As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nevermind, I really shouldn't ask.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Probably not a good idea to out peoples PA- >Professional names if they haven't done so already.

Even if I am curious.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    one hint for those curious:
    it's her handle on a few art portfolio sites as well

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I remember the valentines day stuff she did, was cute.

E: she's not inactive...?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    well, inactive in the posting sense at least

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Half of word SLOW 'outside permitted area' on Boxford road
    I always take care to sl down when appropriate, it's just common sense.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    109yr old credits God, smoke detectors for saving her life

Satan who was on the scene, said, "I almost got her!"

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Researcher creates drip free wine bottle
    Perlman studied slow-motion videos of wine being poured. He observed first that drippage was most extreme when a bottle was full or close to it. He also saw that a stream of wine tends to curl backward over the lip and run down the side of the glass bottle because glass is hydrophilic, meaning it attracts water.

Using a diamond-studded tool, Perlman, assisted by engineer Greg Widberg, created a circular groove around the neck of the bottle just beneath the top. A droplet of wine that would otherwise run down the side of the bottle encounters the groove, but can’t traverse it. Instead, it immediately falls off the bottle into the glass along with the rest of the wine.

Remember that when you pour a full or nearly-full bottle of wine, you hold it at a slightly upward angle in relation to the glass. For a drop of wine to make it across Perlman's groove, it would have to travel up inside the groove against the force of gravity or have enough momentum to jump from one side of the groove to the other. After many tests, Perlman found the perfect width, roughly 2 millimeters, and depth, roughly 1 millimeter, for the groove so that the wine stream can't get passed it.

Current wine bottle designs date to the early 1800s and haven't changed much since. About 200 years of drips, drabs, stains and spots may be coming to an end. Perlman is currently speaking with bottle manufacturers about adopting his design.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fucking finally.

#winesnobproblems

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Doesn't matter if you're chugging straight from the bottle

Or using a super long crazy straw if you're feeling fancy

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

What kind of hoity toity wine snob are you? Look at this duder with his bottles of wine.

You drink it straight from the box like a true red blooded 'Murican, and you like it.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Or using one of those aerators that plugs directly into the bottle.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Or using one of those aerators that plugs directly into the bottle.

Or just buy tiny plastic bottles and down them all at once without using a glass but be careful, tinywines are deceptively powerful

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

What kind of hoity toity wine snob are you? Look at this duder with his bottles of wine.

You drink it straight from the box like a true red blooded 'Murican, and you like it.

You keep it in the box?

Rip that bag out of its unwieldy frame and cradle it like a newborn babe

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Real wine drinkers jam a tap straight through the glass.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Fuck all y'all, I eat the bottle.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

You keep it in the box?

Rip that bag out of its unwieldy frame and cradle it like a newborn babe

What do I look like? Some kind of animal?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I put the neck of the bottle directly into my crystal Jack Daniels Elvis decanter cuz I'm classy like that

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The only advantage to boxes is that it keeps wine fresh if you drink it slowly. Otherwise just Carlos Rosi that shit.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Researcher creates drip free wine bottle
    Perlman studied slow-motion videos of wine being poured. He observed first that drippage was most extreme when a bottle was full or close to it. He also saw that a stream of wine tends to curl backward over the lip and run down the side of the glass bottle because glass is hydrophilic, meaning it attracts water.

Using a diamond-studded tool, Perlman, assisted by engineer Greg Widberg, created a circular groove around the neck of the bottle just beneath the top. A droplet of wine that would otherwise run down the side of the bottle encounters the groove, but can’t traverse it. Instead, it immediately falls off the bottle into the glass along with the rest of the wine.

Remember that when you pour a full or nearly-full bottle of wine, you hold it at a slightly upward angle in relation to the glass. For a drop of wine to make it across Perlman's groove, it would have to travel up inside the groove against the force of gravity or have enough momentum to jump from one side of the groove to the other. After many tests, Perlman found the perfect width, roughly 2 millimeters, and depth, roughly 1 millimeter, for the groove so that the wine stream can't get passed it.

Current wine bottle designs date to the early 1800s and haven't changed much since. About 200 years of drips, drabs, stains and spots may be coming to an end. Perlman is currently speaking with bottle manufacturers about adopting his design.

