As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Brexitstential Crisis

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Hmm, well it certainly seems a better method than the one we have in place currently, i.e. completely fucking broken grade A status quo bullshit.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »

I wonder what the new Lib Dem/Centrist Labour party will call themselves?

Lab Dem

The final form of #DogsAtPollingStations

Damnit you beat me to the pun!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »

I wonder what the new Lib Dem/Centrist Labour party will call themselves?

Lab Dem

The final form of #DogsAtPollingStations

Damnit you beat me to the pun!

Exclusive photos of Liiya below

1802290-inspector_gadget_dr_claw.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Corbyn thinks that medical research shouldn't be "farmed out" to big pharmaceutical companies.

Flabbergasting.

Reminder: Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell all believe in homeopathy, because of course they fucking do.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

I wholly support reselections, since many of these MPs were never "selected" by their constituencies to begin with. It's not like they're just straight up being replaced with Corbyn loyalists, I assume many will hold onto their jobs, it just means that democracy gets a say instead of just the party leadership. Personally I think constituencies having a say in their MP beyond "this guy or the tories" would be a good thing.

Yhe SNP, who are doing really goddamn good as of late in terms of competent politics, already have Mandatory Reselection. It is a good thing for the party, and we should look forward to it.
    I missed that Corbyn put a three line whip in for a vote yesterday on PR. To support it, I wondered?

Nope, the whip was to abstain.

This one pisses me off, though. Fuck you, Corbyn! This would have hurt the SNP and they were willing to get behind it - it almost certainly would have helped Labour at this point and you still won't support it? God damn. Of course, this is the shit the PLP decides to go with him on instead of fighting him over like everything else.

(Also his homeopathy stuff is dumb as shit)

Also, for those interested:
    NEC member Darren Williams reports on that momentous 12 July meeting

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

It takes about eight seconds before someone accuses her of making it up and bricking her own window, of course.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    God, as a biomedical scientist those remarks on drug development are utterly ridiculous. Either Corbyn thinks that the NHS develops drugs, in which case he's an idiot or he thinks that we should nationalise pharmaceuticals, in which case he's an idiot.

I was curious about whether my my local MP, Ian Mearn (Gateshead), supports Corbyn. Unfortunately, he does - but I did come across the list of people we should support:
    John McDonnell MP
    Liz McInnes MP
    Diane Abbott MP
    Richard Burgon MP
    Peter Dowd MP
    Ian Lavery MP
    Jon Trickett MP
    Cat Smith MP
    Andy Burnham MP
    Angela Rayner MP
    Emily Thornberry MP
    Paul Flynn MP
    Clive Lewis MP
    Tulip Siddiq MP
    Kate Osamor MP
    Imran Hussain MP
    Margaret Greenwood MP
    Rebecca Long-Bailey MP
    Grahame Morris MP
    Kate Hoey MP
    Graham Allen MP
    Ian Mearns MP
    Dawn Butler MP

When you barely have enough MPs to constitute a full cabinet you'd really think you'd have an issue right?

What's interesting is that the only letter my MP has responded to (including on things that were directly affecting me like the declining availability of gluten-free prescriptions) is one about humanitarian concerns of the Palestinians. The recent issues in the Labour party makes that seem a touch dodgy now really

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Corbyn thinks that medical research shouldn't be "farmed out" to big pharmaceutical companies.

Flabbergasting.

Hmm? Most medical research here in North American isn't performed by pharmaceutical companies, at least not on a per-paper basis. Probably not even per dollar, though I'd have to do the math on that and deconvolute how much pharmaceutical companies actually spend on research vs how much they say that a drug cost to develop. The vast majority of biomedical research is performed by doctors and research scientists, who are typically salaried by the government and/or funded by government research grants anyways. (Typically by NIH in the US or CIHR in Canada, but there are a bunch of smaller grant agencies too.) Pharmas just usually take it the last mile, though admittedly it can be a very difficult mile.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    hippofant wrote: »

Flabbergasting.

Hmm? Most medical research here in North American isn't performed by pharmaceutical companies, at least not on a per-paper basis. Probably not even per dollar, though I'd have to do the math on that and deconvolute how much pharmaceutical companies actually spend on research vs how much they say that a drug cost to develop. The vast majority of biomedical research is performed by doctors and research scientists, who are typically salaried by the government and/or funded by government research grants anyways. (Typically by NIH in the US or CIHR in Canada, but there are a bunch of smaller grant agencies too.) Pharmas just usually take it the last mile, though admittedly it can be a very difficult mile.

