As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I was hoping something else as I didn't want to hear about Trump or elections any more.
    We have other Daily Show alumni that constantly cover Ameropolitics.

John Oliver was better than that!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    Yeah. I was hoping something else as I didn't want to hear about Trump or elections any more.

At least his Trump stuff was funny.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    He had a non-election main topic just last week.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

and also this is a pretty big deal. It'd be silly to ignore it in favor of something else.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

and also this is a pretty big deal. It'd be silly to ignore it in favor of something else.

LWT:s value has been in that it covers stories that everyone else isn't covering. His contribution is literally not needed, when everyone else is doing it.

I'd rather hear about less talked about issues or some international thing. I.E stuff that no one else is covering.
    honovere wrote: »

He has been doing the 2016 elections *or insert his tirade here* bit for half a year.
    Problem for me was, that he didn't bring anything new on the table. I'd rather hear about something I didn't know from multiple talking heads before him.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    To put this into perspective: a guy who's backed by literal white supremacists won the presidency after two terms of the first black president ever.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if he didn't decide to say something about it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    To put this into perspective: a guy who's backed by literal white supremacists won the presidency after two terms of the first black president ever.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if he didn't decide to say something about it.

In retrospect it isn't that shocking, IIRC white supremacy's popularity skyrocketed during the Civil Rights movement. And Democratic presidents. This is backlash against Obama at least in part. :(

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

LWT:s value has been in that it covers stories that everyone else isn't covering. His contribution is literally not needed, when everyone else is doing it.

I'd rather hear about less talked about issues or some international thing. I.E stuff that no one else is covering.
    honovere wrote: »

He has been doing the 2016 elections *or insert his tirade here* bit for half a year.
    Problem for me was, that he didn't bring anything new on the table. I'd rather hear about something I didn't know from multiple talking heads before him.

I strongly disagree with the bolded.

First, not "Everyone else" is doing it. A large part of the show was talking about how there are echo chambers being set up and people aren't seeing the same things. So even if everyone was covering how bad this was, people are tuning it out. John openly admits he's part of that same echo chamber, so sharing the video won't help.

Second, I saw him give a much more concrete solution than I've seen offered anywhere else. He listed a whole bunch of charities to donate to, as well as journalists to support. He told people not to flee to Canada. And he pointed out how important it was to work from now through 2018 and beyond.

Finally.. this is catharsis. The election of Trump is an issue, and an international thing. And he put a giant stamp on it, saying he has no intentions of backing down in fear. He is going to hold the administration to task, good or bad.. And he'll be coming back online just around the time the rubber meets the road for the real power of the Trump administration.

So yeah. While I can understand wanting some other topic.. the truth is, there is no more important topic to humanity right now. And he just presented marching orders to his particular echo chamber.

... as well as a weird suggestion to vandalize a Wikipedia page that I'm sure the admins over there are going to love.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yup now Diane Weist's wiki page is locked down. #thankstrump

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Not exactly a surprise considering how much it was lauded this year, but Full Frontal has been renewed.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Was it really that lauded?

Maybe I don't "get" the humor, but I've just never found FF funny. Not in the way that makes me burst into laughter at any point, like the Daily Show and kids do regularly, anyways.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »

Maybe I don't "get" the humor, but I've just never found FF funny. Not in the way that makes me burst into laughter at any point, like the Daily Show and kids do regularly, anyways.

I find Full Frontal to be funny but it's more informative than amusing. It's presented in an amusing way and Sam Bee is pretty awesome but it's a lot more "angry rant" than "funny comedy piece"

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Not exactly a surprise considering how much it was lauded this year, but Full Frontal has been renewed.

we're going to need full frontal going forward.

sam bee is just incredible.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I find Full Frontal to be funny but it's more informative than amusing. It's presented in an amusing way and Sam Bee is pretty awesome but it's a lot more "angry rant" than "funny comedy piece"

It's basically a Lewis Black standup routine every week except it's more often about shit that's important and you're not worried Sam's about to burst a ventricle.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

It's basically a Lewis Black standup routine every week except it's more often about shit that's important and you're not worried Sam's about to burst a ventricle.

