The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

GhostBusters: Aint Afraid of No Reviews

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular


GhostBusters got a remake, directed by Paul Feig. The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women. Oh, the humanity. Actually, that's not true. The movie got immediately attacked when it was announced.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul-feig-ghostbusters-comedy-reboot-1201274332/

That said, I have no beef with anyone who doesn't like it because it looks terrible or doesn't like reboots. Believe me, I didn't like the trailers either. But I do like the cast and the director. Loved Bridemaids.

Reviews have been mediocre, which I take as a win.



Here's RLM reviewing the original. Because, why not?



Can't wait to see their review.

«13456727

Posts

  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I thought Bridesmaids was overrated. So I wasn't really expecting much from this.

  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Wow, HD CGI slimer is...really unappealing and not funny looking. Sometimes old timey shitty effects win!

    Nosf on
    TicaldfjamHeirDark Raven XRichydispatch.oLanlaornnaengwenAtlas in ChainsTubularLuggageJayrichoLostNinjaAbsoluteZeroZilla360CaptainNemoEddyEdith UpwardsPLA
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    I saw this movie yesterday. I really liked it and thought it was very funny. Take this as you will from a resident Ghostbusters super fan.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork


    Hahnsoo1The EnderFroThulhunaengwenElvenshaeDiplominatormageormikephysi_marcKalnaurAlazullAlphagaia
  • JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed. The backlash after the trailer was different than the backlash when the female cast was revealed.

    Spy had the same issue. Spy was great, but the trailer made it look like the kind of run-of-the-mill comedy Kevin Hart keeps signing up for.

    Jibba on
    FrankiedarlingLanlaorngjaustinjungleroomxThe Deliveratornaengwenarmageddonbound
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    RhalloTonnyLovelyFroThulhunaengwenmageormikecB557
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    Seriously. Bad remakes get made all the time, and sure the trailers definitely didn't look great (My wife and I gave a resounding 'ehhhh' after watching them)

    But good lord, the sheer vitriol spewed all over the internet about this movie made the consistent 'I don't hate women, but' comments ring largely of 'Its all about ethics in journalism'

    It makes me very happy that its ok to pretty good

    Harry DresdenTheBlackWindNartwakLovelynaengwenPreciousBodilyFluidscB557
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I didn't really care for the trailer and haven't paid much attention to the movie since then, but I've remained hopeful that the movie will be good. I originally wasn't intending on seeing it in the theater, but the other day my wife expressed interest in seeing it, so looks like we'll be paying a visit to our local Cinemark in the next few days. We rarely go to the movies anymore, and when we do, it's usually for an MCU film.

    I'm glad the movie seems to be at least OK. This will actually be my first proper exposure to all four leads in a movie. I've never seen a movie Melissa McCarthy is in unless you count Go, and I only found out she was in that yesterday when looking her up on imdb. I've had a little more exposure to the others from SNL clips.

  • JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    Fair enough. There was definitely a lot of MRA bullshit involved (and still is), but some of it was fair too. Polygon just released an article about how the misogyny and ensuing backlash have made it difficult to criticize it fairly, publicly.
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    Seriously. Bad remakes get made all the time, and sure the trailers definitely didn't look great (My wife and I gave a resounding 'ehhhh' after watching them)

    But good lord, the sheer vitriol spewed all over the internet about this movie made the consistent 'I don't hate women, but' comments ring largely of 'Its all about ethics in journalism'

    TMNT's reboot got a ton of backlash but you're right, it wasn't as nasty or disgusting. Plus it was probably more deserved, given Michael Bay being awful and Paul Feig/Melissa McCarthy having a pretty good track record.

