's schatenfruede at seeing that Chappelle's Show scetch of a white guy being treated like a black gangster being played out in real life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Late night programs are gonna lose their shit after today.

John Oliver doesn't return for three more weeks. He has to be dying.

I have to imagine the worst part is the undeniable knowledge that by the time he's back on the air there will be at least 3 entire loads of horse shit that went down between then and now so he'll be hard pressed to bring the Shutdown 2018-2019 into things (save for the "Remember when the government grinding to a halt for three weeks was the 'good ol' days'?" bitterly ironic short term nostalgia bit for his Looming Shutdown 2019.2 bits.

see317 on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    My favorite meta joke is how Trump keeps calling this a witch hunt, yet Stone literally threatens someone’s little dog just like the Wicked Witch of the West.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    As TDS covers the deep freeze and all the stupid it brought, one tune comes to mind:

o/' Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang, banana hammer (doot de de doot) o/'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK8gYBo54uA

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The best part is towards the end where he talks about the police tweeting potential criminals with "Oh c'mon, it's to cold for this shit" and all I can imagine is some dumbass who was about to go out and break into cars thinking "...ya know they have a point. I'm gonna do this shit on Friday when it's back above 0."

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The best part is towards the end where he talks about the police tweeting potential criminals with "Oh c'mon, it's to cold for this shit" and all I can imagine is some dumbass who was about to go out and break into cars thinking "...ya know they have a point. I'm gonna do this shit on Friday when it's back above 0."

I think it was last year we had a good month of sub freezing temperatures. Crime was at its lowest point in like 40 years. Criminals are stupid, but they hate the cold like everyone else.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019

Nice, TDS referenced Warrensburg.

Odds are the 6 officers on call that day were shooting the shit and having a 2 beer lunch at Heroes and didn't want to leave their Stroganoff stuffed potatoes (this is a real thing, and they are amazing).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So Trump had an... enlightening... interview with the New York Times yesterday. Here’s Colbert with some of the highlights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFDdBjWYpQ

How can a person speak for three minutes and say nothing?

A riddle for the ages I guess?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mama Mia those snippets are a doozy. I love that he flat-out says he is "entitled" to a positive story from a paper he constantly treats like shit.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    Mama Mia those snippets are a doozy. I love that he flat-out says he is "entitled" to a positive story from a paper he constantly treats like shit.

I'm amazed he feels "entitled" to a positive story period. Nobody is 'owed' praise. Except for toddlers who need parental encouragement so they can develop, of course.

Actually, I'm not amazed. It's Trump. He's always felt that people should be constantly singing his praises no matter if he's doing anything to deserve it.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

I'm amazed he feels "entitled" to a positive story period. Nobody is 'owed' praise. Except for toddlers who need parental encouragement so they can develop, of course.

Actually, I'm not amazed. It's Trump. He's always felt that people should be constantly singing his praises no matter if he's doing anything to deserve it.

Trump acts like toddler.

Film at 11.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm screaming at my monitor right now. I didn't know Northam had more to say after his apology about the blackface / KKK uniform photo. And NONE of it was good. Shout outs to his wife (you'll see why).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi-rTp0vs

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    He's back! The parrot-faced bastard is back!

https://youtu.be/HaBQfSAVt0s

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh no, now that he's back, things will really start getting crazy.

• Options

It depends.

Oliver did an interview with Seth Meyers the other day where he implies that not all of his stories will be US specific (that is, if you were alluding to Trump). He’ll be covering other international topics as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ouORr1jffrc

steam_sig.png

• Options

It depends.

Oliver did an interview with Seth Meyers the other day where he implies that not all of his stories will be US specific (that is, if you were alluding to Trump). He’ll be covering other international topics as well.

I watched this interview; it was great. In general I love when the late night comedians interview John Oliver; there's such a great rapport and spontaneity that I using end up laughing in stitches.

I liked John's point when he was talking about Brazilian elections. People tend to react "Really? Any other time, yeah that sounds bad, but my house is on fire right now!"

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

It depends.

I watched this interview; it was great. In general I love when the late night comedians interview John Oliver; there's such a great rapport and spontaneity that I using end up laughing in stitches.

