Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[closed] [PBP] [DW] The Merry Freebooters of Ditchwater

1910111315

Posts

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    --

    Apologies @Glazius, I meant to post earlier, was just busy at work. But this update is easier to follow and is appreciated.

    My votes:
    I'm ok with not looking for more work, we're got jobs decaying on us faster than we can tackle them.

    I thought we were doing ok coin wise but strips and potions aint cheap. So I think we want Glory to at least spend 1 time in Havenglen Grove, selling the Spinel at 125% (+130 or 162 coin).
    Since the rest of us are uncharismatic boors, I'd settle for selling the marker here too at 100% (+70 coin), since I assume Glory can't barter in two places at once (we'll have to do something about that...)
    We should also be buying at least 1 set of breath strips (-75 coin) and 1 potion (50 coin each? ouch) from Havenglen Grove.
    With only 5 uses of strips, the group uses almost the whole set in 6 hours, so maybe buying two sets is smarter and skipping the potion (or maybe getting that too, but that pretty much cleans out the party petty cash), but that's a lot of coin to get TO a job. Hope it pays well.

    I think the time savers are a given. Koba Volunteers to Jouret, Xeno works the rumormill, and Ajax either throws an bond assist to Glory and/or (could he do both?) asks Questions in Goingforth to get us some +1s to these other prep rolls.

    Since the Jouret thing is 0 time, could Koba do that AND something else? Could Ajax use a bond to help Glory AND something else?

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    --

    Overall, I agree with not taking on more jobs yet, I'd like to clean up our list a little more first before we start building it again.

    Also, I'm in the camp of worrying more about the breath strips than the healing pots. Even if it means not picking up any pots, as I worry that we're going to get in a bad place if we don't have enough breath strips and I don't think we have all that much coin to spare.

    Also, is it possible for Glory to barter both? I'm assuming that it'll add ticks to the clock, but might be worth it to get what we can extra out of the sales (plus, I'll happily add a bond where I can since Ajax is kind of worthless in civilized places)

    Boozer
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    We've moved from the part where you're in unknown territory and I dictate the pace of play, to where you're in slightly friendlier territory and take your own initiative.

    So.

    ON JOBS: It's fine to feel overwhelmed. Jobs progress over time but it's not the progression of some impending doom, though most jobs will eventually close, one way or another. I'm not expecting you to necessarily care about everything there is on offer right now. If you do, that's fine! The option to pursue work and make contacts in other places is just another option - take or leave it.

    ON SPENDING TIME: Each of you can do as much or as little as you'd like. The only limitation here is, well, how much time is remaining. Koba's offer to heal 1-time is optional - they may not want to burden your trip to Tyranthis Far with a side mission and instead get tasked by the Last Gatesmen when you all show up to get paid. Glory can try and make contact with the merchants in all three parishes if you'd like them to - you'd get the best deals that way but it would take time. l only ask two things.

    - only make one roll per post, lest Geth writes you a check you can't cash
    - if you aren't getting involved, or are only getting involved peripherally, give us a glimpse into how you pass the time while you're waiting for word to come back

    I think that should answer all the questions?

    ---

    tags: @Boozer @AustinP0027 @Grog @wildwood

  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    --
    I will totally go to Jouret and find out what she wants done.

    Kinda stumped for a question though, anyone else got any ideas?

    I'd also like to temporarily rig the suit to be able to as a submersible- equivalent to the Mobile suit- Amphibious move. Is that feasible @Glazius ?

    6TEhEQr.jpg?1
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    --

    Shopping time! Does anyone have any preference as to which place Glory shops first?

    @Grog - would it make sense to ask Jouret about what kinds of opportunities the re-arranging of the parishes has shaken loose?

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    --

    I would sell the spinel at Havenglen Grove. If you get a 10+ I would but two sets of magical strips from there for the bonus effect.

    Then sell the marker at Ditchwater. If you get the 10+ here, buy two sets of chemical strips at 75% if you didn't get them already from Havenglen.

    As for the question, I'm interested in Places of (cosmic) Power, but I can't make use of them until I take the Ritual move, which I won't take until level 4 or 5. I'm kind of learning towards the "Master of the Cosmos" move but Ritual IS ridiculous.
    I think the Time-Reversed logographer's dome may be a Place of Power (now). Probably worth securing it for ourselves more permanently...

