As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm glad to have that 55% statistic in my pocket now, RE: representation by the Senate. Maybe now people will get why I'm mad as fuck at both parties in America RE: immigration.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/AytDzZ2ecCc

I'm so desperately terrified they're going to en masse disqualify enough ballots to stop the blue shift so Trump declares early victory and is able to lawsuit his way to a 2nd term.

John oliver laying out everything going wrong with our election logistics.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/AytDzZ2ecCc

I'm so desperately terrified they're going to en masse disqualify enough ballots to stop the blue shift so Trump declares early victory and is able to lawsuit his way to a 2nd term.

John oliver laying out everything going wrong with our election logistics.

On top of the Republican shenanigans to gerrymand the fuck out of any state they can, a topic that John Oliver has also covered extensively.

Trump has oh so obviously telegraphed (saying the quiet parts aloud) his intention to invalidate the election results by kicking the outcome over to the Supreme Court that he's deliberately stacked with conservatives. Either way, that diseased vector won't go quietly into the night.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm glad to have that 55% statistic in my pocket now, RE: representation by the Senate. Maybe now people will get why I'm mad as fuck at both parties in America RE: immigration.

Your mad as fuck at both parties due to an issue overwhelmingly caused by one party, maintained by one party, and advocated for by one party? I think you took the wrong message away there.

That number isn't the representation of ALL hispanic people in the USA, IE, meaning that the lack of a path to citizenship is to blame. Its the representation of hispanic CITIZENS of the USA. IE, the problem is bigger than that if you include those who are here in our communities but disallowed from voting. It's just the effect of where our hispanic citizens choose to live, placing themselves overwhelmingly in our most populous states (California, Texas and Florida) where senate representation is pathetic.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    John Oliver got his sewage plant. :lol:

I enjoy how genuinely delighted Oliver has been at the thought of having a sewage plant named after him. I know for some people there's a bit of hand wringing over supposedly holding charity money for ransom; but I have no doubt that he was always going to give the money either way. In fact, as the article states, one of the organizations received a donation, slightly larger than promised, even before the vote was held (though some are still waiting for money).

In a dumb year that has lasted four decades, sometimes stupid but funny is nice for a moment.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hey you know what owns?

This episode of Some More News.

It perfectly captures how I feel about the election / voting for Biden. Vote for him! But he sucks and should do better! And it's okay to say he sucks and should do better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyljtELZ8k

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I see annoying shtick guy remains annoying.

• Options
    I'm impressed you watched a half hour video in 7 minutes to have that take-away!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    When that video popped up it reminded me to unsub from his youtube channel so that was a benefit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm impressed you watched a half hour video in 7 minutes to have that take-away!

I made it 5.

I've given him 20-30 minutes of my time multiple times in the past.

It's been a mistake literally every single time.

• Options

I made it 5.

Incidentally this is how I feel about the Democratic Party.

• Options

I made it 5.

Incidentally this is how I feel about the Democratic Party.

You're given the Democratic party 20-30 minutes of your time multiple times in the past in order to watch a poorly performed youtube video and it's been a mistake literally every single time?

That's... odd.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thats a horribly clumsy segue into complaining about the Dems, and deserves points for that as much as being off topic.

• Options
    The John Oliver episode regarding the WHO and Trump's intent to pull the U.S. out of it by mid 2021 is rage-inducing. Biden needs to win to overturn that shit, ASAP.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    John's long term foil is no more:
    Robert E. Murray, the founder and former president and CEO of Murray Energy Corp., formerly the largest privately-held underground coal company in the country, has died. He was 80 years old.

Murray’s death was reported Sunday evening by television stations WTOV9 in Steubenville, Ohio, and WOWK in Huntington, West Virginia. According to the news outlets, a spokesperson for the Murray family and a coal industry official confirmed his death.

Murray last week announced he was retiring as chairman of the board of American Consolidated Natural Resources, the newly formed coal company that emerged following the conclusion of Murray Energy’s bankruptcy process this summer. Last month, the Ohio Valley ReSource reported the coal magnate had applied for federal black lung benefits. On his application, Murray wrote he was heavily dependent on the oxygen tank he was frequently seen using and was “near death.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    John's long term foil is no more:
    Robert E. Murray, the founder and former president and CEO of Murray Energy Corp., formerly the largest privately-held underground coal company in the country, has died. He was 80 years old.

Murray’s death was reported Sunday evening by television stations WTOV9 in Steubenville, Ohio, and WOWK in Huntington, West Virginia. According to the news outlets, a spokesperson for the Murray family and a coal industry official confirmed his death.

Murray last week announced he was retiring as chairman of the board of American Consolidated Natural Resources, the newly formed coal company that emerged following the conclusion of Murray Energy’s bankruptcy process this summer. Last month, the Ohio Valley ReSource reported the coal magnate had applied for federal black lung benefits. On his application, Murray wrote he was heavily dependent on the oxygen tank he was frequently seen using and was “near death.”

That he applied for black lung benefits while simultaneously pushing for reduced safety is rage
    Inducing.

Eat shit Bob. And enjoy sucking oxygen in hell.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Mychal Denzel Smith was on The Daily Show last night and holy shit. I think he may have broken my brain with how ridiculous he sounded.

