As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What what in the butt

Baby I'm gonna get super rude on that ass

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hunch, hunch!
    What, what!
    Buh boh!

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The-Northern-Cardinal-Bird.jpg

Cardinals keep West Nile Virus at bay.

Some species and people are super-spreaders, where their being infected with something makes a lot of others get infected with the same ailment. Northern cardinals (and to a lesser extent, mockingbirds and brown thrashers) are the opposite for West Nile Virus - they are super-suppressors, and having large populations of cardinals around significantly reduces the number of West Nile Virus transmissions in humans. Atlanta's WNV rate is 20% that of Chicago's despite having just as many if not more mosquitoes. One thing that Atlanta has done well is maintain its tree canopy, and it does have large, surprisingly healthy tracks of urban forest. The good habitat promotes healthy bird populations which is now keeping people healthier.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7OGZpVbI6I

a meteor was discovered in Argentina

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

I'm curious if there's any noticeable crater in the local terrain because that seems like a really shallow depth to find such a large meteorite.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    This is probably a dumb science question but. I've been reading up on how things dissipate heat, and I know they do it by a possible combination of Conduction, Convection, and Radiation. And I understand why Conduction and Convection work (excited atoms bump into other excited atoms, exciting them).

I don't get why heat radiation happens. I know that everything with a temperature greater than 0 kelvin emits radiation, and I know that hot objects emit more radiation than cold objects. But most of the information I am finding is going into the mechanics and the interactions and not really why objects radiate heat in the first place.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    This is probably a dumb science question but. I've been reading up on how things dissipate heat, and I know they do it by a possible combination of Conduction, Convection, and Radiation. And I understand why Conduction and Convection work (excited atoms bump into other excited atoms, exciting them).

I don't get why heat radiation happens. I know that everything with a temperature greater than 0 kelvin emits radiation, and I know that hot objects emit more radiation than cold objects. But most of the information I am finding is going into the mechanics and the interactions and not really why objects radiate heat in the first place.

My understanding is that heat radiation is an object ejecting photons at a wavelength that corresponds to the temperature of the object. That's why we, with the assistance of our wonderful science and the tool's it's given us, can see an objects thermal radiation.

Edit: It's why black objects absorb heat radiation better than white objects, since the black object reflects very few photons while white objects reflect a lot of the photons that hit it.

Veevee on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Xehalus wrote: »

I'm curious if there's any noticeable crater in the local terrain because that seems like a really shallow depth to find such a large meteorite.

I believe this is the wiki for that meteorite, Gancedo, which is part of a group of meteors known as Campo del Cielo and is the second largest meteorite known
    The Campo del Cielo refers to a group of iron meteorites or to the area where they were found. This area is situated on the border between the provinces of Chaco and Santiago del Estero, 1,000 kilometers (620 mi) northwest of Buenos Aires, Argentina. The crater field covers an area of 3×18.5 kilometers and contains at least 26 craters, the largest being 115×91 meters. The craters' age is estimated as 4,000–5,000 years. The craters, containing iron masses, were reported in 1576, but were already well known to the aboriginal inhabitants of the area. The craters and the area around contain numerous fragments of an iron meteorite. The total weight of the pieces so far recovered exceeds 100 tonnes, making the meteorite the heaviest one ever recovered on Earth. The largest fragment, consisting of 37 tonnes, is the second heaviest single-piece meteorite recovered on Earth, after the Hoba meteorite.

The largest single-piece meteorite, the Hoba meteorite is estimated at 60 tonnes, is a 9'x9'x3' slab of iron and nickel and is thought to have skipped across the atmosphere and hit the earth at terminal velocity of only about 320m/s (Just under the speed of sound at sea level), down from an estimated 10km/s when it encountered Earth, which is thought to have kept it in tact and leaving no crater.

27lz7h3od8jh.jpg

Veevee on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Noooo, it's fiiiine.

I WANTED garbage and piss bags.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Noooo, it's fiiiine.

Hey, just because they walked all over your face doesn't make it okay to give Neil and Buzz shitty nicknames.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Didn't we give you a flag and a car? Let's see Pluto top that!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

That would be the second law of thermodynamics at work.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Noooo, it's fiiiine.

We know it's inevitable. Someone will want to test those things and in the next 30 years there will be an X-Prize to go get them.

Also the "red cap" Charon gets from Pluto is methane so...

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The fact that none of Pluto's moons are named Proserpina is deeply frustrating to me

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

That would be the second law of thermodynamics at work.

If I remember correctly, the light mostly comes from electrons bouncing to lower energy states, thus releasing a photon in the process

There are excited states and a ground state, the second law of thermodynamics basically describes that systems will evolve towards the ground state

• Options
    edited September 2016
    When an electron releases a photon, this can be loosely described as a form of decay

Except the result is not two or more "new" particles, but an electron in a lower energy state and a photon which carries away energy from the electron

Platy on
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The fact that none of Pluto's moons are named Proserpina is deeply frustrating to me

It's been suggested as a name for the theorized planet beyond Pluto.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I mean, she's great enough that she deserves it, although I'd probably pick another member of the 12, personally

Really I think that astronomers have entirely dropped the ball on these Roman mythology planet names and the whole system should be fixed

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    All thermal radiation is light. When you heat tungsten up to a couple thousand degrees (C or F, take your pick), it glows in the visual spectrum, and makes a good light bulb. When you turn the light off and it cools down to room temperature, it's still glowing, but in wavelengths too long for the human eye to perceive. All objects warmer than absolute zero are glowing, all the time.