I liked John's point when he was talking about Brazilian elections. People tend to react "Really? Any other time, yeah that sounds bad, but my house is on fire right now!"

The thing is, he's not wrong. Yes, the US (and to a lesser extent the UK) political and electoral processes are important to the audience.

But there's also three cable news channels dedicated almost exclusively to that, in addition to it having a tangible impact on most broadcast networks too. If you want information on the US or UK fuckmuppetry, it's easily available.

But what percentage of even the "moderately well informed" (the people arguably most likely to be watching his show in the first place), knew anything about the Brazilian elections? And that they elected someone who is the worst parts of Trump and Pence. Seriously, read through his policy positions. He's a fucking monster not often seen outside of actual dictatorships.

And more specifically, what percentage knew anything about Venezuela before Juan Guaidó announced his Presidency? These things rarely happen out of nowhere.

I really like that Oliver does deep dives on topics few other outlets touch on, let alone cover in any depth. And I figure he'll still keep devoting his first 10m or so to US and UK politics. But 20m of something else that isn't covered elsewhere, is awesome.

• Options
    This is the most amazing thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_RTnuJvg6U

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Amber Ruffin is a national treasure.

God bless Seth Meyers for allowing her to be great.

</s>

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Amber Ruffin is a national treasure.

God bless Seth Meyers for allowing her to be great.

</s>

Well first let him step in and tell you how much you like her.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Vx5AHPhLzpc

Sam B bringing the pain here.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, that’s awesome.

My favorite part was that I didn’t notice the video title when watching it, but after the end, laughed my ass off that she wasn’t kidding.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO0iG_P0P6M

Oh FCC, you think the lack of public input about robocalls will save you from John Oliver's wrath? Think again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was really hoping he’d release the phone numbers like he’s done before, then everyone could robocall them.

Still funny though.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I can't imagine how prepared the show's lawyers had to get before this stunt went into effect.

• Options
    I’ve been noticing that my robocalls have dramatically increased too. I think last year I got maybe one or two a month. At least, so few that I can’t be bothered to quantify it.

Now I’m looking at my call history right now and maybe 60 to 70% of my incoming calls are spoofs using my area code. I used to try and block them until I researched and found out that doesn’t to shit to spoof calls. So I just ignore them now.

One clever comment I read was set up call forwarding to the FCC for a few hours a day, which I migh do myself.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was really hoping he’d release the phone numbers like he’s done before, then everyone could robocall them.

Still funny though.

If you care, their contact information is probably publicly available by law.

I just searched for them on the site and found their work numbers

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    If you have the money I'm positive you could just buy their info from some info broker.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine how prepared the show's lawyers had to get before this stunt went into effect.

These are technically political calls, right? Which are legal.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

These are technically political calls, right? Which are legal.
    That's what I mean though, the lawyers probably wanted to make sure they can mount a defense and not have the show / Oliver penalized. I absolutely agree that this is fair game but people in the FCC who help perpetuate this shit often tend to lash out.

• Options
    I set up a call forward to the FCC complaint line that I plan on using for all unrecognized numbers.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The news bit where he had the guy trick his mom for her social security number is mindblowing. People being able to spoof personal contact numbers is crazy.

• Options
    Oh goodie gumdrops. Master of What People Are Totally Into These Days, Jay Leno, decided to open his mouth and say late night television is "too one-sided" these days and "too political." So now Trump is quoting him and ugh.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Oh goodie gumdrops. Master of What People Are Totally Into These Days, Jay Leno, decided to open his mouth and say late night television is "too one-sided" these days and "too political." So now Trump is quoting him and ugh.

Only Conan O'Brien can get through a week without mentioning Trump.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Only Conan O'Brien can get through a week without mentioning Trump.
    One-sidedness in that regard isn't a bad thing, when we're talking about the face of evil.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Wasn't 90% of his material Monica Lewinsky jokes

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Wasn't 90% of his material Monica Lewinsky jokes
    Yeah that's what a lot of people are pointing out on social media. Jay Leno for years always considered him "safe" or "neutral" politically, which of course meant misogyny.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    It's one of the irritating things about people in their own little bubble like this who complain that, "People sure are complaining about X a lot", without taking the extra step of realizing that maybe there's a reason for that.