The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Look upon my [game design] ye Mighty, and despair!

124»

• FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited August 22
    I meant that there would be three decks at the table for players. All the magic stuff (spells, cantrips, even magical social stuff) would go in the Mage deck so if you wanted a magical character you'd pull more from that deck. Likewise for Rogue and Warrior abilities. You'd be able to look at the colors of someone's cards and say "Ah, a Gish." or "Yeah, that's the wizard." If you were doing team PvP role-playing, which I'm on the fence about in this instance.

The At-Will or Encounter would basically be "Use this once and discard it" or "Use this once and flip it over until the next encounter." You'd get to change your hand at the end of an adventure, probably.

Like I was talking about in the Role-playing thread, I'd want each ability or spell to combine with one other card, OR two others of the different decks/suits.

Edit: God, a somewhat randomized deckbuilder fantasy RPG with a grid and powers like 4e, the goal of grabbing treasure while the other players die and fight monsters like Frostgrave and Munchkin, and teams of heroes like any classic MOBA or Warcraft 3 Hero Arena map. That sounds like a nightmare. In that case I'd probably make the cards Offense, Defense, and Utility for less chance you get crapped on by shuffling the deck.

Fuselage on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited August 22
    I thought about it a little bit longer.

I sort of envision a market row for each class: rogue, warrior etc.

And then maybe separate discard piles for the types of powers. One default discard pile (I guess mostly at-wills but maybe some items or skill checks or whatever), one for encounters, and one for dailies. Normal deckbuilding you just have one discard pile, and when your deck runs out you reshuffle it back, but here you would only shuffle your default discard pile when cycling the deck, and leave out the encounter/daily discards until those conditions were refreshed.

This also might mean that encounter/daily powers may need an alternate, 'at-will' use. Maybe not necessarily a power, but purchasing ability, or some other resources, etc. Because if a daily power was only a daily, it would clog up your deck if you wanted to hold on to it for the right situation.

As for purchasing, you may need to figure out how much cross classing you want to allow. This can be restricted by having the resource costs depend on resources provided by that class type. For instance, maybe all the rogue cards also provide rogue currency. Low level of each class may require any type of currency, but maybe high level stuff needs rogue specific currency to focus on. Or the other option is just remove restriction - and now that i type it out it may be something that comes late in design.

Are you planning for head to head battles, yomi style? Or dungeon crawling (like, Clank! maybe)?

Edit: I think i might try just having an at-will and encounter. Then allow a player to skip their turn('rest' action) to add the encounter cards back into their main deck.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • The SauceThe Sauce Alek Sandria Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    The At-Will or Encounter would basically be "Use this once and discard it" or "Use this once and flip it over until the next encounter." You'd get to change your hand at the end of an adventure, probably.
    4E was a major influence in my design of Triptycho, a deckbuilder RPG. Here's how I solved the At-Will / Encounter / Daily split for a card game:

At-Will: These are represented in two ways. "True" At-Will are from your Gear, which are cards that you always have laid out in front of you. You can use them over and over. The second way is through cards in hand that have the Returning keyword on them. These come back to your hand after you play them.

Encounter: These are normal cards. You discard them when you play them. A special type of Gear, called Items, are discarded when you play them, too (but you don't have to draw them, they're always before you).

Daily: These are rarer and require using an extra resource to play. It's called Karma in Triptycho, a currency of sorts that you can earn as a reward for doing good things (helping someone with no monetary reward, for example, or talking your way out of unnecessary bloodshed). So you need the card and have some Karma to spend. Since Triptycho is a classic deckbuilder in that players build their decks before playing, I can do other things like put special restrictions like you can only have 1 of a particular Karma-required card in your deck. Additionally, some special treasure Gear has Karma options players can make use of without having to draw the card.

An added bonus of this method for Dailies is that Triptycho lacks a mechanic for scoring critical hits, so drawing that Karma card when you need it offers a similar rush of excitement.

These "dailies" are highly limited and rarely played, as you can see. This was intentional as I pretty much hate Daily powers in most tabletop RPGs; they tend to screw with balance and impose awkward rest patterns onto the story. With these restrictions, Triptycho's "dailies" are really more comparable to Action Points, something to use to prevent or get out of some serious trouble.

To give a nod to old rest mechanics, I let players rebuild their decks whenever they have an extended rest. It doesn't help you regain any power or capability, but it lets you retool if you're headed into a different sort of area.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Fuselage
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 9
    I don't know how much of a roleplaying game it would be (if at all) but I fancy making a card battling game based on players making a cute town, and trying to mess with their opponent's town.

