As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Fuck I bad forgotten about the cruz race. Really hoped lizard man would lose.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

It really shows how entrenched the sports team metaphor is for US politics.

Because regardless of whether or not you agree with Republican policy, Ted's complete disrespect for his constituents, and his event horizon* personality should be completely disqualifying.

* I'll let you be the judge of whether I'm referring to the astronomical phenomenon of a black hole (because he sucks so much), or the movie of that name (because he's a thing of nightmares).
    It's both.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Because regardless of whether or not you agree with Republican policy, Ted's complete disrespect for his constituents, and his event horizon* personality should be completely disqualifying.

* I'll let you be the judge of whether I'm referring to the astronomical phenomenon of a black hole (because he sucks so much), or the movie of that name (because he's a thing of nightmares).
    It's both.

Texas voting really benefits no-knowledge voters. The straight ticket option on the ballot ensures that someone can walk up to the machine and press a button and walk away without any knowledge of who they voted for. The party designators have a similar effect, but less so with the straight ticket option. Knowledgeable voters may waffle on choices, debate if they want to vote for either candidate in a race, or determine that they don't know enough about the candidates to vote on them, but no-knowledge voters who only want "their team" to win can walk in and push a button.

The gerrymandering also creates problems, and won't be going away anytime soon since 2020 is the next redistricting year.

If dems want to win in Texas they need to run as "Republicans" (in declaring candidacy say a different name, run the same), ignore the primaries, and continue to run as Republican after the RNC picks someone else.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Finally watched this week's John Oliver video on Immigration.

The end broke my heart. We're monsters.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Finally watched this week's John Oliver video on Immigration.

The end broke my heart. We're monsters.

I really want the zero tolerance policy to be the first House investigation; with a side letter demanding sourcing, authoring, and approval of that cryoto-fascist "14 words" immigration "report" on the DHS website.

Sadly I don't think Matt Gaetz's will forward my concerns to Pelosi. I'm intensely frustration right now.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

It's both.

Texas voting really benefits no-knowledge voters. The straight ticket option on the ballot ensures that someone can walk up to the machine and press a button and walk away without any knowledge of who they voted for. The party designators have a similar effect, but less so with the straight ticket option. Knowledgeable voters may waffle on choices, debate if they want to vote for either candidate in a race, or determine that they don't know enough about the candidates to vote on them, but no-knowledge voters who only want "their team" to win can walk in and push a button.

The gerrymandering also creates problems, and won't be going away anytime soon since 2020 is the next redistricting year.

If dems want to win in Texas they need to run as "Republicans" (in declaring candidacy say a different name, run the same), ignore the primaries, and continue to run as Republican after the RNC picks someone else.

Texas eliminated straight ticket voting, this election was the last time that will be available. I’m not so sure that’s a good thing (without straight ticket Beto probably wouldn’t have had the statewide coattails that he did).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I don't use Tweeter, but I do heard about it on the news aggregates (and I'm pretty sure you can still talk about Late Night here...hopefully I'm not mistaken).

I like this. I don't like Carl Tuckerson Tucker Carlson because even if I agreed with his positions he'd still belong to a punditry class who I have subconscious hallucinations about getting punched in their smug damn faces (alongside anyone who's just asking question you know? or just found out North Korea shares a border with Russia and does the public realize that?), but if there is some line to be crossed, I'd say this is it. I suppose because of where we are, I'm invariably reminded of opportunistic lawyer extraordinaire, Jack Thompson, who in return for a largely ineffectual fight on video game violence, the Internet(tm) decided sending him personal death threats was suddenly a mitzvah. It was fucked up then, and it's fucked up now.

Don't do this. Don't praise it either.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I don't use Tweeter, but I do heard about it on the news aggregates (and I'm pretty sure you can still talk about Late Night here...hopefully I'm not mistaken).

I like this. I don't like Carl Tuckerson Tucker Carlson because even if I agreed with his positions he'd still belong to a punditry class who I have subconscious hallucinations about getting punched in their smug damn faces (alongside anyone who's just asking question you know? or just found out North Korea shares a border with Russia and does the public realize that?), but if there is some line to be crossed, I'd say this is it. I suppose because of where we are, I'm invariably reminded of opportunistic lawyer extraordinaire, Jack Thompson, who in return for a largely ineffectual fight on video game violence, the Internet(tm) decided sending him personal death threats was suddenly a mitzvah. It was fucked up then, and it's fucked up now.