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited March 3
    Grog wrote: »
    --
    I will totally go to Jouret and find out what she wants done.

    Kinda stumped for a question though, anyone else got any ideas?

    I'd also like to temporarily rig the suit to be able to as a submersible- equivalent to the Mobile suit- Amphibious move. Is that feasible @Glazius ?

    Absolutely! You've got the means to repair your suit, stands to reason you'd be able to tinker with it.

    Just, uh, where and how were you planning to test your improvements under actually-submerged-in-water conditions? "In Tyranthis Far" is an acceptable answer. Well, it is to me, anyway.

    ---

    tags: @Grog

    Glazius on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited March 4
    __
    I mean, it's called Ditchwater for a reason, right? Just gotta find a deep enough ditch. Dunking a giant suit of armour might attract some attention though.

    edit: ah, jeez. Don't suppose anyone wants to angel that?

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Make A Submarine Suit (Int)

    Make A Submarine Suit (Int):
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=1, 3]

    Grog on
    6TEhEQr.jpg?1
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Xeno caught only a glimpse of Koba's armor being pried opened by a giant crab, but it was enough.

    "NO! Ahem, let's search a little further for an uh... less occupied ditch." He insisted.

    --

    Geth roll 1d6 for Koba Angel

    Koba Angel:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited March 4
    As you might or might not remember, Ditchwater does face out onto a lakefront in which a few dozen mutually exclusive marine ecosystems pretty much annihilated each other, sometimes through pure chemical reaction. Some mornings it's on fire. And there's a canal system running through the place which occasionally hooks up to other parishes and the dubious lake.

    There is no shortage of places to test. But perhaps there is a temporary shortage of giant crabs in some of them?

    Pick your poison, Koba.
    • You're too quick to declare success. At some point I will declare your changes fail on you and need repair. You'll want time, safety, and a similar roll.
    • You're willing to accept imperfections. I get to some up with some drawback to how your air-breathing works.
    • You know good work takes time. Specifically, it takes 1d2-time and a certain amount of unavoidably public testing, which may even draw a crowd.
    ---

    tags: @Grog

    Glazius on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    --
    Well, we need that time for Glory's selling spree, so I'll take some imperfections. Just as long as the drawback isn't 'powered by money'.

    6TEhEQr.jpg?1
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Glory strolled through the crafters' square in Havenglen Grove, trying to focus on the game plan. Find a reputable-looking magecraft merchant. Don't get distracted. Sell them on the value and quality of the spinel. Don't get sidetracked into unrelated stories.

    And above all, don't accept stories as payment.

    "Hello, good sir!" he started, stepping into a well-maintained shop. "Lovely weather we're having today..."

    --

    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Tactical Shopping

    Tactical Shopping:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=2, 2]

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 4
    --
    If no one else does, I'll try and assist Glory. I already exhausted my bond with him so I'll give others a chance first.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Glory recalls Koba placing a hand on his shoulder, looking him dead in the eyes and sternly repeating: "Do not accept stories as payment."
    --
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Angel

    Angel:
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

    6TEhEQr.jpg?1
    wildwood
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Tell you what, Glory. That winds up so close to 10 that I'ma let you pick, because I want to see what you pick.

    You can either:
    • Treat this as a 7-9 result, so it's a normal shop, but have this only take 1-time, or
    • Treat this as a 10, get your bonus cash on selling and your bonus effects when buying, but it takes 2-time. You talk up the shopkeep, get to know them and the neighborhood. Tell me something neat about them, or let me tell you.
    And Koba, you end up finding that the easiest way to get a necromantic power armor to breathe water is to funnel in the life energy of something that breathes water. So, fish. Freshly killed fish. You will have the smell of fish blood and guts about you, especially in the water.

    ---

    tags: @wildwood @Grog

  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    --

    I'd be up for spending 2-time to get the bonus effects, even if that means skipping shopping in Ditchwater. But then, Glory's a former statue whose grasp on budgeting and logistics has always been a bit tenuous.

    How much more time do we want to spend before heading out? We can use the already-spent shopping time to get the breath strips (make mine mint!). Do we have a sense of how much time we want to still have before heading for, um, Tyrannosaurus Falls?

    @Glazius - once the Havenglen shopping is resolved, Glory would like to do the 0-time visit to Octagonia. The poor girl must be worried about us.

