As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I've pretty much reconciled with being a shaved head guy

but sure, if I could regrow my hair, yeah, I might be interested

holding on to what I've got left isn't worth my attention, at this point I'd be more interested in getting rid of all of that instead

Yeah I like my hair, I think it has a cool texture and body to it, but also I'm not going to bother with rogaine or anything to try to keep it and once the bit I have in the front is fully gone I'm just gonna shave it all.

I don't like the texture of my hair and it never does what I want it to do, but it's thick and going silver really fast and that looks amazing. If my dad and grandad are any indication I'll keep a full head of thick hair all my life so that's nice

I've had Jon Stewart silver wings since 25. I need to get a haircut because they're getting swallowed up in thick brown hair, undermining my inherent authority.

I ain't got much going for me, but my hair is getting shit done.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    For me the problem is mainly that the baldness is cutting a path straight through the middle. So it's going to eventually either be full shave or that ridiculousness.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

holding on to what I've got left isn't worth my attention, at this point I'd be more interested in getting rid of all of that instead

Yeah I like my hair, I think it has a cool texture and body to it, but also I'm not going to bother with rogaine or anything to try to keep it and once the bit I have in the front is fully gone I'm just gonna shave it all.

I don't like the texture of my hair and it never does what I want it to do, but it's thick and going silver really fast and that looks amazing. If my dad and grandad are any indication I'll keep a full head of thick hair all my life so that's nice

I've had Jon Stewart silver wings since 25. I need to get a haircut because they're getting swallowed up in thick brown hair, undermining my inherent authority.

I got the wings as well, but a lot of the rest of it is going silver too. I don't get carded for alcohol anymore, despite still looking young otherwise (I think, anyway)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

Unless something had changed since I was last taught about it, which is entirely possible cause I've been out of college for a while, unfortunately your dad and his dad don't have much impact on the issue. You need to be looking at your mom's dad instead.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    That's the way I remember it working, too.

• Options
    Unfortunately I've never seen her dad and she doesn't have any pictures of him. She never saw him after a certain age so she doesn't know how he aged either.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    For me the problem is mainly that the baldness is cutting a path straight through the middle. So it's going to eventually either be full shave or that ridiculousness.

Ah yes the inverse mohawk

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    re: genetics, classic male pattern baldness is x linked but there are many, many types of baldness and plenty of them are found on the autosomes.

The most common denominator seems to be high testosterone though so that's cool.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    re: genetics, classic male pattern baldness is x linked but there are many, many types of baldness and plenty of them are found on the autosomes.

The most common denominator seems to be high testosterone though so that's cool.

So, eating broccoli makes you bald?

Damn

I like that stuff

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

So, eating broccoli makes you bald?

Damn

I like that stuff

I'm sorry?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Ever considered this haircut?

article-1318936062162-0e6c7d1b00000578-228917_423x650.jpg

Eyy!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    God, I had gorgeous hair; girls in high school and college would randomly walk up to me, run their hands through my wavy, chestnut locks and demand to know what kind of product I used.

"Ummm, it's green, it's a big bottle and it costs about five bucks."

"Okay, what about the conditioner?"

"Same, but it's blue. No wait, beige."

You could practically feel the rage, like the heat from a blast furnace.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

same

I'm only 32 and probably a few years out from just shaving it all off

which is a real shame because the hair that isn't thinning is still really thick and nice

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Dictator of the proletariat is still a dictatorship

~anyways~

That's why these days I'm really more of an anarchist, deep down

As Choking Victim once put it, no God, no Managers

Yeah but:
    Human beings in a mob/
    What's a mob to a king?/
    What's a king to a god?/
    What's a god to a non-believer?/
    Who don't believe in anything?

Kanye West, 2011.

Sigh

I miss when Yeezy was good

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know because of my genetic history I will go gray in my late 60's
    Because unlike my other brother whom takes after my father's family whom I have heard is nearly fully gray now
    I figured out what would happen to me upon hearing that rumor

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I'm old enough now that when washing my hair I will occasionally get a practically invisible hair twined around my fingers. Because based on my mother and her mother, whose hair I pretty much have, I'm not going to go grey, I'm going to go white.