You should definitely do and praise this. If you don't make assholes like Tucker Carlson's life difficult they'll keep being assholes. People can protest outside his home and should.

Magell on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

You should definitely do and praise this. If you don't make assholes like Tucker Carlson's life difficult they'll keep being assholes. People can protest outside his home and should.

No, you shouldn't. Target him at work, target him at public places like restaurants, but going to his home is going too far.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Nope, sorry. My wells of sympathy and concern for conservative demagogues are bone dry.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I guess our opinions on this are quite diverse

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

No, you shouldn't. Target him at work, target him at public places like restaurants, but going to his home is going too far.

His white supremacy doesn't leave anyone alone in their homes.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Nope, sorry. My wells of sympathy and concern for conservative demagogues are bone dry.

I don't have any sympathy or concern for him either.

My sympathy and concern is over upholding laws and not being ok with selectively enforcing those laws. Pretty sure banging on someone's windows and threatening them is against the law.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

This is true. Gina Haspel's advocacy of torture and defense of the righteousness of it when Americans do it doesn't stop at her front door--people are tortured thanks to her wherever she is.

Then again, justifiable or not, threatening the director of the CIA in her own home isn't something I'd ever be brave enough to do in a group, much less by myself. It makes it hard to compare.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

You don’t fight Nazis by acting like the Nazis you are fighting.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Sure. When the protesters start chanting "Jews will not replace us", yeah, they've probably gone too far. This is not there though.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Specifically: You shouldn't endorse unlawful vigilantism if you don't support unlawful vigilantism.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I feel like I can type every post I've seen on this page out in my sleep at this point. The discussion has nothing to do with the ostensible thread topic and I suggest we all move on.

• Options

Sure. When the protesters start chanting "Jews will not replace us", yeah, they've probably gone too far. This is not there though.

The same protestors chanting that hate message also murdered someone with a car. Should we keep sinking to their level and respond in kind?

There’s plenty you can do to Tucker Carlson without going to his residence and involving his family.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

The same protestors chanting that hate message also murdered someone with a car. Should we keep sinking to their level and respond in kind?

There’s plenty you can do to Tucker Carlson without going to his residence and involving his family.
    Or you can go to his residence, and not shout threats.
    I am 100% onboard protesting in front of homes of people like Tucker Carlson.

But threats, are more likely to just backfire because it fuels the medias "both sides same" narrative, and obfuscates the message.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Or you can go to his residence, and not shout threats.
    I am 100% onboard protesting in front of homes of people like Tucker Carlson.

But threats, are more likely to just backfire because it fuels the medias "both sides same" narrative, and obfuscates the message.

I can’t agree. This same tactic is used by these assholes when they dox people, just like with rape victims (which we recently saw with Kavenaugh). How many people here really think it’s ok to do this as long as it’s “our side”?

This idea that we should do what Nazis do because they did it First is asinine.

Yes, fuck Tucker Carlson and I hope he gets what he deserves. Protest him at his work place or a restaurant or Twitter or any place in public, but stay away from his family. I don’t give a fuck if they do it to us.

We’re better than them.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    What sort of threats were shouted, exactly?

If it's people outside chanting things like "We know where you live," 1) Obviously, and 2) It's deliberate to make him uncomfortable because it's the smallest taste of what happens to people who he doxxes. It is not, however, on the same level as actual articulated threats of violence and death.

Also, Think Progress has a summary of the events from someone who was actually one of the protesters. It was fairly tame, and the most radical/controversial thing that occurred, the spraypainting of his driveway, wasn't just not planned or sanctioned by the organizer but was condemned by folks immediately.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What sort of threats were shouted, exactly?

If it's people outside chanting things like "We know where you live," 1) Obviously, and 2) It's deliberate to make him uncomfortable because it's the smallest taste of what happens to people who he doxxes. It is not, however, on the same level as actual articulated threats of violence and death.

Also, Think Progress has a summary of the events from someone who was actually one of the protesters. It was fairly tame, and the most radical/controversial thing that occurred, the spraypainting of his driveway, wasn't just not planned or sanctioned by the organizer but was condemned by folks immediately.