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 5
    --

    I agree it's better to take the 2 time deal, sell the splindle at 125% and buy the strips w the bonus. If possible, I would also sell the marker at 100% and skip selling/ rolling in Ditchwater.

    Koba can go see Jouret to save 1 time.

    I'll stll do the rumor thing in Ditchwater (maybe take that stroll in the Grove as well), since we might save time, or at least it won't add more time and get some Intel on the Thing.

    Also, for the Favor. I would say a momento is in order. Given the Wayfarers propensity for leaving for long periods if time physical proof might make sense.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    While y'all strategizing about shops, Glory, I'll give you the what what about the status of your quarters in Ditchwater.

    The halls are... well, "honeycombed" seems a little too close to the truth. There's a rough mesh of wire about three inches off the wall surface, propped up at various points by discarded bits of brass and machinery. The bitty clockwork things scuttle along underneath it. The Dukes are largely gone, though there are a couple of... torsos or limbs or torso fragments bound into the ceiling wrapped so tightly you can barely tell what shape they are.

    Octagonia is in a room that would serve most other creatures as a machine shop, but she calls it her parlor. She's got something boiling, Glory, and she passes you a cup. You take a cautious sniff, but it's been a while since someone sat down with her and talked through the differences between animal, vegetable, and mineral oils and she seems to have finally grasped the concept. So she drinks her oil broth, and you sip at your fairly bland soup. ("Salt" is so broadly applicable a term that you've been a little hesitant to broach the concept.)

    She opens up asking if you've seen your quarters since they're back to normal condition now, and you did take a peek and didn't see anything out of place. Somebody from the Motti Gang was snooping around again but they barely got a glimpse inside the building when they just took off, spooked. She's proud of her children.

    Oh, and by the way, you were all very considerate and helpful during the temporary reign of the Dukes, and all that, but now that things are getting back to normal she's going to need some rent soon, especially with so many orifices to fill. Mouths to feed?, you ask, and she gets that what's-the-difference look about her.

    The usual bits of precious metal will be.. fine, she says, and in that significant pause some gears clack together inside of her. But it seems the little ones aren't really taking to them the way they had before. She isn't quite sure what to do - letting them swarm out into Ditchwater to find their own food didn't work too well the last time, and she doesn't want to leave them all at home alone either.

    Maybe you'd be willing to take one with you and see what it wants?

    tags: @wildwood

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 7
    Xeno took a moment to take a stroll through Havenglen Grove to clear his mind, before heading back to Ditchwater to work the rumormill at his usual haunts; gambling dens more and less reputable than Weathermist Sands.

    While the games are too quick and too well scrutinized to allow for a more involved casting, his unusual perceptive abilities and intelligence allow him to avoid some of the larger pitfalls of the games. Plus he’s smart enough to prefer games played against other players, not the house.

    He does so today, and attempts to learn more about our mutual friends from his fellow players at the low stakes tables.

    So I’m going to assume this happens after Glory’s shopping so we are at least at 2 time, or more likely 3 time.

    Doing the 0 time stroll then the 1 time Ditchwater rumor mill.

    Geth roll 2d6+2 for charming and open (INT)

    How can I get our mutual friends to not interfere with our mission/do the thing (assuming the thing will interfere)?
    Who do our mutual friends serve?
    What do our mutual friends most desire?

    Edit - Lovely, all the time in the world...

    charming and:
    2d6+2 5 [2d6=2, 1]

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited March 8
    A Thing In Tyranthis Far: ■■|■□|□□

    Phew. Alright then, we have some interesting choices to make, don't we?

    First off. Time management. You are at 1-time, +1-time from Xeno, +1 time from Glory, which can go to an additional +1 time to get the good stuff at Havenglen. Koba may or may not choose to take 1-time off of this.

    So if nothing else changes you'll be headed for Tyranthis Far at between 2-time and 4-time, so lemme spoil a bit.

    2-time will put you late on the "A Thing Gets Planned" clock. It is still possible to stop it, but more likely you'll just wind up gathering information closer to the source and get a jump on the next clock.

    3-time and 4-time will put you early and middlin' on the "A Thing Happens" clock. 5-time will put you late on that clock, and at 6-time it runs out.

