As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad News... in a good way.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    The money for gas stations is in pretty much everything but the gas.
    Which is why so many gas stations where i live have become some weird cafe/pizza shop/giftshop/thing mix, that might sell gas, if you're lucky.
    They're like mini malls that just happen to have a gas pump in their vicinity, and you might not even have an option paying inside, either pay with a card or shove bills into the machine.

Some of the ones in bad areas sell some really shady stuff too.

Before it was made illegal, they sometimes were selling synthetic marijuana.
    And sell stuff pretty clearly designed for use as a crack pipe with only minimal attempt to disguise that intended use.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Like a huge supply of rolling papers but no loose tobacco

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    If you’ve never needed a paper rose in a glass tube on an emergency basis then I guess we’re just living very different lives.

Edit for late comment regarding the NRA/bus driver situation: The bus driver took the bus to the police station, he didn’t just keep driving his route. Dangerous for the guy on the hood, but well. He decided to go all Twilight Zone Gremlin on a bunch of kids.

My favorite part is that he might not have noticed where the bus was going until he was being delivered to the station’s front door.

OneAngryPossum on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I've been filling my gas tank in New Jersey, where they have to pump the gas for you.
    Waiting for the guy to get to you sure adds to the fun.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I've been filling my gas tank in New Jersey, where they have to pump the gas for you.

The idea of someone else using the pump for you never stops being weird to me.
    It's just not a thing in Finland.
    If you can't figure out how to use a pump, you should not be driving.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

It's not a "Don't know how to use a pump" thing; it's a (low-paying, low-skill) job-creation program.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It's not a "Don't know how to use a pump" thing; it's a (low-paying, low-skill) job-creation program.
    Might as well hire them to dig/fill holes in the ground.
    Or get a decent social safety net.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Last time I was in NJ I almost just got out and did it myself, he probably wouldn't have even known I was there and gone it took him so long.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It's the same in Oregon. It adds fuckall to the price of gas and creates thousands of jobs in my state, so I'm cool with it. You can pump your own if you have a CDL though.

I feel bed for the poor bastards during our 8 month rainy season though.

SmokeStacks on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty anti-panda as a concept, but I sure spent a lot of time watching one at Edinburgh Zoo

I guess a big fat blob who makes poor dietary choices speaks to me on some level

Giant pandas are F tier bears.

Red pandas are the best pandas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MjpSrjUz_M

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I'm pretty anti-panda as a concept, but I sure spent a lot of time watching one at Edinburgh Zoo

I guess a big fat blob who makes poor dietary choices speaks to me on some level

Giant pandas are F tier bears.

Red pandas are the best pandas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MjpSrjUz_M

What, the F tier weasels?

jothki on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    both kinds of pandas are awesome

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

aaaaaand I'm crying.

Just hearing the relief and joy in their voices. :')

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular

What the hell is wrong with those field tests that they can't tell sugar from meth?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

What the hell is wrong with those field tests that they can't tell sugar from meth?

We could talk about a whole host of tools that cops use to establish reasons to arrest folks but because of the second part of the thread title they're all off topic.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The thing is, you would expect cops to be familiar with donut crumbs and glaze.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I mean, I've always known that Krispy Kreme donuts were addicting ... I guess now we know why.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    That was my thought that, jokingly, their donuts have some relation, chemically, to meth.

Nitsua on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    And now I've just spend thirty minutes looking at the mechanism of chemical tests for illicit drugs on my work account.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/CE5o4JoyMkE

Those tests are just shit, does nothing more then give cops a reason to arrest anyone they want.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I mean, I've always known that Krispy Kreme donuts were addicting ... I guess now we know why.

The test was right, but the fraternal order of police had the investigation quashed.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Foomy wrote: »

Those tests are just shit, does nothing more then give cops a reason to arrest anyone they want.

Many have well documented ways to misuse them to cause a false positive. Even the best ones, though, are screening tests, not diagnostic tests. The distinction is that the first type is designed to minimize fase negatives but not false positives, the second is more complicated for maximum accuracy.

