As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Truck Attack in France Kills 70+

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    For the first time, I got into an argument with random strangers having a Daily Mail style rant on the bus. Which, given I have an anxiety disorder, really drives home how pissed off I am today.

It pretty much went like this.

Man: "(long, hateful rant)...and their religion tells them to beat women!"
    Woman: "No!"
    Man: "It does! It tells them to beat women!"
    Me: "So does yours."
    Both: "What?!"
    Me: "Christian, right?"
    Both: "...yes..."
    Me: "Right. The Bible says to beat your wives."
    Man: "No it doesn't!"
    Me: "Sure it does. Have a read of Leviticus."
    Woman: "Oh, but that's Old Testement! The Old Testement doesn't apply to us! Jesus brought in new rules for us!"
    Me: "The Old Testement doesn't apply?"
    Woman: "That's right!"
    Me: "Like the Ten Commandments you mean?"
    *both shut up*

I guess I can look forward to dirty looks and muttering on the bus for a while. Yay.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Atomika wrote: »
    Daily Telegraph is reporting that locals who knew the man described him as not very religious but definitely kind of crazy.

This rising tide of randos losing their shit and latching on to radical Islam to motivate them to action is fucking dire.

It's also arguably the strategy being employed now. Why bother with infrastructure, cells and similar? Instead just use social media and other things to give already unstable individuals that tiny push they need to go over the edge at last. All you need to do is get to them through media, facebook or whatever other channel you need.

Attacks like this are incredibly difficult for authorities to stop. Listening to all of the people criticizing the security and similar was heart breaking for me. The police there did *everything* they reasonably could with what they had. They had guns, barricades and an officer on a motorcycle even tried to catch onto the door, shoot him and get in (but sadly failed). These are not people who didn't try to protect peoples lives, they did everything they could and they failed. They'll have to live with that as well and replaying this horrific day over and over again. Forever wondering "Could I have done something more". Some of the utterly ruthless criticism being directed at them must be just, I don't even imagine how they are feeling actually. I can't understand it.

Honestly, I don't know what the solution to attacks like this is, where people can arm themselves with things that aren't inherently weapons in creative ways. I wouldn't be surprised if heavy enough vehicles like this truck start requiring special features or more close monitoring of licenses to operate across Europe though.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know what the solution to attacks like this is, where people can arm themselves with things that aren't inherently weapons in creative ways. I wouldn't be surprised if heavy enough vehicles like this truck start requiring special features or more close monitoring of licenses to operate across Europe though.

Autonomous driving.

• GorelabGorelab Registered User regular
    Daily Telegraph is reporting that locals who knew the man described him as not very religious but definitely kind of crazy.

This rising tide of randos losing their shit and latching on to radical Islam to motivate them to action is fucking dire.

I kinda wonder, if in the end, this type of random mass attack basically comes from the same type of disaffection, no matter the ideology they choose to justify it.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Two Americans confirmed killed in the attack. Brodie and Sean Copeland.
    My brother used to coach Brodie Copeland's baseball team. He was only 11.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Truck barriers! Big, heavy-ass concrete and steel slabs that can be easily anchored into the ground without causing tons of damage to the area and installed and removed in a matter of hours. We've had these for so long it's making me fucking angry that these seem to never be put in place now. It isn't even an anti-terrorism method it's a freaking traffic control method! You use them for the exact same reason they should have been installed at SXSW in 2014, because people are stupid with their cars and a wooden sawhorse isn't going to do a damn thing. You don't even need to think there's going to be an attack! You have an outdoor event, you're setting up a cordon to keep out vehicles anyways, so you install barriers that actually freaking work against trucks as well.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Two Americans confirmed killed in the attack. Brodie and Sean Copeland.
    My brother used to coach Brodie Copeland's baseball team. He was only 11.

Yeah, theyre from Lakeway, just west of Austin on Lake Travis.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Overall. Everything points to this guy being a Lone crazy.

1. No signs of the technical skills associated with affiliated terrorists.
    2. No religious associations or connections with known terrorists.
    3. Troubled personal life, difficulties relating to others and a history of petty crimes.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Truck barriers! Big, heavy-ass concrete and steel slabs that can be easily anchored into the ground without causing tons of damage to the area and installed and removed in a matter of hours. We've had these for so long it's making me fucking angry that these seem to never be put in place now. It isn't even an anti-terrorism method it's a freaking traffic control method! You use them for the exact same reason they should have been installed at SXSW in 2014, because people are stupid with their cars and a wooden sawhorse isn't going to do a damn thing. You don't even need to think there's going to be an attack! You have an outdoor event, you're setting up a cordon to keep out vehicles anyways, so you install barriers that actually freaking work against trucks as well.