    As for the nature of that clock, I do believe Xeno is owed some answers. This is kind of the aggregate of what you manage to piece together, not answers from any one specific person, though I'll give you a tip-off as to who first put you on the trail and how.

    ---

    What do "our mutual friends" most desire? A scavenger burning through money at a rapid rate mentioned she got tapped to go pull some noble's personal effects out of the Shoal Fortress, which is kind of odd, because - well, let me explain.

    Previously the people of Tyranthis Far had built great buildings out of the megafauna, necessarily close to the sea because that describes all land on Tyranthis Far. They tended to favor gentle slopes into the sea while doing so, just to make day-to-day life that much easier.

    But now that they can build buildings out of things the megafauna have less of an appetite for, and build these "bait fortresses" out of megafauna to draw attacks, the fortresses themselves are often built near what few sheer outcrops there are on the plane - largely so they can be tethered to the land and then cut loose in the event of an overwhelming attack, to hopefully pull the attack away from the inhabited portion of an island as the fortress breaks loose and sinks.

    But these fortresses aren't, like, regularly staffed. The tides are predictable but the oceans themselves are never perfectly known, so by and large their garrison moves in and out with Swell Season, and there's only a token force left behind to carry off most of the precious things in the fortress in the event of a sudden attack.

    And this lady was hired to get in, get some things, and get out without alerting the emergency guards. That combined with some later questions about rumors gets you this: your mutual friends most desire to sink the Shoal Fortress.

    ---

    Who do "your mutual friends" serve? So after hearing that a noble wanted to pull some of their crap out of the Shoal Fortress, you started fishing for some of the regulars from Tyranthis Far who regularly worked off-the-books for the nobles there. Weirdly enough you didn't get a lot of responses there.

    Or from the mercenaries, or the general criminal element. Which means one of two things. Either the entire plan is being orchestrated from outside Tyranthis Far, which seems unlikely considering how much of the traffic to and from Tyranthis Far flows through Ditchwater, and the general fate of most things that flow through Ditchwater.

    Or, more likely, your mutual friends are working for some faction within the Tyranthis Far military.

    ---

    How can you get "your mutual friends" to not interfere with you? You could figure out why they want to sink the Shoal Fortress and offer an alternative. Or you could figure out how they plan to topple it and damage or destroy the means they have to do so. But more than that would be telling.

    So, uh, yeah. Waterbreathing. Pretty good idea.

    I will tell you this much - you do get a picture of how the military handles its provisioning and such. So a good place to start is to find some military supply depot near the Shoal Fortress, which actually is on one of the larger land-spurs near a city that links to Dis. And then... figure out what they're storing, or more likely what they were storing, depending on how much time you decide to take.

    ---

    Incidentally, Ajax, you've been pretty quiet. What have you been up to, all this time?

    ---

    Once the decisions get made about time, I'll give you your scene in the grove, Xeno.

    ---

    tags: @wildwood @Grog @Boozer @AustinP0027

    Glazius on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited March 8
    While the others set out with specific tasks in mind, the Weaponmaster was left to his own devices. He didn't have anything that he needed done, he didn't have any supplies that he needed to pick up, and he didn't feel like hanging around The Kip, so he set out into Ditchwater proper to explore. Wandering down streets, avoiding vendor stalls (though, not able to avoid his eyes catching various pieces of equipment that he'd like), he managed to wander into what could be considered the cheaper part of town.

    There various vendors also had setup shop, but in a much more temporary manner. It was also there that he saw someone he didn't think he would ever see again. There in the middle of the square, hunched over an anvil as he worked on shoes for a horse that was tethered nearby, was the old blacksmith of Rum River, Thamas. Ajax hurried forward, eager to talk to someone who had spent as much time in Rum River as he had himself, curious about the state of the town.

    "Thamas?" The Weaponmaster paused as the blacksmith stood. "Thamas, what are you doing here? Why did you leave Rum River?"

    --
    Basically Ajax is staying out of the way, and specifically...not wasting any time! So, figured he'd check up on some old friends....

    Also, sorry I hadn't replied, I didn't want Ajax to be in the way, so hadn't come up with a "what is he doing" yet.

    AustinP0027 on
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    The blacksmith starts at the mention of his name, Ajax. Then he rapidly examines you. Good, none of their marks, he says. Didn't figure you'd join up with the Column, but these days what's to be sure of?

