As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I look forward to the day they can dampen the sound they make, so we don't just hear tons of whirring servos.

If it doesn't sound like Robocop stopping crime, what is even the point?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I look forward to the day they can dampen the sound they make, so we don't just hear tons of whirring servos.

The robot overlords would probably just find it easier to make it so humans have worse hearing and it doesn't bother them anymore.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Well, it's either that or the drone of a small internal combustion engine driving a pump for pneumatics or hydraulics...

Or t̷he̴y̡ ͏coul͡d͜ c̴͟͞ǫ̴v̴͠e̴r͏ ͜t̀͡h͘e̵͞ ͘͠i͘n̸̛̛té̶̶r̢͜͠nál҉ ẃ̧̢̕o͜r͟͏̧̛k̛i͟҉͝͏n͏̛g̢̧̨͝s͘͡ ̀͞҉̸́w̢҉i̧͘͟͝ţ̵h̢͝͠͠ ̡͢f̛͢͟͏ĺ̀́͡͞e͟ş͜҉̡h̶҉

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    l9kcm5t9u2b6.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh, I've seen that book. It's not bad!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My 5-year-old recently drew a picture full of blue wavy lines. When we asked him what it was, he said it was the sky, and the lines were all the air molecules.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oof. I realize nobody ever sets out to raise a string theorist, but I guess all you can do is love him for who he is.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the scene on ST: TNG with the eight year-old complaining about his algebra homework to his dad…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    My 5-year-old recently drew a picture full of blue wavy lines. When we asked him what it was, he said it was the sky, and the lines were all the air molecules.

My wife got an older solar system book because she is a Pluto supporter, and she gets mad whenever I read it to our daughter because I intentionally leave Pluto out.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Reminds me of the scene on ST: TNG with the eight year-old complaining about his algebra homework to his dad…

wasn't it calculus?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    That baby looks so high

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    That's just how everyone looks when being taught quantum mechanics.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So as an amateur enthusiast I've gone out of my way to see interesting and varied events in the nights sky; eclipses and conjunctions, supernovas and meteor showers, comets and just unique expeiences where I can find them. But there's still a few things I've been meaning to check off, so for the past few months I've been keeping an eye out for nearby Iridium Flares.

I've actually caught one or two before, completely by coincidence, but they were out-of-the-corner-of-my-eye things, and not bright and centered, but still, I wanted to see something that was 20 times brighter than Venus at its best passing above in a dark night sky. So I kept an eye out on the predictions, and while there were a few close possibilities, they were generally undone by poor timing or unfortunate cloud cover.

Until this past weekend.
    I had been keeping an eye on this one for a few weeks; Iridium Flares predictions are calculations based on observations, and over time they tend to move in slowly decreasing amounts as the final flare location is determined. But this one was predicted for Sunday, and the center of the flare radius was looking pretty good on a day the weather turned beautifully clear and cloudless for a beautiful late Summer farewell. As an added bonus the Moon wasn't rising until well after midnight, so there was a good chance the sky would be reasonably dark by 9pm, a pretty civilised hour to be out and about.

hWqzisf.jpg

Well, that doesn't look too bad. Pretty close to the center, so should be nicely properly bright.

F4o5TMk.jpg

Hmm. A bit far west though. I could hike up the trails to the old ridge fenceline, but that's a rough climb and I haven't been walking over there in a while so I'm not familiar with the condition of the trails at the moment. Maybe there's a park or something easier with some dark sky down near Johnsonville?

f4cJgQh.jpg

Oh.

So last night I shot over to my brothers around 8:45pm, watched the ISS pass over, sat in the backyard and talked shit and videogames for 20 minutes while adjusting my eyes to the dark and watched the stars come out, witnessed a couple shooting stars and a handful of satellites (plus an A320 jet) before a tiny dim little streak of light wandered across the sky and turned into the most ridiculously bright fuck-off spectacle I've ever seen. I'm not going to lie, I was properly impressed at how bright and shining a tiny panel the size of a small door 780km away could get in the night sky. A good reminder of how ridiculously bright the Sun actually is.

So yeah. That's another off my bucket list. I'll keep an eye out for future opportunities, but with Winter coming up again it might be next Summer before I start checking to see if there's any flares in the sky again on a regular basis. Still it was pretty easy to do and flares are pretty frequent, so hopefully the opportunity to repeat the experience is not hard as it was a a good excuse to sit outside and look at the stars and sky on a pleasant clear and warm evening.

If you want to see if there are any flares coming up near your location, the Heavens-Above website has you covered. Punch in your location, check the page for Iridium Flares, and scroll forward to check out what might be coming your way in the next couple months. A flare can be a few Km wide at the base, so you don't need to be directly under the middle of the pass, although finding a good darksky location not too far away will likely improve your viewing experience.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've tried searching for iridium flares with my kids before, but it's proven to be a lot more difficult than I originally thought. I haven't tried that website before, maybe I'll have better luck with it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    A website tracker is definitely the best way to do it (and ISS passes). They'll tell you exactly when and what direction to look in. And you can just wait for the absolute brightest ones.

• Options
    If this can be brought to commercial viability, it's gonna be AMAZING. Tesla batteries are cool and all, but they still depend on lithium-ion production - proton fuel cells are more sustainable, and potentially have a higher power density.

At the very least, it could revolutionise mobile robotics.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180307153947.htm
    Researchers from RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia have demonstrated for the first time a working rechargeable "proton battery" that could re-wire how we power our homes, vehicles and devices.

