As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Da Total WAAAAGH! Thread, Da Knights of Bretonnia are here! Sequel announced!

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Does the north usually get wrecked pretty early in other people's games? In my last game game (Chaos) by the time I moved down to Middenheim the only thing alive between it and the mountains was the Empire holding The Moot. And I have no idea what happened to them!

In my current game as Skarsnik it's only turn 108 but the Empire is gone and chaos is moving into Bretonnia already.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's the role of the north to get rolled over.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

It's not much better in the South. Border Princes tend to get mauled pretty early.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

Also true in Game of Thrones

• Options
    Carson VendettaCarson Vendetta Registered User regular
    The only thing I've found I don't like about the battle map is that force march armies are able to retreat pre battle. I thought it was a feature of old total war games that force march disabled pre battle withdraw.

I'm going probably going to lose a green skin stack to a stack and a half of dwarves after I overextended the army.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Don't force march unless you know where the enemy armies are.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Decided to try the a Season of Revelation campaign.

Oh god, after like three attempts that feels like the least fun fucking thing in the world.

First attempt went south because apparently upgrading the Oak of Ages causes Morghur to show up with like... Seven stacks with a bunch of upper tier Beastmen units. So then I tried again, but Durthu this time because I prefer him.... But then I couldn't do, well, anything without random elf factions declaring war on me, including one fucker on like turn five that was prompted by FUCKING MORGHUR asking them to declare war on me. They then sacked my first settlement.

Edit: I might have to try doing it as Orion, as he was much easier even if I much prefer playing Durthu. Just gotta avoid doing the Oak of Ages for awhile. Might take my time though; just wasn't having much fun in the mini-campaign.

In other news, tried Clan Angrund for shits and giggles and decided to try a (presumably doomed) run where I basically sprinted to Karak Eight Peaks, with minor detours. By turn 13 I was just outside, but got attacked by Grimgor and lost a lot of troops despite winning. Then the enemies in my first province overwhelmed my starting point. Suppose I will have to actually deal with them next time and build up a bit instead of mad-dashing to Eight Peaks.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    CA have a live YouTube video with a countdown to the event on Friday.

The background is a jungle and there's sounds of birds etc

https://youtu.be/0TfTdqqjbW0

• Options
    so hype

I hope this is one of those things where they announce it and it's coming out in like a month and not "oh man 2019 is going to be so awesome"

• Options
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    so hype

I hope this is one of those things where they announce it and it's coming out in like a month and not "oh man 2019 is going to be so awesome"

Same. From what I understand, the main Warhammer team has been hard at work on this since before Total Warhammer came out. Considering it's using the same engine and (probably) a lot of the same assets, development time should be fast.

• Options
    Yeah, considering the turn around time on the Wood Elves I would not be surprised if it's coming sooner rather than later. My big hope is Skaven as one of the races since it's likely we'll get Lizardmen as one of the factions. And they're pretty classic enemies.

Though Skaven are a bit weird since they realistically should be prevalent, well, everywhere. So also wouldn't be surprised if they hold off on them a bit.

• Options
    One of my big excitements is that they've iterated on their concepts so beautifully with each DLC release that this game should have fully realised versions of all of those ideas. Like compare Beast Men DLC to Chaos DLC. Compare Wood Elves. They just got better and better, and they have these campaigns figured out.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Yeah, considering the turn around time on the Wood Elves I would not be surprised if it's coming sooner rather than later. My big hope is Skaven as one of the races since it's likely we'll get Lizardmen as one of the factions. And they're pretty classic enemies.

Though Skaven are a bit weird since they realistically should be prevalent, well, everywhere. So also wouldn't be surprised if they hold off on them a bit.

I would really like Skaven to be focused on infiltration and not drawing attention to themselves until they're about to sieze the land. Heavy focus on agents and a unique corruption style mechanic that dictates how close they are to taking a settlement. Maybe let them take settlements over without a battle at 100% corruption or whatever they end up calling it. There's so many ways they could take this and I'm so hype for it. The first foray into the alleged 3 game series has been such a massive success both critically and to me that I just can't imagine them not doing even better with the lessons they've learned along the way, like Tube mentioned with the beastmen DLC compared to chaos.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    My only problem with new factions so far is "Everyone except human based factions tunneling...sorry. I mean 'Secret woodland paths'*
    *It's tunneling.".

I hope Dark Elves/High Elves/Lizardmen/"whatever else there is" will get something different. Except Skaven (if we get them this time around), because secret tunneling is super-skaven.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al-889M7_CQ

• Options
    One of my big excitements is that they've iterated on their concepts so beautifully with each DLC release that this game should have fully realised versions of all of those ideas. Like compare Beast Men DLC to Chaos DLC. Compare Wood Elves. They just got better and better, and they have these campaigns figured out.