    That same Polygon article makes the good point that AVGN's criticism would've been more valid if he hadn't gone ahead and seen/reviewed TMNT too (which he did in his very next video).
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/13/12173660/ghostbusters-criticism-anger

    Jibba on
    Harry Dresdenphysi_marc
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Jibba wrote: »
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    Fair enough. There was definitely a lot of MRA bullshit involved (and still is), but some of it was fair too. Polygon just released an article about how the misogyny and ensuing backlash have made it difficult to criticize it fairly, publicly.
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    Seriously. Bad remakes get made all the time, and sure the trailers definitely didn't look great (My wife and I gave a resounding 'ehhhh' after watching them)

    But good lord, the sheer vitriol spewed all over the internet about this movie made the consistent 'I don't hate women, but' comments ring largely of 'Its all about ethics in journalism'

    TMNT's reboot got a ton of backlash but you're right, it wasn't as nasty or disgusting. Plus it was probably more deserved, given Michael Bay being awful and Paul Feig/Melissa McCarthy having a pretty good track record.

    That same Polygon article makes the good point that AVGN's criticism would've been more valid if he hadn't gone ahead and seen/reviewed TMNT too (which he did in his very next video).
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/13/12173660/ghostbusters-criticism-anger

    Was TMNT as much as a cultural touchstone for AVGN has Ghostbusters is? Hey I like TMNT and while I try not to watch any Bay films from the trailer I thought having more crap from the cartoon (which had its charm but still was a weird bastardization of the violent comics) was a nice touch for a film I will end up never seeing.

    darkmayo on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Was TMNT as much as a cultural touchstone for AVGN has Ghostbusters is? Hey I like TMNT and while I try not to watch any Bay films from the trailer I thought having more crap from the cartoon (which had its charm but still was a weird bastardization of the violent comics) was a nice touch for a film I will end up never seeing.

    It arguably has a higher profile than Ghostbusters. GB has been dormant as a mainstream sensation for decades, minus the Xtreme cartoon - which is very obscure. to begin with.

  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Was TMNT as much as a cultural touchstone for AVGN has Ghostbusters is? Hey I like TMNT and while I try not to watch any Bay films from the trailer I thought having more crap from the cartoon (which had its charm but still was a weird bastardization of the violent comics) was a nice touch for a film I will end up never seeing.

    It arguably has a higher profile than Ghostbusters. GB has been dormant as a mainstream sensation for decades, minus the Xtreme cartoon - which is very obscure. to begin with.

    to us yes, but to AVGN, from all I know that dude could give a rats ass about TMNT, but he loves the absolute shit outta Ghostbusters so why bust his chops about seeing another Baysplosion because he didn't want to see a soulless cash grab of Ghostbusters.


    Anyways I cant really speculate on the dudes thoughts so I guess its neither here nor there.

    Someone in the previous thread said the new GB wasn't just a parade of fart jokes and low brow comedy so that's a big plus.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    darkmayo wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Was TMNT as much as a cultural touchstone for AVGN has Ghostbusters is? Hey I like TMNT and while I try not to watch any Bay films from the trailer I thought having more crap from the cartoon (which had its charm but still was a weird bastardization of the violent comics) was a nice touch for a film I will end up never seeing.

    It arguably has a higher profile than Ghostbusters. GB has been dormant as a mainstream sensation for decades, minus the Xtreme cartoon - which is very obscure. to begin with.

    to us yes, but to AVGN, from all I know that dude could give a rats ass about TMNT, but he loves the absolute shit outta Ghostbusters so why bust his chops about seeing another Baysplosion because he didn't want to see a soulless cash grab of Ghostbusters.


    Anyways I cant really speculate on the dudes thoughts so I guess its neither here nor there.

    Someone in the previous thread said the new GB wasn't just a parade of fart jokes and low brow comedy so that's a big plus.

    Misread, thought you meant in general. Unfortunately for AVGN, even if I agreed with him (I don't) he puts himself into the meat grinder by doing a silly thing around a very sensitive and controversial subject. Whether it was unintentional or not, he made himself look like he sided with the anti-GB crowd, so I wasn't surprised at the backlash he got from it.

