Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Brexitstential Crisis

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    What's that Watson quote from? The Guardian blog isstill saying he didn't push for a resignation.

BBC Live Feed

• Options
    Politico have a pretty good article breaking down the dynamics of the EU's response to the referendum result, because as you can imagine in an organisation that size with politicians and administrators from 27 other countries, opinions on how to handle it vary.

It's heartbreaking to see all that influence evapourate. Even if the miracle happens and we walk this back, we're looking at years in the dog house.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I'm running out of comparisons for Corbyn. Right now I'm up to "Japanese soldier continuing to fight decades after the war finished".

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I'm making a very reaching, exaggerated point here but RBS's market share was valued at £35bn prior to Brexit is now currently valued at £25bn. This is owned largely by the taxpayer, so the UK Government has (bear with me) lost £10bn in potential revenue. That is £192m a week. More than the net contributions the UK makes to the EU which Leave were saying could be put toward the NHS. So whatever money could be saved by withdrawing payments to the EU have been wiped out by market turmoil caused by Brexit. Not to the mention the fact that we are still making those payments to the EU for at least the next two years, so not only will we have to continue to make those payments, we will be doing so as an ever contracting, smaller economy.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    I'm running out of comparisons for Corbyn. Right now I'm up to "Japanese soldier continuing to fight decades after the war finished".
    I'm sticking with "long lost brother of Bernie Sanders."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Politico have a pretty good article breaking down the dynamics of the EU's response to the referendum result, because as you can imagine in an organisation that size with politicians and administrators from 27 other countries, opinions on how to handle it vary.

It's heartbreaking to see all that influence evaporate. Even if the miracle happens and we walk this back, we're looking at years in the dog house.

It is ironic that an attempt to "take back control" is going to nuke any control you had for a decade or two, but cooler heads in the EU see the value of taking you back if it's possible to do so in a way that assures the world you're back for good and discourages any other member state from trying something as shitty as this.

A lot of the UK's future influence in the EU and abroad depends on if that's possible.

• Options
    If Corbyn refuses to go and gets on the ballot, it might be in the PLP's best interest to agree on a unity candidate of some sort

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    If Corbyn refuses to go and gets on the ballot, it might be in the PLP's best interest to agree on a unity candidate of some sort

Chances of them doing so are ... uh ... probably not great. So Corbyn again, freshly mandated and probably willing to allow deselection of PARTY TRAITORS.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

Except the experts told everyone box B contained poo, but they're tired of experts.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Hilariously, Sarah Vine, Gove's wife and a Daily Mail columnist, apparently made a Facebook post about how tired she was of people being snarky and mean when they could be helpful and pull together and provide advice and expertise.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That delicious irony.

• Options
    If there was ever a time for a Conservative party split along Eurosceptic lines and a Labour party split along Momentum lines to break out, now is the time. Do I think it will happen? No. But if ever such a seismic shake up of the UK's two main parties were to happen, it would surely be now.

• Options
    European Parliament calls for urgent triggering of Article 50

The European Parliament is meeting tomorrow for an emergency plenary session to discuss and vote on a resolution on the UK referendum. This is the draft text of the resolution, which in practice, establishes the official position of the Parliament towards Brexit.

Most interestingly, the Parliament is urging David Cameron to trigger Article 50 immediately.

It "warns that to prevent damaging uncertainty for everyone and in order to protect the Union’s integrity, the notification stipulated in Article 50 TEU must take place immediately; consequently asks the UK Prime Minister to notify the outcome of the referendum to the European Council of 28/29June; this notification will launch the withdrawal procedure."

The resolution also reminds parties "that the consent of the European Parliament is required under the Treaties; the European Parliament must be fully involved at all stages of the various procedures concerning the withdrawal agreement and any future relationship".

In other words, in theory at least, the European Parliament has the power to veto any new deal between the UK and EU.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm beginning to think that the most disastrous part of this entire mess is that there doesn't appear to be a single British politician willing to take responsibility for anything currently happening, and not in the "I fucked up sense", but even just the "hey I'm here to provide some leadership" sense.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BOOM! The pound just hit a new 31-year low against the US dollar, as Brexit fears continue to grip the financial markets.

Sterling slumped over 4 cents to $1.3220, a level last seen in 1985.

