Search your deck and draw [game design] into your hand!

15678911»

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Please do. I’m interesting to know the setting you’re going for with this, if anything as yet.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I am looking for playtesters for an escape room game that will be going to print soon. You'd need Tabletop Simulator and it takes about an hour for most groups. I'm happy to playtest your game in exchange (or to help you get it into TTS)!

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited August 11
    If work wasn’t keeping me from home, and therefore actual good WiFi and a computer, I’d be down. This post is mainly a bump for you.

Can you tell us any more about how it works?

I’m plugging away at my roleplaying system, and a few settings for it side by side. It’s really easy to write for, if anything my troubles are getting rid of chaff, and putting into words what’s instinctive for me, to answer questions before the reader has them.

So far I’m including little boxes that are just me talking to the reader in conversational terms alongside the slightly stricter rules. Does that sound helpful?

For example:

Ignite
    When you push yourself beyond your limitations and defy the odds, your call, you must ignite an aspect you possess to gain success without rolling dice. Once you’ve described how you succeed, the stakes are lowered. Cross the aspect; you cannot add it to a roll until the team resolves the episode.
    Basically, when Power Princess absolutely needs to be strong enough to hold back the oncoming train, or Casanova Raygun pulls out all the stops to talk around the Getaway Gang, rather than leaving it to chance they can detonate a relevant aspect.

Power Princess crosses out her [Strong] aspect, Casanova crosses out his [Witty]. They can’t use their aspect until the team overcome the episode’s main obstacle, change the status quo, reveal something vital—you know, when things come to a satisfying point.

This’ll be a big deal to the hero, as there’s a high chance they’ll be using their favourite aspect to pull off something grand, at the risk of being without it later. You’re straining yourself, using up something, calling on more force than you should be able to must. Do make a face as you describe your ignition, please.

Last thing, the host will lower the stakes from whatever they were at, maybe just a stage lower, perhaps all the way. A scene where a hero ignites knock it out of the park, granting the team a little breather—until!

Endless_Serpents on
    Can you tell us any more about how it works?
    Sure. It is similar to Unlock or Exit, but with minimal components. Cards provide the story, the clues, and the puzzles. When you find an answer, you enter it in the companion app, which verifies your answer and tells you which cards to take next from the deck. I'm focusing on puzzle density (there are a dozen main puzzles across the 18 cards) and making the hint system robust and adaptive to the amount of help you actually want.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    For the few of you that look over this thread, I’m really pleased with this character sheet for my latest roleplaying project, Near Light.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BTL1yNhSCliOO0d4OgctpaYwlsISDwP23fcKSx6LWJg/edit

Without the full game in front of you I suppose your eyes will glaze over it. Basically you’re an ace pilot in a space war, and you have a hologram AI in your personally modified starfighter!

Whelk
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Looks good! I feel like the final logo needs a space plane ship flying near it, but I really like it.

Thanks for taking a look Whelk!

Yeah, I was thinking two ships on a collision course behind it, so NEAR has one going right and LIGHT has one going left.

A friend has asked to test the game today, because they’re a world class human being.

I’m thinking of kicking it off with an attack on a water planet, with two separate floating towns as the target. This is mainly to test a system where the pilot has hundreds of not too clever drones they can use to bridge the gap and provide cover until they can get to the second locale.

They’ll be playing Smoke, a rough and ready rookie, with their newly switched on pin-up, Flame.

Ships have a three word phrase naming convention in this game. We haven’t decided yet, I’ve had both Over the Top and Killing it Softly text to me in the past minute.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    edited August 30
    Please do. I’m interesting to know the setting you’re going for with this, if anything as yet.

Essentially it's the RPG setting I've been working on. It's a post-WWI industrial magical society, but out in essentially the Australia of this world. Except, a magical goldmine is found out there. So it's a gold rush, with the major nearby city being a 1920's swing New Orleans. The major themes of the setting being your generation has to decide what to do when they're handed crap and that humanity corrupts everything.