Let's not pretend here, someone shouting "I know where you live!" is always seen as at the very least creepy and normally considered a threat. It's the platonic ideal of a 80s-90s bully threatening to come to your home and beat you up.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Y'all're going to get this thread locked going full steam ahead right after a mod said to move on.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Part of me shares Mild Confusion's concerns, but part of me also thinks that if the Left had it in them to really stoop to the level of their opponents we'd be seeing more incidents of things like ecoterrorism.

I mean, it is possible that the Left could go from wondering if it was okay for someone to punch Richard Spencer to planning organized attacks on members of the alt-right and their families, but I don't think it's likely. The most the Left usually does is dogpile on people on social media.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So I'm watching Kimmel and they're talking about how trump called the recent ballot in Florida a problem when they were just in the mail system. Kimmel then said

"I have a hard time believing trump doesn't know how the mail works. He's gotten as 2 of his wives through it"

Burn

• Options
    edited November 2018
    OMG, this weather clip has layers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzEhrVbKZqE

Umbrella jokes and pee jokes and the graphic looks like a penis!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jimmy Kimmel had his people out on the street telling passersby that Trump is planning to send the Statue of Liberty back to France (he's not; that's the joke). Plenty of people took the bait and I kinda don't blame them in that regard because Trump says crazy shit all the time. What DOES strike me though is the people who agree with the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUV4B6gA_Wg

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Jimmy Kimmel had his people out on the street telling passersby that Trump is planning to send the Statue of Liberty back to France (he's not; that's the joke). Plenty of people took the bait and I kinda don't blame them in that regard because Trump says crazy shit all the time. What DOES strike me though is the people who agree with the idea.

Bush admin did a lot of heavy lifting on anti French sentiment.

Some of the more thoughtful types will also throw in that us losing In Vietnam was Frances fault for getting us involved.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Bush admin did a lot of heavy lifting on anti French sentiment.

Some of the more thoughtful types will also throw in that us losing In Vietnam was Frances fault for getting us involved.

So very much. My Fox/Rush/Breitbart corrupted father never passes up an opportunity to make jokes about how awful/cowardly/just-this-side-of-collaps-because-socialism France is, and so much of that started during the early W years.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The sentiment was definitely there before then with "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" being in a 1995 Simpsons episode, but the Bush administration made it a much more political thing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Jeff Goldblum was on Seth Meyers last night! Apparently he has a jazz album coming up. Also he and Seth were in the sexiest men alive issue of People, I didn't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8_h9U7Iig0

Also Jeff Goldblum has moved on in my head canon from being Dr. Ian Malcolm to The Grandmaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rRwU6QwAZs

Henroid on
  • Options
    Seth Meyers' Bad Sponsors bit has really grown on me. The Black Licorice part in this one is the fucking best.
    Are you a dead-eyed psychopath?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiUrsyCYkWg

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I dunno the improv shows on dvd "funnier to the writers on this show, then the audience." Killed me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I feel attacked.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Crowgurt huh?

Hmmmm, I wonder who could have possibly been the creators of that product...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BEMlvjJ9uxo

steam_sig.png

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So Last Week Tonight had their final show of the season. That means nothing newsworthy will happen until February when they resume, right?

My favorite thing from this week's episode was when they showed Theresa May addressing Commons with her Brexit plan, and the chamber openly laughing at her and what she was saying.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So Last Week Tonight had their final show of the season. That means nothing newsworthy will happen until February when they resume, right?

My favorite thing from this week's episode was when they showed Theresa May addressing Commons with her Brexit plan, and the chamber openly laughing at her and what she was saying.

Or, if you live in the UK, when they showed Gilbert Gottfried reading excerpts from her draft of said plan.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Last night's Daily Show was great. Trevor for-real lost his voice after his trip to South Africa. So he sat at the desk and mugged while the other correspondents sat beside him to deliver his monologues.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Last night's Daily Show was great. Trevor for-real lost his voice after his trip to South Africa. So he sat at the desk and mugged while the other correspondents sat beside him to deliver his monologues.

The best part was Michael Costa effectively tagging out to Roy Wood Jr when the topic turned to racism.

Vyolynce on