    He talks in between jobs, pulling... well, for conceptual consistency, let's call them "horseshoes" off a board in bizarre permutations. He takes the most time carefully affixing what look like sequins to a pixie's spider mount.

    Have you ever spent a whole month making left gauntlets? he asks. Not even pairs. Just the left ones. All the smiths were, apprentices on up. Originally we figured it was just some fancy way to humiliate us and they'd melt them all down, but no. A loaded cart full of left gauntlets went out through a planar gate and they set us to making more of them.

    If it was just a way to freak us out, says Thamas, well, congratulations, it worked on this smith. Everyone worked together to give him a chance to get away, figuring he'd be the least likely to escape later if the Column cared to put them under heavier guard. He hasn't gone back since then. Hasn't seen any other smith from the River either, but maybe they've just fled elsewhere in the city.

    ---

    tags: @AustinP0027

  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    --

    A plucky clockwork sidekick sounds like a great idea to Glory. He'll bring one along, unless other people in the party talk him out of it.

    BoozerAustinP0027
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    --

    I still think it's worth taking the extra time to sell the spindle at 130% and the marker at 100% and buy two sets of strips with a magical bonus effect, even though my failure didn't save us any time.

    I also believe Grog mentioned being up for the Jouret sidequest to save us 1 time.

    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    wildwood
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    --
    Yeah I'll take a task from Jouret. Been mulling over the question to ask, think I'd go with "What is the Stygian Conqueror's fate?" since that countdown ticked earlier on has me wondering.

    6TEhEQr.jpg?1
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Well then, Glory. You've got your budget, so let me know exactly what you've bought and I'll let you know what's special about it.

    ---

    Koba, the local and heavily fortified bastion of the Last Gatesman is headed up by a woman named Priyala the Sun. Well, maybe not headed up. She's the liaison to Imscatha Tor and everyone calls her "Queenie", but it might be a joke or it might be disrespect, and either way she doesn't give out a lot in the way of orders.

    She has... a rock for you from Jouret, Bride of Stone. It's not an impressive rock to throw at a chiropteran-themed vigilante or anything, but it is 3-weight. Jouret wants you to send that rock into the depths of Tyranthis Far and watch it sink as long as you can. It's probably a burial custom the Last Gatesmen promise more than they can deliver? I mean, you've seen the sea of chaos outside Ditchwater straight-up dissolve rocks on occasion.

    Along with the rock comes a sea chart of the land and water near the Shoal Fortress, with a few likely places marked where you could let the rock sink.

    When you ask her the question about the Stygian Conqueror she hands you the flask she's been drinking from while she fishes in the cabinets to set some paraphernalia up on her worktable. You may or may not take a sniff of the flask - something pungent and spiced without much hint of alcohol - but when she's done you hand her back the flask, and she looks you in the eye, sweeps everything off the worktable, and tips the flask back to empty it.

    And she talks in the voice of... well, once of your ancestors. They're dead, and known to be dead, and you may not have ever met them personally but it is unmistakably their voice. Why don't you tell me who it is and how you know, Koba, while I tell you this?

    I mean, it's probably not anything you haven't suspected. As clean as your getaway was and as little as anyone may suspect you or where you have fled, the suit is gone. And because it was a prototype, there are things it does that, if you know what you're looking for, you can try to home in on. And the people who built the suit know what they're looking for.

    What is the fate of the Stygian Conqueror? To come home. Or at least get found by people who want to take it home. What you do then is up to you.

    Priyala caps her flask and her voice goes back to normal. Now, maybe if the Last Gatesmen felt charitably disposed of you, and you to them, she says, they could take a look at that suit and work out a way to put some dampeners on it? But even that wouldn't last forever. There are, she says, no secrets, if you're willing to wait long enough.

    ---

    Xeno, I believe you're owed a little wander in Havenglen Grove.

    It's not really as personally meaningful as Glory's visit to Octagonia, but lemme spit some scenery at you at least. The Grove itself is kept growing mostly by sunstones set in some of the larger apparently-dead trees. Not the gems. Or... maybe the gems? But also enchanted to contain something that isn't entirely sunlight but has what plants crave anyway.

    The Grove is a welcoming place, or at least people there care enough to make it pleasant for themselves to walk through. ...or maybe it's all just there to mask the unpleasant side-effects of experiments, you think as you watch a greasy plume of smoke coil into the sky but still smell only trees and flowers.