Also, it's steampunk with flying islands and the major magical gewgaw that everyone is after is sky-whales. That appears to be overdone lately, so I might change it.

Edit: To expand on it, magic mostly comes from stuff. It is a resource, it requires a price. That price can be paid by you or someone or someTHING else. The world is essentially animist, but we can't grasp that side of reality. The chain of events that led to magic being around are because human psychic trauma corrupts those animist spirits into ghosts. Those ghosts pick up power via human worship and ritual, and they can eventually interact with the physical world, in a way. Most of them are just furious they can't get a hit of reality any more. So the original sorcerers were taught by mediums who could speak with the spirits teaching them rituals to allow them to interact with reality. Spells are pretty much just the base, raw spirits of an area being contorted into reality for a fraction of time.

Most wizard traditions are kind of like getting a religious law degree. These are the rituals you must complete to get X result, but none of them know the full why because a lot gets lost in translation. The traditions mostly work around conceits of worship, subjugation, or persuading the spirits into cooperating, with the promise of a dose of reality for compliance. Many of the ghosts who stay around long enough form personalities and become akin to a small god. They become divorced from both humanity and the spirit world in a way that worries the sane. They have agendas that we can't exactly figure out, but a lot of the people who actually know about their existence downright fear them. Doesn't stop many would-be sorcerers from entering a crossroads and making a deal. Some of the paranoid have decided these spirits are secretly running governments. Some of them are right.

The rest of humanity who doesn't have to worry about those things can buy what I'm thinking of as commercial magic. Some of that sky whale oil can be processed into taking the tithe of magic for you. This has caused a mercantile upset the world over. Machines, miracles and science have all combined into a factory-driven hellhole for the average layperson.

The flying islands is a trope that I've seen a lot of worlds do, but I find it fun. They all float in a river of magic over the surface of the planet, which is covered in water and houses gigantic beasts, making it mostly unusable for travel. Humanity has had to be inventive then. The major factions of the world war got into it over control of the major highway between three of the continents: an elevator slung between floating rocks. This elevator has potentially become obsolete with the discovery of the whales who fly through the sky-river near the major city on the frontier. Their oil has revolutionized air travel, as well. Where before zeppelins and hot air balloons had run the skies, now they have flying ships and floating fortresses. Before, you'd need to travel by railways slung through the dangerous asteroid belts between islands. Now you can skirt them.

But what happens if the whales are hunted to extinction? What about the failed seccession of the country that is now the frontier to a world defining industry? What do you do when the town you call home is divided by foreign governments and your people shamed for an attempt at independence? Are the people who have taken the harsh journey out there hard people or those full of hope? What terrors lurk behind the promise of healing in a bottle or an academy of sciences out here on the fringe? There's a lot of work to be done for crews who can do it, but most will die trying.

Whelk on
    CalicaIanator
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I was reminded of this thread's existence so I figured I'd drop this in here as well.
    DOME
    Players take the role of researchers in a Deployable Observation and Mobile Experimentation unit that has been sent to a hostile planet. They have to work together to survive events ranging from inconvenient to catastrophic, while individually trying to obtain and analyze as many samples as they can for personal glory. Once a majority of the players feel like they are ready to go, they can call in the Expedited Vehicular Assistance and Collection ship and return home, but: due to their remote location, the EVAC will take 5 days to arrive, so they had best not push their luck too far….

esbbjqeli4ig.jpg

Here's the full "rules" document so far. It's still quite a mess but I think it's got most of it in there in some form?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10e-rmb_cRG1zTmVhIsm8Xz4Oen7EQQSyQSyKotJTrJY/edit?usp=drivesdk

*smoke bomb*

icon.png facebookIcon.png tumblrIcon.png
    is this how nations are born
    IanatorEndless_SerpentsCalica
    I’m late to my own thread, but that’s a wonderful project! Keep it up!

I am volunteering for the Tabletop Mentorship Program this session. I will be paired with a newer designer and will try to help push them along toward their goals over the next three months. I'm sort of nervous but I'm expecting it to be a rewarding experience on both ends.

IanatorMNC Dover