I really hope they'll revisit some of the old armies and do some revisions. Beastmen in particular I enjoy but they could use some more units/heroes and some revamps for their lords. I've heard Chaos needs it more, though I did not buy the Chaos DLC so I have no experience there.

Still, I am super looking forward to Lizardmen and Dark Elves assuming all expectations are right. Plus Skaven if they end up making an appearance. One thought I had on Skaven is they could easily use them as an incentive to own both games by giving a generic Skaven plus Pestilens Legendary Lords in Lustria and then have some of the other clans as sub-factions in the Old World if you have game one.
    Konphujun wrote: »

I would really like Skaven to be focused on infiltration and not drawing attention to themselves until they're about to sieze the land. Heavy focus on agents and a unique corruption style mechanic that dictates how close they are to taking a settlement. Maybe let them take settlements over without a battle at 100% corruption or whatever they end up calling it. There's so many ways they could take this and I'm so hype for it. The first foray into the alleged 3 game series has been such a massive success both critically and to me that I just can't imagine them not doing even better with the lessons they've learned along the way, like Tube mentioned with the beastmen DLC compared to chaos.

Skaven are going to be very interesting if they're in since there are a huge plethora of potential sub-systems and crazy bullshit they could bring both on the campaign map and in battle.

• Options
    Skaven are going to be very interesting if they're in since there are a huge plethora of potential sub-systems and crazy bullshit they could bring both on the campaign map and in battle.

I actually think they'll end up fairly similar to Wood Elves, which a few strongholds and then need to gather Warpstone in order to gain access to resources not associated with your clan (like Poison wind globadiers, Warpfire throwers, gutter runners or Rat Ogres).
    It could easily be something a lot more exotic though.

Skaven and Dark Elves are two of my favorite factions in warhammer, and I hope they both end up with interesting gameplay. The Dark Elves reliance on slave labour definitely has potential.

• Options

I actually think they'll end up fairly similar to Wood Elves, which a few strongholds and then need to gather Warpstone in order to gain access to resources not associated with your clan (like Poison wind globadiers, Warpfire throwers, gutter runners or Rat Ogres).

Skaven and Dark Elves are two of my favorite factions in warhammer, and I hope they both end up with interesting gameplay. The Dark Elves reliance on slave labour definitely has potential.

That is also quite possible and wouldn't surprise me at all.

I do wonder how they'll handle diplomatic interactions with the Empire. Skaven manipulating random nobles is pretty classic, but the Empire at large doesn't even know they exist.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

I could see the slaves as an easy cross between peasants like Bretonnia that need to be captured from settlements/battles and have a limited lifespan like X turns or so that you need to either do something with them or they die from general slave based attrition.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Considering that the Blighted Marsh (near Tilea) is inaccessible just like the Athel Loren was they're at least prepared for the option of bringing skaven into the game in that fashion.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    CA has really done well with making the newer campaigns feel better and unique. I was shocked at how different and fun the Bretonnian campaign was as they were just medieval mans.

For Dark Elves, I really hope they are less about holding territory to win the game and more akin to Wood Elves.

Only instead of collecting amber it's slaves. So many slaves.

And I hope that because they may not take a lot of territory, they can park their huge city ships off the coasts and build armies there.

For Skaven I'm curious as to how they will handle the underway/tunnels. I'm also curious how they will handle their campaign and enforcing the concept they are a horde faction WITHOUT the waagh mechanic, which has gotten enough mileage. My personal idea is to combine the waagh mechanic and corruption mechanic. Skaven can corrupt/infilitrate/'buzz word' a region, and with sufficient corruption you will be reinforced with random controllable (or heck, uncontrollable) skaven units. Basically a waagh mechanic that focuses more on the campaign stats than the army stats.

In the far, far off future Ogre Kingdoms are my favorite faction, and I am genuinely curious how they will play when TW3 rolls around. They are a weird faction, culturally. They can be allies of pretty much anyone, thanks to their mercenary nature. They can also wander around looking for food and gold in effectively TW-esque hordes, or they can 'settle' and control land (or more accurately enslave the local population). What would their campaign objective be? Acquire some 'food' resource? Acquire gold? I'm not sure. I could see them giving Ogre's that old Attila mechanic where factions can move from horde/settlement style at the very least.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm hoping Chaos might get a revamp with the next game.

Also heads-up for that valentines event. I signed up but didn't actually do anything and I've just noticed my junk e-mail account has 4 emails with steam codes in for my participation. I got a bunch of Sega Classics and some free DLC for all the recent TW games + Endless Legend.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Skaven campaign should be a lot like playing Rome in RTW, start off as a specific LL that's in charge of a faction that is obstensively part of one of the Skaven Great Clans, doing your own thing, expanding in your own way... and then, around the time Chaos shows up, you get a Skaven Civil War where suddenly your at war with all the clans you were allied with a turn ago, all rushing to take Skavenblight and de-facto control of the Council of Thirteen for themselves.