    Also, isn't he a professional reviewer? Shouldn't he be reviewing it, no matter what? And being a GB fan on top of that should be a bigger reason for him to see it. If it's a bad movie then he has actual ammunition to destroy it with a valid critique.

    edit: If GB is a cash grab TMNT's reboot beat it to that by years. The first movie was a pure cash grab.

    Harry Dresden on
    Lovely
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Was TMNT as much as a cultural touchstone for AVGN has Ghostbusters is? Hey I like TMNT and while I try not to watch any Bay films from the trailer I thought having more crap from the cartoon (which had its charm but still was a weird bastardization of the violent comics) was a nice touch for a film I will end up never seeing.

    It arguably has a higher profile than Ghostbusters. GB has been dormant as a mainstream sensation for decades, minus the Xtreme cartoon - which is very obscure. to begin with.

    to us yes, but to AVGN, from all I know that dude could give a rats ass about TMNT, but he loves the absolute shit outta Ghostbusters so why bust his chops about seeing another Baysplosion because he didn't want to see a soulless cash grab of Ghostbusters.


    Anyways I cant really speculate on the dudes thoughts so I guess its neither here nor there.

    Someone in the previous thread said the new GB wasn't just a parade of fart jokes and low brow comedy so that's a big plus.

    Paul Feig also loves Ghostbusters and calling the remake a soulless cash-grab is such an uncharitable reading.
    Not just because it seems like everyone involved loves the property, but also because the movie is filled with souls!

    Souls of the dead.

    ... Ghosts.

    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    TheBlackWindLovelySiskabowennaengwenElvenshaeDarkPrimuscB557Kalnaur
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Was TMNT as much as a cultural touchstone for AVGN has Ghostbusters is? Hey I like TMNT and while I try not to watch any Bay films from the trailer I thought having more crap from the cartoon (which had its charm but still was a weird bastardization of the violent comics) was a nice touch for a film I will end up never seeing.

    It arguably has a higher profile than Ghostbusters. GB has been dormant as a mainstream sensation for decades, minus the Xtreme cartoon - which is very obscure. to begin with.

    to us yes, but to AVGN, from all I know that dude could give a rats ass about TMNT, but he loves the absolute shit outta Ghostbusters so why bust his chops about seeing another Baysplosion because he didn't want to see a soulless cash grab of Ghostbusters.


    Anyways I cant really speculate on the dudes thoughts so I guess its neither here nor there.

    Someone in the previous thread said the new GB wasn't just a parade of fart jokes and low brow comedy so that's a big plus.

    Misread, thought you meant in general. Unfortunately for AVGN, even if I agreed with him (I don't) he puts himself into the meat grinder by doing a silly thing around a very sensitive and controversial subject. Whether it was unintentional or not, he made himself look like he sided with the anti-GB crowd, so I wasn't surprised at the backlash he got from it.

    Also, isn't he a professional reviewer? Shouldn't he be reviewing it, no matter what? And being a GB fan on top of that should be a bigger reason for him to see it. If it's a bad movie then he has actual ammunition to destroy it with a valid critique.

    edit: If GB is a cash grab TMNT's reboot beat it to that by years. The first movie was a pure cash grab.

    Eh,. not like he reports to an editor, he can review or not review whatever the hell he feels like its his show. He should be able to say so regardless if people try to lump him into the same crowd as the mouth foaming misogynists. I thought his video explained his reasons relatively well and at no point did I get the impression that he wasn't seeing it because of the female cast.

    override36738thDoePLA
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Jibba wrote: »
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    Fair enough. There was definitely a lot of MRA bullshit involved (and still is), but some of it was fair too. Polygon just released an article about how the misogyny and ensuing backlash have made it difficult to criticize it fairly, publicly.
    Jibba wrote: »
    The trailers got a controversial response due to the main characters being women.

