As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Podcast]s are blood. [Podcast]s are life. Devote your ears

19495969798100»

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    So're you guys into Chap Hop or what?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    White people rapping is like rain on your wedding day.

I met MC Frontalot at PAX 06

He seemed nice enough for a dude what raps about transformers.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ironically does not mean comically, although the two have a lot of crossover

You can do something with a sense of humor without it being due to a sneering distaste for it

I feel like by definition when you do something ironically you are doing it because you dislike it

Then you have the wrong definition for irony. It's okay though, most people do.

What would you consider the correct definition? Specifically in the sense of liking something or doing something ironically?

Because in usage, that's what the vast majority of people I have encountered are referring to when they say that they like something ironically.

I mean, there are multiple definitions with different nuances, one of which is "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result". Weird Al is a good example. Sometimes he'll do a parody of something that's based around the subject matter of his version being the complete opposite in tone or concept from the original. There's irony in that subversion of expectation/familiarity, but there's no inherent indictment or mean-spiritedness in play. In fact, the nature of his work often shows a sincere appreciation of and respect for the original material, even while making jokes with it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

You can do something with a sense of humor without it being due to a sneering distaste for it

I feel like by definition when you do something ironically you are doing it because you dislike it

What would you consider the correct definition? Specifically in the sense of liking something or doing something ironically?

Because in usage, that's what the vast majority of people I have encountered are referring to when they say that they like something ironically.

I mean, there are multiple definitions with different nuances, one of which is "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result". Weird Al is a good example. Sometimes he'll do a parody of something that's based around the subject matter of his version being the complete opposite in tone or concept from the original. There's irony in that subversion of expectation/familiarity, but there's no inherent indictment or mean-spiritedness in play. In fact, the nature of his work often shows a sincere appreciation of and respect for the original material, even while making jokes with it.

See, I wouldn't considering Weird Al to make music ironically

I would, however, say that he uses irony in the music that he makes

It's specifically about the action being performed ironically, as opposed to the creation of an ironic dissonance in the result

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I was house sitting this week, and the house somehow got Canada's indigenous TV station, so that was basically all I watched

There was this nightly block of music videos, and boy, there is some bad Indian rap out there, holy crap. Like these two Apache brothers with dwarfism who did a rap about making shawtys do a rain dance

There was also a guy who rapped partially in Anishinaabe, which was fucking sick as hell, so it was overall worth it I guess

Yo who is this Anishinaabe rapper, that sounds sweet as hell

This is the video I saw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61V69jRF5ys

Got a lowkey, early-Atmosphere vibe (unsurprising, given the region he's from) when he raps in English. It's a little... over-earnest, a little too much telling-not-showing, but fine.

But the Anishinaabe rap portions are super, super cool

Poorochondriac on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I was house sitting this week, and the house somehow got Canada's indigenous TV station, so that was basically all I watched

There was this nightly block of music videos, and boy, there is some bad Indian rap out there, holy crap. Like these two Apache brothers with dwarfism who did a rap about making shawtys do a rain dance

There was also a guy who rapped partially in Anishinaabe, which was fucking sick as hell, so it was overall worth it I guess

Yo who is this Anishinaabe rapper, that sounds sweet as hell

This is the video I saw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61V69jRF5ys

Got a lowkey, early-Atmosphere vibe (unsurprising, given the region he's from) when he raps in English. It's a little... over-earnest, a little too much telling-not-showing, but fine.

But the Anishinaabe rap portions are super, super cool

Yeah, that's really cool

It's specifically about the action being performed ironically, as opposed to the creation of an ironic dissonance in the result

I don't see how that's a distinction. Irony is a rhetorical concept. Whether or not an act contains is it entirely dependent on the content of the act, because one informs the other.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

For example, epic rap battles of history v. Hamilton

PNk1Ml4.png
    Also I just thought of the perfect example of how something can be ironic without disdaining any of the things it is involving but I can't talk about it right now because it's still a work in progress.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.