Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Look upon my [game design] ye Mighty, and despair!

13»

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Roger that, thank you for looking into my thing.

I really like Voltage from what I've seen, and the unfortunate eternal Caterpie battle that was the game of it I was involved with on here.

It's so simple, but I have to say my favourite thing about Voltage is the fact you give your initial Pokemon two types based on what moves you want them to use. For me at least it creates a really strong impression of your Pokemon from just the irregular typing. Say, a Fairy/Electric pikachu versus an Electric/Fighting one, you know?

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish Swish Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Yeah, I'm immensely proud of the leeway offered in creating a Pokemon. Being able to completely customize your Typing, Moves, Weakness, and Resistances with a handful of elements and keywords gives you a lot of options without being too complicated, and as a GM I'm always really excited to see which direction a player takes in improving their pokemon.

Like 'oh man, that Move they designed is perfect. I can't wait to see how they describe it in battle.'

Marshmallow on
    edited February 17
    So you should be! It's pretty dang cool.

I do wonder if you could create a player driven system for it, so the opposing pokemon's attack, defence and possible counter-attack are rolled into the result of the player's roll, and whether that would speed things up and stop potential stalemates. But honestly its grand how it is right now. To be fair, that's just my Apocalypse World showing.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited February 17
    In actual practice lately, I've started countering each player action with a enemy action. Participation isn't quite what it used to be (I only have one or two active players at the moment), so waiting for a round to complete could end up wasting weeks. This interferes with the utility of the Speed stat a bit, but as far as concessions to the vagaries of PbP attendance go, it could be worse.

Base voltage also doesn't use dice! That was something that was added to the version you played, which I am more than a little ambivalent about. One of my core design tenets was that a Pokemon Move should always accomplish something, even if it isn't as much as you'd hoped, so attacks that could outright 'miss' weren't really a thing (between an equal number of relatively equal exp Pokemon, battles shouldn't last much longer than 4 rounds, was how I tried to calculate things).

I did make a diced version based off of 'Strike!' though, with d6 rolls determining whether an attack didn't deal quite as much damage as it should, or if you landed a coveted Critical Hit. It would probably be really easy to make a 'Pokemon World' off of a Voltage base, but I haven't really given it much thought, what with how much I enjoy my dicelessness.

Marshmallow on
    Oh really, well that is very interesting to know! Do you have a link to your original version?

edited February 17
    Current version is on the Voltage Wiki. Without random input, Pokemon battles typically play out as a battle of wits between trainers, as they attempt to figure out, and take advantage of, weaknesses in their opponent's Pokemon and leverage the strengths of their own. Trainer actions (and Pokemon Assists) are largely token based. You spend Voltage and Trait tokens from your trainer to either accomplish specific effects (Exploits) or exchange them temporarily for more specific token effects that you expect to use later (Support).

It's a bit weird, but it's worked so far.

Marshmallow on
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I make a lot of half finished games, but what I'm posting here is, basically, me the roleplaying game. This is what I go to whenever I just want to play with some mates or the little humans that I visit between deployments without prep or having to teach complex rules.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d8erMuS6fthSJF2cYyO22siptufyj62noMFsV-v4fVo/edit

It's my ad-lib anything roleplaying game, Waiting for the Bus in the Rain.

There isn't much to it but it's finished and pretty darn fun. It wouldn't hold up to anything more than an afternoon if you want to play "Ninja Italian Renaissance Painters" or "X-Men Run a Coffee Shop", though I myself once GM'ed about two months of "Heavy Metal Band Fight Jotun Who Have Kidnapped Thor and Taken Over the World" with just the core rules I'm presenting here.

I think it would work okay in play by post format, and I'd be interesting in taking it for a spin on here, any thoughts?

I think this is so crazy it might work. Sounds a bit like one game where everyone is in the car and they are pretending to be members of a failed bank robbery and one player is shot.

edited February 17
    Ha thank you for taking a look. That's the cover quote if ever there was one.

It's pretty fun starting from scratch with a few opening questions, like "How long has it been since all technology failed?" or "Why is it a bad idea to cross Cervantes and why did you?" and just going from there.

There isn't much to it rule wise, but I find the "sly bargain" to be a decent GM tool that I use elsewhere. It's pretty much my "let them knowingly create problems because they're greedy".

A good roleplaying story to me is like a Venture Bros episode. Total carnage they instigate and potentially survive on top of.

Endless_Serpents on
    The sly bargain is pretty great. It's a built in "are you suuuuure" for the GM to the players, which is always a nice moment in play.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    So, weird question regarding Rising tides: Based off of the setting and mechanics what sort of characters do you think would make good pre-gens and what sort of gear level do you think new players should have to start with?

dJOrVG2.png
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So, i'm looking into making a worker placement game where the workers are actually different (sort of like deck building) and i am at the "play more games of this type to understand the genre a little more".