    C'mon now. It was just a terrible trailer that showcased (hopefully) all the slapsticky moments, and the original wasn't a slapstick comedy. The fan recut trailer was pretty universally acclaimed.

    True. However, this got blown out of proportion by asshole MRA's/anti-feminists, that reaction is what made it controversial. And breaking a record for being disliked on You Tube? I agree the trailers were terrible, but it's not that bad.

    Seriously. Bad remakes get made all the time, and sure the trailers definitely didn't look great (My wife and I gave a resounding 'ehhhh' after watching them)

    But good lord, the sheer vitriol spewed all over the internet about this movie made the consistent 'I don't hate women, but' comments ring largely of 'Its all about ethics in journalism'

    TMNT's reboot got a ton of backlash but you're right, it wasn't as nasty or disgusting. Plus it was probably more deserved, given Michael Bay being awful and Paul Feig/Melissa McCarthy having a pretty good track record.

    That same Polygon article makes the good point that AVGN's criticism would've been more valid if he hadn't gone ahead and seen/reviewed TMNT too (which he did in his very next video).
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/13/12173660/ghostbusters-criticism-anger

    AVGN's criticism didn't even mention the gender of the new ghostbusters, he just said he didn't want to see the movie

    people aren't obliged to give Sony money, it's a movie, an entertainment vehicle created to add profit to a giant corporation. People are acting like seeing it is supporting feminism, you would be infinitely better off donating $10 to any feminist charity

    I don't even watch his dumb channel but that really seemed reaching

    override367 on
    bowenHexmage-PANobody38thDoearmageddonbound
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    It's safe to say both franchises have been cash grabs ever since their first sequels

    steam_sig.png
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    It's safe to say both franchises have been cash grabs ever since their first sequels

    other than art house films and maybe some indie projects that's a safe bet for the entire Hollywood film industry.

    darkmayo on
    override367FroThulhuElvenshaeMulletudeJeanPLA
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Eh,. not like he reports to an editor, he can review or not review whatever the hell he feels like its his show. He should be able to say so regardless if people try to lump him into the same crowd as the mouth foaming misogynists. I thought his video explained his reasons relatively well and at no point did I get the impression that he wasn't seeing it because of the female cast.

    That's fair. I'm not saying he belongs in that crowd, either. It's that how he did it gave that impression to many people and he hasn't taken it off completely. That's why if a You Tube personality gets involved like that while a situation like the GB controversy is going on, it has to be very delicately - or he's going to in his own little controversial shit storm. Or not done at all.

    darkmayoAngelHedgieFencingsax
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    It's safe to say both franchises have been cash grabs ever since their first sequels

    other than art house films and maybe some indie projects that's a safe bet for the entire Hollywood film industry.

    Faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttt

    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    darkmayoDiannaoChongElvenshaePLA
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    It's safe to say both franchises have been cash grabs ever since their first sequels

    other than art house films and maybe some indie projects that's a safe bet for the entire Hollywood film industry.

    Eh

    Maybe to the company's board of directors, but projects that are intended to make bucket loads of money can still have a large amount of passionate people on them working with the intent of making a great product that they want people to legitimately love. A movie intended to make money doesn't immediately mean soulless husk.

    darkmayoNSDFRandThe EndercB557Kalnaur
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Eh,. not like he reports to an editor, he can review or not review whatever the hell he feels like its his show. He should be able to say so regardless if people try to lump him into the same crowd as the mouth foaming misogynists. I thought his video explained his reasons relatively well and at no point did I get the impression that he wasn't seeing it because of the female cast.

    That's fair. I'm not saying he belongs in that crowd, either. It's that how he did it gave that impression to many people and he hasn't taken it off completely. That's why if a You Tube personality gets involved like that while a situation like the GB controversy is going on, it has to be very delicately - or he's going to in his own little controversial shit storm. Or not done at all.