• Options
    Wow that would literally change how our electrical grid works too.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Looking forward to walking around with a proton pack

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    plus we'll finally be able to bust all these dang ghosts

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    plus we'll finally be able to bust all these dang ghosts

Finally?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The fact that the hydrogen is stored chemically bonded to carbon instead of as hydrogen gas (if I am understanding it correctly) is a really good feature

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    The fact that the hydrogen is stored chemically bonded to carbon instead of as hydrogen gas (if I am understanding it correctly) is a really good feature

They're split off from water, the carbon is an electrode, but yeah not using hydrogen diatoms == a++++

• Options
    It sounds like it's an open cell though?
    That on use, the hydrogen comes out and bonds to oxygen 'in the air'?
    I'm a little worried about what that means if the battery shorts.

• Options
    Probably nothing much worse than if your lithium ion battery shorts in your laptop.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    It sounds like it's an open cell though?
    That on use, the hydrogen comes out and bonds to oxygen 'in the air'?
    I'm a little worried about what that means if the battery shorts.

Can I interest you in a Note 7? Very cheap. Can't find anywhere else on the market.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Still, someone should short it to see what happens.
    And then make the video publicly viewable.
    Science!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Still, someone should short it to see what happens.
    And then make the video publicly viewable.
    Science!

Preferably with a high speed camera.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Oh thank christ this lunatic finally got called out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/03/14/theranos-chief-executive-elizabeth-holmes-charged-with-massive-fraud/

the strong odour of total bullshit was absolutely streaming off everything this woman did. The idiots 'venture capitalists' who gave her money should have their wealth redistributed for their own good, since they're clearly not able to distinguish their arse from a hole in the ground.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh thank christ this lunatic finally got called out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/03/14/theranos-chief-executive-elizabeth-holmes-charged-with-massive-fraud/

the strong odour of total bullshit was absolutely streaming off everything this woman did. The idiots 'venture capitalists' who gave her money should have their wealth redistributed for their own good, since they're clearly not able to distinguish their arse from a hole in the ground.

cyv9mIum.jpg
    dOwwyFYm.jpg
    FqYkguom.jpg

ah, these quotes

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I really like that last one but probably not for the same reasons they do.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://fortune.com/2017/12/23/theranos-secures-100-million-in-new-funding-from-fortress-capital/
    Theranos, the digraced medical-technology startup that infamously inflated the capabilities of its devices, has secured $100 million in new funding in the form of a loan.

The loan, reported by the Wall Street Journal, will come from Fortress Investment Group. Fortress, whose other underdog bets include a private passenger rail line under construction in Florida, is set to be acquired by Japan’s SoftBank.

although this still puzzles me

like this is barely three months ago

why would you give a known fraud operation, with revenue of less than $100 000 a year, a loan of $100 000 000

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    http://fortune.com/2017/12/23/theranos-secures-100-million-in-new-funding-from-fortress-capital/
    Theranos, the digraced medical-technology startup that infamously inflated the capabilities of its devices, has secured $100 million in new funding in the form of a loan.

The loan, reported by the Wall Street Journal, will come from Fortress Investment Group. Fortress, whose other underdog bets include a private passenger rail line under construction in Florida, is set to be acquired by Japan’s SoftBank.

although this still puzzles me

like this is barely three months ago

why would you give a known fraud operation, with revenue of less than $100 000 a year, a loan of $100 000 000

There's layers of weird here.
    Normally I'd suggest they know something we don't, but nothing has indicated any of these people know a damn thing about anything.

Softbank are no strangers to throwing money down a dubious technology toilet (hi Pepper) but usually their purchases do roughly what it says on the tin, at least.

so ... IDK.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'm curious if DOJ will have more to add. Although the SEC is coming down about as hard as they're allowed, $500K and no public CEO position for ten years is a slap on the wrist compared to $700M in fraudulent fundraising.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I'm curious if DOJ will have more to add. Although the SEC is coming down about as hard as they're allowed, $500K and no public CEO position for ten years is a slap on the wrist compared to $700M in fraudulent fundraising.

How would my punishment compare if I stole 700M from a bank?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

How would my punishment compare if I stole 700M from a bank?

Life in jail, easily.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Bee deaths from colony collapse disorder decline, US honeybee population increasing
    Bloomberg wrote:
    The number of commercial U.S. honeybee colonies rose 3 percent to 2.89 million as of April 1, 2017 compared with a year earlier, the Agriculture Department reported. The number of hives lost to Colony Collapse Disorder, a phenomenon of disappearing bees that has raised concerns among farmers and scientists for a decade, was 84,430 in this year’s first quarter, down 27 percent from a year earlier. Year-over-year losses declined by the same percentage in April through June, the most recent data in the survey.

I'll fucking take it.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    good news, that article's from august last year! imagine how much better it's gotten if it just rose 3 percent from april-august!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Bee deaths from colony collapse disorder decline, US honeybee population increasing
    Bloomberg wrote:
    The number of commercial U.S. honeybee colonies rose 3 percent to 2.89 million as of April 1, 2017 compared with a year earlier, the Agriculture Department reported. The number of hives lost to Colony Collapse Disorder, a phenomenon of disappearing bees that has raised concerns among farmers and scientists for a decade, was 84,430 in this year’s first quarter, down 27 percent from a year earlier. Year-over-year losses declined by the same percentage in April through June, the most recent data in the survey.

I'll fucking take it.

It was the rapture get it right

This discussion has been closed.