YAY! People wanted us to go back to the Thatcher years...

• Options
    Shadow Energy Secretary Lisa Nandy will apparently stand against Corbyn in a leadership election.

Nope, me neither.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Hilariously, Sarah Vine, Gove's wife and a Daily Mail columnist, apparently made a Facebook post about how tired she was of people being snarky and mean when they could be helpful and pull together and provide advice and expertise.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That delicious irony.

Cl8bM-1WQAAX5dq.jpg:large

"Wouldn't it be nice if the clever people my husband said we didn't need stopped whinging and raging about the funding, resources and jobs they've lost because of him and set about fixing the mess he's made instead?"

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Boris said this morning that the markets are stable, don't panic. About an hour later Barclays and RBS have had trading in their shares suspended because they're in freefall. Next PM there.

I wonder if David Milliband is casually Googling 'flights to UK' and arranging for an impressive haircut, you know, just in case.

David Milliband is back in the country, spotted at Heathrow two days ago. He is already as short at 7/1 for Next Leader.

Which is a bonkers, bonkers price.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Boris said this morning that the markets are stable, don't panic. About an hour later Barclays and RBS have had trading in their shares suspended because they're in freefall. Next PM there.

I wonder if David Milliband is casually Googling 'flights to UK' and arranging for an impressive haircut, you know, just in case.

David Milliband is back in the country, spotted at Heathrow two days ago. He is already as short at 7/1 for Next Leader.

Wouldn't he have to be an MP?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Oh fuck Farage might well be present at Tuesday's European Parliament emergency convening.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    3 days on and the pervasive anxiety has waned, which is nice. Now I just feel cynical and angry, which is much more familiar!

We are going to go down in history as the dumbest generation.

• Options
    I did well at a Netrunner tournament at the weekend and my car just passed it's MOT with nothing more serious than a new pair of wipers to pay for, so I think I'm doing pretty well in the Brave New World.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Oh fuck Farage might well be present at Tuesday's European Parliament emergency convening.

He's an MEP, so it's logical

I don't think anyone thinks he has the authority to unilaterally invoke Article 50 or anything

• Options

There's a vacant seat in Batley and Spen after Jo Cox's murder...

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    3 days on and the pervasive anxiety has waned, which is nice. Now I just feel cynical and angry, which is much more familiar!

We are going to go down in history as the dumbest generation.

This millenium's Battle of Hastings, only this time there's no Normans to blame. It will be depicted in children's history books as everyone just collectively stabbing themselves in the foot at the same time.

tynic on
  • Options
    Remember Farage's t wat picture, well Andy McDonald suffers an even worse indignity as he clings to the mandate narrative

67d0451a-700a-4d05-a3b9-9b2c7f620be5.jpg

Being in the same shot as an ad for Now You See Me 2. Shameful.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

There is a by-election coming up in Jo Cox's seat.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    So, uh, is there going to be a PMQ this week? And if there is, what in the hell is it going to look like?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    So, uh, is there going to be a PMQ this week? And if there is, what in the hell is it going to look like?

Dunno, and depends on what happens on Tuesday.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My brother, on fb:
    Bit concerned about the impact the current turmoil might have on the contract market, but on the bright side I think it's my turn to be in the shadow cabinet next week.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

I don't think anyone thinks he has the authority to unilaterally invoke Article 50 or anything
    Whether he invokes it or not, he has on previous occasions taken the opportunity to be an asshat to the EP, and I think that's the last bloody thing we need right now.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

Whether he invokes it or not, he has on previous occasions taken the opportunity to be an asshat to the EP, and I think that's the last bloody thing we need right now.

We need the vengeful ghost of Otto Habsburg to punch him

• Options
    Farage was trolled pretty hard by Euro MPs when he showed up after resigning and then un-resigning, hilariously.

• Options
    This letter is pretty colourful, all things considered

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Is it at the point where we can consider it all one pathetic shambles that should be completely forgotten?
    Seriously, the "democratic will of the people" stuff seems to be gone from the media already, only being brought up as a desperate shield for those who want to defend a horribly bad idea.

• Options
    The other Eagle has flown the shadow cabinet.

If he stays, it's going to tear the party apart. And I think he's dumb enough to stay. So, whelp, there goes any hope of a reasonable governemnt for a decade or two.

This discussion has been closed.