Orleans comes to mind, any other game like that were workers themselves are different?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • AuralynxAuralynx Super-Classy Crow On Silk!Registered User regular
    So, i'm looking into making a worker placement game where the workers are actually different (sort of like deck building) and i am at the "play more games of this type to understand the genre a little more".

Orleans comes to mind, any other game like that were workers themselves are different?

I'd suggest Praetor, which has a clever dice-as-workers implementation where their numerical value determines how effective they are on most of the resource-producing tiles, and forces you to retire them and pay their pensions once they hit 6.

Argent: the Consortium also comes to mind, though their interaction with the spell cards in that is a significant factor in how the workers are differentiated.

Those are the two that come to mind for me, at least; someone who's deeper into worker-placement stuff may have other suggestions.

Zombie Hero
    edited February 25
    I won't bore you with my simple mechanics, but knowing it would be an easy to learn story game, does this interest anyone?

"You are an ace starfighter pilot in the war against the Maelstrom!

Our enemy has an astounding capacity to shatter our lines and learn our battle patterns, and so you have been gifted unique, modifiable personalised starfighters to disrupt the enemy's ambitions!"

Each ship houses a "pinup", an intelligent A.I navigator and advisor attuned for each pilot with quirky personalities.

Every pilot has a "flock" of drones, cheap fodder at their disposal to carry out simple tasks or take a few hits for them.

The enemy would be a completely unknown force, this Maelstrom is whatever the GM wants, but I'd personally allude to them just being another civilisation of normal humans slowly over the course of a campaign.

The game would be played in obvious phases: onboard the mothership getting ready, doing a mission, coming back for a debrief.

Lastly, every pilot is given a side goal alongside the main mission, which will earn them credit if completed, but may put them at odds with others.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny A Storyteller Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mean basically make it BitD with some more modular playbooks and using the flock as your stress (they take hits or do actions to prevent consequences/let you push yourselves with their assistance) would work fine.

dJOrVG2.png
    Been thinking about the West Marches style of games (obliviously) and most games struggle with some of the elements of it, such as power differences between levels, progression, none combat stuff in interesting ways (mostly because of how combat focused d20 games are) but I think if I did a Cortex/MHR based game that had Fantasy classes, you could pretty much solve most of the problems of a West March style game. Might have to look into that concept...

edited February 28
    Anything with Apocalypse World as a base would work. Everyone would keep roughly the same health and damage output per level. Advances in AW tend to be narrative, or situational.

I could see a L1 Gunlugger kicking a L4 Hardholder if they had time to prepare.

And then there is stuff like the Driver. A low level Driver is still the Driver, the best guy behind a wheel in the world.

Hell, Apocalypse March might just be something I do one day!

Endless_Serpents on
    Dungeon World March is what TheRoadVirus is doing for ThatDnDPodcast.

• The SauceThe Sauce Alek Sandria Registered User regular
    Doing my first game demo at a con! I hit up the guy I met at the FLGS test event and got a volunteer pass for this weekend at CoastCon in Biloxi. It's super exciting and also a bit terrifying.

I'll be bringing a friend with me, one who's been there from the beginning with this game's development and is currently the only other person to have ever run a game and created his own enemies. That'll help ease the nerves a whole lot. We'll scope out the convention this Friday, get a sense of what we're dealing with, so we can run demos the following two days.

The only convention I've ever even attended is PAX South (once), which in retrospect seems like a whole bunch of missed opportunities.

I have no idea what to expect. I'm hoping I get more people interested in trying a game than at the FLGS; day one went well, but I had trouble getting people the other days. That's not surprising; people go to the store to play other games with friends already, compete in tournaments, or buy things. I'm expecting to get a lot more interest in a convention demo room whose entire purpose is to get people to come by and play games.

I'm not entirely sure what to do if this doesn't work; I need this in order to get enough playtesters to tell whether the game's viable for publishing. Doing anything more than this would cost a lot of money, meaning I'd have to look into finding a publisher instead of planning a Kickstarter, and I don't really want to go that direction if I can avoid it. So here's hoping!

OTOH I've already learned a great deal just from the meager playtests I've been able to run so far. Feedback has helped me figure out what I need to pare down in order to sensibly sell this game (pretty much going to have to run with just 5 levels in the base game, probably including all 5 in the starter set, which means only 4 players' worth of cards, DM included), some terms to change, and where the appeal lies. My favorite bit of feedback so far was from a Magic player who said he'd tried several RPGs but just couldn't get into them; this game was the exception and was an RPG he could really play. Hooray for uniting the hobby's subcultures!

