As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Homestuck]: Turns out the ride NEVER ends

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Hey now Kings Quest was only a year late.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh zards not this again.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    This is very cool

https://youtu.be/JyxgBfhPEG8

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i appreciate that they are delaying the game until we complete cd's world tour, not saying anything at all to let us save face

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    New trailer for the game is good and has me looking forward to the finished product. It definitely looks like an interactive version of the comic, which is what I was hoping for.

Still irritated that it was apparently close enough to ready 4 months ago that they felt confident to say as such, and then it's STILL not got an official release date.

But whatever we know it's coming along nicely.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Probably more truncated than it should be, but it's still barely 413 on Pacific time and I am just crunched for time. Wouldn't feel right if I didn't so something, though. So:

Today in Homestuck
    April 13
    2009: 16 pages. HOMESTUCK. We meet a young, bespectacled boy on his 13th birthday. He stands in front of the door of his bedroom, with a poster advertising something called the SBURB BETA behind him. We're asked for his name, so we enter ZOOSMELL POOPLORD. The game tells us to "TRY AGAIN, SMARTASS". We try again, inputting JOHN EGBERT. The game, and young man, find this acceptable. We zoom out for a wider view of his room. His passion for REALLY TERRIBLE MOVIES is corroborated by the posters for movies like CON AIR and DEEP IMPACT. In addition to bad movies, he also likes to program (but he is apparently "NOT VERY GOOD AT IT") and considers himself an amateur magician. Also scattered about are two cakes and a hammer and some nails. Next to his computer is GAME BRO magazine. Next to one of the cakes on his chest-of-drawers is a poster tube and what appears to be small card. We ask him to "retrieve arms from drawer", but John tells us that they're in his MAGIC CHEST over in the other corner of the room. Seeing that he does not have arms, we helpfully move the cake off the magic chest so that he can open it. He does and holds up his FAKE ARMS, used for "HILARIOUS ANTICS". He CAPTCHALOGUES the arms into his SYLLADEX (whatever that means). Also in the chest are a PAIR OF HANDCUFFS, STUNT SWORD, MAGICIAN'S HAT, PAIR OF BEAGLE PUSS GLASSES, SMOKE PELLETS, BLOOD CAPSULES, and a COPY OF COLONEL SASSACRE'S DAUNTING TEXT OF MAGICAL FRIVOLITY AND PRACTICAL JAPERY, as well as HARRY ANDERSON'S "WISE GUY" BY MIKE CAVENEY. We ask him to captchalogue the smoke pellets. They are added to another card in John's sylladex, leaving two empty. We ask him to "equip" the fake arms, but he can't because the the card is underneath the card we just put the smoke pellets in. Apparently the sylladex's FETCH MODUS is currently a STACK. Since John isn't good with data structures, he finds this all "puzzling and mildly irritating". We takes a second to admire the wonderfully hardboiled Problem Slueth poster in the other corner of his room. We then take a look at the card on the drawers. It smells of "FATHERLY AFTERSHAVE AND COLOGNES" and reads "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SON. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU." John captchalogues the rolled-up poster. Needing some way to put it on the wall, he goes and picks up the hammer on the floor. His sylladex is now full, though. To see what happens, he picks up the nails. The fake arms are ejected right onto John's face. With that sorted, John thinks whatever he does next will be "exceptionally meaningful", so we ask him to "squawk like an imbecile and shit on your desk". He feels stupid for even thinking that.