    Agree completely and yea it sucks that he got lumped in with the mouthbreathers, he could have penned a better review to make it more clear but I am going to guess people who lumped him in weren't watching the full video anyways. Comic Girl 19 crapped on the trailers too and nobody gave a fuck about that.

    Id rather people say what they say instead of being afraid of being lumped in with the moron patrol, but its just a movie and not worth picking that as the hill to die on.

    Harry Dresden
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    It's safe to say both franchises have been cash grabs ever since their first sequels

    other than art house films and maybe some indie projects that's a safe bet for the entire Hollywood film industry.

    Faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttt

    Havelock2.0
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I may be in love with Jillian Holtzmann (Kate McKinnon's character). More precisely, she was playing exactly the same type of RPG character that my late wife used to play. There were a lot of awesome breakout scenes with her, like dancing with two blowtorches and fawning over tech toys.

    It was a funny and fun movie. It's definitely a Paul Feig take on Ghostbusters, but the coffee-table moment was far more poignant, especially if you've ever been bullied for being different. I thought Kristen Wiig sold that scene very well.

    I also like that Leslie Jones wasn't just the "token black person", but actually contributed to the group in a meaningful way that was completely different from the other three characters. She knew all about the trivia and the history of New York, which is definitely a geeky thing.

    The scenes with Chris Hemsworth being dumb as a rock got pretty old. I would have preferred a character that was beautiful, but quirky, rather than beautiful, but stupid. He had this really nice and disarming Dory-like "Hey, I'm pleased to meet you!" smile throughout the entire movie, even during the end sequence (which, for reasons that will become apparent if you see the movie, was a bit disturbing). That may just be Chris Hemsworth, though.

    The Mayor subplot was really dumb. Just pants-on-head dumb.

    I'm saddened that the dance sequence was relegated to the credits, and we didn't get to see a coordinated dance sequence at the end of the movie. However, that would probably lengthen the movie.

    Hahnsoo1 on
    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGen: Hahnsoo, FC: 4141-2384-3379
    ElvenshaeDiplominatorKalnaur
  • FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    I don't like his movies and this was no different. Oh well.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    I may be in love with Jillian Holtzmann (Kate McKinnon's character). More precisely, she was playing exactly the same type of RPG character that my late wife used to play. There were a lot of awesome breakout scenes with her, like dancing with two blowtorches and fawning over tech toys.

    Glad to hear, she's my favorite character in the trailers. Stealing scenes without saying a word. Haven't seen McKinnon in anything before this, I do know she was in SNL.

    Dark Raven X
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    I may be in love with Jillian Holtzmann (Kate McKinnon's character). More precisely, she was playing exactly the same type of RPG character that my late wife used to play. There were a lot of awesome breakout scenes with her, like dancing with two blowtorches and fawning over tech toys.

    Glad to hear, she's my favorite character in the trailers. Stealing scenes without saying a word. Haven't seen McKinnon in anything before this, I do know she was in SNL.

    She's always great on SNL, even with the (as has always been true of SNL) spotty nature of the material they provide.

    Dark Raven XsouthwickSiskaHeirAtlas in ChainsCobell
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Saw it. Liked it! Which makes me happy as the original is my favourite movie of all time and I was gutted when the first trailer looked so terrible.

    Myself and my best friend have a tradition of watching Ghostbusters every Halloween and Ghostbusters 2 every New Year's Eve. We'll have to figure out a day to watch this one now.

    Doctor_Who_Starry_Night_Sig.png [ Twitter] [Avatar by Stephen Byrne]
    Frankiedarling
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    If you look at IMDB right now, 83% of the raters are male who give this movie an average rating of 3.9. Where as women give this movie an average of 7.7. Of the total reviewers, 47% of the raters gave it a "1". To put that into perspective, "Movie 43" earned a 4.4 rating from male reviewers, and 4.1 from female reviews.

    Meanwhile, 73% of critics believe that this movie is worth seeing. But I have a hard time believing that the 47% of movie reviewers who gave this movie a "1" actually paid money to see it on opening day. Presumably, the people predisposed to give this movie a "1" would have also hated the trailer.