I've also had to spend a lot of time lately doing not-design, which is decidedly less fun. Getting a website back up, doing social media, making signs and "business" card handouts, that sort of thing. Another friend (the wife of the friend that's going to the con with me) is making us t-shirts with the game's logo on them, which is awesome. But really, the most enjoyable parts of this are just working on new card designs and playing the game with cool people. Hopefully I'll be doing a whole lot of the latter this weekend!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Albino BunnyDisruptedCapitalistMarshmallowFuselage
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Doing my first game demo at a con! I hit up the guy I met at the FLGS test event and got a volunteer pass for this weekend at CoastCon in Biloxi. It's super exciting and also a bit terrifying.

I'll be bringing a friend with me, one who's been there from the beginning with this game's development and is currently the only other person to have ever run a game and created his own enemies. That'll help ease the nerves a whole lot. We'll scope out the convention this Friday, get a sense of what we're dealing with, so we can run demos the following two days.

The only convention I've ever even attended is PAX South (once), which in retrospect seems like a whole bunch of missed opportunities.

I have no idea what to expect. I'm hoping I get more people interested in trying a game than at the FLGS; day one went well, but I had trouble getting people the other days. That's not surprising; people go to the store to play other games with friends already, compete in tournaments, or buy things. I'm expecting to get a lot more interest in a convention demo room whose entire purpose is to get people to come by and play games.

I'm not entirely sure what to do if this doesn't work; I need this in order to get enough playtesters to tell whether the game's viable for publishing. Doing anything more than this would cost a lot of money, meaning I'd have to look into finding a publisher instead of planning a Kickstarter, and I don't really want to go that direction if I can avoid it. So here's hoping!

OTOH I've already learned a great deal just from the meager playtests I've been able to run so far. Feedback has helped me figure out what I need to pare down in order to sensibly sell this game (pretty much going to have to run with just 5 levels in the base game, probably including all 5 in the starter set, which means only 4 players' worth of cards, DM included), some terms to change, and where the appeal lies. My favorite bit of feedback so far was from a Magic player who said he'd tried several RPGs but just couldn't get into them; this game was the exception and was an RPG he could really play. Hooray for uniting the hobby's subcultures!

I've also had to spend a lot of time lately doing not-design, which is decidedly less fun. Getting a website back up, doing social media, making signs and "business" card handouts, that sort of thing. Another friend (the wife of the friend that's going to the con with me) is making us t-shirts with the game's logo on them, which is awesome. But really, the most enjoyable parts of this are just working on new card designs and playing the game with cool people. Hopefully I'll be doing a whole lot of the latter this weekend!

I'll throw what money I have to see this become a thing. I'm sure a lot of people on PA and in CF will throw what money they can at this to become a thing. You've always got our support. You might need some sort of FLGS tour, which might suck for traveling as I'm sure being a designer isn't your job, but it would get word out too. But as far as product, having enough for only 3 players and a DM seems really bad, imo. Most groups are like 4-5 players and a DM, but you will be able to sell Class Packs day one. Or maybe people will buy multiple sets of the core box. But still, tell me when and I'll throw money at it until I have all the classes, add-ons, and adventure packs!

The Sauce
    I'll definitely have packs for individual players and more :) Still have plenty of time to nail down the specifics - need to contact some printers and get some details, etc. I just want to keep the starter set below a hundred bucks, preferably under 80.

Thank you for the support :D I'm trying to veer on the side of sharing my experiences more than anything else though, as I know it's against the rules to shill for your personal projects (and a good rule it is).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Had a really great time at CoastCon! It was only my second con, after PAX South, so my first small town kind of convention. The more laid-back atmosphere was great for getting used to running a demo table.

I met one of the guys behind Tortured Earth RPG, and he pulled me over several times for lengthy chats, totally taking me under his wing to give me tons of great knowledge and advice about indie game publishing, running vendor tables at cons, and more. Really excellent dude. Picked up a copy of his game in thanks, which he signed for me. Conventions are the best. I also was the sole attendee of a panel titled "The Art of the Game Demo," which meant it really just turned into a Q&A kind of discussion with the panelists, all of whom were demo representatives for various publishers and independent marketing firms for games. Really cool insight from that experience, too.

Looks like it'll be a little bit before our next convention. Maybe MobiCon in May. Out first big one will probably be QuestCon in October, with current attendance projections set at around 5 times the size of CoastCon. That gives us lots of time to really get our shit together.

As far as the game demos themselves? We got to run 3 demos over 2 days, which wasn't bad for an RPG at a small convention. The reception was fantastic. One guy who played yesterday (after running around in an on-point cosplay of the band Ghost on Saturday) said that it was the most fun he had at the entire convention!

At this point I need to get a few art resources on board; I've stretched the logo sketch about as far as it'll go and need something more complete. I also want to replace some of the quick-and-dirty open-license art I grabbed from using Google Image Search, especially now that we're starting to do some actual (albeit zero-cost) marketing. Apparently a couple major art museums have dumped digital versions of their entire collections online with completely open license for use, allowing for derivative works and free commercial use. That's pretty incredible and will hopefully work nicely for the next prototype revision (with some of the art potentially making it all the way to the full game, especially if that'll mean I don't have to use any repeat art like I'm currently doing in spades).

