As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I notice though that nothing from other dimensions ever seems to find our world horribly unlivable. We go to some other dimension and we're breathing acid, we hate it. They come here and they love it. The eldritch abomination never slithers through the portal and then immediately suffocates, or explodes because the gravity is all wrong. They're gonna make this place their dang summer home.

Reaching kinda far back here but From a Buick 8 is a novel by Stephen King that deals with this.
    A group of small town state troopers have a car that looks sorta like an old 58 Buick in a shed, the car is a conduit between dimensions (because of course it is) and over the course of the story several things go from our dimension to the other. Most of the stuff that comes out of the Buick from the other dimension into ours dies almost immediately, one creature is described as "wrong" in the "completely alien" sense, and one of their dogs bites it and ends up puking out its own guts before dying.

"Cthulhu dies by super-bends from ascending too fast" would be an anticlimax.

I remember one of the old Choose Your Own Adventure books had a similar idea: you come upon an alien in medical distress on Earth, and the story involves trying to save it. In one of the endings you follow it back to its homeworld and find that its atmosphere is essentially all petrochemical fumes and the rivers run with toxic sludge. The alien celebrates, but you immediately keel over, and the last thing you see is alien paramedics helpfully rushing towards you with canisters of carbon monoxide and a face mask.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I fell in love with this show just because of the opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2DOU8n54s

It's like John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China soundtrack distilled into perfection and injected right in your eyeballs.

I really like this collection of music (only two from the show, but the others were picked for having a similar vibe), it also shows up in the suggestions for the video you linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6x2pz6aRLU

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Writing standards gave changed since Orson Wells' time. Back then, having these great monsters felled by sickness wasn't some anticlimax, it was one unknown beating another.

That doesn't apply here. We know nothing about the Upside Down other than that it is spreading. Who knows if what we were told by the spooks was true or not.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I fell in love with this show just because of the opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2DOU8n54s

It's like John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China soundtrack distilled into perfection and injected right in your eyeballs.

Hey, I don't want to dictate how you listen to music or anything but... generally, you don't... inject it into your eyeballs...

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hey, I don't want to dictate how you listen to music or anything but... generally, you don't... inject it into your eyeballs...

Oh sure, you just keep listening to your human music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4k1IK_o59M

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I just finished this yesterday, now I'm making my way through the thread and enjoying all the comments. Just to resurrect a couple of long dead posts...
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    There were only ever one thing that rang "untrue" with me about the show, and it seems FCH had a lot more of that.

That was the police chief going right to the facility without telling anyone, even the mother, after discovering the body was fake. I honestly couldn't buy it the way the show sold it, that he never even seemed to consider the possibility and was risking letting the whole thing go undiscovered.

It almost happened again with the whole "entering the tree without even signaling she'd found the portal", but at that point I was beginning to feel the upside down had this weird pull on people, because it felt like they'd grown pretty distant despite being next to each other just before she found that it just registered as an intentionally weird thing.

Everything else always felt adequately emotionally motivated, if not logically motivated, which is fine for a show in which the characters are obviously driven more by emotions than cold hard logic. The characters did plenty of things that were outright stupid, but unlike in many horror shows it always felt like they had an adequate emotional justification to being stupid in terms of their personal priorities.

The thing to me about Hopper was that this whole missing child mystery is hugely shaped by his own failure to save his daughter.
    He's been on a multi-year campaign of self destruction ever since.

So when he realizes the body is fake, and that therefore Will is still out there somewhere, he's reliving his own trauma with his daughter. He calls up his ex-wife before he leaves to the research facility to make nice, because he's resolved to either save Will or die. He's already self-destructive, now he's been presented the opportunity to go on a suicide mission and he jumps at it. He doesn't inform the other cops because, well OK A) to be fair to Hopper from what we've seen the other cops are useless as fuck, but also B) because he's not necessarily trying to maximize his chances of victory in the first place.

Which is why him getting drugged and returned home instead works so well for his character. He's denied the kamikaze death he was sorta kinda seeking, and that failure forces him to take a step back and instead finally actually start working with other people again. And he becomes so fixated on saving Will that he is willing to sell out Eleven to do so. He's reliving his own trauma vicariously through Will's mom, and as long as she gets her kid back he's willing to do whatever it takes.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'd say Stranger Things has one of the best, most distinctive soundtracks I've heard for a pretty long time. Not only is it exquisitely well-crafted to match the period, it is bathed in a feeling of building action and spooky otherworldness.

My sister convinced me to watch the show and the intro theme alone had me immediately and irrevocably hooked on the series.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    As a general policy, I don't tend to watch trailers. They either tend to spoil plot points, or make the movie seem better than they are, and so the general viewing experience is lessened for me when I finally see it.

But OMIGOSH, AWESOME! Seriously, with the exception of Dirk Gently, this is the show I'm wanting to see above all others.

Though I'll reiterate a statement I made last year, if Copper Hopper doesn't adopt Eleven by the end of the season, I'm gonna riot. Sure, that riot will probably be just me throwing a tantrum in my room, and maybe sending NetFlix a "You suck!" email, but a riot all the same.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    October 27th can not come quickly enough.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I didn't see it mentioned here, but Netflix put out a free Stranger Things game for iOS and Android that seems to take place between S1 and S2. It's a top-down adventure game ala NES Zelda, with a bunch of unlockable characters to help you solve dungeon puzzles.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    If you like the Stranger Things theme song, check the genre "outrun" seminal album that popularized it was the soundtrack to Drive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    If you like the Stranger Things theme song, check the genre "outrun" seminal album that popularized it was the soundtrack to Drive.