    Anyway, in all your casual wandering you don't come across a private residence. Inns and other public houses, sure, but other than that it's all shops. Probably they're just screened from public wandering somehow.

    You come across one place that you just have to make a note of to come back later. You could tell me what it is and something about its proprietor, if you'd like.

    ---

    @Grog @Boozer @AustinP0027 @wildwood

    Grog
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    --

    Everybody - you would have given Glory a shopping list, with the money to cover it, right? What was he supposed to get? 1-weight of breath strips for everyone? Anything else, like healing potions, or mage-y stuff? How much do we have the cash for? (We sell the spinel at 125% when we take the extra time, too.)

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 16
    --

    Damn, looking back at the prices now I realize I had the values backwards in my head. I thought the spinel was worth 130 and the marker was worth 70. It's actually the other way around, the marker is worth 130 and the spinel is worth 70. It would've been smarter to shop in Ditchwater first instead of Havenglen Grove, my intention was to at least try to sell the 130 coin item for 125% first.
    My apologies, I assume we can't retcon it? @Glazius

    Here's the shopping list. Assuming we're stuck with Havenglen:
    Sell the light spinel (worth 70 coin) at 125% = 87 coin (rounding down)
    Sell the marker (worth 130 coin) at 100% = 130 coin
    Buy two sets of magic strips total, (1-weight, 5 uses, 75 coin) at 100% wtih bonus magic effect = 150 coin
    coin left over = 67

    If we could retcon it given we had the values backwards:
    Sell the light spinel (worth 70 coin) for 100% = 70 coin
    Sell the marker (worth 130 coin) for 125% = 162 coin (rounding down)
    Buy two sets of chemical strips total, (1-weight, 5 uses, 75 coin) at 75% = 112 coin (rounding down)
    coin left over - 120 + plus one rumor for spending 100 coin

    Ugh, bigger difference than I would've expected, sorry for the mixup folks.
    So either way we buy and sell the same things, selling first to give us the money for the strips. I believe potions are worth 50 so I don't think we buy any either way.


    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    Well, you all do have about 40 coin each (what was it, another 38 exactly?) in petty cash. You could pool that for a couple of healing potions or some antitoxins, to be handed out as needed. (Antitoxins are starting wizard equipment and would be at least a little magical in Havenglen Grove.)

    ---

    Ultimately, @Boozer, it's up to you, in kind of a metagame sense. I didn't draw up this whole menu of options with the intent of creating an obviously shitty choice to waste your money, so I don't want you to walk away thinking you got ripped off.

    It isn't actually as bad as you've made it out to be, either. You get one in Ditchwater - either the discount or the rumor - not both. But you can call backsies right now if you'd like and if needed I'll gin up a rumor for Glory, or you can play things as they lie.

    Glazius on
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    --

    So my vote is selling at Ditchwater, only buying strips, take the discount, no rumor.

    But if other folks prefer going with Havenglen and buying potions or antitoxins that's cool. Might be nice for everyone to have a stash of a potion and and some anti toxins.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    Grog
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Tell you what, how about everybody weighs in on this so I can set you up some other stuff. Everybody say:

    - what shop you want to visit (Havenglen Magic, Ditchwater Rumor, or Ditchwater Cheap)
    - how much of a potential 70-coin share you want to keep for yourself, to spend in Tyranthis Far or wherever else

    Majority wins the shop vote. In the event of a tie Geth will flip a coin.
    All contributed coin will be used to purchase (50-coin) healing potions. Leftovers go to (10-coin) antitoxins. Leftovers from that go back to you.

    ---

    If I'm reading @Boozer right he's visiting Ditchwater Cheap and keeping all 70 coin?

    tags: @wildwood @Grog @AustinP0027

    Boozer
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    --
    Ditchwater cheap, the strips are the important bit. Happy to give up however much of my share, Koba isn't particularly concerned with wealth.

    6TEhEQr.jpg?1
  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    --

    @Glazius had my vote correct, but I don't actually have the 38 coin from before I have 22 because I bought 3 sets of bandages earlier in Ashcrowne (I assumed they were available, sorry if that was wrong).

    So that would leave me with 52 coin, not buying anything but his share of the strips. I still have anti toxin from starting gear and can heal now thanks to my level 3 move.

