As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    c10laorbm4bm.jpeg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I wonder if any of them pharaohs went in for a solid gold dildo

I bet a solid gold dildo would be pretty good

It'd be bloody heavy, especially if it was a real big one.

Hmm, is gold as antibacterial as silver is?

Should be. Probably not as good as brass, silver, or copper though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    So... that’s...

no?

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    10% chance its The Doctor

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man, a brass dildo, that is the steampunk lifestyle taken to a truly frightening extreme

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    my post would have made a lot more sense before that dildo picture

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Man, a brass dildo, that is the steampunk lifestyle taken to a truly frightening extreme

The lesser known sequel to the Maltese Falcon.

there are steel ones

they are probably much easier to clean and sanitize too

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited July 2018
    I am aware of the superiority of dildos manufactured in deadly bright steel

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I have to question just what temperature a solid chunk of gold would end up in a society without ready access to climate control.

Waiting for it to get just right...is that the real origin of the Goldilocks story?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Just stick it under your armpit for awhile

I have to question just what temperature a solid chunk of gold would end up in a society without ready access to climate control.

Waiting for it to get just right...is that the real origin of the Goldilocks story?

It'd be ambient temperature. It'd only take a few minutes in close contact with your body to reach equilibrium with your skin's temp.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It'd be ambient temperature. It'd only take a few minutes in close contact with your body to reach equilibrium with your skin's temp.

Yes, gold has excellent thermal conductivity and a relatively low heat capacity, especially compared to (mostly water) people.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I wonder how hot it'd be if the Pharaoh left his golden dildo out in the sun all day and went to grab it. I imagine it'd be as hot as a car's hood?

It would be as hot as a golden dildo left out in the Egyptian sun all day

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I imagine that a Pharaoh might have some servant or priest to look after the royal, and therefore holy, dildos.

Also, I'll bet heating up a dildo a bit and having a dildo that has been chilled for quick, agonizing, wonderful swapsies like people do with glass ones these days is something that a servant or priest would be in charge of.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Could one of you fine people explain to me why there can't be green stars? I've read what info I can find, but I don't understand it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I could but I'd rather talk about golden pharaonic dildos

If I was an ancient pharaoh I'd keep all my golden dildos together and have a priest sit on em like a hen with eggs

edited July 2018
    Could one of you fine people explain to me why there can't be green stars? I've read what info I can find, but I don't understand it.

This image might help:

303px-PlanckianLocus.png

From what I'm gathering from wikipedia, the way black bodies (which a star almost is) work is that in order to release that green light, you also need to release both red and blue? Which would make the star look white, and thus, no green stars.

bowen on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

The short version is this: objects emit light corresponding to their temperature (blackbody radiation). Hot objects, like stars, emit light across a wide range of wavelengths including the visible spectrum. So every visible star emits some amount of light in every visible wavelength.

When our eyes interpret color information, we receive that information through three filters: red, blue, and green. The relative intensity of light through each filter determines how our brain identifies the color. There is no star that emits a great majority of its light in green wavelengths, and so our eyes don't perceive any star to be green. There are stars that emit more blue, or more red, as they are hotter or cooler respectively, but stars in between those will appear white.

Our sun actually has a peak emission near green, but that peak isn't sufficiently greater than the other visible light the sun emits, so it appears white.

Tynnan on
    I was just being boastful I can't explain anything about stars

This image might help:

303px-PlanckianLocus.png

From what I'm gathering from wikipedia, the way black bodies (which a star almost is) work is that in order to release that green light, you also need to release both red and blue? Which would make the star look white, and thus, no green stars.

I think this image is better for visualizing the effect at work here:

5kzkiqx9evp8.jpg

Our sun is somewhere near the 6000 Kelvin line, in the center. So it emits more-or-less evenly across the whole visible spectrum and therefore its light is interpreted as white by our visual system.

Ah so that's why I've seen Sol called a Green-yellow star.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Well, I'll tell you this, any star that is under 5 billion years old is still pretty dang green, if you ask me: HE 1523-0901.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Note: Don't stick anything made of brass or copper in your orifices. Your body is pretty acidic, and the copper, zinc, or lead that can leach into your body can be dangerous.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Note: Don't stick anything made of brass or copper in your orifices. Your body is pretty acidic, and the copper, zinc, or lead that can leach into your body can be dangerous.

But I've been told I'm pretty basic

JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2018
    Darmak wrote: »

That just means you need to stop watching Friends.

sarukun on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

This forum and Friends is like a hyper speed Ragnorok cycle.

I was a teenager when Friends was on the TV so I quite liked it.

I did, however, stop watching after like, season 5 or 6.

But that was when I had cable and Toonami was a thing, so why would I ever not be watching Cartoon Network?

Awwww but I already forged this brass dildo!

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I saw an object identified as a possible stone-age dildo in a museum recently ("might've been used for sexual stimulation")

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    They had a "female" room with Venus figurines and a "male" room which was just row after row of carved dicks

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I never watched Friends

JtgVX0H.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Shame there are no other purple stars

I never watched Friends

I’m not saying I don’t believe you

but I don’t believe you.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Shame there are no other purple stars
    I miss prince too dude

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I've been listening to A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. A thoroughly entertaining layman's review of our scientific history including some absolutely hilarious tidbits, and a few utterly horrifying ones.
    I asked them how much warning we would receive if a similar hunk of rock would come towards us today.

"Oh, probably none," said Anderson breezily. "It wouldn't be visible to the naked eye until it warmed up, and that wouldn't happen until it hit the atmosphere, which would be about one second before it hit the earth."

Fuck me
    Fuck me

I mean, I guess I already knew our civilization could at any time be wiped out by an asteroid, but there's something about the speed that makes it viscerally terrifying. If you happened to be looking up you would have just enough time to see a fireball that filled the sky, but no more than that. No Majora's Mask-style last day on earth, just brief terror followed by annihilation.

edited July 2018
    Maybe someone can correct me on this, but doesn't that quote assume an albedo of zero? Which doesn't typically happen, even with very dark extraterrestrial objects?

Also it would still be emitting, just not in the visual range. So you could still pick it up with an appropriate telescope.

Also also even if that guy is right and we'd have zero warning of the apocalypse, if it's not possible to prevent or prepare for then there's no point in worrying about it.

Tynnan on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Maybe someone can correct me on this, but doesn't that quote assume an albedo of zero? Which doesn't typically happen, even with very dark extraterrestrial objects?

It doesn't take a very large meteor to wipe out all life on earth, making detection before impact unlikely. We could certainly see it before impact, but it's far from guaranteed.

The state of our current meteor surveillance may be a lot better today than when the book was written, of course.

Vic on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Also it would still be emitting, just not in the visual range. So you could still pick it up with an appropriate telescope.

Also also even if that guy is right and we'd have zero warning of the apocalypse, if it's not possible to prevent or prepare for then there's no point in worrying about it.

The rock that caused the crater was about 1.2mi in diameter. Detecting it with the naked eye from the ground may be very difficult regardless of albedo.

We have detection and tracking of meteors and asteroids, but they're relatively limited, and while there's some overlap in different detection networks we don't have anything like a coherent defense structure to deal with it. We could definitely detect and deal with such impactors (provided they aren't going at galaxy-escape-velocity speeds), but it requires a system we don't have in place right now.

This discussion has been closed.