As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

what to do in Omaha?

vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
I am going to be in Omaha Nebraska for a few days the lat week of July and I ma looking for things to do. I will be working 8-5 so it would have to be things I can do in the evening. I enjoy museums and places like that but also enjoy arcades and what not so pretty open to what ever.

I also would love to hear recommendations on where to eat to get some eat local food.

Thank you for your help!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I recommend hitting the old town area - lots of good restaurants and places to hang. Check yelp.
    Didn't hit any museums while I was there, but I heard the Zoo was great (was only there for a wedding).

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Cool, Omaha's great (I live here, trust me). Where are you staying? Hopefully downtown, as that gives you a ton of walking options

To do
    Zoo if you have time. If you're working it's probably out of the question, and every weekend on during the summer it's crazy
    Lauritzen Gardens if you like plants and stuff.
    The Durham Museum is downtown and pretty neat historical look at Omaha.
    Walk around and check out shops in the Old Market
    You could walk across the Pedestrian bridge across the Missouri and take a couple steps into Iowa. There's a nice park on the other side too.
    I think late July there's an air show down at Offut AFB.
    Out west you could go to the Strategic Air and Space Museum. They have one of a few SR-71 Blackbirds there.

Eating/Drinking
    Downtown:
    Block 16 - For the money, the best food in Omaha. Absolutely do not miss, no joke. They are open for lunch every day but sunday, and dinner Thursday - Saturday.
    Upstream - Brew Pub, oldest in Omaha
    Brickway Brewing - Brewery, makes quality beer, no food
    Le Bouillon - Locally owned French food. Real good.
    Plank - Seafood
    Boiler Room - Real fancy if you want to try it. Food is amazing.
    Blatt Beer and Table - Over by the TD ameritrade park, Tap room and food. Their Chicken and Waffles are so good.

Benson: Up and coming place that I highly recommend you check out
    Beercade - Arcade that has great beers on tap!
    Krug Park - Nice taproom with 40ish taps.
    Lot 2 - Midrange super good food. Highly recommend.
    Espana - Tapas
    Taita - Upscale seafood.

Others:
    Crescent Moon - Highly regarded bar/restaurant. Something like 60 beers on tap across their main taproom, downstairs German Bierhall, and next door Belgian tap room.
    The Drover - If you want a steak (you're in Omaha, get a steak), I think they're the best. They do a whiskey marinated ribeye that is so good. Plus salad bar, potato. You will not leave hungry.
    Pitch in Dundee - Good pizza.

Hopefully that should do you.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I recommend hitting the old town area - lots of good restaurants and places to hang. Check yelp.
    Didn't hit any museums while I was there, but I heard the Zoo was great (was only there for a wedding).

Both of these things.
    So here's a thing about the zoo. It is huuuuge.
    Apparently some very wealthy person donated a large amount of land to it way back when. It's probably the only time since I was maybe 8 that I've not had time to see everything I wanted to at a zoo when I visited. The stuff I did see was great though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    @timspork's ghost Aren't you in Omaha? Any suggestions?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just to reiterate kuhlmeye.

Also if you enjoy Reubens then defiantly check out Crescent Moon. It is next to the Blackstone where chef Reuben made the sandwich. Also they have the best grilled cheese I've ever had.

Fast food wise probably hit up a Runza at least once.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Just to reiterate kuhlmeye.

Also if you enjoy Reubens then defiantly check out Crescent Moon. It is next to the Blackstone where chef Reuben made the sandwich. Also they have the best grilled cheese I've ever had.

Fast food wise probably hit up a Runza at least once.

Ah yes, forgot to mention that Crescent Moon has the best reuben in town.

Also, as an Iowan moved to Omaha, I can never recommend Runza. I do not have the fondness for them that natives do.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    wow, thank you for all the great suggestions! I was looking online for things to do and was not seeing a ton of options,. plus I feel like it always good to get a locals point of view for the food.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Say hi to Lady Fanny for us. She's financing my mission.