As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    How much of this is just a weird intersection between secret military launches and a company that lives and dies via publicity?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    How much of this is just a weird intersection between secret military launches and a company that lives and dies via publicity?

Because their paths have to be clear, anything in LEO is heavily tracked by non-governmental organizations around the world, and they can't hide a space launch, where secret government satellites are in space and when they're launched is not a secret. The secret part is their capability and purpose.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Is it so secret that they are telling us it's failed when it actually hasn't?

There wouldn't really be a purpose for deception like this. Satellites are impossible to hide once they're in orbit, and "stealth" just doesn't work up there. There's already an amateur community of satellite trackers who easily define new orbiting objects, even classified ones, with simple telescopes (to say nothing of national military tracking capabilities).

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    unless they've finally reverse engineered the cloaking technology that they found at Roswell, of course

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Of course, there is the Lacrosse 5 spy sattelite that just drops in brightness suddenly and without warning to become nearly invisible to the human eye and we don't know why or how.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the best stealth tech is make it look like another satellite

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Well first it has to kill and eat the satellite it's pretending to be. Otherwise it would be obvious by finding which satellite there's two of.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    For the first time in 150 years:

Get ready for the

super blue blood moon eclipse

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The moon's running out of ideas to get people to pay attention to it huh.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I'm also not sure where they got the "billion dollars" analysis from - nobody knows what's on the satellite, or the details of the deal between SpaceX and Northrop Gundam

this makes the prospect of a lost payload a million times worse

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Get ready for the

Boo, it's all separate days and not one big megaevent to really stoke the doomsday fires.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Get ready for the

Boo, it's all separate days and not one big megaevent to really stoke the doomsday fires.

World in 2012: "Not the end of the world! Oh god no!"

World in 2018: "Just get on with the doomsday already jesus christ we're sick of waiting"

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    3clipse wrote: »

Get ready for the

World in 2018: "Just get on with the doomsday already jesus christ we're sick of waiting"

Perhaps the world did end in 2012, we're all dead, and this is hell.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

Get ready for the

Perhaps the world did end in 2012, we're all dead, and this is hell.

we can only hope.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Grand Canyon time lapse records rare cloud inversion
    https://www.dpreview.com/videos/4092876802/grand-canyon-time-lapse-records-rare-cloud-inversion

Neat!

We get it, Grand Canyon, you vape.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Get ready for the

Ah yes, the Super Moon God Super Moon

aka Super Moon Blue

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Super Kami Guru?

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    ZEYjHUK.png

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/YKzxmeABbkU
    A new visualization provides an exceptional virtual trip – complete with a 360-degree view – to the center of our home galaxy, the Milky Way. This project, made using data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and other telescopes, allows viewers to control their own exploration of the fascinating environment of volatile giant stars and powerful gravity around the monster black hole that lies in the center of the Milky Way.

This visualization builds on infrared data with the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope of 30 massive stellar giants called Wolf-Rayet stars that orbit within about 1.5 light years of the center of our Galaxy. Powerful winds of gas streaming from the surface of these stars are carrying some of their outer layers into interstellar space.

The Galactic Center visualization is a 360-degree movie that immerses a viewer into a simulation of the center of our Galaxy. The viewer is at the location of Sgr A* and is able to see about 20 Wolf-Rayet stars (white, twinkling objects) orbiting Sgr A* as they continuously eject stellar winds (black to red to yellow color scale). These winds collide with each other, and then some of this material spirals towards Sgr A*. The movie, which starts 350 years in the past, spans 500 years.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The galaxy is haunted. Got it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Prettier eyes though

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Marine biology: Because your nightmares weren't realistic enough.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    It's kind of got a Goblin Shark thing going on. That's pretty neat.

• Options
    I assume everyone is following this guy https://twitter.com/rfedortsov

He tweets pictures of weird stuff he fishes up from the deep sea.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Why on earth would you assume that?

• Options
    Pave the ocean over.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Pave the ocean over.

Well, China and the UAE are working on it a little at a time.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Pave the ocean over.

Counter point, shoot Jedoc into space where the mean ol’ Ocean can’t get him.

Don’t get me wrong, I am deeply terrified by the Deep, but I’m not about to knock deep sea life just because the very thought of it haunts even my waking moments with border-line eldritch terror.

• Options
    This is also acceptable.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Why on earth would you assume that?

Because it's so cool!

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Xehalus on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    trying to figure out what part of the world that is just based on the shapes of the coasts, and I can't do it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    kind of looks like mexico/yucatan

Though that lake at the top could be a great lake and that might be central US

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Definitely looks like Mexico but it's hard to say without a wider FoV.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, how did I not know about this satellite?

https://lageos.cddis.eosdis.nasa.gov/

It's orbit will decay in 8 million years, and it will fall to earth with a message to whoever is here

Fuck

• Options
    "Duck."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Have they already worked out where it would land?

This discussion has been closed.