The reason they glow is because when an atom absorbs energy, by colliding with a higher-energy atom or absorbing a photon from the sun or an electron from a light socket, that energy kicks the atom up into an excited state. One or more of its electrons will get kicked up into a higher orbit, which allows the atom to contain more energy. However, this is an unstable system, and the more excited an atom is (the more empty spaces it has in lower orbits and the more electrons it has in higher orbits) the more likely it is to transfer some of that energy elsewhere. Some of that energy will be transferred into other atoms by conduction, but some of it will be blasted out into empty space in the form of a photon. When you've got a bunch of atoms all blasting photons into space to try and get to lower energy levels, you get that infrared glow, and thus thermal radiation.

I hope that helps, because that's about the last level of why before things get too wibbly wobbly timey wimey for me to comprehend and it all just turns into math.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

I mean, she's great enough that she deserves it, although I'd probably pick another member of the 12, personally

Really I think that astronomers have entirely dropped the ball on these Roman mythology planet names and the whole system should be fixed

I prefer that they keep it more open. I especially like the naming conventions for planetary features.
    Like how features on Venus need to be named after a goddess and the type of goddess they're named after is based on the type of feature, but they're open to goddesses of any culture.
    Ganymede is largely devoted to names relating to the fertile crescent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_nomenclature

• Options

I prefer that they keep it more open. I especially like the naming conventions for planetary features.
    Like how features on Venus need to be named after a goddess and the type of goddess they're named after is based on the type of feature, but they're open to goddesses of any culture.
    Ganymede is largely devoted to names relating to the fertile crescent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_nomenclature

I mean, that sort of stuff seems fine in theory, but it's a weird mish-mosh in practice

Like, why is Ganymede associated with the fertile crescent? He was a Trojan soldier, he has no connection there

Why are all the moons of Uranus (and their features) Shakespeare characters? There's no connection there, or at least not one made evident

Obviously some of this is due to the unplanned nature of discovery, so we didn't know exactly how many moons we would have for each planet or whatever, and previously assigned categories might not actually be broad enough in practice due to these discoveries

• Options
    Why are all the moons of Uranus (and their features) Shakespeare characters? There's no connection there, or at least not one made evident

If I were to hazard a guess, probably out of some feeling of British "patriotism"

Uranus was originally supposed to be named "George's Star" after George III

• Options

If I were to hazard a guess, probably out of some feeling of British "patriotism"

I think it still is.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Well, we've got an asteroid named Sylvia with two moons named Romulus and Remus, so that's pretty fun.

Plus, they're expanding the pantheon beyond Rome these days. One of Mark "Pluto Had It Coming" Brown's dwarf planets is named Haumea after a Hawaiian goddess.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, we've got an asteroid named Sylvia with two moons named Romulus and Remus, so that's pretty fun.

Plus, they're expanding the pantheon beyond Rome these days. One of Mark "Pluto Had It Coming" Brown's dwarf planets is named Haumea after a Hawaiian goddess.

That's cause Kuiper Belt objects are named after creation gods.

• Options

I think it still is.

"Name that one 'George's Star'."

"Absolutely, my liege.

...you mean uranus, right?"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    It looks kinda like Bizarro Quinn.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @Blankzilla
    No feathers!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Look at its tail.

• Options
    Those are clearly not feathers yet, although could be headed in that direction.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Mike Brown has such a hard-on about "killing" Pluto, and he's so smug about it. I almost don't want to agree with him.

And literally every day I get people asking me "Why isn't Pluto a planet anymore?" "Well that's not what I learned growing up."

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    2OXu3OE.png

i wonder what those are for

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The articles I could find are frustratingly scare with details about the plume. However, I have learned that it was fossilized while pooping! (post death poops, sadly)
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/09/dinosaur-camouflage-fossil-find/

The plume looks better on the fossil. It starts and ends suddenly on the artistic drawing, while the fossil version appears to taper down towards the end of the tail. Although, I guess it doesn't actually do that, otherwise that's what the scientists would have done with the model.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    2OXu3OE.png

i wonder what those are for

Basic assumption for ornamentation of no apparent utility is "sexytimes."

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    No feathers!
    Those are clearly not feathers yet, although could be headed in that direction.

Actually that fossil is currently the strongest piece of evidence that all clades of dinosaur had the ability to produce basic feather-like structures on their body

Because the animal comes from a clade which lies opposite to other known "feathered" dinosaurs and the bristles have been identified as being homologous with feathers

It is likely the first dinosaur (ancestral to all other dinosaurs) was covered in some sort of fuzz

Platy on
This discussion has been closed.