2010: 1 page, 1 flash: [ S] Jack: Ascend.
    :whistle: Bring your wife in trouble
    It will never trouble you :whistle:
    4/13/2010 Page 3568
    [ S] Jack: Ascend.
    Audio: "Black" by Toby Radiation Fox ("Liquid Negrocity" by Toby Radiation Fox)
    :whistle: Make her a member of the Midnight Crew :whistle: We see a shot of the MIDNIGHT CREW poster in Dave's bedroom. We then see a shot of the INCIPISPHERE: the inner three planets we've already seen, orbiting around Skaia, which has Prospit and its moon close by. We pull back further to see a series of asteroids with buildings on them: THE VEIL. And even further back, beyond the Veil, we see the purple towers we saw in [ S] WV: Ascend. This time, though, 3 of the towers' orbs are lit and contain silhouettes of the pre-entry prototyped kernelsprites: a jester doll, less a part of its hat, an arm, and an eye; a feline face with a fancy princess's hat and tentacles; and a crow with a sword through it. We see that like Propsit, this world also has a MOON attached on a chain with two towers on it. The caption for this world: DERSE. We go to Jack Noir's office. His costume sits unworn as he goes through a stack of paperwork. The GREEN PACKAGE remains on his desk. We see that is he not in fact working, but doodling. The parking citation has a crude image of the BLACK QUEEN drawn on it along with "HUGE BITCH BLUH BLUH" and a spade. Jack crumples the note in disgust. We descend into the core of the world, and then back to the surface of the towers as we see the Black Queen approach Jack's office and slices one of his FENESTRATED WALLS. She confronts Jack and forces him to wear the accursed attire. He finally tears one of the costumes off. We zoom up the chain to the moon, and rapidly ascend to the top of one of the towers. We see inside the outline of Rose's face, as her Dreamself is now awake and also cognizant of what she has scrawled on the walls in her sleep: MEOW over and over. However, possibly with assists from her alternate timeline dreamself and the cryptic information she got from Jaspersprite, she realizes that this actually a cipher for another four letters: GCAT. Back on LOLAR, a boat and a pony appear at the dock to a cave. Inside, ROSE'S MOM confronts and easily dispatches a gigantic monster. JOHN'S DAD is on LOWAS doing the same, while also putting in a request on a minitablet for a new hat. DAVE'S BRO does the same on LOHAC. We get a quick shot of the four kids: JOHN using his rocket pack, ROSE asleep, DAVESPRITE using Dave's computer, and JADE asleep on her bed. Becquerel transitions us back to Derse. The Queen is threatening Jack with her sword, when he suddenly reaches for the GREEN PACKAGE. He instantly slices off the Queen's RING and her finger along with it, and then quickly and utterly destroys the rest of her. He grabs the ring off the ground. The ring has 4 orbs on it, 3 of which are currently lit. He puts it on his finger, and then begins to transform according to the kids' prototyping: a sword grows through his chest, he acquires the hat he hated so much, tentacles, and finally, a pair of wings.

2011: 5 pages. Terezi finally starts getting to her talking points. Terezi says that her problem is also a matter of not only justice, but also practicality. She explains the concept of "L3G1SL4C3R4TORS" though Dave's pretty quick on the uptake ("alien death lawyers who were sorta like bounty hunters in olden times"). She goes on to say that not only were did they posses cunning and martial skills, they also understood the minds of their targets. And so, she feels she is the only one who can handle "H3R". Dave points this out and she gets onto him for interrupting again, but he asks if "little interrogative quips to grease the wheels of your monologue" are okay. She says sure, and also, "WHO DO YOU TH1NK?" "spidertroll" "TH3 SP1D3R13ST ON3 OF 4LL" Dave guesses Terezi's finally decided to take Vriska out, but also notes that she doesn't "sound that psyched about it". Terezi says she certainly deserves it due to the murder of "4T L34ST ON3 OF MY GOOD FR13NDS" "4ND POSS1BLY S3V3R4L OTH3RS". But arguably her worse crime is that she was "COMPL1C1T 1N J4CKS R1S3 TO POW3R" (and admits that that originally she thought it was John's fault and took it out on him), and that she knows for sure because Vriska has been taunting her about it, "TRY1NG TO ST1R UP OUR OLD R1V4LRY". Oh, and that "SH3 H4S D3C1D3D TO F1GHT J4CK H3RS3LF". Dave asks why that's a problem, since Jack would likely defeat Vriska. "B3C4US3 1 4M QU1T3 SUR3 TH4T 1F SH3 GO3S TO F1ND H1M, 1T W1LL T1P H1M OFF TO OUR LOC4T1ON 1N TH3 V31L" "1 H4V3 S33N 1T 4LR34DY" "TH4T 1S WHY TH1S 1S NO S1MPL3 V3ND3TT4" "BR1NG1NG H3R TO JUST1C3 1S CR1T1C4L TO OUR SURV1V4L!" Dave asks her why she doesn't just "go do it", then. Terezi says she's not sure she can kill her when the time comes. Dave says "i thought trolls were all about gratuitous murderings". And she says she thought that too (and that Vriska sure doesn't seem to be having any issues) but she's not sure if she's ready for it. And that really "1 M1GHT NOT 4CTU4LLY W4NT TO B3 R34DY" "M4YB3 3V3R". Dave points out that she's all about "macabre stuff" ("and smelling cherry blood and such things contrived to get a guy feeling vaguely uncomfortable"). Oh, and that hasn't she killed people before? She points out that she didn't kill them with her own hand, she manipulated them. (And she says that maybe someday Dave will understand the difference as well.) Dave feels that he doesn't really have the cultural perspective necessary to give her advice on this, so he asks "do you want me to tell you to be a better human" "or to be a better troll". She points out that you can't ask the person you're supposed to advise what advice to give them, and besides, maybe she just wants to talk about it. So he just tells her to "just do what you think you have to do". Which reminds them, isn't she supposed to show him about the god tier thing? So he says that he'll "hang up now with future you and then start pestering present you about it". And then he has one last question, which she already gave future him the answer to: "does luck actually matter?" Terezi walks toward a door. It opens to pitch-black darkness, and then to: "END OF YEAR 2" "4/13/2009 - 4/13/2011" "> REMOVE DISC 1." We then attempt INSERT DISC 2, but apparently "DISC 2 IS MISSING!"