Albino BunnyGrunt's GhostsFuselage
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo A lemon squeezed in the salty fist of Poseidon Registered User regular

Trickerion has different worker types. The main difference is that they are variable numbers of actions so they can achieve different amounts of stuff when deployed but also you need to use your magician to trigger performances and other types grant specific bonuses if they are back stage

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm working on a Frankensteined d20 system for an IRC RPG and I'm scratching my head on some of the combat mechanics. It's got firearms and swords so I've been mulling over including variable attacks per round based on weapon type. Could you recommend any systems I can reference, to see how that might be balanced out? The game is very rule-of-cool so I don't want swords to end up totally nerfed next to a gun that can attack four times in a round, but likewise it just doesn't make sense to me that a PC would be able to attack the same number of times with both.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited March 17
    Reznik wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm working on a Frankensteined d20 system for an IRC RPG and I'm scratching my head on some of the combat mechanics. It's got firearms and swords so I've been mulling over including variable attacks per round based on weapon type. Could you recommend any systems I can reference, to see how that might be balanced out? The game is very rule-of-cool so I don't want swords to end up totally nerfed next to a gun that can attack four times in a round, but likewise it just doesn't make sense to me that a PC would be able to attack the same number of times with both.
    Honestly my brain went the opposite direction -- that you could swing a sword around faster than you could fire a gun due to reloading, aim, kickback, etc. But I guess it depends on the setting? Like if you're going with quality modern/future assault rifles instead of older tech?

I know that Tortured Earth uses guns, swords, and magic together in one system and one setting, so that's an option. It differentiates them more by combat options and ammo requirements than by attacks per round. Basically each weapon type comes with a number of possible attacks (plus a basic attack), so when you invest skill points into the weapon, you're actually investing into a chosen special attack (and get the basic attack by default).

If you're going totally rule of cool, then you can always just ignore the "this doesn't make sense to me" because that's literally the whole point of the rule of cool. OTOH if you want something more concrete, decide why people use swords in your world if there's awesome guns readily available. When you come up with a good reason for it, it'll probably offer reasonable options for how to balance them in the game.

The Sauce on
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    I'm a Fan of 4th Ed D&D, you don't do extra attacks, but you simulate them with adding additional attack dice to the single attack. You just flavor the attacks in such a way to get your desired result, like "Fanning the Hammer" attack does 3 weapon dice of damage on hit, 1/2 on miss.

I also am not a fan of multiple attacks. It seriously slows combat down.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    The Sauce
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »
    Honestly my brain went the opposite direction -- that you could swing a sword around faster than you could fire a gun due to reloading, aim, kickback, etc. But I guess it depends on the setting? Like if you're going with quality modern/future assault rifles instead of older tech?

I know that Tortured Earth uses guns, swords, and magic together in one system and one setting, so that's an option. It differentiates them more by combat options and ammo requirements than by attacks per round. Basically each weapon type comes with a number of possible attacks (plus a basic attack), so when you invest skill points into the weapon, you're actually investing into a chosen special attack (and get the basic attack by default).

If you're going totally rule of cool, then you can always just ignore the "this doesn't make sense to me" because that's literally the whole point of the rule of cool. OTOH if you want something more concrete, decide why people use swords in your world if there's awesome guns readily available. When you come up with a good reason for it, it'll probably offer reasonable options for how to balance them in the game.

Yeah, it's for a Shadowrun/Final Fantasy VII/etc. type setting where you have swords and magic alongside automatics and sniper rifles and whatnot, so that's really why I started thinking "huh, mechanically an assault rifle should act differently than a magic sword". Not even really just for 'realism' per se, but it will add a bit more variety to combat and differentiate the classes a little more if the weapons act differently. Thanks for the rec on Tortured Earth, I'll take a look at it.
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm a Fan of 4th Ed D&D, you don't do extra attacks, but you simulate them with adding additional attack dice to the single attack. You just flavor the attacks in such a way to get your desired result, like "Fanning the Hammer" attack does 3 weapon dice of damage on hit, 1/2 on miss.

I also am not a fan of multiple attacks. It seriously slows combat down.

Interesting, I hadn't considered tweaking the damage instead. I'm working off the bones of a system some friends of mine used previously where a hit was a hit no matter what, so there was no damage roll, every success did X damage based on your weapon and stats. So I think that made things a lot faster and easier in a multi-attack turn, since you just had to roll your 4d20 (or whatever) and not worry about another set of rolls after that. (Also using a dicebot is way faster than rolling handfuls of dice in person).

I played a bit of 4th Ed ages ago so I don't remember much, but I'll definitely take a look at it and see if I can incorporate anything.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
13»