    Xeno would help out a member of the group who was short a bit, but would like to hang on to his coin so he could hit the tables again with a better bankroll, not to mention keeping themselves square with room and board.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    --
    Ditchwater cheap as well.

    Same as Koba, Ajax would contribute all his share. Though mostly because it would go to healing pots. Wouldn't be as willing if he felt it might be wasting money.

  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Cool. Looks like 140 in the kitty so far and you're locked into deep discounts. (Those don't apply to healing potions but will apply to antitoxins, so you're getting two healing potions and five antitoxins before whatever Glory chips in.)

    ---

    tags: @wildwood

  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    --

    Glory needs about 5 coins to replenish his carrying-around money, but the rest he'll put into the group shopping fund. So that's... 33 more coin in the kitty?

    Ditchwater shopping sounds fine instead of Havenglen.

  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Alright then. 3 healing potions, 3 antitoxins, divvy them up as you want, and two 5-packs of breath strips.

    Thus supplied, you head through the portal to the Shoal Fortress island in Tyranthis Far. It's located down a back alley of Ditchwater proper, not really hard to get to and sees some regular use, so someone want to volunteer what it looks like and how you activate it, just for flavor?

    There are basically four notable features to this island:

    - the fairly large and palatial southeastern town, Razorspire, which features some coral and bone ornamentation on some of its larger buildings
    - the Shoal Fortress itself
    - the unnamed and centrally located military depot
    - the northeastern trade town, Gates' Crossing, which you've arrived in .

    And a lack of one other notable feature... basically any kind of foliage cover. Whatever soil might exist on Tyranthis Far is super, super salty, and can't support much in the way of your towering trees. There's a difference between 'roads' and 'wild land', mostly in terms of small, colorful succulents.

    So! Where are you planning to go?

    ---

    tags: @Grog @wildwood @AustinP0027 @Boozer

  • BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    --

    Cool, so I would suggest we give one potion and and one antitoxin to everyone but Xeno the cheapo. So that means Glory has 35coin (new 30 coin share from selling +5 saved) total and Xeno has 52 coin (new 30 coin share plus 22 saved) total. Ajax and Koba donated it all.

    The Tyranthis Alley portal looks like your atypical Ditchwater alley, except for the higher than normal amount of foot traffic, and a set of megafauna bone steps that lead down into the portal, a deep well of clean dark blue saltwater. The portal is activated by a scrimshaw carved coin made of a chip of megafauna bone. Only first time visitors to Tyranthis Far need the scrimshaw coin (which are easy to obtain by the alley), repeat visitors merely need to think of Tyranthis Far when they throw any kind of coin into the well.

    I believe the suggestion was that a good place to start is to find some military supply depot near the Shoal Fortress and figure out what they are/were storing, in order to figure out how the military handles its provisioning, in order to get "our mutual friends" to not interfere with us. So that would be my vote, head to the military depot first.

    Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    wildwood
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    It's all well and good to say "investigate the military depot". But in order to do that you'd need to get inside somehow, which means... well, it can mean a lot of things. There are guards around the place, and there might or might not be other security measures as well. And you, as just some random freebooters, have no good reason to look inside.

    Now, the guards might be in on "your mutual friends" plan or they might not. And main force is an option, of course, but there are other ways. Stealth. Faking some kind of credentials. Actually getting some kind of credentials. Creating some kind of distraction to help with any of the above. Ideally you want to get this information without alerting the conspirators.

    So, you can Discern Realities about the depot, if you'd like. Or you can look into some plan to get in there, whatever that entails?

    Here's a question for Glory that might be relevant. Have you been to Gates' Crossing or Razorspire before?

    ---

    tags: @Boozer @Grog @AustinP0027 @wildwood

  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Logically, Glory must have been through Gates' Crossing at some point, but it's Razorspire that he really remembered. He was fascinated by the coral-and-bone statues, the living materials carved into a still shape.

    Some of the statue/monuments were meant to be climbed, and served as a rostrum for official announcements and occasional performances. While he was there, Glory fell in with a group of artists who enjoyed climbing statues in public squares, putting on some kind of avant-garde storytelling performance, and then high-tailing it before the police came to chase them off.

    Who from that old crew would still be around, though...

    --

    Geth roll 2d6+2 for A Lover in Every Port

    A Lover in Every Port:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=2, 2]

Sign In or Register to comment.