As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Choose your own adventure books were the BEST

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I still say we could all get rich if we made some choose your own adventure erotica

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I still say we could all get rich if we made some choose your own adventure erotica

Someone's already making videos like that.

So I've heard..

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2016
    I liked this show more than any show in recent time.

Non spoilery thoughts:
    1. The intro song is dope as fucking shit. Mmmm what a good intro song.
    2. Winona Ryder, known to me only from Alien 3, was surprisingly totally epic. What a performance!
    3. This was a really good show.

Edit: It's Alien 4 but who's counting.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Casting Wynona was possibly the most 80's thing about the show

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

She's the right age to have been Eleven.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Honk wrote: »
    I liked this show more than any show in recent time.

Non spoilery thoughts:
    1. The intro song is dope as fucking shit. Mmmm what a good intro song.
    2. Winona Ryder, known to me only from Alien 3, was surprisingly totally epic. What a performance!
    3. This was a really good show.

Edit: It's Alien 4 but who's counting.

@Honk watch Beetlejuice and Heathers bro

If you liked this there are p good odds that you will like those

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular

Matthew Modine is pretty damn 80s too.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Kid actors on this show were really good

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Full season spoilers
    i don't think el is holding the gate closed? Will/hop/Winona were all deep inside the upside down when el killed the monster. They wouldn't have been able to get out otherwise

Unless he and Winona saw her on the way out and that's how he knows she's alive? Seems really unlikely

Also I don't really understand why the teenagers were able to wound the monster but 30 guys with machine guns couldn't

I've explains before....DnD rules
    It was was immune to piercing but not blunt
    I kind of figured that maybe it isn't really a three dimensional being, so maybe what looks like a deep penetrating bullet would to us is more like a scrape to it. So fire is still somewhat effective because the heat can spread in every direction, even the ones we can't perceive.

The thing I find odd is
    that it didn't seem to be bulletproof. At both the Byers' house and in the school it looked to me like there were spouts of black ichor when it was shot.

General gripe about sci fi action movies in general (and not really a gripe just an observation)
    From Stargate to Stranger Things

Good god bring something bigger than 9mm! You wouldn't go bear hunting with a 9mm, if there's an alien in play bring high caliber rifles, shotguns, and maybe a flamethrower or two for good measure!

If those fail, and if possible, keep a few shoulder fired missile launchers and rotory grenade launchers around

Ironically I have to give Michael Bay of all people credit for this, in Transformers the military kept throwing different kinds of weaponry at the horrifying alien robots until they found something that worked

again that's not actually a gripe, especially in this show where they were
    seemingly taking all measures to avoid the creature, the 9mms were because they were for use against any people who got in their way

override367 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Welp this sure is a show I watched all of in two days

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Do I have to turn in my man card if I cried a bit in the last episode?

Just checking. For reasons.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Do I have to turn in my man card if I cried a bit in the last episode?

Just checking. For reasons.

no such thing you're in the clear

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I was legitimately surprised in the beginning when...
    the diner cook was killed. I could already see the "tough guy with a heart of gold" trope coming into play, but then BLAM!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Loved this. Finished it last night. Think my favourite part was
    the fourth wall break at the end where the kids are complaining that the campaign seemed too short, what about the knight (hopper) the princess (elle) and the weird flowers in the strange garden (either the egg on the upside down or the weird breeding ground)

One thing I think I missed though was when the government woman went and met with the science teacher. What was the point of that?

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    the fourth wall break at the end where the kids are complaining that the campaign seemed too short, what about the knight (hopper) the princess (elle) and the weird flowers in the strange garden (either the egg on the upside down or the weird breeding ground)

One thing I think I missed though was when the government woman went and met with the science teacher. What was the point of that?

She needed names of kids who had access to radio equipment

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

She was trying to find out who the kids were. They'd seen the burnt out ham radio set at the school and knew Elle had been there. They also knew the science teacher was the one in charge of the radio. So they assumed Elle had been brought there by kids the science teacher knew, and went to trick him into handing over their names by pretending to be looking for young enthusiasts who would be perfect candidates for their fake organization she was pretending to be from.

Ketar on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

The G-Men knew Eleven was with nerdy kids so they approached the science teacher to find out who the nerdy kids were.

• Options
    One of my favorite scenes comes towards the end of the season...
    when the kids call up their science teacher Mr. Clarke to ask about alternate dimensions. Not only does he interrupt his date to discuss theoretical quantum mechanics, he drops some D&D knowledge like it ain't no thang.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    One of my favorite scenes comes towards the end of the season...
    when the kids call up their science teacher Mr. Clarke to ask about alternate dimensions. Not only does he interrupt his date to discuss theoretical quantum mechanics, he drops some D&D knowledge like it ain't no thang.

they called him
    to ask how to build a sensory deprevation tank

the D&D discussion was earlier

science teacher was awesome though

override367 on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Mr Clark is the greatest nerd teacher ever to be put to screen. I think he was my favorite character.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Mr Clark is the greatest nerd teacher ever to be put to screen. I think he was my favorite character.

Yea loved that dude, was worried in that one scene.
    When the woman visits him to find out who has access to the radio equipment, was like.. NOOO don't kill the teacher.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

Yea loved that dude, was worried in that one scene.
    When the woman visits him to find out who has access to the radio equipment, was like.. NOOO don't kill the teacher.
    Especially since it was the same woman that killed the diner cook.

"Oh no, not Mr. Clarke too!"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Oh man. Ep1 spoiler
    I had Benny the cook pegged as an "endgame adult" right away and was excited because he reminded me of my dad, but then he got Game of Thones'd. :bigfrown:

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Finale moment for me:
    OMG, that kiss! And Eleven's reaction to it!

Also Steve twirling the nail bat got a chuckle out of me.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm frightened with where the show would go next.
    It could take place with a new setting and story each season, and while that could be awesome, I'm going to be heartbroken if that's the case.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Cantido wrote: »
    It could take place with a new setting and story each season, and while that could be awesome, I'm going to be heartbroken if that's the case.

I read an interview that said they were planning on sticking with the same setting

if they get a second season

ObiFett on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I read an interview that said they were planning on sticking with the same setting

Not only sticking with the current setting, but continued to be told from the current characters perspectives.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

Not only sticking with the current setting, but continued to be told from the current characters perspectives.

Like do it in early 90s where all the kids are young adults now

• Options
    Never mind the 90s were the worst

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    So I watched this show over the course of last week, and I have some long, rambling, and very personal thoughts on it. Writing them down seemed like a good idea, and this seemed like a good place to do it.
    This show was basically made for me. The small town horror that Stephen King is so masterful at creating is one of the reasons I pursued a degree in writing in college. I love those types of stories, and I want to be able to tell them some day. Twin Peaks, Alan Wake, Salem's Lot, Gravity Falls, and the X-Files are my jam.

What I wanted to specifically address though is that the finale hit me like a fucking freight train. When i was 19 (I'm 27 now) my mom (a single mother) died of pancreatic cancer after fighting for a year. Having a character dying of cancer is an easy way to immediately make me sad (looking at you Guardians of the Galaxy), because even with all the time that has passed it feels like something I'm not ever supposed to be OK with. It's always a fresh scab. So everything about Chief Hopper's backstory floored me. Every flashback was very painful to watch, but i thought they did an excellent job of weaving the loss of his daughter in with trying to save Will.

Somehow that wasn't even the worst of it though. Having to watch Eleven go out in a blaze of glory to save Mike and the others super sucked. I don't even mind melancholy or dark endings. The Thing, The Mist, and Drag Me to Hell are all movies I think have great endings.

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but something about Eleven sacrificing herself makes me profoundly sad in a way I haven't felt since Steve Zissou found the jaguar shark. The Life Aquatic was a movie I saw after my mom passed, and it's movie about two grown men trying to find themselves after the loss of a loved one (including one who lost their mother to cancer!). I wouldn't even consider it to be one of Wes Anderson's best films, but it's the only time I've been truly touched and left to reflect on my own life by a piece of media, and Stranger Things has evoked similar feelings in me.

As I said above I don't mind a dark ending, but I need Eleven to get her happy ending. I'm glad season 2 is revisiting these characters because I'm hoping she gets left in a better place next time.

So yeah. I know I took a pretty deep dive in this spoiler tag, but this show hit some very personal notes for me, and I really wanted to get my feelings out there.

• Options
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    So I watched this show over the course of last week, and I have some long, rambling, and very personal thoughts on it. Writing them down seemed like a good idea, and this seemed like a good place to do it.
    This show was basically made for me. The small town horror that Stephen King is so masterful at creating is one of the reasons I pursued a degree in writing in college. I love those types of stories, and I want to be able to tell them some day. Twin Peaks, Alan Wake, Salem's Lot, Gravity Falls, and the X-Files are my jam.

What I wanted to specifically address though is that the finale hit me like a fucking freight train. When i was 19 (I'm 27 now) my mom (a single mother) died of pancreatic cancer after fighting for a year. Having a character dying of cancer is an easy way to immediately make me sad (looking at you Guardians of the Galaxy), because even with all the time that has passed it feels like something I'm not ever supposed to be OK with. It's always a fresh scab. So everything about Chief Hopper's backstory floored me. Every flashback was very painful to watch, but i thought they did an excellent job of weaving the loss of his daughter in with trying to save Will.

Somehow that wasn't even the worst of it though. Having to watch Eleven go out in a blaze of glory to save Mike and the others super sucked. I don't even mind melancholy or dark endings. The Thing, The Mist, and Drag Me to Hell are all movies I think have great endings.

I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but something about Eleven sacrificing herself makes me profoundly sad in a way I haven't felt since Steve Zissou found the jaguar shark. The Life Aquatic was a movie I saw after my mom passed, and it's movie about two grown men trying to find themselves after the loss of a loved one (including one who lost their mother to cancer!). I wouldn't even consider it to be one of Wes Anderson's best films, but it's the only time I've been truly touched and left to reflect on my own life by a piece of media, and Stranger Things has evoked similar feelings in me.

As I said above I don't mind a dark ending, but I need Eleven to get her happy ending. I'm glad season 2 is revisiting these characters because I'm hoping she gets left in a better place next time.

So yeah. I know I took a pretty deep dive in this spoiler tag, but this show hit some very personal notes for me, and I really wanted to get my feelings out there.

The ending seems to indicate
    eleven is still alive somewhere since Hopper was specifically leaving eggos in that food cache

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Finale:
    Did Hopper sell out Eleven as part of his deal? Or didi I miss another bit where Brenner got her location from?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Finale:
    Did Hopper sell out Eleven as part of his deal? Or didi I miss another bit where Brenner got her location from?

He did yeah.

• Options
    I thought back on the finale:
    At the hospital close to the very end, Hopper gets in a car with some G-men. I wonder what happened there.

Since there's no follow up I guess they were like, "Bro, we all made some mistakes here. How about we just forget any of this happened aight?"

• Options

Videogames flourished and music died

• Options

A fair trade.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

A fair trade.

Metal didn't die, it was just sleepin'

• Options

A fair trade.

Metal didn't die, it was just sleepin'

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

hp-lovecraft-iron-maiden-live-after-death.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Finally finished this last night. I was watching it an episode or so a day, with family, which took quite a bit of willpower to not sneak and finish it when they weren't around.

Initial impressions are basically this:

1) "Nostalgia done right". ST seems like a kind of gestalt composite of a lot of 80's entertainment media, the sort of thing that a lot of entertainment back then was trying to be if not always achieving. Not just the big bigs that it modeled itself after, but a lot of minor stuff that is now forgotten, but still kicks around in the back of your brain when you think of movies and books from back then. The homages were subtle instead of showy and clever, and most importantly, they were organic, and never distracting.
    2) ST seems to be to its predecessors (Amblin-era Spielberg, 80's King, etc.) what Indiana Jones and Star Wars were to stuff like adventure serials and Flash Gordon. Weird stuff like that can happen fifty+ years into the postmodern era.
    3) The set dressing and attention to detail puts even Mad Men to shame, especially since it seems realistic, instead of overly stylized.
    4) Great job on the old-fashioned plot work where everybody has an arc and all the plot threads converge at the climax. A lot of post-2000s "mysterious" spec fiction series treat that sort of thing as an afterthought to obfuscating the viewer. Here, it was front and center, as it should be.
    5) All of the child and teenage actors were fantastic, and displayed a great deal of courage in committing long-term to atrocious haircuts.
    6) I liked how they didn't go overboard on gore and other forms of adult content, while not shying away from actual violence and death. The show is accessible for nearly any audience, even kids as young as the protagonists, provided they can handle the scares - which seems very thematically appropriate.
    7) This made me want to reread Firestarter, which is pretty remarkable, as Firestarter is kind of a shite novel.
    8) Barb. Just... Barb :(

I have a feeling I'll be watching this multiple times in between now and next summer. Hopefully with some people I plan to introduce to it.

Duffel on