2012: 7 pages, 1 flash: [ S] ACT 6 ACT 3. The curtains transition over, reminding us that this is the END OF YEAR 3. A new green curtain appears, and opens. ACT 6 ACT 3.
    4/13/2012 Page 6720
    [ S] ACT 6 ACT 3
    Audio: "Rain" by Clark Powell
    Let's Play! Myststuck
    Part 1
    Part 2

2013: 6 pages, 1 flash: [ S][A6I5] ==>.
    4/13/2013 Page 8131
    [ S][A6I5] ==>
    Audio: "A Taste for Adventure" by Seth "Beatfox" Peelle
    John holds the 4th wall that transported himself, Jade, and Davesprite to the Land of Mounds and Xenon. John sighs as the epic music provides an ironic backdrop to him wondering where his friends are (specifically, Dave, Rose, Karkat, and a host of other trolls he hasn't met). He lays back on the SLAB OF THE JADED FOOL'S ENNUI, not even noticing that Eriolsprite drops by to flip him off. "SO BORED" scrolls by on the screen. So he just says screw it and starts screwing around. He plays some 52 PICKUP and some solitaire. He tears into a pack of FRUIT GUSHERS. He irons his pants. ("HELL YES") He rides his GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE while firing off bottles of shaving cream ("HELL FUCKING YES"). He rediscovers his love of CON AIR. And then he sets out to build a literal house of cards on the slab, which of course echos the shape of the HOMESTUCK LOGO. He raises his arms in triumph. A flash of green light later, Rose, Terezi, Dave, Karkat, Kanaya, and WV are unceremoniously dumped on the ground in front of him.
    John looks down at the ground. A second later, it sinks in that his friends are finally there. The green curtains close. END OF ACT 6 INTERMISSION 5. END OF YEAR 4.

2014: No update.