I just find the idea of meticulously making a deck, all the strategy and tension, then slam!
    "I play Pumpkin Patch, and tap my Dairy Farm on the same turn!"
    "You fool, you've activated my Rose Garden, there's no hope for you now!"

Endless_Serpents on
    FuselageThe Sauce
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    edited September 10
    I don't know how much of a roleplaying game it would be (if at all) but I fancy making a card battling game based on players making a cute town, and trying to mess with their opponent's town.

I just find the idea of meticulously making a deck, all the strategy and tension, then slam!
    "I play Pumpkin Patch, and tap my Dairy Farm on the same turn!"
    "You fool, you've activated my Rose Garden, there's no hope for you now!"

I would play the fuck out of this game. Have a Game Mat and standard building types/locations but unique cards? MMMmmmm

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    The Hanged Man
    edited September 12
    I haven't had much time to think about it, but the basic concept would be like:

Two players, two mats, say four by four spaces for cards in size. You make your towns on these by playing locations. Beneath the mats would be four extra spaces for other card types.

Players would lay down a location per turn, such as Roller Diner, Fancy Gallery, Pretty Park, Frog Pond. These would provide some constant bonus or per turn credit.

Or they can instead play a bad location on their opponent's mat. Think Haunted House, Shady Club, Shipwreck Cove. These do the opposite.

After X turns both mats are full, and the towns are complete, save some options to switch out locations by playing Y card.

After towns are finished, or while making them, players can play stuff like Snooping Kids, Alien Sightings, Harvest Festival, Blue Haired Girl, Big Bully, Weekend Rain and such; fundamentally "creatures" and "spells" you'd get in other card battling games.

The aim would be to have the prettiest, safest white picket town, or least messed up, by Z turn, when the Best Town award is issued.

For themes, think Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Archie, all those Point n Click Adventures involving ambiguously lesbian teenagers.

But now I'm thinking no, it should be something else... Hmm...

Endless_Serpents on
    That actually sounds really great! I think I can put my idea to rest and just play your game.
    No need for that! You had several novel ideas just in those two short posts you've already made about it. I'd love to see what all you did with it and play your game, so if you're at all into the design side of things, please, continue!

My game's not going to be available for awhile yet anyway. I'd hoped to Kickstart it next year, but I've done several redesign passes this year after getting it into a bunch of people's hands at conventions and other places and getting tons of feedback. I'm excited about where it is now, but I have to redo a bunch of testing and refinement passes, which is going to take some time.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Fuselage
    edited September 13
    The Sauce wrote: »
    That actually sounds really great! I think I can put my idea to rest and just play your game.
    No need for that! You had several novel ideas just in those two short posts you've already made about it. I'd love to see what all you did with it and play your game, so if you're at all into the design side of things, please, continue!

My game's not going to be available for awhile yet anyway. I'd hoped to Kickstart it next year, but I've done several redesign passes this year after getting it into a bunch of people's hands at conventions and other places and getting tons of feedback. I'm excited about where it is now, but I have to redo a bunch of testing and refinement passes, which is going to take some time.

Oh, I'm just using design as a hobby for now, and usually just come up with different ways to overcomplicate people's lives. The only game design street cred is making cards for an edition of Disgruntled Decks, which is just a different version of Cards Against Humanity. You'll make better use with my ideas than I will in this thread.

But if you ever want to talk more, you know where to find me.

Edit: I had another shower thought regarding cards and games that basically ended with "That's an Epic Spell Wars expansion." It just involved adding martial fighting styles with combos for a sword and sorcery deck to mix with the previous two ESW games so instead of pure wizards you'd be Eldritch knights, spellswords, duskblades, tricksters, etc. You'd also have minions like in the second expansion but they'd be squires, thugs, and assassins. I guess I should just email the company.

Fuselage on
    The Sauce
    edited September 14
    Something I've been thinking about how to deal with is the barrier to entry for CCGs. RPGs have an entry barrier with the giant rulebooks and complex-looking character sheets, two things I've succeeded in removing from Triptycho. But I've just replaced that with "buy a bunch of cards for a game you're not even sure you'll like."

Previously I was thinking that an interested new player could just borrow cards from a group to join in a game. But unless that group has a level-appropriate set of decks already built for a guest to use, that's a pretty large time investment to put it all together. While it takes around the same time as putting a D&D character sheet together, it's harder to have ready -- you can always have a bunch of old character sheets floating around, after all.

Not to mention, the group might not even own enough cards to make an entirely new character, depending on how I go about selling it.

That's when the obvious solution hit me: add support for characters that don't use decks of cards!