Rising bollards are becoming a lot more common in the United States. I expect them to be everywhere very soon.

rising-bollards.jpg

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I can't wait for the day we develop mass effect kinetic barriers so that guns are not as effective.

Codex_ME_-_Kinetic_Barriers.png

Of course they would be useless against a 20 ton truck

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular

3. Troubled personal life, difficulties relating to others and a history of petty crimes.

Seems to be recurring themes. With social media looking for and pushing such people seems to be a skill these groups are rapidly learning.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The guy drove nearly 2km through the crowd. I really don't know what to say. It's just so insane.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Seems to be recurring themes. With social media looking for and pushing such people seems to be a skill these groups are rapidly learning.

It's a documented strategy, actually. Locate vulnerable people in developed nations, radicalize them, then have them commit lone wolf attacks.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

It's a documented strategy, actually. Locate vulnerable people in developed nations, radicalize them, then have them commit lone wolf attacks.

It's basically the weaponized version of Facebook suicide inducement.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Just saying. So far there is no proof that it's IS/Al Qaida/Ansar al-Sharia are in any way connected.
    No sign of radicalization. No signs of affiliation. No declarations of support (at least not from the murderers side).

Tunisian Rampage killer doesn't automaticly mean Terrorist.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    For the first time, I got into an argument with random strangers having a Daily Mail style rant on the bus. Which, given I have an anxiety disorder, really drives home how pissed off I am today.

Woman: "Oh, but that's Old Testement! The Old Testement doesn't apply to us! Jesus brought in new rules for us!"
    *both shut up*

I guess I can look forward to dirty looks and muttering on the bus for a while. Yay.

The 10 commandments don't apply anymore. Two new commandments from Christ (that overrode the old ones) were Love God and Love your fellow man as yourself. The 10 commandments are still good rules in general so it's probably why they are still brought up, though.

I mean, it's true that the OT doesn't apply to Christianity. Thats the whole point of the New Testament.

Just figured I'd point that out before you try that again on someone more knowledgeable.

ObiFett on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Autonomous driving.

In the 'future of driverless vehicles' thread, the notion that the passengers will still be able to take control for a variety of reasons remains something many people have expressed an interest in, and makes sense in a safety measure manner (at least in some circumstances, yes the computer may actually be better at a lot of things, but telling people they won't have any control whatsoever seems iffy).

Now, having a system that would let the user take control but still act on breaking if obstacles (especially people) were in the way would be great, but the idea that fighting for control of ones vehicle might be a hard sell, and more importantly, I imagine a lot of effort would go into bypassing that kind of feature, because people are like that.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    My girlfriends mom, yesterday, had some throwaway comment to the effect of "I thought ramadan was over, aren't they done with this yet?". This was before any details about the perp had come out. It's like seven kinds of ignorance in one sentence.

I was fucking furious.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Autonomous driving.

In the 'future of driverless vehicles' thread, the notion that the passengers will still be able to take control for a variety of reasons remains something many people have expressed an interest in, and makes sense in a safety measure manner (at least in some circumstances, yes the computer may actually be better at a lot of things, but telling people they won't have any control whatsoever seems iffy).

Now, having a system that would let the user take control but still act on breaking if obstacles (especially people) were in the way would be great, but the idea that fighting for control of ones vehicle might be a hard sell, and more importantly, I imagine a lot of effort would go into bypassing that kind of feature, because people are like that.

Every bit that would make something like this more difficult would be good. Even if there were ways around it. The attacker simply rented a truck and went off with nothing hindering him.

• glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Has anyone read Bruce Sterling's book Distraction? One of the plot points was weaponizing crazies by spamming them with conspiracy theory crap.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    ObiFett wrote: »

*both shut up*

The 10 commandments don't apply anymore. Two new commandments from Christ (that overrode the old ones) were Love God and Love your fellow man as yourself. The 10 commandments are still good rules in general so it's probably why they are still brought up, though.

I mean, it's true that the OT doesn't apply to Christianity. Thats the whole point of the New Testament.

Just figured I'd point that out before you try that again on someone more knowledgeable.

Someone more knowledgeable would be actually doing what their messiah told them to instead of flinging around buckets of hateful ignorant shit, so Desktop Hippie wouldn't NEED to use that argument on them.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Fuck, so it was like akihabara massacre.....shit, even had the same style of cab.

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

*both shut up*

So he'd just need to tell them the two new commandments and be done?