All the Total Warhammer games are suppose to be linkable into a single Grand Campaign. It wouldn't surprise me if owning both would mean Skaven factions showing up in the Old World as well.

Heck, for better or for worse, I could see that as some kind of pre-order bonus for people who already own the first game; Pre-order TW:W2 and get to play as Skaven in TW:W right now while you wait for the sequel! As long as you still get Old World Skaven if you buy the sequel after the release date, CA could probably get away with it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think Skaven make a lot of sense as the first post TW2 DLC race. Because they can be patched into the current game in the same manner as the Wood Elves, and they have a presence in the new world too. That way CA can release a DLC that can be bought/used by people who own either version of TW. Something to bridge the gap.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    CA have a live YouTube video with a countdown to the event on Friday.

The background is a jungle and there's sounds of birds etc

https://youtu.be/0TfTdqqjbW0

You can also hear dinosaurs.

Also, I think that's a stepped pyramid in the distance

• Options
    I'd love a skaven mechanic that lets them start a siege from inside the gates

• Options
    That is something I was wondering about, because Skaven very rarely do a traditional siege. I mean, they have the equipment for it, sure, but more often than not they strike by surprise and bypass the walls in advance.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    That is something I was wondering about, because Skaven very rarely do a traditional siege. I mean, they have the equipment for it, sure, but more often than not they strike by surprise and bypass the walls in advance.

I just want to fire a Warp lightning gun and have them approximate the random firing tables for skaven.

Also Doomwheels

• Options
    My biggest hope is that I can have a Warlock Engineer lord and deploy tons of rattling gunners, warp fire throwers, and yes, warp lightning cannons, and reduce the enemy (and probably my clan rats) to a thick green paste surging with warp energies.

And maybe some Doomwheels. If I'm feeling festive.

• Options
    I fear Doomwheels will end up like chariots and be kind of terrible.

All about that screaming bell though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Annoyingly​ I'm going to be at work when the countdown ends!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am hoping for lizardmen because I want dinos. Big ass dinos everywhere.

Though I know chariots aren't the best I tend to get pretty productive use when I have them if I can micro the shit out of them. They have a lot of weight behind them and you can do a lot of charges through a line destroying folks. Though cycle charging cavalry is better.

Also they need to fix Chaos I wish they didn't suck to play.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It would be cool if Estalia and Tilea were added for their Lustrian colonies. Not like as major factions, but under a new Human Faction umbrella.

I would still play Empire and steal their shit but it would give them flavor.

Although both their flags kind of suck.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Is there much of a human presence in Lustria? My guess is that maybe humans will be represented by a more fleshed out Tilea and Estalia?

I wouldn't mind too much if there aren't any humans in this but I have to guess that there will be.

• Options
    Is there much of a human presence in Lustria? My guess is that maybe humans will be represented by a more fleshed out Tilea and Estalia?

I wouldn't mind too much if there aren't any humans in this but I have to guess that there will be.

There's a few mentions of human settlers but they don't last long because of disease or lizardmen killing them.

Quite a few mentions of raids into lustria for plunder. So perhaps they could make events for something like that where a small army appears on your shores looking for booty.

• Options
    I am as hard as a badger waiting for this announcement.

• Options
    I want skaven for the Jezzails and everything Poison Wind. Poison Wind Globadiers and Poison Wind Mortars rock my world.

P.S: Even if the Doomwheel becomes a chariot, a chariot firing warp lightning can't be bad.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

There's a few mentions of human settlers but they don't last long because of disease or lizardmen killing them.

Quite a few mentions of raids into lustria for plunder. So perhaps they could make events for something like that where a small army appears on your shores looking for booty.

There are the Amazons, which while I don't think they ever got a TT army have been in the settings since at least as long as the Lizardmen and actually have a fair amount of lore behind them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lorewise, there are actually Lizardmen cities in the Old World, located in the southern area (basically the equivalent of Africa). In the Warhammer world it's heavily jungled. There's some Lizardmen settlements in there.

I mean, going to Lustria would be fantastic, but it's not required for Lizardmen. It could be a decent starting point for a Lizardmen campaign where they start off with a smaller army against beastmen and savage greenskins - the Lizardmen basically rule all of Lustria so it's not really that realistic for anything to threaten them there, short of End Times-level skaven/Chaos incursions.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm hyped for Skaven and Lizardmen but still want Tomb Kings and Chaos Dwarfs :(

This discussion has been closed.