I'm actually pretty happy about it, white hair is kinda awesome.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I'm old enough now that when washing my hair I will occasionally get a practically invisible hair twined around my fingers. Because based on my mother and her mother, whose hair I pretty much have, I'm not going to go grey, I'm going to go white.

My loose hairs shine like platinum. I've tried multiple times to get pictures of them but apparently it's pretty goddamn hard to show how shiny a single strand of hair is with a phone camera.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'd rather we were ready to stop him when he tries to do all of the bad shit that he's currently doing as opposed to some sci-fi nonsense

I'd rather we stop all of the CEO's from being shitty douche bags.

Pretty sure that the mentality needed to become a CEO practically guarantees that they are douche bags. You'll catch an exception here and there, but for the most part, it's amoral percent counters.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

I'm in the same boat, genetics-wise. My mom and her brothers all went thick white, and I found my first one at 21. Ten years later and it's working its way through my hair quickly. Honestly pretty pleased about that.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I was balding but for the last few years when I look into a mirror all I see is a grinning skull so that problem took care of itself

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »

This is such a good example of how evolution doesn't mean endpoints are optimal. These dudes avoided parasitism but as a result they're not attracting females but they're still using a hugely energy inefficient behavior because that part of their brain hasn't had time to be selected on yet.

God I miss doing evolution research. I know leaving the field was correct because I wanted to be able to choose where I live and to not spend the rest of my life perpetually freaking out about funding (because no one gives a shit about this stuff except evolutionary biologists and it's always the first science to get the axe), but I really loved working on it.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The sound of Ice is pretty cool

https://youtu.be/66a3_MGTDoA

Accoustic dispersion

It's also the effect that was used for the Star Wars Blaster sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7_zpyqCrU&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    1) that's so fucking cool

2) does that also explain house creaking and why sometimes it sounds weird as shit?

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I'd rather we were ready to stop him when he tries to do all of the bad shit that he's currently doing as opposed to some sci-fi nonsense

Pretty sure that the mentality needed to become a CEO practically guarantees that they are douche bags. You'll catch an exception here and there, but for the most part, it's amoral percent counters.

Can't find the article right now, but as workplaces become increasingly toxic, sociopaths rise to the top. It's the perfect environment for them; they thrive in toxicity under shitty bosses. Of course, when sociopaths become the bosses, everything becomes shittier and more toxic, and so it's a feedback loop so the only people who can become the bosses are monsters in human skin.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

Can't find the article right now, but as workplaces become increasingly toxic, sociopaths rise to the top. It's the perfect environment for them; they thrive in toxicity under shitty bosses. Of course, when sociopaths become the bosses, everything becomes shittier and more toxic, and so it's a feedback loop so the only people who can become the bosses are monsters in human skin.

Alternatively, humans evolved to better work in the environment they exist in.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This is an extremely cool bit of technology which is going to have a very wide set of applications:
    https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2018/01/single-metalens-focuses-all-colors-of-rainbow-in-one-point

@Cello you've been pressganged into optics in the past, you should enjoy this.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Call me when that is applicable for glasses, please.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    This is an extremely cool bit of technology which is going to have a very wide set of applications:
    https://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2018/01/single-metalens-focuses-all-colors-of-rainbow-in-one-point

@Cello you've been pressganged into optics in the past, you should enjoy this.

Whoa, this is really cool! Also Metalens is a...really good name for it

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I know its supposed to be like "meta lens" but i keep reading "metal lens" and imagining insane guitar solos happening when it does its light thing

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFuA50H9uek

Those robots are getting through the goddamn door, come hell or hockey sticks

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The good thing about Boston Dynamics is that they're training robots to hate Canadians and people from New England. As someone from the Llano Estacado, I am fine with this.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    There need to be some googly eyes on that arm/hand thing though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a rule about googly eyes at Boston Dynamics.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/tf7IEVTDjng

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/tf7IEVTDjng

That banana slip cracked me up pretty bad.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Let me know when they make the scutters from Red Dwarf. They also have to be able to flip us off.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I look forward to the day they can dampen the sound they make, so we don't just hear tons of whirring servos.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I look forward to the day they can dampen the sound they make, so we don't just hear tons of whirring servos.

just have them cover it up by constantly playing Daft Punk

This discussion has been closed.