A good analogy is the Orasure HIV test. Very nearly 0 false negative, but if you get a positive, you have pretty high chances of being clean, because it has a fair false positive rate. I myself give a false positive because I picked up some antibody or maybe just have a weird blood protein that triggers it. More people have one of those than the actual virus. The idea is a test where you can trust the negative to spare as many people as you can from shit like blood draws or spinal taps or marrow drills. Then you can let the good news temper the apology for the ones who fall through the cracks.

That sounds great in medicine, but when the false positive doesn't mean "giant spine needle" but actually means "jail for however long it takes to do the real test" it's bullshit.

And when the doctor is there using too many drops or adding ingredients from other tests to create a false positive because he just loves drilling into people's hips and won't let some leukemia screening ruin his fun the whole system can fuck right off.

Hevach on
    Hevach wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

Many have well documented ways to misuse them to cause a false positive. Even the best ones, though, are screening tests, not diagnostic tests. The distinction is that the first type is designed to minimize fase negatives but not false positives, the second is more complicated for maximum accuracy.

A good analogy is the Orasure HIV test. Very nearly 0 false negative, but if you get a positive, you have pretty high chances of being clean, because it has a fair false positive rate. I myself give a false positive because I picked up some antibody or maybe just have a weird blood protein that triggers it. More people have one of those than the actual virus. The idea is a test where you can trust the negative to spare as many people as you can from shit like blood draws or spinal taps or marrow drills. Then you can let the good news temper the apology for the ones who fall through the cracks.

That sounds great in medicine, but when the false positive doesn't mean "giant spine needle" but actually means "jail for however long it takes to do the real test" it's bullshit.

And when the doctor is there using too many drops or adding ingredients from other tests to create a false positive because he just loves drilling into people's hips and won't let some leukemia screening ruin his fun the whole system can fuck right off.

Sounds like they need to change the official language for interpreting results to

Is it meth?
    Clear: Absolutely not.
    Blue: Dunno.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

aaaaaand I'm crying.

Just hearing the relief and joy in their voices. :')

there was not enough dog in that video but. . .it is still a good video

steam_sig.png
    Texas Man embezzles $1.2M from the state...via fajita:
    Here's how it went down: a man working for the Juvenile Justice Department in Texas kept ordering fajitas "for" the department, but instead intercepted them, stole the fajitas, and sold them. He was busted when the catering company called the department informing them of the order of 800 pounds of fajitas. That's when the penny dropped: the department's kitchen doesn't even serve fajitas. And the caterer had been "delivering" to department for nine years, racking up $1.2 million of stolen beef.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Gosh you're supposed to skim it off the top, not deliver a whole item that you don't even serve, don't people know how to launder anymore?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    This isn't chat!

jungleroomx on
    bowen wrote: »
    Gosh you're supposed to skim it off the top, not deliver a whole item that you don't even serve, don't people know how to launder anymore?

Seriously. If he took, say, one box of everything each shipment, he probably would never have gotten caught, or if he was, he'd be caught stealing whatever he took the one time. Having a whole extra item dedicated to it, never changing that item, and not using an item from regular inventory guarantees that once caught, he's caught for all thefts past and present.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Seriously. If he took, say, one box of everything each shipment, he probably would never have gotten caught, or if he was, he'd be caught stealing whatever he took the one time. Having a whole extra item dedicated to it, never changing that item, and not using an item from regular inventory guarantees that once caught, he's caught for all thefts past and present.

Still, he made it 9 years. That's not too shabby!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited October 2017
    kime wrote: »

Still, he made it 9 years. That's not too shabby!

Yes, but now he's going to probably go to jail or pay everything he has as restitution. Had he used my idea, he'd be fired and maybe out a few hundred or a couple thousand at worst, since they'd only have caught him stealing 800 pounds of fajitas. And he'd still have his fallback career as the Fajita King that way.

