As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Oh I see the response was about naked eye visibility, which, nah. Not really relevant once you get that close.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That does have me thinking about all of those pictures where the dinosaurs are looking up at the meteor that's hurtling towards them. All of those pictures were taken in that one second window.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I was reading a sci fi series recently that has a lot of very well done evocative planetary impact catastrophe stuff in it and man it gave me crazy vivid dreams for a while, like what a surreal nightmare

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I was reading a sci fi series recently that has a lot of very well done evocative planetary impact catastrophe stuff in it and man it gave me crazy vivid dreams for a while, like what a surreal nightmare

There was a good bit about this in, I wanna say, green mars, but it might have been in red mars instead

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Which one had the space elevator crash? That was pretty nuts to read.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    It was the second one, which I think is Green Mars

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Which one had the space elevator crash? That was pretty nuts to read.

This happens in Red Mars. It might also happen in later books, I have not read them, but the Phobos elevator fucking up the planet happens in Red Mars.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The trilogy's depictions of space elevators don't really line up with more recent ideas of how they'd be built and operated, mind.

(Which is a little annoying because it's created a whole lot of kneejerk fear of the concept.)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lets talk about how silly space elevators are compared to Skyhooks
    nhr8tdzs4fte.png
    The theory is that the top of the skyhook's elevator is in low earth orbit the bottom about roughly at the top of the stratosphere
    So you can deliver cargo to the bottom of the skyhook have it take the elevator to the top where another craft takes it to where it needs to go
    In general it's a lot cheaper to set up and maintain than a space elevator

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's actually kind of neat.

Still not as efficient as a space elevator but if it were low enough it might be worth it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    THAT'S DOPE IT'S LIKE A GIANT DEADLY CARNIVAL RIDE

So like a normal carnival ride scaled up I guess.

• Options
    edited July 2018

0lgdl8pdg4nt.png

One theory is to have it non rotating
    0uzea87ko5yx.png

The other is how it would roll along
    giphy.gif

The problem is we can kind of build a skyhook now but it's on the horizon tech wise

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Hah!

Vorbit

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

0lgdl8pdg4nt.png

0uzea87ko5yx.png

giphy.gif

The problem is we can kind of build a skyhook now but it's on the horizon tech wise

But would it be built of gold or brass

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

0lgdl8pdg4nt.png

0uzea87ko5yx.png

giphy.gif

But would it be built of gold or brass

Neither
    Atomic Oxygen is not your friend

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I've heard of this idea before.

Wouldn't it'd need occasional corrections; as I think each "launch" would steal some of the skyhook's velocity, either orbital or rotational.

Not that a space elevator wouldn't need some orbit correction movements (at the center of mass) occasionally.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Assuming those fuel-less engine things that were all the rage a few years ago actually provide thrust, you could just use those and power it with solar probably.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Assuming those fuel-less engine things that were all the rage a few years ago actually provide thrust, you could just use those and power it with solar probably.

If it dips so low it's in atmosphere it could just collect it and push it out at much higher velocity for reaction mass. It'd be a tiny amount of thrust but near constant.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The most recent story I saw about the EM drive tests suggest the apparent thrust measurements were universally just interactions with Earth's electromagnetic field leaking through the magnetic field isolation around the test chamber causing false positives. Don't hold your breath about that one.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I've heard of this idea before.

Wouldn't it'd need occasional corrections; as I think each "launch" would steal some of the skyhook's velocity, either orbital or rotational.

Not that a space elevator wouldn't need some orbit correction movements (at the center of mass) occasionally.

Probably, but it we put the industrial oomph up there to build something like that the course corrections would be trivial by comparison.

Done properly a space elevator would be pretty static. They're a counterweighted tether made taut by the Earth's rotation more than some kind of tower or other solid structure.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    The most recent story I saw about the EM drive tests suggest the apparent thrust measurements were universally just interactions with Earth's electromagnetic field leaking through the magnetic field isolation around the test chamber causing false positives. Don't hold your breath about that one.

It'd probably still be close enough to Earth to push against the magnetic field in a way to generate lift.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

It'd probably still be close enough to Earth to push against the magnetic field in a way to generate lift.

The thrust detected probably wasn't actually from the EM drive, it was likely electromagnetic forces interacting between the Earth's field and the field generated by the power running through the cables powering the EM drive. Here's the study: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325177082_The_SpaceDrive_Project_-_First_Results_on_EMDrive_and_Mach-Effect_Thrusters

So if that's the case you can throw the whole stupid EM drive itself in the garbage can and build electromagnets instead, but I have no idea if that would even be a useful method of generating thrust in near-Earth space. Electromagnetism is weird and mysterious to me but not to science in general, so there's probably some reason they don't already do this.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

this is a couple years old, but this dude is one of the leading figures in challenging the previously held notions that the sea peoples caused the late bronze age decline

instead he posits that they were a migratory and semi-aggresive result of a collection of regional climate and geological catastrophes

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I am all about the late bronze age collapse thing, many thanks

• Options
    also "the Tjekker and Peleset were made ashes." is a fucking strong turn of phrase

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    It's a little dry but if you don't mind that I recommend his book 1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed where he goes into the Bronze Age civilizations and their collapse in more detail. For instance, how some areas of collapse that were blamed on the Sea Peoples really look more like local revolts against the political structure of the time (palaces and temples were burned to the ground and abandoned, and those were excavated first, but later excavations showed the surrounding towns were just fine during that time and kept on keeping on for decades after).

• Options
    "When your messenger arrived, the army was . . . humiliated and the city was sacked. Our food in the threshing floors was burnt and the vineyards were also destroyed. Our city is sacked. May you know it. May you know it!"

Well, the correspondence quoted in that lecture sure does do the "accounts of the ongoing apocalypse" thing...

• Options
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ass bread you say?

• Options
    Ass bread you say?

nonono, that would be old ass-bread

the hyphen is very important

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I believe this would predate Neolithic agriculture.

If someone told me bread would be the driving force behind the cultivation of wheat and subsequently everything we have now, I'd believe them. Bread is amazing.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bread and beer are enough to get me to start building a town.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Bread and beer are enough to get me to start building a town.

It was for most people back then as well

• Options
    I was reading that back in the day people used to make beer out of all sorts of wacky and/or poisonous stuff, like henbane beer, I wonder what a henbane brew is like

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I know NASA is working on automated spacecraft refuelling technology, as well.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I was reading that back in the day people used to make beer out of all sorts of wacky and/or poisonous stuff, like henbane beer, I wonder what a henbane brew is like

Wicked.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    aw only a few kilometers wide, basically just asteroids stuck in stable orbits around jupiter.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    aw only a few kilometers wide, basically just asteroids stuck in stable orbits around jupiter.

It is know as the Jovian sub system

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I have a question for those of y'all that know more about physics than I do. While playing with a fidget spinner at work I noticed that while it's spinning it sort of, I dunno, resists when I move it? Like if I'm holding it horizontally while it's spinning and I try to rotate my hand so that it's spinning vertically it feels like it's resisting. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Why does it do that? Does the phenomenon have a name?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.