    Now, fake ratings will happen for every movie. People enjoy beating a dead horse. But again, look at "Movie 43": It was universally panned by critics, but only 19% of raters give it a "1". Also, that movie has been out for many years, so people are a lot more likely to have watched it free on cable or something.

    So in a nutshell... sexism.

    Of course, a lot of protesters who genuinely dislike the movie will protest accusations of sexism. And that's bullshit "NotAllMen" reasoning. Here's the deal: If I complain about rampant racism against black people committed by the police, it is not helpful for a police officer to chime in with, "Hey, I'm a police officer, and there are times when black people deserve to get arrested for non-racist reasons!" That is not helpful. People aren't saying that you can't dislike this movie for non-sexist reasons. They're saying, "Holy shit, there's a huge sexism problem here. You might not be a part of that problem personally, but instead of making this about you, can you acknowledge that the problem exists? Thanks."

    AngelHedgieJubal77Harry DresdenLovelyFencingsaxWassermeloneMaclayGennenalyse RuebenAegeriLocal H JayTubularLuggageDarkPrimusNartwakMoridin889mageormikeNightslyrcB557Kalnaur
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I don't have rose colored glasses when it comes to 80s movies. They were not any form of high art. I am not afraid to say I giggled at the trailers and will go watch it. As it looks to be along the very same vein as the original.

    Lovely
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    If you look at IMDB right now, 83% of the raters are male who give this movie an average rating of 3.9. Where as women give this movie an average of 7.7. Of the total reviewers, 47% of the raters gave it a "1". To put that into perspective, "Movie 43" earned a 4.4 rating from male reviewers, and 4.1 from female reviews.

    Meanwhile, 73% of critics believe that this movie is worth seeing. But I have a hard time believing that the 47% of movie reviewers who gave this movie a "1" actually paid money to see it on opening day. Presumably, the people predisposed to give this movie a "1" would have also hated the trailer.

    Now, fake ratings will happen for every movie. People enjoy beating a dead horse. But again, look at "Movie 43": It was universally panned by critics, but only 19% of raters give it a "1". Also, that movie has been out for many years, so people are a lot more likely to have watched it free on cable or something.

    So in a nutshell... sexism.

    Of course, a lot of protesters who genuinely dislike the movie will protest accusations of sexism. And that's bullshit "NotAllMen" reasoning. Here's the deal: If I complain about rampant racism against black people committed by the police, it is not helpful for a police officer to chime in with, "Hey, I'm a police officer, and there are times when black people deserve to get arrested for non-racist reasons!" That is not helpful. People aren't saying that you can't dislike this movie for non-sexist reasons. They're saying, "Holy shit, there's a huge sexism problem here. You might not be a part of that problem personally, but instead of making this about you, can you acknowledge that the problem exists? Thanks."

    So if you don't like the movie for actual movie related reasons then you should just keep your opinion to yourself because of the douchebags who hate the movie because of the female cast? Or are people allowed to comment about it if they make mention of the douchepatrol that hates the film because of the "dirty SJW and women"?

    TexiKendispatch.oNSDFRandgjaustinNobodyjungleroomxThe DeliveratorElvenshaearmageddonbound
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I don't have rose colored glasses when it comes to 80s movies. They were not any form of high art. I am not afraid to say I giggled at the trailers and will go watch it. As it looks to be along the very same vein as the original.

    And the implications. 80's movies have fucked up morals.

    Harry Dresden on
    Jubal77darkmayoFencingsaxGennenalyse RuebenmageormikeKalnaur
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I don't have rose colored glasses when it comes to 80s movies. They were not any form of high art. I am not afraid to say I giggled at the trailers and will go watch it. As it looks to be along the very same vein as the original.