Not verbatim, but basically:
    "If Biden running on just winning, getting Trump out of office, and moving forward, then that's it. We're all doomed. There's not enough time to return to normal, and then move forward after that. We will be trapped in the delusion that we have done anything to address any problems. But if Trump wins, then there's going to immediately be a progressive revolution that will not only force Trump out of office before he can do anything, but that will also sweep in every progressive wet dream imaginable."

He's right about the first half that after Biden wins people aren't going to be as forceful for fixing things, but Trump winning again isn't going to bring about a revolution.

• Options
    I dunno if any of you saw recently in the news, but Ice Cube decided he was going to 'break bread' with Trump about... who knows what. And people lashed out, rightfully so. And from what I see he still doesn't get it. Anyway, Amber Ruffin had some words for him on Seth Meyers and she fucking nails it. This is less comedy and more statement-that-must-be-made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogUVkxB9vmk

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh god I saw on twitter John Stewart is coming back to do a new 1 hour long current affairs show on apple + yikes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Can we please finally just start putting the nails in the coffin of Apple +?

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh god I saw on twitter John Stewart is coming back to do a new 1 hour long current affairs show on apple + yikes.

They must have offered him an incredibly sweet deal. Something like full creative control, being able to donate to charities like Jon Oliver, a blank check for his farm sanctuary, etc.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    “Yes, literal dump trucks full of money for my team to do good things with. Just keep ‘em coming. I’ll let you know when we’re square.”

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

They must have offered him an incredibly sweet deal. Something like full creative control, being able to donate to charities like Jon Oliver, a blank check for his farm sanctuary, etc.

It only being once a week (or even less possibly?) is probably a big part of it too. It was increasingly clear towards the end of his run on TDS that the grind of doing a show every day was wearing him down increasingly fast even after they went to a Mon-Thur schedule.

• Options
    THIS IS THE KIND OF STORY WE NEED RIGHT NOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcWULhqp5Hw

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    John Oliver did a double deep dive on his show last night, highlighting both the many, many ways Trump failed in the coronavirus response:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVo4fnpLC8

Also, how dangerous Bill Barr is and what he'd try to do with another 4 years of Trump:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE63HmOYGps

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He's not even fascist enough for Trump who wants to replace him. Possibly with Jeanine Pirro.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    He's not even fascist enough for Trump who wants to replace him. Possibly with Jeanine Pirro.

He's probably been the most competent employee Trump has had during his tenure, so it makes sense he wants to replace him.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Anyone who is remotely competent or respecting of norms falls afoul of a bus sooner or later

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Anyone who is remotely competent or respecting of norms falls afoul of a bus sooner or later

Yup. These rallygoers should be glad there is no bus, rather than being thrown under one.

• Options
    Some More News did an episode that opens VERY weirdly, but just to help people get through it because I admittedly almost gave up:

The topic is how media (particularly motion pictures) used Trump as framework for villains. Even Sesame Street did this. It also covers how the writing was on the wall for the problems we have in the modern day, as far back as the 1980s. And film & television just kinda... was optimistic about "ha ha, that'll NEVER happen."

It's two hours long, so they called it a 'movie.'

Also, Super Mario Bros is... good actually? Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj-wc9qugGY

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It isn't though

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I went back to check, always thought the old backdrop was animated. It was not! Memories are weird.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’ve watched almost all of SMN, but man, Cody’s shtick can wear thin after 20-30 minutes. 2 hours is literally asking a lot.

Eh, maybe some day, but today will not be that day.

*goes back to furiously refreshing the election thread*

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I love me some SMN and from what I’ve watched the movie is genuinely one of his funniest things. “It farts teeth” is a great line.

but 2 hours a loooooot. I haven’t finished it yet

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I view the Super Mario Bros movie in the same light as the Howard the Duck movie:

Yes, I recognize they are abominations, but I was a child when they came out and I enjoyed them then, so I give them a pass. I’m sure many people liked the Star Wars prequel trilogy as children and will give them a pass unto adulthood even though they are ABSOLUTELY WRONG!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Forar wrote: »
    I’ve watched almost all of SMN, but man, Cody’s shtick can wear thin after 20-30 minutes. 2 hours is literally asking a lot.

Eh, maybe some day, but today will not be that day.

*goes back to furiously refreshing the election thread*

I'll take a lunch break for an hour-long, focused dismantling of a Ben or a Tucker.

And I could do a feature length Boar video.

But the description isn't very Ben- or boar-forward, so it's gonna have to wait. Later tonight, perhaps, when I'm desperate for anything to make me stop refreshing election results and just wait for the deluge of push notification indicating what happened.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Stephen Colbert goes off book, gets visibly upset a couple times, and tears into Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeSiJmLoJd0

• Options
    Speaking of Colbert, this animation that he put out for the 2020 Election is comedy gold:

https://youtu.be/MhS3lG1KIO8

My wife and I were laughing so hard, lol.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    Speaking of Colbert, this animation that he put out for the 2020 Election is comedy gold:

https://youtu.be/MhS3lG1KIO8

My wife and I were laughing so hard, lol.

I literally came to this thread to make sure this was posted.

It's just wonderful, especially for someone who was a kid during its inspiration's release.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Stephen Colbert goes off book, gets visibly upset a couple times, and tears into Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeSiJmLoJd0
    Also, you really do need to look into the Yumnut thing. It's... definitely a thing. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png