As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock] REMAKE IS OUT NOW ( May 30 2023)

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    System Shock 1 was easily the scariest game on the market when it came out. Audio logs started with that game (CD-ROM edition at least) and it was groundbreaking in terms of enviromental story telling as well. So it's a pioneer in terms of atmosphere and narrative.

The controls are super weird, but make sense when you realize the game is basically Ultima Underworld in space. System Shock 2, while also a good game, stole a lot of the thunder of the original. It was more accessible and became a lot people's intro to the series who mis attributed many of the innovative things it did to Shock 2 instead of 1. Not to say that System Shock 2 isn't an important game, but Shock 1 was actually more ahead of its time but just didn't find the audience it needed. I guess a modern comparison would be Demons Souls vs Dark Souls (if Demons Souls was like half as successful).

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The excision of Cyberspace from SS2 was kind of a bummer.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    SS1 is still ahead of the times. Just like UW.
    It's still an amazing game, even with shitty controls.

Also, explosives
    you want lots of explosives.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The main thing to understand about the controls is that it came out very shortly before the whole industry, pretty much, settled on WASD.
    So it's just different enough to mess you up.
    I imagine that the remake will probably offer both classic and modern/improved control schemes.

@Stormwatcher :
    And drugs. All the drugs.

Commander Zoom on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The main thing to understand about the controls is that it came out very shortly before the whole industry, pretty much, settled on WASD.
    I imagine that the remake will probably offer both classic and modern/improved control schemes.

Night Dive's initial enhanced edition already has improved control schemes, it would be intensely out of place for their full remake to not have them.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

@Stormwatcher :
    And drugs. All the drugs.

I'm kinda hoping if it does the classic control scheme is buried behind something like
    Are you sure?
    No, really are you sure?
    Look this is going to take a lot of getting used to and quite frankly it's going to fucking suck at first so are you absolutely sure?
    I'm not kidding: Going. To. Suck. So... still sure?
    Ok but don't come crying to me when you think it sucks because you aren't used to it and I better not see you crying on the internet about it, hacker"

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hum. This needs another marketing push. ever since it hit 800k or so its really slowed down. 52k to go till fully funded but I'm surprised it didnt hit that a week ago.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Seems like a lot of gaming kickstarters have slowed down.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Hum. This needs another marketing push. ever since it hit 800k or so its really slowed down. 52k to go till fully funded but I'm surprised it didnt hit that a week ago.

After the first day, things slowed down to around 10k-25k per day. I'd expect that there'll be a surge in the last 24 hours.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I think it's doing pretty alright for a remake of a very cult game that's scheduled for two potential platforms at the moment. It's almost certain to reach the funding goal and I wouldn't be surprised if it eked past a million after the campaign-ending surge.

It's clearly not going to be a Shenmue or Bloodstained, but 900k+ is nothing to sneeze at in crowdfunding land.

Zxerol on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Most kickstarters kind of reduce to a murmer up until the last 48 hours, when the website automatically notifies people who "liked" the project earlier without backing. That combines pretty nicely with a bunch of people who were on the fence getting jittery over missing out on stretch goals/exclusives at the very end of the funding period.

That all being said, yeah, I think a lot of people are more wary of backing kickstarter projects for games nowadays, as the list of failures/disappointments inevitably grows.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Nosf wrote: »

Um

*edit*
    Oh you mean currently running. Ok that makes sense.

HappylilElf on
    They are going to get funded, now it's a question of how many stretch goals can they hit.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    They are going to get funded, now it's a question of how many stretch goals can they hit.

To be honest, I've been holding off on backing so that I can time being the person who pushes it over the $900k line.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Most kickstarters kind of reduce to a murmer up until the last 48 hours, when the website automatically notifies people who "liked" the project earlier without backing. That combines pretty nicely with a bunch of people who were on the fence getting jittery over missing out on stretch goals/exclusives at the very end of the funding period.

That all being said, yeah, I think a lot of people are more wary of backing kickstarter projects for games nowadays, as the list of failures/disappointments inevitably grows.

Yeah. I will re-iterate though that in Night Dive's case, I think they're going to AT A BARE MINIMUM deliver a finished product. I mean, y'all played the demo. That demo is already better than what we got with the finished product of MN9.

So yeah. They're gonna make their funding. Stretch goals... the thing for me is that stretch goals actually make me more nervous. I did layout design on two tabletop game books that were kickstarted, and in both cases I did a demo layout first for the KS, then later had to go back and do a full layout and let me tell you, the stretch goals made my life hell. It was like "Wait, you mean I have to now basically re-do the ENTIRE LAYOUT, add new pages, use an entirely different background stationary, oh, and the printer we use changed their rules, and I have to use these new images you had designed but you did them in raster, not vector, so they scale badly and we're going to spend six weeks arguing about it?"

Which is why that KS was abominably late. If we hadn't hit a single stretch goal? I could have delivered the final layout the day we finished.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm perfectly ok with no stretch goals
    base game is already super fucking great.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    True, but I think every dollar over the goal will help make a better product. The Demo is nice, but I kinda want to see them upgrade the engine to unreal. I want to see and play the game again, but more importantly I want other people to play it and love it so the franchise has a better chance of coming back to mainstream producers.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    In this case, though. I don't think the stretch goals are that bad. It's nothing like "Basically double or triple the length of the game for a fraction of the cost" as some stretch goals have been for other kickstarters. well...so far.

M A G I K A Z A M
    My opinion: Not having a $100 tier from the get-go is always a mistake for video game kickstarters.