At first it seems counter-intuitive. Triptycho is a card-based RPG. It needs cards to play. That's, like, a core conceit.

But then I remembered 4E Essentials, how they used some simple write-ups to create character classes that can fit in alongside PCs that use AEDU power selections. I realized I could do pretty much the same thing, and without the tables and paragraphs of text even. I could make it really simple.

Roles already exist as individual cards that have things like HP, Initiative, Training (controlling Gear access), special ability, and extra dice like Search, Acrobatics, and Charisma. Basic attacks and defenses are already granted from Gear cards, which any existing Triptycho group will have plenty of (and if they don't have extras, they can just use one card for multiple players since it's the content of the card that matters).

That just meant making abilities that are awesome enough to replace having a hand of cards from a crafted deck.

To start with, I'm going to try out two designs per scenario (for a total of six roles). One design will be something of a support character, boosting the dice rolls of nearby allies. The other design is inspired by Blue Mages from Final Fantasy; they can learn enemy abilities and reuse them in a limited fashion. Both designs will have a wide range of Gear training so they have access to very solid basic abilities for any situation.

The support character design is very simple, suitable for a guest who doesn't have much experience with these games, while the Blue Mage-inspired options give some meat for mechanics junkies to sink their teeth into. Neither is so well-rounded that they can replace the existing roles for an entire group (I don't want to promote complete deckless play, as then I'd just be making another pen and paper game), but they should both effectively complement existing card-using parties.

Even better, I could maybe throw a few of these into the Starter Set to increase the number of players that set supports out of the box. With the large numbers of cards the game uses, I didn't think I'd be able to support more than 4 players, and that includes the DM. This would let me boost that to 5 or 6 players at fairly minimal cost.

None of this may work out; testing may find that such play isn't very entertaining or balanced. In particular such characters are effectively immune to a number of harmful enemy effects that force discards or block drawing, and ally card draw effects won't work on them. We'll see what happens!

EDIT: Not sure how I didn't think of this before, but this is also perfect for NPC player allies. Hirelings, temporary help, etc, controlled by the DM (or by the party as a group). The support set in particular is an excellent fit. I think I like this a lot.

The Sauce on
    SurfpossumFuselage
    I think making a gateway into your game for new/casual players would be great. Why differentiate between Non-Player Character and New Player Character sheets? It could even be more flavorful if you hand a player that's just trying the game out something that says "Hireling" or "Mercenary". Then, if they do join the party and get a deck of cards they can make a new character OR they already have a backstory on how they know the party. I think having a simplified way to get into the game is a great idea, though.

edited September 15
    Yeah, that's what I love about it. To use the support roles as an example, I could hand a player 3 cards that makes them a Strategist/Retainer/Agent, half a dozen pieces of Gear, and they're in. Then if they join permanently and want to "graduate" from being the party Retainer and general support to something more focused and independent, then they can pick up some other roles and use a full deck like the other players. Or they could make a whole separate character, and the support character could stick around as an NPC, filling in when players are absent or just serving as a story element.

I also love this for playtest purposes. Right now our main playtest group is down to 3 players after our 4th moved away for work. That's mostly okay as the game works fine for 2-6 players, but it's bad for boss fights. Bosses count as 4 players. While I can adjust them on the fly for 3 players, it's not a "true" test of the mechanics-as-written.

But now I can just give them a quick deckless support character to control and we're off. Much less complex and time-consuming than if they had to manage entirely separate hands of cards.

The Sauce on
    Fuselage
    Just got back from an awesome playtest session for some major improvements to the interaction system. These are so new they haven't made it onto the rules wiki yet. It went really well!

The biggest new element is a visual positioning component that shows who is currently talking to who, permitting movement, blocking / tanking, etc, in a way that still felt distinct and more like a conversation than a battle. It worked great! This unites all 3 systems with a visual mini / token system involving movement, so it should make it easier to learn despite new complexities.

The other element is more subtle. Actions (attacks) and Reactions (defenses) now have a Trait, which can be one of Persuasive, Aggressive, Charming, or Comical. These sort of take the place of damage types, except they have more specific and nuanced tactical use. They wound up complementing the positioning system really well in that it can add a motivation to move to a position based on enemy Traits and the ones you selected for your deck and Gear. It provides another specialization option for interaction, and it's loaded with flavor.

Can't wait to finish the updates, do another print, and get this in front of people at the local convention next month!

Endless_SerpentsFuselageMarshmallow
    The fact that Comical is a big enough part of the system to be named makes me really want to try this!

WACriminalFuselageThe Sauce
124»