I guess it would save some time.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    It depends what kind of Islam are we talking about, just like with Christianity

Some Evangelicals are backing factions in Africa that murder gays because they think Leviticus is just as important as the NT, some muslims are Salafi and think everyone should live in the exact way people did in like 615 AD Saudi Arabia

override367 on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    It depends what kind of Islam are we talking about, just like with Christianity

Some Evangelicals are backing factions in Africa that murder gays because they think Leviticus is just as important as the NT, some muslims are Salafi and think everyone should live in the exact way people did in like 615 AD Saudi Arabia

Yup, and both of those factions are completely wrong and deserving of criticism.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Early reports on the perpetrator paints an uncommon picture. 31 years old, divorced, 3 kids, never wore obvious signs of religion, not known to visit any mosques, not on any watchlists for radicalisation, said to frequent a nearby bar to both drink and gamble. Described as a loner, never greeted people back.

Only major run in with the police was apparently major road rage in March of this year where he flung a wooden pallet at someone.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    That's a relief???

I didn't want it to be IS related, though I don't really understand why.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Guys like this douchnozzle don't really need a religion or cause. They simply latch on to one and use it as an excuse.

This guy and the guy that killed the MP in Britain probably have more in common then either would admit.

The Dallas Shooter, the Columbine Killers and Anders Brevik would be equal comparison.

As for causes: 40 years ago it would have been Revolutionary Communist Vanguard like the Directe Action and the Weathermen.

60 years ago it would have been Anti-colonialist pan-arab.

100 years ago: Anarchist "Equalist" bomb-thrower.

These guys have been around and are not going away.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    That's a relief???

because yet another attack by those cockbags would give further fuel to the angry extreme right and give them more support and more reason to rattle sabers over "Le Muslims".

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    My family is dragging colonialism into the narrative.

I mean, ugh.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    That's a relief???

Because it's not going to inspire even more "retaliatory" hatred?

So the names and stories of the victims are starting to emerge, and it's a heck of a mix of nationalities.

There's a lot of French victims of course, including a man who pushed his pregnant wife out of the way of the truck and saved her life, and their child's. As mentioned earlier, two kids on a school trip from Germany were killed, along with their teacher. A man from Texas and his 11 year old son also died. A Russian woman in her 20s has been identified among the dead, a Swiss woman and child, two Tunisian men and a Tunisian woman. Her four year old son is still missing. Two children from Algeria were killed, along with a 70 year old woman who was visiting her daughter. A Ukranian and an Armenian have also been confirmed dead as a result of the attack.

According to the local news, an Irishman survived but is still in critical condition. Which considering he's just one survivor I guess means the death toll could still go up.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The report I saw earlier said 204 injured, 52 critically.

a5ehren on
    Yeah, apparently about 54 of them are kids.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Yeah, apparently about 54 of them are kids.

on this point, a woman who was interviewed by the BBC today said that the driver swerved the lorry towards a carousel, which is why so many children are among the injured and dead. they weren't caught up in it by chance, he actively targeted them. :( as if what happened couldn't be any more heartbreaking and disgusting.

Oh shit. Somethings happening in Istanbul right now.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

There's an attempted coup ongoing in Ankara, and we're covering it in the ME thread.

a5ehren on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

could just be them being especially cautious and jumping at shadows. hopefully its nothing more serious than that.

EDIT: or its an attempted coup.

Wraith260 on
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    It's starting to feel more and more that the world is coming apart at the seems, that common decency isn't, that feelings of safety are a dangerous delusion. Violence is not the answer, obviously, but I can see why fear and anger are gaining traction among the peoples of the world.
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Early reports on the perpetrator paints an uncommon picture. 31 years old, divorced, 3 kids, never wore obvious signs of religion, not known to visit any mosques, not on any watchlists for radicalisation, said to frequent a nearby bar to both drink and gamble. Described as a loner, never greeted people back.

Only major run in with the police was apparently major road rage in March of this year where he flung a wooden pallet at someone.

I know it's selfish and petty of me, but I can't help but be worried that people are going to look at me as a potential threat because I'm not a publicly sociable person. I specifically make it a point to reply to public greetings, even if I really, really don't want to, so I don't attract attention.

Nobeard wrote: »
    It's starting to feel more and more that the world is coming apart at the seems, that common decency isn't, that feelings of safety are a dangerous delusion. Violence is not the answer, obviously, but I can see why fear and anger are gaining traction among the peoples of the world.
    SanderJK wrote: »

I know it's selfish and petty of me, but I can't help but be worried that people are going to look at me as a potential threat because I'm not a publicly sociable person. I specifically make it a point to reply to public greetings, even if I really, really don't want to, so I don't attract attention.

I don't sync with my black community because I was characterized in high school as the [arab derogatory term] [african derogatory term] [gay derogatory term] everyone saw in the corner that everyone thought would shoot up the school.

Fuck em', get your paper.