As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Members of the cast reacting to the guitar scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Cc-_2Z8f8

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    My coworker thinks
    Will becomes the big bad for S5.

Which would suck because I like Will, but would rule because Noah Schnapp would most definitely knock it out of the park

edited July 2022
    Mim wrote: »
    My coworker thinks

Which would suck because I like Will, but would rule because Noah Schnapp would most definitely knock it out of the park

I don't really see the logic of that at all other than twist for the sake of twisting, which is a post-Shymalan thing that doesn't really suit the genre of the show.

Schrodinger on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Especially when you've got two other candidates in sadly more likely positions.

Oh brilliant
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm not sure you can follow up Season Four's reveal of
    One/Vecna as the actual big bad with twist that there's actually a different big bad.

For better or worse I think Season Five has to be everyone vs. Vecna for the fate of the world.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    I imagine they won't swap him out for anything else.
    but! Having him take control of Eddie's body or Max's mind is a good way of escalating stakes, give you a last minute villain you feel sorry for.

They also still got the Mind Flayer to deal with as a penultimate henchman... I assume? It didn't show up anywhere in S4, so was the implication that it died with the Meat Flayer?

Oh brilliant
    but! Having him take control of Eddie's body or Max's mind is a good way of escalating stakes, give you a last minute villain you feel sorry for.

They also still got the Mind Flayer to deal with as a penultimate henchman... I assume? It didn't show up anywhere in S4, so was the implication that it died with the Meat Flayer?
    The Mind Flayer is still around I think. Near as there was any explanation in the show, it seems like the Mind Flayer started out as a big mellow cloud of dust creature, then One showed up and something something took control of it, and then it seems he shoved the Mind Flayer (or 'the shadow' as the Russians called it) into... everything (?) in the upside down and that something something is what creates the whole hive mind thing. Maybe. Downside is it's a little vague, upside is at least they didn't spend five minutes exposition dumping on the audience.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Mind Flayer
    Was the smoke in the tank in Russia. The clone demodogs only activated after it got free and entered them.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Upside down explanation stuff
    I actually was pretty happy with them not over explaining the upside down once we figured out Vecna was One and was in charge. The life forms like the demogorgon were already there, as was the mind flayer. Vecna used his powers to control the cloud which then was used to tie the other forms into the hive mind. This maintains enough Lovecraftian weirdness for my sensibilities, and I couldn't quite tell if the yellow realm where he met this stuff was transformed into the red realm(s) where his house and Hawkins are duplicated or if these are distinct places. Potentially, I suppose, they could free The Shadow and gorgons and they may well turn on Vecna, although the 'kill the head vampire' trope is narratively more likely... as much as I bore of that trope it is pretty common in 80s fiction through today (hello, Night King).

Mind Flayer
    Was the smoke in the tank in Russia. The clone demodogs only activated after it got free and entered them.

Yeeeeeah, but it's super unclear how / why that was there!
    presumably they got that sample of Mind Flayer via the mall gate while it was open, then transferred it to Russia? It opens up some weird mechanics issues - does it function as a copy of the Mind Flayer while the gate is closed? Probably not, as it could have continued driving the Meat Flayer even when the gate was shut. Does it become wild, formless until it can sync back up with the hive mind?

Because best case scenario in terms of preserving the rules as established, the Russians had a tank of dead dust in their base for months until Vecna began poking new holes in reality and a signal reactivated that stuff. And if that's the case... why'd they even keep it?

Oh brilliant

Mind Flayer

Yeeeeeah, but it's super unclear how / why that was there!
    presumably they got that sample of Mind Flayer via the mall gate while it was open, then transferred it to Russia? It opens up some weird mechanics issues - does it function as a copy of the Mind Flayer while the gate is closed? Probably not, as it could have continued driving the Meat Flayer even when the gate was shut. Does it become wild, formless until it can sync back up with the hive mind?

Because best case scenario in terms of preserving the rules as established, the Russians had a tank of dead dust in their base for months until Vecna began poking new holes in reality and a signal reactivated that stuff. And if that's the case... why'd they even keep it?
    Well I think you'd keep it because it's a unique sample that you had to go into a hell dimension to obtain. And S3 actually had a scene where the Mindflayer bits that came out of Will at the end of S2 reactivated in whatever building they were in when the Russian gate reopened.

I'm really not sure how the Russians managed to obtain that sample though. Through their gate, sure, but sending some dudes in with airtight suits and some jars to try and grab a chunk of it while trying not to get chomped seems dicey. Could spin it as Vecna letting fools gather as much rope as they want.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think we're probably at the open spoilers stage now. I'll update the thread title.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Considering the show takes place in the 80's, any solution to the Mind Flayer is going to involve thermonuclear warheads.

How I envision the Mind Flayer biting it:
    71u8zup1ti7i.png

But with Will on the bomb

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    This is the breakdown as I understand it:
    When One was sent into the upside down he was exploring and found that mist and created the Mind Flayer from the particles.
    -Season 1 we see El has accidentally made contact with demogorgon which opens the portal to our world. I'm not really sure why One/Mind Flayer made contact with Will but we saw his drawings were the same as One when he was a kid. Will is kidnapped probably to figure out what his connection was, when he's saved the portal is closed but he's left as contact.
    -Season 2 Will's contact with the Mind Flayer still exists so this is used to try to bridge back into Hawkins, El fights back and closes the portal once again
    -Season 3 Mind Flayer is sent to Hawkins to take El's powers to open portals which is successful and El loses her powers in the process
    -Season 4 Vecna can now open portals with El's power and starts tearing open Hawkins and succeeds

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I agree with cardboard delusions' read, except that I don't think One created the Mind Flayer.

The read that I got was that Eleven sent him to a played-out and picked-clean dimension. I'd expect that was the Mind Flayer's work to begin with; whatever added capabilities or motivations it has now is a gestalt product of both it and One.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I still fucking hate One/Vecna as an addition to this series. Despise him, even.

I would have loved for Vecna to have just been an extension of the Mind Flayer that stole Eleven's powers, and that Eleven just didn't have her powers anymore, and the kids had to win on their own for once.

I fucking cannot stand One, the more and more I think about it. I can't stand that there are zero seeds or breadcrumbs leading to his existence prior to S4, I find his inclusion lazy, I find his monologues annoying. Vecna was pretty great up to the One = Vecna reveal and then I was like no I actually hate this.

That actually has me thinking more about the how and why Eleven lost/regained her powers between S3 and S4 and how completely disconnected that is.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Mim wrote: »
    My coworker thinks

Will towers over the broken and defeated legions around him, the power of the upside down coursing through him and only mike is left standing, facing his best friend.
    "Why are you doing this will?"
    "You of all people have the Gall to ask me that?!?! I Loved you so much and you just never returned that feeling!
    "I did love you man, you're my best friend and I did a frankly insane amount of stuff to save you. Twice."
    "Yes but you never consumated that love!"
    "...wait what?"
    "WHY DIDN'T YOU RAIL ME!?!?!"
    "Hold up a second-"
    "-INSTEAD YOU KEPT OBSESSING OVER THIS SOCIALLY STUNTED BALD GIRL WITH CHRONIC NOSE BLEEDS!"
    "Can we just hold up a second?
    "What!?!?!"
    "...you're... gay?"

Will' brain explodes and the series ends.

Also: honest trailers did a thing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnOLNDff8d4&t=4s&ab_channel=ScreenJunkies

Gaddez on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I still fucking hate One/Vecna as an addition to this series. Despise him, even.

I would have loved for Vecna to have just been an extension of the Mind Flayer that stole Eleven's powers, and that Eleven just didn't have her powers anymore, and the kids had to win on their own for once.

I fucking cannot stand One, the more and more I think about it. I can't stand that there are zero seeds or breadcrumbs leading to his existence prior to S4, I find his inclusion lazy, I find his monologues annoying. Vecna was pretty great up to the One = Vecna reveal and then I was like no I actually hate this.

That actually has me thinking more about the how and why Eleven lost/regained her powers between S3 and S4 and how completely disconnected that is.

The thing you should really be concerned about with this retcon, as far as I can tell, is that Eleven sent One to the Upside Down. So every single death in the show related to the Upside Down all the way back to Barb, is Eleven's fault since the Demogorgon and Mind Flayer were acting on behalf of One.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

The thing you should really be concerned about with this retcon, as far as I can tell, is that Eleven sent One to the Upside Down. So every single death in the show related to the Upside Down all the way back to Barb, is Eleven's fault since the Demogorgon and Mind Flayer were acting on behalf of One.

that's a bit .... wrong

I don't think she even knew where she sent him nor that he could get back. She also didn't make him murder anyone.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

that's a bit .... wrong

I don't think she even knew where she sent him nor that he could get back. She also didn't make him murder anyone.

That's not what I said. Regardless of intent, she put One in the Upside Down and he has been using the Upside Down to kill a lot of people.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

that's a bit .... wrong

That's not what I said. Regardless of intent, she put One in the Upside Down and he has been using the Upside Down to kill a lot of people.

well he used the real world to kill a lot of people too =p

and would have to El except she sent him away

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

that's a bit .... wrong

She still didn't knowingly do any of that. Pinning the blame on a child that was just protecting herself seems like an absolutely wild stretch like blaming Alfred Nobel for anybody that has ever died in an explosion.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Eh the massacre at the lab shows what he could've done if he hadn't got sent there

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

that's a bit .... wrong

She still didn't knowingly do any of that. Pinning the blame on a child that was just protecting herself seems like an absolutely wild stretch like blaming Alfred Nobel for anybody that has ever died in an explosion.

Nor was it remotely foreseeable. She reacted to defend herself, and everyone left alive in the facility from a murderous asshole. This is as far fetched as blaming mining companies for gun deaths because they extracted the ore that eventually made the gun and bullets. This is before we get to the fact that Vecna is a fully grown adult with agency to make decisions on his own. Or discuss that Eleven is a child still, and was being controlled then to act for someone else through threat of torture. It just doesn't remotely track at all.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Eh the massacre at the lab shows what he could've done if he hadn't got sent there

Was just about to say, he murdered about 10 times as many people at the lab as he in the rest of the season.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    If you want to blame anyone, blame Brenner for keeping One around in the first place.

As soon as he discovered the existence of other psychics who would be easier to control, there's absolutely no point to keeping One around.

• asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I don't think there's going to be another villain in season 5 besides Vecna, but if there was a new villain, I'd like to see something Upside-Down oriented take his dumb philosophy (i'm an apex predator culling the herd oo-oo-oo) and turn it on him. basically, once the gang has Vecna on the edge of defeat, the Hive-Mind has decided Vecna can't live up to his own ideals and the Hive-mind offs him only to take on his mission to eradicate/assimilate mankind by itself

i mean it seems like the human world is leaking into the Upside Down via sound/electrical stuff, so to me it would make sense if the Hive mind would be doing anything it can to eliminate this alien element from its realm, don't need Vecna to explain that

asofyeun on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Feels like someone should make a DBZ FUNimation joke about all this.

El didn't kill him. She just sent him... TO ANOTHER DIMENSION!
    Nobody? Just me?

Fine.

RT800 on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    If you want to blame anyone, blame Brenner for keeping One around in the first place.

As soon as he discovered the existence of other psychics who would be easier to control, there's absolutely no point to keeping One around.

I think it's pretty safe to say that wouldn't have suited Brenner's control issues all that well, but pragmatically? Yes, except that it would appear that the hierarchy of Psychic Kids power-wise was One, Eleven, Two (?), everyone else, which would also have been problematic for Brenner's whole still a little obscure thing.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »

I think it's pretty safe to say that wouldn't have suited Brenner's control issues all that well, but pragmatically? Yes, except that it would appear that the hierarchy of Psychic Kids power-wise was One, Eleven, Two (?), everyone else, which would also have been problematic for Brenner's whole still a little obscure thing.

If Brenner had control issues, all the more reason to kill one.

Brenner obviously can't control these psychics if they decided to rebel against him, and the leashes only work if he manages to put them on them. The only control he has over them is emotional and psychological manipulation that started from birth.

One is the exception, because not only did he have his own childhood before Brenner came along, but he was also a raging psychopath.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The weird part is that he kept One around the other kids. That's crazy, Papa.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The control chip in his neck was such a lazy plot device, too. It was so shallow under the skin he could have gotten it out with a sharp instrument himself without any real risk. I'm willing to suspend disbelief that Eleven can drag something small out of his brain without the obvious medical implications, spend another minute on that. Can amp up the horror a bit and they're like long needles rammed through his skull, you only need to pull them out but there's no good way to get a grip and takes more strength than he has anyway etc. etc.

I can see keeping him alive, especially since he's a natural born psychic while the rest were the products of LSD experiments on pregnant women (unless that's retconned also?) so a mad science program studying his genes and an artificial insemination campaign seem right up Dr. Brenner's alley... but One could be in a medically induced coma or something to mitigate the risks.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    One of my first thoughts was that the orderly was a hallucination. So that would work with him tricking her to wake him up.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Right, my initial take was that the Nina machine was forcing Eleven to relive her memories, but the orderly was Brenner talking to her from outside while in that state, helping her remember what it was like to unlock her powers the first time. Because if he appeared as himself inside the memories, it would throw the whole thing off.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Apparently Noah Schapp had an interview yesterday and confirmed Will is indeed gay and maybe in love with Mike

Atomika wrote: »
    Apparently Noah Schapp had an interview yesterday and confirmed Will is indeed gay and maybe in love with Mike

Was that ever in doubt?

Earlier in your thread, someone linked to the original pitch for the show when it was supposed to be one season long with a different name and maybe the possibility of a follow up 15 years later Ala It.

And even the original pitch mentions that Will is gay.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Was that ever in doubt?

Earlier in your thread, someone linked to the original pitch for the show when it was supposed to be one season long with a different name and maybe the possibility of a follow up 15 years later Ala It.

And even the original pitch mentions that Will is gay.

I don’t think anyone is shocked by this, but in this age of queerbaiting it’s nice to have something concrete

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Still kinda feels like it until the show itself does something to make it text?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

I don't really consider it queer baiting when it takes place in a small town in the 1980s. We know gay people back then existed, and we know that lots of them were too scared too leave the closet.

That's why I brought up Nightmare on Elm Street 2.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I don't really consider it queer baiting when it takes place in a small town in the 1980s. We know gay people back then existed, and we know that lots of them were too scared too leave the closet.

That's why I brought up Nightmare on Elm Street 2.

Robin even brings it up this season, that if Steve strikes out it's no big deal, but if she does it could mark her for life in the town.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981