    And the implications. 80's movies have fucked up morals.

    yea its pretty amazing how much has changed in regards to what was "Acceptable" back then and what is now. I still love me some 80s films.

    Harry Dresdendispatch.oFencingsax
  • TexiKenTexiKen A New Chapter Begins LondonRegistered User regular
    This whole "shut up if you think differently from me" is getting pretty disgusting.

    Rpaq1uC.jpg
    Frankiedarlingdispatch.occkerberosNSDFRandgjaustinDesktop HippieHeirNobodyjungleroomxFroThulhuElvenshaeDissociaterBrainiac 8NoughtTOGSolidarmageddonbound
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Think of it like this. If the discussion is generally about "what are your feelings on the trailers" its perfectly fine to say why you didn't like them. But if the discussion is about the sexism surrounding dislike of the movie/trailer then just how valuable is the replies of "I'm not sexist, I just don't like the trailer" "not everyone who disliked the trailers is sexist"... Because we know this already, we know its not all that, but we are talking about the replies and comments and vitriol spewed that is.

    I've seen more attempts to straight up either downplay the sexism or to outright think it cant be sexism.

    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    LovelyMaclayKalnaur
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So if you don't like the movie for actual movie related reasons then you should just keep your opinion to yourself because of the douchebags who hate the movie because of the female cast? Or are people allowed to comment about it if they make mention of the douchepatrol that hates the film because of the "dirty SJW and women"?

    If women complain about sexual assault statistics on campus, are you going to complain that it must all be slutty liars because you've never personally assaulted anyone?

    Or are you going to acknowledge the problem as real even if you personally don't participate in it?

  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

    I just saw the movie.

    I loved it.

    My biggest/only complaint is that it felt like at least one critical second act scene was cut.

    Dinosaurs were made up by the CIA to discourage time travel
    steam_sig-400.png
    ElvenshaeSo It GoesKalnaurDidgeridoo
  • FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So if you don't like the movie for actual movie related reasons then you should just keep your opinion to yourself because of the douchebags who hate the movie because of the female cast? Or are people allowed to comment about it if they make mention of the douchepatrol that hates the film because of the "dirty SJW and women"?

    If women complain about sexual assault statistics on campus, are you going to complain that it must all be slutty liars because you've never personally assaulted anyone?

    Or are you going to acknowledge the problem as real even if you personally don't participate in it?

    .....you guys do realize we're talking about a movie, right?

    Any particular reason we're dragging in BLM and Rape?

    HeirjungleroomxTexiKenNought
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So if you don't like the movie for actual movie related reasons then you should just keep your opinion to yourself because of the douchebags who hate the movie because of the female cast? Or are people allowed to comment about it if they make mention of the douchepatrol that hates the film because of the "dirty SJW and women"?

    If women complain about sexual assault statistics on campus, are you going to complain that it must all be slutty liars because you've never personally assaulted anyone?

    Or are you going to acknowledge the problem as real even if you personally don't participate in it?

    In the context on this thread who are you having this conversation with. I guarantee there isnt anyone here that doesn't a knowledge that there is crowd of loud assholes who are spewing hate and down voting because "women".

    Harry DresdenAegeriElvenshae
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So if you don't like the movie for actual movie related reasons then you should just keep your opinion to yourself because of the douchebags who hate the movie because of the female cast? Or are people allowed to comment about it if they make mention of the douchepatrol that hates the film because of the "dirty SJW and women"?

    If women complain about sexual assault statistics on campus, are you going to complain that it must all be slutty liars because you've never personally assaulted anyone?

    Or are you going to acknowledge the problem as real even if you personally don't participate in it?

    .....you guys do realize we're talking about a movie, right?

    Any particular reason we're dragging in BLM and Rape?

    Movies aren't exempt from being tied into society's problems, in-universe or outside of it. In this movie's case it's the audience reaction that here this comes in. The horrific nature of the problem relate to women's issues, and race is a similar theme.

«13456727
Sign In or Register to comment.