2015: 12 pages, 1 flash: [ S] ACT 6 ACT 6 ACT 5.
    4/13/2015 Page 9309
    ACT 6 ACT 6 ACT 5
    Audio: "Homosuck Swan Song" by Toby "Radiation" Fox
    The green curtains part. We zoom in on the an... angular (though better!) approximation of the area where Calliope is hiding. Her stage is there as well. We suddenly switch shots, (very) slowly getting closer to the stage, until it suddenly is right in front of us. The stage seems to be made of... cardboard cutouts curdely cut and drawn on.
    We now have a front-row seat for Calliborn's latest masterpiece which seems to be rendered in claymation. Caliborn claims that we are witnessing a scene in the far future, "LONG BEYOND WHEN WE, YOU, OR I HAVE ANY BUSINESS SEEING WHAT HAPPENS". It's after he gains the "MAGIC RAINBOW EYES" but before he is, well, fully Lord English. He has come into poessesion of his juju after slaughtering his denizen, as well as a "GOLDEN RING OF VOID". Also present are Gamzee, Lil' Cal, and Lil' Seb. Suddenly, "EIGHT ASSHOLES" "APPEAR OUT OF NOWHERE". Though at first shocked, he then turns "GIDDY, AND SINISTER. BECAUSE I KNOW IN MY HEART THAT TRULY, THEY ARE ABOUT TO GET OWNED." He says that he can tell they've been planning for a long time, and that their ambush could even work. Except it won't, because he won't "EVEN GIVE THEM THE CHANCE" thanks to his "SUPERIOR WEAPON" (i.e., his juju).

2016: 2 pages, 1 animated short: [ S] ACT 7. THE END.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    SnerkySnerky call me trick the c is silentRegistered User regular
    very pleased to see you still doing the gods' own work, sim

EYDHoqw.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Still haven't finished this comic. Got to Jane and Jake in my reread (does it still count as a reread if you didn't read the whole thing?) and just sorta petered out.

I petered out at the first midnight crew. I need to get back there sometime.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Still haven't finished this comic. Got to Jane and Jake in my reread (does it still count as a reread if you didn't read the whole thing?) and just sorta petered out.
    Midnight Crew Intermission is one of those things that you hate on the first read because it interrupts the story you're extremely invested in, and give you a host of seemingly unrelated characters.

Then it's awesome on rereads.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Midnight Crew Intermission is one of those things that you hate on the first read because it interrupts the story you're extremely invested in, and give you a host of seemingly unrelated characters.

Now Hivebent on the other hand...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Now Hivebent on the other hand...

Is worse on re-reads because you don't have the gaps between pages to go on hundred-page arguments about which character is the worst.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I still like Hivebent. It really is pretty dang short (especially in retrospect at this point) and still has some good shit in it.

• Options
    Hivebent is pretty bad, and I read Hivebent via archive binge, so the serial reader defense don't work here.

You get a shitload of new characters, half of which have typing formats so annoying that even Hussie forces Feferi and Eridan to stop it in several of their conversations.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I think Hivebent might have actually been better with the hiatus in the middle? Going through it again, it feels very rushed and compressed in a bad way.

At least when you were reading along you could get some time to stew on it while stuck on that one robosmooch, and thus get a bit more of a feel for (some of) the characters. When doing an archive binge they just go in one metaphorical ear and out the other.

Neveron on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm pretty bad at keeping track of character names in general, so the first time I read through Hivebent I just completely lost track of who everyone was.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hivebent is the best part of Homestuck.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hivebent is the first troll-centric perspective shift, right?

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular

For what it's worth I immediately loved the intermission. I had no idea why it was happening, but I just rolled with it and enjoyed the Time Travel Shenanigans.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

Yep. A5A1

I'd argue that it may be one of the most important parts of Homestuck, at least insofar as making Homestuck an Internet phenomenon.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Yep. A5A1

I'd argue that it may be one of the most important parts of Homestuck, at least insofar as making Homestuck an Internet phenomenon.

And yet, in the end, I feel both the comic and the fandom could have done with fewer shitty teens.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    You're never going to outrun shitty teens, it's just a way of life.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The only truly bad part of Homestuck is the Dancestors IMO

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Hivebent just kinda feels essential to homestuck

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Hivebent just kinda feels essential to homestuck

Boy it sure didn't at first read and even going back so much of it is completely vestigial to anything of consequence.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I think Hivebent goes long but you can't really attach yourself to Karkat or really any of the other trolls without it and the reveal of the universe getting made wouldn't have the same impact without it.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    like every part of homestuck you could probably come up with a leaner, cleaner version of hivebent

there's only 12 trolls because that's how many you need to exhuast every 2 letter permutationi of GCAT, you could save a lot of time if you cut out like 5 of them and wouldn't really lose anything of consequence

lord knows hussie didn't actually give a shit about feferi, nepeta, sollux, or eridan

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    I think Hivebent goes long but you can't really attach yourself to Karkat or really any of the other trolls without it and the reveal of the universe getting made wouldn't have the same impact without it.