Yup. The pharmaceutical industry's strength in the U.S. is compound formulation and synthesis. The way it usually works is that the NIH/NSF funds basic science research, the NIH funds the development of those insights into clinically useful drugs and then the follow-up first stage clinical trials.

Where the pharma companies come into this is that they fund the research into how to manufacture the drugs for the market and partner with government institutions to do the late-stage clinical trials necessary to bring those drugs to market.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    But despite the industries many faults the set up of companies taking it the last mile makes sense:

1. Public Institutions generate treatment candidates
    2. Private Pharma companies assemble capital and take the risk of bringing those candidates to production standards.

If they're successful the company gets to profit from taking the risk, and if they're unsuccessful the public is insulated from risk because its private money. Its questionable if public institutions should be performing the high outlay/high risk final stages.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    That's a bit rosy version of it.
    Basically public side does all the unprofitable research that needs to be done and private corps skim all the profitable ones from the top.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    jammu wrote: »
    That's a bit rosy version of it.
    Basically public side does all the unprofitable research that needs to be done and private corps skim all the profitable ones from the top.

This isn't entirely true. The public sector does a lot of profitable research; we just don't generate any profit off of it. Either it gets privatized (start-ups, bought out by a big corporation, etc..), or it gets given away for "free" as a standard improvement in the medical field. Remember, the vast majority of medical research is not pharmaceuticals. It includes things like blood transfusions, surgical robots, dialysis machines, better stethoscopes, new techniques, etc., and a lot of that is essentially given away for free. We don't, for example, patent surgical techniques, nor do we put the human genome behind a paywall, nor do we turn over new pathology techniques to private companies. That research could be extremely profitable; we just choose to not profit from it and instead distribute the knowledge widely.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Somebody decided to combine this thread's two favourite things; Anti-Corbyn sentiment and classic British kids shows...

• Options
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    While no-one disputes that some deeply disturbing and reprehensible things are said online and that this is sometimes taken further, so that there are genuine fears for people’s safety, the idea that a secret ballot would, in itself, provide significant protection from this seems hard to accept. Moreover, the suggestion – made during the meeting and subsequently stated more explicitly – that Jeremy and his supporters have somehow whipped up an atmosphere of hostility and fear has no credible basis in fact. The vote was nevertheless carried.

o rly?

• Options
    Helpfully, Corbyn supporters are pushing a raft of 6 5* candidates out of 11 for the NEC elections to load it with more members of Corbyn's fanclub, which makes the 5 choices I have to make after putting an X next to Eddie Izzard's name a lot easier.

*One was deemed not lunatic enough, and now only 5 are being pushed.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    In pathetic hilarity, a rebel Labour MP has claimed that Corbyn threatened to phone his father on him.

Story

• Options
    His dad is a Sinn Féin councillor, so presumably Corbyn thought they could kick around the good old days on the way to telling him to rein in his son.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Do these people hear themselves? It sounds like something out of the bloody Cold War.

Len McCluskey: intelligence services using 'dark practices' against Corbyn
    Asked again if he believed that classified documents would eventually reveal the involvement of security forces in Corbyn’s leadership difficulties, McCluskey said: “Well I tell you what, anybody who thinks that that isn’t happening doesn’t live in the same world that I live in.

“Do you think that there’s not all kinds of rightwingers who are not secretly able to disguise themselves and stir up trouble? I find it amazing if people think that isn’t happening.”

McCluskey said he believed that MPs and others who had spoken of death threats and intimidation were exaggerating the extent of those threats.

“There’s a hysteria being whipped up,” he said. “A few people say things they shouldn’t and then it’s blown up out of all proportion, to suit the imagery that the Labour party has somehow become a cesspit, and suddenly it’s a crisis.”

Using an example of something that happened in 1972 to justify this opinion. It couldn't actually be legitimate criticism, it's all down to some bizarre, capitalist ploy, of course.

It's a shame because I want to be on the side of the unions, but this kind of bat-shit insanity makes them look like ideological morons.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Asked again if he believed that classified documents would eventually reveal the involvement of security forces in Corbyn’s leadership difficulties, McCluskey said: “Well I tell you what, anybody who thinks that that isn’t happening doesn’t live in the same world that I live in.

Is this what I think it means?!?

