As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pentagon Ending the Ban on Openly Transgendered Service Members

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Not content to just end the nonsense that was DADT and barring women from combat roles, the Obama administration is planning to end the military's policy banning openly transgender individuals from serving openly.

The change is expected to be announced some time next month with the details to be hammered out over the following year.

I suspect that, much like the other two policy changes, this will face massive protest from conservatives decrying it as the end of our military forces for sure followed by our military trucking along relatively fine. I'm not certain it will be as smooth a transition as there are a lot of strongly held misconceptions out there.

On a more self interested level I hope this also forces the branches to finally change some grooming and appearance regulations regarding each gender that are sorely out of date.

Quid on

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Yes but what about the bathrooms won't someone think about the bathrooms

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

You mean heads, right?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    zipidideezipididee Registered User regular

You mean heads, right?

Y'all talking about the latrines?

*ching ching* Just my two cents
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The whizz palaces

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

I have a don't ask don't tell policy about #1 vs #2.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    But seriously, good stuff.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'm mobile posting so I can't write more, but two quick things:

1) Fuck yes! This is awesome on so many levels!

2) "Transgendered" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Transgender" is an adjective, not a verb. <3

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    On a more self interested level I hope this also forces the branches to finally change some grooming and appearance regulations regarding each gender that are sorely out of date.

I've never been in the military, but I do make virtual world content for the military. I remember one thing that really struck me when I was reading the Air Force regulations was that female members were required to have noticeably longer hair than the males. That always struck me as so blatantly sexist. Like, I'm sure they could list off twenty reasons why guys need to have short hair in the military, but for some reason with women, that all goes out of the window because...women need to look pretty?