Also, not having a $250 tier from the get-go is always a mistake for video game kickstarters.

They added the $100 tier too late, and they still don't have a $250 tier.

I am backing at $350 and will remain there but I think $100 and $250 are critical tier levels to offer WITH a significant difference in content between the reward packages.

I'm not basing this on any particular statistics, mind you. This is my gut impression. But too many kickstarters don't properly bridge the gap between sub-$100 and above $300 and to me that is a huge error in judgment.

That's not to say this Kickstarter is in any jeopardy. It clearly isn't and will definitely be backed. But I think they lost out on early full-funding because of the above. And I think they lost potential bids because of it too.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I hope they think to add that message ending noise.

The pre-alpha is subject to huge change, but I missed the squawk-beep.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The $1.4 million stretch goal at a glance looks like a hilarious increase in scope from the previous few (and next few!) stretch goals.

I also think it's quite interesting how many of the very high back tier ($3k+) entail getting like 10 or 20 or more copies of the collector's edition. The $3K tier is straight up called "Retailer" and just gives you 20 copies of the collector's edition. Presumably, if you sold each for $60, you'd get $6K, and so turn a significant profit on your backing. I'm not sure if that's a brilliant or cynical (or both!) backer bonus.

This project still has 20 days to go and it's less than 3% away from its initial funding goal, so it's in fine shape.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    I'm sure it will hit its goal...I guess I'm just a little dissapointed as the slowness of it compared to some others. It signifies that its still not a super well known brand and thats kinda sad.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm sure it will hit its goal...I guess I'm just a little dissapointed as the slowness of it compared to some others. It signifies that its still not a super well known brand and thats kinda sad.

Remember that System Shock 2 was absolutely not a commercial success, with fewer than 100k copies sold in its first year. Its predecessor, System Shock 1, was a 100% single player FPS released in the year that came after Doom made multiplayer deathmatch a killer feature of FPS, and SS1 was also ultimately a money-losing project for the studio.

On the other hand, Bioshock was released about 8 years after SS2, and unlike SS2 received a media blitz and heavy promotion through Microsoft and Xbox. It's pretty fair to say that the vast majority of the people that would recognize Bioshock have never played a System Shock game and wouldn't recognize them.

I will always shed bitter tears for the lack of commercial success that Looking Glass Games achieved, especially with how far ahead of their time and how different every single game they made was.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited July 2016
    l_g wrote: »

Remember that System Shock 2 was absolutely not a commercial success, with fewer than 100k copies sold in its first year.

This could use a little more elaboration:

According to its Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_2#Reception), in the first 8 months of release, System Shock 2 sold close to 59k copies (58,671 to be specific). That is not so good for a game that was critically adored. That the System Shock KS already has nearly 25% of that number in backers in the first 12 days of the effort is not so bad.

Erlkönig on
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Initial funding goal met :)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    The $1.4 million stretch goal at a glance looks like a hilarious increase in scope from the previous few (and next few!) stretch goals.

I also think it's quite interesting how many of the very high back tier ($3k+) entail getting like 10 or 20 or more copies of the collector's edition. The $3K tier is straight up called "Retailer" and just gives you 20 copies of the collector's edition. Presumably, if you sold each for $60, you'd get $6K, and so turn a significant profit on your backing. I'm not sure if that's a brilliant or cynical (or both!) backer bonus.

This project still has 20 days to go and it's less than 3% away from its initial funding goal, so it's in fine shape.

The profit is intentional, a lot of kickstarters are building in levels like that for small game/hobby shops.

edited July 2016
    Nightdive announced that it's coming to PS4 as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1634920
    When we launched this Kickstarter, supporting PS4 was a possibility, but we hadn’t started talking to Sony just yet about it. We were all focused on wrapping the demo up and prepping the Kickstarter. We already had strong contacts at Microsoft from prior projects, so supporting XboxOne was less of an unknown. After we saw the overwhelming demand for PS4, we reshuffled our priorities and focused on talking to Sony about making that happen. After a few weeks and lotttts of emails, we are officially on track for bringing System Shock to the PS4! No stretch goal for it. We’re adding it in as a thank you to our backers that put their faith in us.

Supporting more platforms will cost us more time/money since ensuring a game functions smoothly and relatively bug-free is different from platform to platform. The more we’re able to raise, the better the game will be. Please tell your friends about us, share this news about the PS4 support, and help us make the amazing game you all want :-)

Uselesswarrior on
    29 hours left. Looks like we will get the Shodan Ringtone stretch goal!!! Thats all I wanted... :)

Eh...I'm more worried about this game getting legs. Save VR for the System Shock 2 remake.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not at all worried about the VR stretch goal for this one, because there is almost no way they raise $2m today.

Oh hey, I forgot to back this

@HappylilElf get on that tonight

Hope they hit their 1.3 million stretch goal.

I think this is a poorly designed pitch website, you have to scroll waaay down to see the stretch goals, they really should be front and center at this point.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    @HappylilElf did you get on that tonight?

You should have.

Yes, I actually just did!

Not at the level I wanted but rent is due in a few days so :P

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Co-op streaming SS2 right now. They are very tired.

edit: They got the 1.3Mil stretch goal.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Am I miscalculating, or would that Retailer level leave you needing to sell your 20 collectors edition copies at $150 a copy to make a profit?

Does that make sense? Seems steep.

Anyway, very interested to see where they go with this.

Disappointed that they didn't get to the additional death sequences goal, they could have gone the Dead Space route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZQWDDFF_2k