Kavinky's Outrun? Yeah, that's a good album. The song that was used in Drive ("Nightcall") is actually kind of the outlier of the album, which is quite energetic.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I didn't see it mentioned here, but Netflix put out a free Stranger Things game for iOS and Android that seems to take place between S1 and S2. It's a top-down adventure game ala NES Zelda, with a bunch of unlockable characters to help you solve dungeon puzzles.

Is it good?

sig.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    As a general policy, I don't tend to watch trailers. They either tend to spoil plot points, or make the movie seem better than they are, and so the general viewing experience is lessened for me when I finally see it.

But OMIGOSH, AWESOME! Seriously, with the exception of Dirk Gently, this is the show I'm wanting to see above all others.

Though I'll reiterate a statement I made last year, if Copper Hopper doesn't adopt Eleven by the end of the season, I'm gonna riot. Sure, that riot will probably be just me throwing a tantrum in my room, and maybe sending NetFlix a "You suck!" email, but a riot all the same.

SAY WHAT?!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Why don't you just ask the Jehova's Witnesses to come in while you're at it?

'Cause he will preach the Good Word about that show.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

SAY WHAT?!
    You heard me!

I stand by my statement. Bart is awesome. And the rest of the show is pretty darn good.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Is it good?

I liked it a lot. Each "dungeon" has a new character to unlock and new puzzles to solve. Haven't finished it as there is a lot to collect.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    This thread made me queue up some s u r v i v e this evening and I am now suitable squicked out on Friday the 13th

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I suppose this thread will be really revving up again soon!

My wife and I finally watched season 1. We started it last Monday and finished it tonight, which is record time for us. Obviously, we enjoyed it! I don't have much to add to the pages of discussion here.

One thing I couldn't do was click on the "Skip Intro" button that appeared during the title sequence in every episode. It just seemed wrong to skip over that soundtrack.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I wish you could switch that button off...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Too much good stuff coming out.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Oh noooo, I did a rewatch of season 1 to prepare for 2, watching an episode a night, but it turns out there were only 8 episodes, not 10, so now I have two thingless days to wait.

broken image link
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Oh noooo, I did a rewatch of season 1 to prepare for 2, watching an episode a night, but it turns out there were only 8 episodes, not 10, so now I have two thingless days to wait.

The first episode of the second season of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is free on the BBC America app.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

The first episode of the second season of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is free on the BBC America app.

Dangit America, why do you get all the cool things first?

broken image link
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    All of the spoiler-free reviews for season 2 have been pretty good. Sounds like it might start off a little slower this time.

I'm actually impressed at how much my wife is looking forward to it. Normally she wants to take a break from a show after watching a season of a show, but I think we'll be diving right in tomorrow night.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    100% binging the season this weekend. Here's the spotify playlist for Season 2 to get you in the mood:

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DXc3KPAjGyPdm

There's also a little spoopy effect that they do while listening to it to help promote. Pretty neat.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So if you go to the Stranger Things page through your browser there is a countdown for the new season. There is also a link that takes you to an upside down version of your Netflix browser. I don't know if there are any easter eggs there because I was murdered.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok I'm three episodes into the new season and it's so good, folks.

So good.

broken image link
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    All of the spoiler-free reviews for season 2 have been pretty good. Sounds like it might start off a little slower this time.

I'm actually impressed at how much my wife is looking forward to it. Normally she wants to take a break from a show after watching a season of a show, but I think we'll be diving right in tomorrow night.

Starts off way faster imo

Season 1 was a pretty slow burn before things blew up

Season 2 hasn't been an inferno of holy shit or anything but so far after two episodes it feels like big things are happening much more quickly

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I'd say overall it's much faster, but there are a few individual story lines where I feel like they could pick up the pace a little.

But regardless, it's so very good.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Tiny ep 2 spoiler
    presumptuous.... its good right?

:biggrin:

Lind on
  • Options
    Dustin continues to be the best.

broken image link
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Not sure if directors are spoilers, but...
    Holy Shit! Andrew Stanton directed 2 of these episodes!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Episode 8 spoiler and realization
    Oh, so that's why they got Paul Reiser. Aliens.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Is it good?

I liked it a lot. Each "dungeon" has a new character to unlock and new puzzles to solve. Haven't finished it as there is a lot to collect.

You got me started on it, too. It's good! I love the 80s NES game look, the 8-bit music is giving me childhood flashbacks. And the game has a nice Zelda exploration vibe going on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cannot wait to tear into this over the weekend.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Minor spoilers of episode 1, mainly down to new characters introduced

love that they're keeping the aesthetic real with the timeframe, all of the original cast are fun to see again, Nancy looks great rockin that Justine Bateman Famiy Ties hair, but holy hell that opening chase was cringe and felt like it was made by a modern day emo. Go on get, get out of here in this nice 80's environment, emo!

And I'm really really hoping they do something with Max that isn't cliched as fuck as her character is this episode (the same way they made Steve worthwhile), because she feels like a checkbox of hella worn out ideas.

Paul Reiser, you're a nice addition along with Rudy but please don't be like Burke, you come across like Burke. Is the Upside Down LV-426 ?

And Mr. Mom is perfect.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Watching episode 1 now and I'm all, "Who's this knockoff Sean Astin?"

:redface:

• Options
    The number of licensed musical cues in the first episode is ridiculous. I literally stopped trying to count them because they were so piled on top of each other.