Hevach on
    School once named in honor of traitor president renamed for actual one:
    The Jackson, Mississippi public school district board of education voted to change the name of one of its magnet elementary schools — named for the President of the Confederacy during the civil war — in honor of former President Barack Obama.

The name change for the Jefferson Davis Elementary School, which has a student population that is 98 percent black, was announced Tuesday at the district school board meeting, according to the Clarion-Ledger. The school will now be called the Barack Obama Magnet IB.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    School once named in honor of traitor president renamed for actual one:
    The Jackson, Mississippi public school district board of education voted to change the name of one of its magnet elementary schools — named for the President of the Confederacy during the civil war — in honor of former President Barack Obama.

The name change for the Jefferson Davis Elementary School, which has a student population that is 98 percent black, was announced Tuesday at the district school board meeting, according to the Clarion-Ledger. The school will now be called the Barack Obama Magnet IB.

I'm assuming the rest of the country is taking that well.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    There's a Jefferson Davis middle school here in my part of Virginia (in a predominantly black city) that I wonder why no one has said anything about. Seems like it was purposefully setup that way and I don't like what it was more than likely meant to represent.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    New AI teaches itself to play Go in a few days, takes on all human and AI challengers
    In a new paper describing their creation, the people at the company DeepMind contrast their new AI with their earlier Go-playing algorithms. The older algorithms contained two separate neural networks. One of them, trained using human experts, was dedicated to evaluating the most probable move of a human opponent. A second neural network was trained to predict the winner of the game following a given move. These were combined with software that directed them to evaluate possible future moves to create a human-beating system, although it required multiple computers equipped with an application-specific processors developed by Google called tensor processing units.

While the results were impressive enough to consistently beat top human players, they required expert input during the training. And that creates two limitations. The algorithm can only perform tasks where human experts already exist, and they're unlikely to do things that a human would never consider.

So the people at DeepMind decided to make a Go-playing AI that could teach itself how to play. To do so, they used a process called reinforcement learning. The new algorithm, called AlphaGo Zero, would learn by playing against a second instance of itself. Both Zeroes would start off with knowledge of the rules of Go, but they would only be capable of playing random moves. Once a move was played, however, the algorithm tracked if it was associated with better game outcomes. Over time, that knowledge led to more sophisticated play.

Over time, AlphaGo Zero built up a tree of possible moves, along with values associated with the game outcomes in which they were played. It also kept track of how often a given move had been played in the past, so it could quickly identify moves that were consistently associated with success. Since both instances of the neural network were improving at the same time, the procedure ensured that AlphaGo Zero was always playing against an opponent that was challenging at its current skill level.

The DeepMind team ran the AI against itself for three days, during which it completed nearly five million games of Go. (that's about 0.4 seconds per move). When the training was complete, they set it up with a machine that had four tensor processing units and put Zero against one of their earlier, human-trained iterations, which was given multiple computers and a total of 48 tensor processing units. AlphaGo Zero romped, beating its opponent 100 games to none.

Tests with partially trained versions showed that Zero was able to start beating human-trained AIs in as little as a day. The DeepMind team then continued training for 40 days. By day four, it started consistently beating an earlier, human-trained version that was the first capable of beating human grandmasters. By day 25, Zero started consistently beating the most sophisticated human-trained AI. And at day 40, it beat that AI in 89 games out of 100. Obviously, any human player facing it was stomped.

Other articles have quotes from (human) Go players talking about how having an AI come up with strategies humans never had opens up a wealth of new approaches to the game previously not considered.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    At least Skynet will be to busy playing Chess and Go to kill all the humans.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2017
    TNTrooper wrote: »

By teaching it games that favor the long view, the inevitable Skynet(s) will realise they needn't waste any effort, or take any risks, wiping us out, and can instead just get started teaching us how to build up the infrastructure it will need to endure once we're gone.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

By teaching it games that favor the long view, the unevitable Skynets will realise they needn't waste any effort, or take any risks, wiping us out, and can instead just get started teaching us how to build up the infrastructure it will need to endure once we're gone.

That or we won't be considered a threat cause we can't win at board games.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.