As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    But that's like his thing. Taking a joke to an uncomfortably long over point. Just like Janice in accounting he don't give a fuck.

I still want a movie with evil Micheal Keaton as a disinterested boss. I think he played that in the most recent robocop but I want like a good movie with that...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    But that's like his thing. Taking a joke to an uncomfortably long over point. Just like Janice in accounting he don't give a fuck.

I still want a movie with evil Micheal Keaton as a disinterested boss. I think he played that in the most recent robocop but I want like a good movie with that...

I think he's gotten good experience recently with Ray Kroc and Vulture, though I think he was partially channeling his character in The Other Guys during the sandwich scene

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

I think he's gotten good experience recently with Ray Kroc and Vulture, though I think he was partially channeling his character in The Other Guys during the sandwich scene

He didn't go TLC, though.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He didn't go TLC, though.

He didn't chase waterfalls, he stuck to the rivers and streams he was used to.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    If a TV show didn't move away from a situation / topic week to week until that situation was resolved, that TV show would fall on its ass ratings-wise and financially.

Here's another thing.

If the show brings up something and you find yourself caring about it, pick up the torch from where the show leaves it and organize things yourself. Or join the people who do the organizing for you.

Edit - If you don't have it in you to get off your ass to fight for something, don't continue to sit on said ass and accuse a show / its host of not going far enough or continuing the fight for long enough. They at least do the research and spend money enough to get people aware of things and provide tools in some instances for people to engage their government and world around them. Christ.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Many shows will memorialize a lost member of their team with a small placard at the end, before the usual credits roll.

Colbert recently lost a member of his crew, and chose to do far more, providing a very touching tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0rk_-AjqcQ

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Well, that... was certainly a way to end LWT this week.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    "Show doesn't cover every aspect of an extremely complicated issue in full nuance in twenty minutes in a way that's digestible to the average person. GARBAGE."

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The only thing I don't like about LWT is John's tendency to run a joke about 5 seconds too long. Like he'll make a punchline, then ride that punchline. You made the joke, you got the laugh, you don't need to do a little dance afterwards, it kind of kills the momentum.

Thats fine. the yelling at the pictures schtick gets a little old sometimes though

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Doesn't look like it made it into the YouTube clip, can you spoil a synopsis?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    LWT has its own Japanese mascot.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Athenor wrote: »

Doesn't look like it made it into the YouTube clip, can you spoil a synopsis?
    The first half is the Mueller Report, the second half is about a tourism mascot for a small town in Japan, I guess because this is how John copes with the news. (“When was the last time the news made you happy? When was the last time anything made you happy?”)

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    LWT has its own Japanese mascot.

More accurately, they made their own unofficial mascot ("Chiijohn") to replace a small Japanese town's unofficial mascot so the town's official mascot wouldn't be lonely.

And then flew him to Japan to visit that town.

Where he still is because the town accepted him.

It's weirder than that due to the nature of why the former mascot was ousted, but that the gist.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    *eyebrow raise*

*googles*

Oh dear gods, Chiijohn is adorable. I didn't know LWT could MAKE adorable mascots. Their last few were a little... uh. spooky.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck, that ties into the whole Chiitan meme stuff online?!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Chiitan, King of Strong Style, amongst mascots.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The Chiitan stuff had me cracking up. Especially with the "I'm coming to your home" video, where it hides a baseball bat in its boot. It starts off cute, then goes so dark so hard, yet remains amazingly cute. I just lost it completely.

That said, the Peep stuff had my wife and I cracking up the most. See; our kids love Peeps. Every Easter, they want Peeps. Whenever we say they can have candy, they want Peeps. Someone says peep, they want Peeps. So I suppose a Last Week rant can touch even the rarest of specific comedy yucks.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Surprise LWT Drop, relevant to this discussion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4fVdf4pNEc

• Options
    Yeah that was the back third of last week's show. :D

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    How could it be? It mentions a tweet / video that the Chiitan account posted on Thursday. o.o

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    How could it be? It mentions a tweet / video that the Chiitan account posted on Thursday. o.o

The Twitter account resposts stuff on occasion.

Also, the favorite tweet that Oliver mentioned is actually a reference to a specific meme, that makes it even better, but he didn't mention that.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The universe is weird

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    chiitan really lays it on thick huh

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    The Chiitan ep and involvement of a Japanese city and mascot had strong Colbert Report energy

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    chiitan really lays it on thick huh

Beatings don’t pay for themselves.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    "In two weeks' time this network is so supremely fucked." Oh John Oliver.

BTW tonight's topic is Lethal Injections, so, fuck. D:

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Gotta be honest. I wasn't interested in Desert Rain Frogs.

But then I was all in for the Rain Frogs.

But then it turned out is was lethal injection.

What a ride.

• Options
    Don't worry, the episode gives you a way to hear them whenever you want.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Setting aside questions of purpose or morality, I'm glad they brought up the guillotine during the show because it's what I'd starting thinking about shortly after the bit began.

I figure the guillotine is probably one of the best methods of execution ever invented. It's fast, lethal, and %100 effective.

But it looks too much like what it is - a device for killing people. It makes people uncomfortable.

And the kind of squirmy dishonesty surrounding the search for a more "humane" method of killing people that has led to all this fuck-uppery is disgusting. It is what it is.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    RT800 wrote: »
    Setting aside questions of purpose or morality, I'm glad they brought up the guillotine during the show because it's what I'd starting thinking about shortly after the bit began.

I figure the guillotine is probably one of the best methods of execution ever invented. It's fast, lethal, and %100 effective.

But it looks too much like what it is - a device for killing people. It makes people uncomfortable.

And the kind of squirmy dishonesty surrounding the search for a more "humane" method of killing people that has led to all this fuck-uppery is disgusting. It is what it is.

Also, thanks to the French Revolution, it has become a symbol of oppression, mob rule and government ruling by fear for pretty much the entire western world.

Monsieur Guillotine does not come out when things are civil, but during Interesting Times.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Also, thanks to the French Revolution, it has become a symbol of oppression, mob rule and government ruling by fear for pretty much the entire western world.

Guillotine are more a symbol of the violent overthrow of a corrupt aristocracy that could easily have avoided it if they had not been both focused on owning everything and had not been completely out of touch with reality and the actual situation.

There's a reason taxes are guillotine insurance.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »

Guillotine are more a symbol of the violent overthrow of a corrupt aristocracy that could easily have avoided it if they had not been both focused on owning everything and had not been completely out of touch with reality and the actual situation.

There's a reason taxes are guillotine insurance.

That would be fair... if it stopped with Louis and Marie Capet.

I remember a story about how one of the original leaders or the Revolution back during the Tennis Court Oath was asked what was his greatest achievement during the Reign of Terror. His Answer? "I survived."

Also, the orignal post had "Anarchy" in there before I edited it out.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You know we could just stop state sanctioned murder instead of trying to find out the most efficient way of doing it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that we should outlaw executions, but that if you are going to do it the governor of the state should have to kill the person themselves as they hold the final power over life and death in our stupid system. Russian style pistol to the back of the ear.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that it should be mandatory to watch executions.

Twitch: Thawmus83