I don't see how this is going to effect my wine drinking habits at all:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCp9-tEHa8U

• Options
    I miss Alton Brown.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I miss Alton Brown.

did something happen to him?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I miss Alton Brown.

No, but he's not really on tv anymore. He's doing a science of cooking road show thing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I miss Alton Brown.

No, but he's not really on tv anymore. He's doing a science of cooking road show thing.

Good Eats ended, and his cooking game show that he was hosting was ... okay, but not really what I tune in to watch Alton Brown do (which is basically be Food Channel Bill Nye).

I didn't mean to imply that he'd died - sorry about that! Just that I miss his particular brand of humor + science + food + history + culture + ... + fun on TV.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The newest treat from Asia: the panda roll -

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Why is thankfully in inverted commas - oh, it's a Thanksgiving reference

I thought Sgt. Wheeles was throwing some major shade there for a minute

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The Indiana Turkey, the most metal of all Turkeys

5n7u8nm3bgl3.jpg

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/03/28/30-pound-turkey-impales-familys-windshield-la-porte-county/99741326/

Edit: For real though, it's Turkey mating season. They're out in all the fields and yesterday I saw a good sized flock come to a road as I approached. 'Thankfully' they decided to let me pass before walking out

Veevee on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

5n7u8nm3bgl3.jpg

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/03/28/30-pound-turkey-impales-familys-windshield-la-porte-county/99741326/

Edit: For real though, it's Turkey mating season. They're out in all the fields and yesterday I saw a good sized flock come to a road as I approached. 'Thankfully' they decided to let me pass before walking out

"Thankfully" they were "giving" you the right of way oh ho ho ho

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

5n7u8nm3bgl3.jpg

"Thankfully" they were "giving" you the right of way oh ho ho ho

I'll allow this, but only because you rightfully put christmas after thanksgiving.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Florida police build beeping Easter eggs so that blind kids can join egg hunt
    Nicholson, who joined the Tampa Police department five years and began working on the bomb squad a few months ago, is pleased with his work.

“It’s a lot safer,” he joked, comparing beeping eggs to his day job. “Being able to help everyone out no matter who they are.”

The eggs will be “hidden” in an open field at Hickory Point Park in Tavares, Fla. It’s a chance for visually impaired children to participate in an Easter eggs hunt. The kids will find the eggs based on the sound of the beeps.

The fun begins April 15 with photos with the Easter bunny at 10 a.m. and the beeping egg hunt at 11.

“Definitely special for kids,” said Brough. “Every kid loves Easter and finding Easter eggs and this is just a way to let everybody participate in it.”

The annual Easter tradition was started 11 years ago by a special agent after finding out his newborn child was blind.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Bad news, a Badger stole a cow in Utah.

He was polite enough to leave it right where he found it, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHiOwR7cfc

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That badger is just an entrepreneur in the fledgeling market of nonhuman funeral and burial services.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Bad news...:
    Wisconsin police called out to put a stop to a kids street hockey game

...in a good way:
    But they blocked off the street with their patrol cars, joined the game and played for 30 minutes before they showed the kids a nearby parking lot where they could play without risk or blocking the traffic.
    Police-called-to-stop-street-hockey-game-join-the-kids-instead

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    In further evidence of the existence of a cruel and uncaring God, we bring the latest from the Spider Desk (warning: animated gifs of skittering nope in link):

Spiders could theoretically eat every human on Earth in one year
    The world's spiders consume somewhere between 400 million and 800 million tons of prey in any given year. That means that spiders eat at least as much meat as all 7 billion humans on the planet combined, who the authors note consume about 400 million tons of meat and fish each year.

Or, for a slightly more disturbing comparison: The total biomass of all adult humans on Earth is estimated to be 287 million tons.

The gone right is that the total mass of spiders is only 25 million tones, so chances are we could eat them first. (that's about as gone right as the Spider Desk gets, I'm afraid)

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Good thing spiders only have access to local webs and cannot read that article.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I like to think that in that scenario we could easily solve the problem with a treatment of vigorous oxidation.

I think that's the appropriate treatment for many similar issues as well.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Fuck all y'all, I eat the bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8GrphjHmBs

• Options
    Why I Love My Fucking Home State, Even The Wildlife Is On Twitter Edition: