As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I finished Season 3 again recently and I have to say that I still really like it. It's significantly better than Season 2 (which I liked) but probably less than Season 1. I think the issue is that most of the mystery in the show is now gone. That first Season where you didn't know anything about the upside down world was incredible. Every episode was a new "WTF".

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They need to explore the upside down some more.

• Options
    I guess Wizards of the Coast is cool with Stranger Things.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I guess Wizards of the Coast is cool with Stranger Things.

WotC LOVES their non cash cow product getting love. Or more specifically, Hasbro does.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    "Oh no, A huge amount of product placement in a hit show" cried WotC.

We must put a stop to this.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    man I hope joyce is getting a payout from the feds

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Can't wait to they hit the 90s and stay playing Magic the Gathering. Throwing un sleeved black Lotus around. "What's this, white border? Toss those old cards out!"

• Options
    A college Stranger Things would be neat.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    man I hope joyce is getting a payout from the feds

A single mother now having to take care of three kids? She better.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Do they ever show Max's parent's.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

They show the dad in flashback....

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Wasn't the father also in season 2 where he threatened Billy, which set him off on finding Max?

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Wasn't the father also in season 2 where he threatened Billy, which set him off on finding Max?

He hit him didn't he?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I only kinda half-followed Joyce's career path throughout the series.

In season one she worked at a drug store, right? Your average, lower-middle-class struggling, single, working mom with kids. I seem to remember a scene where she struggled to buy a phone.

Then in season 3
    she owns her own store and also has the money to just pick up and move?

Was that, like... shown? Or did they just kinda have that be the way it is now?

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I highly doubt she owned that store.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    It was the same store

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

He hit him didn't he?

Their mom and dad were in that scene, and Billy's dad totally slapped him. I 100% expected possessed Billy to kill his father this season.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    She sold the house because she knew the store was closing

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    And there's a very strong implication that Sam and Billy's mom left because their dad was abusing her.

• Options
    So, I think after the mall 'burns down', all of the local stores put out of business by the mall would likely keep their employees. It annoyed me a tiny bit that she still had to move and they glossed over that.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    So, I think after the mall 'burns down', all of the local stores put out of business by the mall would likely keep their employees. It annoyed me a tiny bit that she still had to move and they glossed over that.

I don't think she "had to" move. She wanted the fuck out of Hawkins.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    She already lost two love interests. I think it’s personal.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Helps get Will away too in case... well.. someone fucks up and opens the gate again.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I think my biggest problem with this season was that it went for spectacle-driven rather than character-driven.

None of the cast really had much that you could call a character arc this season.

Everything set up in the first few episodes was basically dropped to make room for the A, B, and C crisis plots, and the seemingly shifting relationships are basically rendered moot by how the final episode ends. What little that was there didn't really feel earned.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Hey I might still own a copy of that Best of Dragon Magazine that Will just let soak in the rain.

That actively angered me.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    She already lost two love interests. I think it’s personal.

That and otherworldly entities seem drawn to her son. That she stayed after the last couple run ins was questionable her leaving now is the logical option to get away from there as far as is possible.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Helps get Will away too in case... well.. someone fucks up and opens the gate again.

Conversely, if it opens again and the Upside Down/Mindflayer/whatever manages to get a foothold, they're now separated from many of the people who have helped save the day.

In other words, while it's not an unreasonable action to take based on everything surrounding the town and their experiences in it... they're splitting the party up.

And in D&D terms, we all know that's a risky proposition at best.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Conversely, if it opens again and the Upside Down/Mindflayer/whatever manages to get a foothold, they're now separated from many of the people who have helped save the day.

In other words, while it's not an unreasonable action to take based on everything surrounding the town and their experiences in it... they're splitting the party up.

And in D&D terms, we all know that's a risky proposition at best.

They also now know from Alexi that Hawkins is the key to opening the portal to the Upside Down. It can't just open anywhere. That means getting away from that location is probably safer for Will.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Hey I might still own a copy of that Best of Dragon Magazine that Will just let soak in the rain.

That actively angered me.

Yeah. That fort of his was pretty crappy.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    It's not that Hawkins is the only place, it's that it's easier in Hawkins because it was opened there once before.

Their experiments back in Russia seemed to work pretty well until the laser blew out, if Alexei had more than a year to work on it before being brutally executed then they'd probably stay in Russia and keep making the laser better.

Building a secret base in America and moving the current model laser there was just the fast option, a shortcut to get results as fast as possible.

So they could definitely do more jackassery with the Upside Down in the future but I really hope they don't. Let that rest a bit, let's face a new and different premise than "we must close the gate!!"

• Options
    I finished the sixth episode. Oh, lordy.
    Unless there is a miracle, allot of people are dead.

• Options

The common refrain from those that went with her was they were coming back. So that doesn't ring true as motivation.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

The common refrain from those that went with her was they were coming back. So that doesn't ring true as motivation.

One son's girlfriend is in Hawkins as well as his job as a photographer. The other son's friends are all in Hawkins. The newly-adopted daughter's boyfriend is in Hawkins. Of course all of them want to come back.

What's in Hawkins for Joyce? Bad memories and limited economic opportunity.

Moving wasn't any of the younger Byers' choice. Joyce wanted to go and none of the kids are old enough to live on their own so go they did.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I think my biggest problem with this season was that it went for spectacle-driven rather than character-driven.

None of the cast really had much that you could call a character arc this season.

Everything set up in the first few episodes was basically dropped to make room for the A, B, and C crisis plots, and the seemingly shifting relationships are basically rendered moot by how the final episode ends. What little that was there didn't really feel earned.

Mike learns to be a good boyfriend and express his feelings.
    Elle learns how to be herself from Max.
    Will learns how to deal with growing up and the changing interests of his friends.
    Robin learns to recognize Steve's huge character growth from S1E1 till now. She also learns that children aren't just annoying abusers of the free sample policy.
    Erica learns she is a nerd and that's okay.
    Murray, well maybe he doesn't learn anything but I thought it was hilarious how the kids treated him.
    Hopper keeps working on being a good person. You can't just flip a switch and be perfect. I don't mind that he fails from time to time, that's pretty normal.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I am curious if Hopper get fired or not.

I haven't finished the season. Probably should avoid this thread.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Will learns how to deal with growing up and the changing interests of his friends.
    Robin learns to recognize Steve's huge character growth from S1E1 till now. She also learns that children aren't just annoying abusers of the free sample policy.
    Murray, well maybe he doesn't learn anything but I thought it was hilarious how the kids treated him.
    Hopper keeps working on being a good person. You can't just flip a switch and be perfect. I don't mind that he fails from time to time, that's pretty normal.

Steve learns about lesbians

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Erica also perhaps learns that she likes her brother's friends more than she wants to believe. I detected a slight air of jealousy from her when Suzie turned out to be real.
    Murray perhaps came face to face with the actual dangers of the conspiracies he's dedicated to digging into, rather than what he's always perceived.
    Steve got to fuck up Billy's car.
    Elle learns how to win a fight without her powers, her compassion for others is what wins the day.
    Mike's mom learns that even though her husband sucks she doesn't want to fuck up her kids' childhood with an affair.
    Jonathan and Nancy survive their first real relationship trial and come out alive.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Erica also perhaps learns that she likes her brother's friends more than she wants to believe. I detected a slight air of jealousy from her when Suzie turned out to be real.
    Murray perhaps came face to face with the actual dangers of the conspiracies he's dedicated to digging into, rather than what he's always perceived.
    Steve got to fuck up Billy's car.
    Elle learns how to win a fight without her powers, her compassion for others is what wins the day.
    Mike's mom learns that even though her husband sucks she doesn't want to fuck up her kids' childhood with an affair.
    Jonathan and Nancy survive their first real relationship trial and come out alive.

Steve also won his first fight so that's good.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I am curious if Hopper get fired or not.

I haven't finished the season. Probably should avoid this thread.

:(

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Mike and Elle have their relationship patch up over the entire course of the season, when this sort of ridiculous premise that would be handled in a single episode of a sitcom. This incremental progress is laughable compared to previous seasons.

Lucas doesn't have a character arc. He's there to provide Mike with a sounding board about relationships, and to deliver the shoe-horned product placement/references.

Will wanted to spend time with his friends just being friends together, before they moved. But that's spoken about in a single episode. Then he's just around to rub the back of his neck and make frightened faces.

Dustin... also wanted to spend time with his friends and prove his girlfriend existed? But again, this is like the first episode and then he's sequestered off for the rest of it and while his girlfriend does show up at a dramatically appropriate time... it doesn't have anything to do with character growth or change.

Steve admits at the end of the season that he peaked in high school and by the time he realized his mistakes it was too late to really right the ship, but it's not really anything we didn't know and understand about him already. His opening up to Robin, and their now-established-to-be-platonic relationship is great, don't get me wrong, but it didn't alter who Steve is.

Robin doesn't really get character development. She's the smart and snarky alt-girl and yeah she's gay but it's not like she was figuring that out about herself. She's a likable new character who doesn't get much nuance because she has to share the spotlight with everyone else.

Carla actually has a character growth moment, where she is forced to recognize that maybe labels like "nerd" are arbitrary and it's better to just let people enjoy things. Oh, and that her brother's nerdy friends maybe are actually cooler than they appear.

Hopper has anger-management issues and a drinking problem. He is never confronted about them! He never has any come-to-God moment where he has to admit to himself that those are issues he's got that are stemming from all the shit going on in his life. When the shit starts hitting the fan we are just supposed to forget all his foibles because gosh darn it, he can really get things done when it comes down to the brass tacks. His ostensible death excuses him from having to even face up to any consequences from his actions, because now people can just mourn him and look back on his faults as "well darn it he wasn't perfect but he was still our Hop."

Billy's character only gets expanded during a single exposition-y melodramatic scene, just like last season. Too little, too late.

DarkPrimus on