Confirmation has been received from the Seattle Sheraton that the Pre-Pax ("Paxmas Eve") boardgame night is on
for 2016 in Seattle.WHAT:
A coordinated meetup the night before PAX for anyone with board games, or anyone who wants to play boardgames.This is the Original Pre-PAX Boardgame night. The one that inspired all others. The one that you stumble drunkenly across on your way back to your room.WHERE:
The 2nd Floor of the Seattle Sheraton Hotel: 1400 6th Ave.WHEN:
Thursday September 1 @ 4:00 PM until late, late, late. How late? You decide!
This event is ALL AGES!! It's also FREE! And there are NO SIGNUPS!!! Just show up and have a great time. Feel free to bring your spawn, but remember that PAXers have filthy, filthy mouths and your wee ones may be subject to some exciting new vocabulary.
All games are brought by the attendees and shared; there is no game library provided so if you're bringing games, grab a couple extras to lend out. Got no game? No problem! You can borrow someone's game.DEETS:
-500 seats in and around Grand Ballroom B on the 2nd floor.
-The ballroom will be open until midnight. Games will need to be moved to the downstairs lobbies at that time.
-There will be a bar upstairs, by the gaming area. You're also welcome to order food/booze and bring it up from the restaurant/bar downstairs. There will not be table service.
-This event is not paid for, endorsed by, or affiliated with Official Penny Arcade. It is a community-run event.THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Buy your food and drinks from the hotel. No outside food. It's how we "pay" for this event that they give us for free.THE OTHER RULES
- This is important enough to list twice: The hotel gives us this space for free: they don't owe us this event. In return we give them a good bar and restaurant take. Please make every effort to purchase food and/or drink from the hotel.
Takeout pizza or outside food is discouraged in the strongest possible terms, and I will be asking people who have food to take it elsewhere. If your budget is tight and you can't afford hotel food, please eat before or go to your room to eat. Thank you in advance for understanding how this whole free-game-night-barter-system-politics thing works.
- Because of fire code restrictions, please game in the designated areas instead of in the hotel lobbies. If you see people gaming in the lobbies, roll a knowledge check to see if they know there's a designated gaming area. Gaming in the bar and restaurant is fine as long as you're not tablesquatting (ie: make sure you continue to order as if the table is turning each hour). Note that the hotel security staff may be policing the downstairs main lobby and asking people to move upstairs so that the non-PAX guests can use the downstairs lobby.
- Please don't be an egregious douchebag. For example, one year some guy decided it would be a great idea to smoke a vape in the ballroom and the hotel manager came and had an unpleasant chat with me about it. This isn't your buddy's garage man cave, please act appropriately. We pride ourselves on being a responsible, self-policing community, so if you see someone acting inappropriately (eating takeout food, smoking, vandalizing or just being a dick), it's a good idea to nicely recommend they knock it the fuck off before management does.
- Be Excellent to each other. We freaks and geeks can be a socially maladroit group, so if someone is shyly lurking by your table, invite them to join. Be patient, be nice. Please don't flip your table.
- On an historical note, the hotel is already on board, and this year is looking much easier than last year in terms of planning and confirmation. Huzzah!
- Lastly, do not anger LexiconGrrl by breaking the rules. We have worked hard for this event, don't piss on it. There is an excellent possibility that I may be exhausted, half-drunk, and resentful about missing PAX so if I have to intervene between you and the hotel I will ensure that Game Night is the most memorable part of your PAX experience, along with everyone else within a 5 table radius.HOW IT WORKS on the thread
1. If you have games to bring, please post what you're bringing.
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post your request.HOW IT WORKS at the Hotel
1. Your coordinator for the night is LexiconGrrl. You can find her at the Info table with the Cookie Brigade if you have any questions.
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.
4. We will have a hosted checkout system at the info table. You can drop off games to loan or borrow games there. If you're dropping off, I recommend doing this:
Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.