This is my dilemma. The four or so trolls that I feel are absolutely crucial to the story and good characters that we're better off for having absolutely needed Hivebent in order to fit into the rest of the story. But so much of Hivebent is just a waste of time with bad characters that are a slog to read about. Yet that sequence wouldn't work if you just scrapped them and kept the good ones. So you're left with this really messy thing that's mostly a slog that you have to put up with to get back to the good part of the comic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    nah hivebent is great

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    What does the Vriska/John Terezi/Dave feud look like without the Scourge sister Make her Pay arc?
    How would murderstuck play without you getting invested in those mooks? Without the background of Karkat's need to be a leader?
    Would the Vriska-John thing play the same without the Tavros-Vriska thing before?
    Karkat's weird hate romance with John?
    Woul Kanaya work if we didn't see her putting with everyone's bullshit?

• Options
    Hivebent is week, but Homestuck survived it and was better for it.

It's the other perspective swap that derailed the whole comic and resulted in the trainwreck.

Act 6 was a mistake.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2017
    plus I genuinely enjoy meeting twelve new characters with escalating levels of bullshit
    all, you think this guy is the worst? WELL YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET

i find it humorous

tynic on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    plus I genuinely enjoy meeting twelve new characters with escalating levels of bullshit
    all, you think this guy is the worst? WELL YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET

i find it humorous

thinking on it, yeah. Seeing how gamzee and Eridan turned out kinda softened me on Equius. Dude was a creep, but nowhere near as bad as those other two

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    hivebent is easily the best thing in homestuck

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hivebent is pretty bad, and I read Hivebent via archive binge, so the serial reader defense don't work here.

You get a shitload of new characters, half of which have typing formats so annoying that even Hussie forces Feferi and Eridan to stop it in several of their conversations.

if I remember correctly, they only stop in one conversation, because Eridan needed to say "no, this is how serious I am about this one thing in particular".

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    Hivebent is week, but Homestuck survived it and was better for it.

It's the other perspective swap that derailed the whole comic and resulted in the trainwreck.

Act 6 was a mistake.

I don't think Act 6 was a mistake, but there were definitely mistakes in the execution.

Acts 1-5 and Acts 6-7 are different enough that they feel like separate stories - they have different antagonists, different thematic concerns, different main casts, etc. I think it would have benefited both sides of Homestuck if there were a cleaner break between the two. If Act 5 had been allowed to tie up a few more story threads, Hussie could have ended it there and then launched Act 6 a few weeks later as "Homestuck 2" or whatever.

Positioning Acts 6-7 as a separate story (which, in practice, it already is) would stop it from feeling like a digression, and people could enjoy it without constantly wondering when Hussie is going to get back to the main story.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    While this would be insane, it would have been cool if Act 6 was actually a separate comic, and the original homestuck continued at the same time. That would kind of make sense and also have been a very homestuck thing to do.

Likely would have needed a second writer though. And no game being developed in the background.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I still like Hivebent. It really is pretty dang short (especially in retrospect at this point) and still has some good shit in it.

I laughed so hard when Aradia was hosting Equius's game, and he was straight-up getting off on it. It was wonderful.

The most popular video I ever made also sprung from that bit of nonsense, so it's kinda special to me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sadomasopedorobonecrobestiality? I still have the mp3

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    That's the one!

It's sitting at around 185k views, I think? The highest anything else I made is not even half that much.

A ton of my vids (especially my video game stuff) doesn't even hit triple digits.

I have one at 300k, but I didn't really make that, so much as just clip a scene from mask of the Phantasm and upload it to YouTube ten years ago.

I am pretty terrible at popularity.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Hey the best i ever did was post a vid of a molten core run from vanilla wow in a nostalgia thread on reddit. Got me 180 veiws and that is 170 more than i will ever see again.