Although that last bit might be sorely tested in the next season.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

It was lauded yes but it's less Comedy and more Outrage And/Or Catharsis: The Television Show

Personally I don't get a whole lot out of someone constantly being incredulously outraged on camera so it didn't do a whole lot for me either.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    I'm starting to get worried about Stephen's safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aU3kX5V634

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Colbert is a brave man. I remember when he did his speech right in front of W. and Cheney in character.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    The problem is, Cheney was Roose Bolton type of evil. Trump is thin-skinned enough that he would hound someone just for an insult.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Trump is Robin Arryn.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

Colbert is a brave man. I remember when he did his speech right in front of W. and Cheney in character.

I, for one, am happy he's doing stuff like this.

P.S.: Fuck Jimmy Fallon.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    As silly as it might seem, a full court press of our various politically-oriented late night comedians is pretty crucial for the next 4 years or so.

This has to keep seeming not normal. It can't become normal.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Kinda hoping they turn that into a "Adventures of Donomir Prumpin" cartoon. There's a lot of places they could go with that, but most likely to the "I'm not saying it's a gulag but it's a- oh look, now I'm in the gulag" Gulag, but it'll be a fun ride while it lasted.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    What's the story with John Stewart?

Isn't he getting an HBO show?

My respect and appreciation for Trevor Noah has gone up increasingly.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jon's a 54 year old suburban white dude who hasn't quite caught on that Jews are target #4 for the ascendant white supremacists. Slightly different perspective than a South African guy in his 30s.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I had a weird thought, is having some awful thing to give a Daily Show's host their footing going to become a weird like meme?

Most say John got his footing post 9-11, now Noah's getting his Post-Trump.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I think it's more of having a personal investment in what is going on. Jon was a New Yorker and 9/11 hit pretty close to home. Noah is from a (formerly) racially segregated police state. This Trump stuff must be giving the guy flashbacks.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I think it's more of having a personal investment in what is going on. Jon was a New Yorker and 9/11 hit pretty close to home. Noah is from a (formerly) racially segregated police state. This Trump stuff must be giving the guy flashbacks.

Maybe just a little.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    No, being racist makes me you racist.

Good lord, this woman has her head rammed so far up her own ass she's gone mobius.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    This is a really well handled interview from Noah.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Trevor Noah just dope smacked this girl in that interview; she was all set and ready to soap box like it was her show and trevor was having none of it.

Besides that she exposed her inherent lack of spine political conviction when she admitted to jumping on the trump band wagon after Rubio flamed out.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I think that the most difficult interview Noah's done thus far. He did a pretty impressive job keeping it going, and being on the ball in dealing with Ann Coulter V2.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Noah could barely look her in the eye the entire interview.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I'm a millenial, I don't do labels!

... tell me Noah just stared her straight on while pouring his water over her head.

I mean, I'll watch this tonight, and I assume he acted with greater professionalism than that, but here we are.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I learned that she was going to be the guest and found anything else to do for that ten minutes. Then the interview ran long. >_<

Hearing that Trevor did well might make me go back to check it out, but there's only so much of her my brain can withstand.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    It was certainly cringe-worthy, but it was worth watching to see Noah expose her.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like he litterally asked her three times how is a black guy supposed to protest and she couldn't answer him, and when she lumped BLM in with it's uglier elements she had no real response when he aksed her if trump was racist because the Klan supports him or whether the police were all in on oppressing black people due to the behaviors of various departments.

I remember a year ago people were hemming and hawing about how Trevor wasn't a really good successor for John, but he made his bones in that interview by being simultaneously respectful and unfazed by the BS pouring out of that blowhard's maw.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    He still lost because he gave new anne coulter a platform for her hate.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net