As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do [Black Lives Matter]? The answer may surprise you!

1787980818284»

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'm really amused by the people claiming that there's a double standard about black-on-white crimes as opposed to the reverse, namely vague claims that more would be going on.

Disregarding the fact that this is all over the news, the assailants have already been arrested and charged. Compare that to the timeline of basically any police murder of an unarmed black man, or the sexual assault of that black teen in Idaho.

The moral myopia of these creatures is astounding.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I'm really amused by the people claiming that there's a double standard about black-on-white crimes as opposed to the reverse, namely vague claims that more would be going on.

Disregarding the fact that this is all over the news, the assailants have already been arrested and charged. Compare that to the timeline of basically any police murder of an unarmed black man, or the sexual assault of that black teen in Idaho.

The moral myopia of these creatures is astounding.

Or the guy in Louisiana who shot Joe McKnight 3 times in traffic and the police were all "yeah, sure, go home, whatever, it's cool man. I'm sure everything was legit." Then, after they caught a ton of shit, went and arrested the guy. I have a very hard time believing that had it been the other way around (black guy shooting the white guy) McKnight would've been sent home while the police looked into things.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The real disappointing this is that young people, black and white, carry out these sort of things all the time, like that one monster in South Carolina.

But this time it was public and had a political spin and suddenly people are up in arms.

??

People were up in arms when South Carolina happened, too.
    u18q6fmbx96m.jpg

I was not talking about the terrorist attack at the church, I was talking about the kidnapping and hostage taking.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/body-found-south-carolina-home-captive-woman-rescued-article-1.2858562

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    The real disappointing this is that young people, black and white, carry out these sort of things all the time, like that one monster in South Carolina.

But this time it was public and had a political spin and suddenly people are up in arms.

The fact that it was public is a very important part. That takes it from a hate crime motivated by personal gratification to a hate crime motivated meant to send a message. That message is furious anger at society.

Nobeard wrote: »

The fact that it was public is a very important part. That takes it from a hate crime motivated by personal gratification to a hate crime motivated meant to send a message. That message is furious anger at society.

I understand the logic, but in the shadow of worldstarhiphop constantly showing young African American men like my little brother being the victim of violence, I see the public nature of it being personal gratification.

An escalation of sorts for more web hits.

I understand the logic, but in the shadow of worldstarhiphop constantly showing young African American men like my little brother being the victim of violence, I see the public nature of it being personal gratification.

I have no idea what this is. I'm not being facetious, I'm truly ignorant here. What is it?

I have no idea what this is. I'm not being facetious, I'm truly ignorant here. What is it?

World star hip hop is an African American focused aggregator that has risen to infamy for hosting whatever comes their way, violence mostly.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    TL;DR: Contrary to popular opinion, you can actually be racist against your own race. (Just like you can be sexist against your own sex, which seems a fair bit more obvious and intuitive to people.)

When people say, "But I'm <X> so I can say these things about <X>," half the time it's sarcastic and half the time it's what's being parodied.

I've got family siding with neonazis who normally target them. Some of them lie about what their legal names are, to fit in. Not even a real namechange.

World star hip hop is an African American focused aggregator that has risen to infamy for hosting whatever comes their way, violence mostly.

[old]
    I still don't quite get what it is. What is an aggregator? Is it something like Reddit or Stumbleupon?
    [/old]

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

[old]
    I still don't quite get what it is. What is an aggregator? Is it something like Reddit or Stumbleupon?
    [/old]

It's like Entensity or Dailymotion, which are just sites that people submit random videos to in hopes they'll get clicks. The difference is that World Star is notorious for being full of fight videos, to the point that people will jokingly and seriously shout "World Star!" at fights for a few seconds of internet fame.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

[old]
    [/old]

And aggregator is a website that takes videos or links to websites, categorizes them, then presents them to you in a list. Sometimes with comments, sometimes without them. Drudge, ifuckinglovescience, and ebaum are a few off the top of my head.

The key thing is that they don't create any content, they just link you to content other people made.

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    So it's like ebaums without the theft!

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So it's like ebaums without the theft!

Well, there's still aggregators that strip the videos all or nearly all mention of their origin, then repost them for sweet sweet clicks. That never went away.

Got worse, really.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    if anyone was curious about right-wing economist Tyler Cowen's opinion on BLM he finally told: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2017/01/black-lives-matter.html

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    if anyone was curious about right-wing economist Tyler Cowen's opinion on BLM he finally told: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2017/01/black-lives-matter.html

Just don't read the comments.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Even if I mostly disagree with someone, I can have at least some respect for their opinions if they show some logical consistency, some sign that they put a bit of thought into it. Like, "I'm against abortion, but I support increasing funding to help mothers with childcare/I am also against the death penalty/I adopted like eight kids." Something like that. Or some conservatives I have read about who supported gay marriage because they were advocates of the strong family unit as a basis of society and gay couples and their children should also have that for themselves and to continue to strengthen society with more family units. Breaking ranks when the ranks are contradictory and monolithic also takes a bit of moral courage. Good on Cowen.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Even if I mostly disagree with someone, I can have at least some respect for their opinions if they show some logical consistency, some sign that they put a bit of thought into it. Like, "I'm against abortion, but I support increasing funding to help mothers with childcare/I am also against the death penalty/I adopted like eight kids." Something like that. Or some conservatives I have read about who supported gay marriage because they were advocates of the strong family unit as a basis of society and gay couples and their children should also have that for themselves and to continue to strengthen society with more family units. Breaking ranks when the ranks are contradictory and monolithic also takes a bit of moral courage. Good on Cowen.

Pretty much. Show me that you have principles beyond mere misogyny/bigotry/fuck-you-got-mine economics and we can at least have a conversation instead of spouting warmed-over Fox talking points with nothing to back it up.

Holy shit! Logic! Its a fine specimen

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Well here’s something you don’t ever expect: a police officer actually going to jail for killing an unarmed black man
    The former South Carolina police officer who shot and killed Walter Scott, an unarmed black man, following a traffic stop was sentenced Thursday to 20 years behind bars in a federal case stemming from the shooting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/12/07/former-south-carolina-police-officer-who-shot-walter-scott-sentenced-to-20-years/