• Options
    McCluskey has gone off at the deep end, it appears. Still, more conspiracy bullshit for the faithful.

• Options
    edited July 2016

If you think it means that McCluskey believes MI5 are deliberately posing as Corbyn sympathisers and engaging in a smear campaign, either by sending death threats on behalf of Corbyn supporters or spreading rumours across social media, then yes you are correct.

EDIT: It appears this twitter account has a tweet for every occasion...

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever thought of annual mandatory psyche evaluations for sitting MP's? Just a thought.

• Options

To be fair, he's not wrong. I don't think that's happening because clearly McCluskey doesn't live on the same planet as the rest of us.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    McCluskey has gone off at the deep end, it appears. Still, more conspiracy bullshit for the faithful.

Huh, he's accusing the security forces not of infiltration but of abusing the opposition. That, uh... that doesn't really seem in keeping with their behaviour, that is pretty out there.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    its worth noting that the whole 'MI5 are rigging the vote'* line was used both by SNP supporters and Brexit supporters before the respective referendums. it was farcical then and its farcical now.

*though granted this seems to go a bit beyond that, but i'm sure they'll land there should Corbyn lose the leadership contest.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    its worth noting that the whole 'MI5 are rigging the vote'* line was used both by SNP supporters and Brexit supporters before the respective referendums. it was farcical then and its farcical now.

Oh God, flashbacks to the "take pens with you to vote" fuckbaggery.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Oh God, flashbacks to the "take pens with you to vote" fuckbaggery.

local pens, for local people, for local elections!!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Pen? More like... Le Pen!

• Options
    PEN: Protect English Nationals!!

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Hey Britain,

Can you please reactivate your doom machine? Things have gotten bleak for us across the pond and I'm no longer distracted by your craven self-destruction, more deer-car-headlighted by our own. Save me, Britain, your despair is my only hope.

• Options
    Priest wrote: »
    Hey Britain,

Can you please reactivate your doom machine? Things have gotten bleak for us across the pond and I'm no longer distracted by your craven self-destruction, more deer-car-headlighted by our own. Save me, Britain, your despair is my only hope.

Can we assume you're referring to it turning out that Donald Trump has lowered standards of political discourse so far that him simply managing to read a speech someone else wrote for him off a teleprompter without drooling on himself or announcing how much he'd like to have sex with his own daughter was enough for half of America to proclaim him the greatest orator of our times?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hey Britain,

What are you talking about? We got our Iron Lady back, things are just peachy over here.

The pressure is on you to elect some delightful Reagan-a-like so Conservative slash fiction can ensue.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Hey Britain,

What are you talking about? We got our Iron Lady back, things are just peachy over here.

The pressure is on you to elect some delightful Reagan-a-like so Conservative slash fiction can ensue.

*looks around*

Sorry, nothing like that over here.

We've got a discount brand Hitler if that'd work.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Hey Britain,

Boris Johnson is the Foreign Secretary, what fucking more do you even want from us?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Hey Britain,

That happened in 2008 and 2012.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Hey Britain,

I know a Portuguese coffee shop owner who is on the pits of despair over her legal status here

She might have to quit everything she worked hard to get here in Britain

So rejoice, her very real suffering is perfect fodder for your glibness!

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Hey Britain,

_90098983_untitled-1.jpg
    Better? Here's some of the kind of notes friends got through their letterbox after the referendum*.

At least your racists aren't going to be on the winning side.

I wouldn't be surprised to see May string along the Brexit negotiations for a few years, since she's ambivalent and actually triggering Article 50 would make the last few weeks look like an economic golden age for all that is said about the benefits of stability and ultimately a remain victory should really be a waiting game;

But I think we'll see a practical Brexit for most of the UK funding before that (already happened for science) which will probably only fuel another wave of anti-EU fervour since we've not left and are still cut off whilst the UK government is unwilling and unable to do anything about it.

I wouldn't put it past May to trigger article 50 as the last thing she does in office before the general election. Tories would have had 10-15 years in power, so public might be in the mood for a chance assuming the left (not sure I can call it Labour at this point) can sort itself out, and I think she'd happily see it as the ultimate poison pill and fuck you in politics.

We need to make sure that Article 50 is a parliamentary decision more than anything else in my books.

*Got called by Ipsos Mori this week, asking my opinions about out a Devolved Cambridgeshire should be run...anyone else had this?

Tastyfish on
This discussion has been closed.