A Guide to Monsters: The Fey, and previous The Hydra

1234579

Posts

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Undine

    The undine is a common type of water fey, that typically lives in rivers and small lakes. Though they commonly appear as petite and feminine, some might be shocked to learn they do have two sexes, and they’re actually a fairly imposing entity. Though many liken them to a siren or mermaid using their voice to lure young men to their deaths, the Undine’s desires with this tend to be more cordial, instead attempting to lure company less so a meal, as they tend to take an interest in humans. These are the most likely type to become a Lady in the Lake type situation, leading on a suitor with promises of rewards and services for shows of loyalty in the hopes to eventually gain the human’s pledge of unending service which can either be fine or really bad depending on the Undine they just swore it to. While we are unsure why they want to collect human souls, we have found the fondness they hold for the human they are courting is true, and they will spurn all others for them and even have been seen putting themselves in harm's way to protect them which is very atypical for the fey.

    Depending on where an Undine set up shot really factors into how dangerous one is to fight, however, water is a dangerous tool no matter what so they’re always at least a moderately dangerous. They aren’t much of a physical fighter, being short on average and generally frail looking, but to make up for that they typically have a human companion who are often trained in some form of martial combat and has been given magical gifts by their undine, these people are not to be discounted because they fight from a place of often misplaced love and are more than willing to die to protect the undine. In addition the undine has perfect control over the water they dwell in and in addition general water magics, which often include spells of ice and cold. While you shouldn’t expect to be frozen to death, do expect sharp shards of ice hurled your way. They will attack in tandem with any human suitor they have, and go into a blind fury if they are killed.

    The best defence against an undine is typically just keeping out of their water, and having a shield able to block the ice chunks. Water is a powerful element, but it’s ability to directly attack is a bit limited. If you step foot too near the water they dwell in the fight just got a magnitude harder, expect a lot of attempted drowning and strong currents. Having a supply of air, and protection against jagged rocks is recommended.

    Melding on
    cB557Slacker71ElldrenNeoTomaTrippyJingVoid SlayerAnialos
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The habit of undines to distrubute magical swords (which invariably influences land politics) is pretty annoying. Supreme executive power should be derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    JoolanderNaphtalivalhalla130
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Unicorn

    Amazingly, despite how well known the unicorn is very few people know what one actually is. Most will tell you of a pure white horse with a horn, that it’s gentle and intelligent, and can only be ridden by a pure virgin. None of this is true, except the single horn. Despite some depictions of unicorns, they’re actually more closely related to the goat, though they do have proportions closer to that of a horse or zebra. Next, while they are typically grazing animals, like most any animal if you get them riled they’re going to gore town bucko, and that horn is sharp, so i hope you don’t like your ribs in one piece. While smart for an animal they’re not too much smarter than a normal horse, most only able to count up to 18. Finally the virgin myth, unicorns don’t care. While they seem to prefer women riders, their general stubborn demeanor makes them challenging mounts for anyone.

    With this out of the way let’s talk about some true things about unicorns. Thier horns do contain magical healing abilities, though it does not grant wishes, unless your wish was to not feel sick anymore. The blood of the unicorn is also poisonous to many creatures. While not fatal to most eating unicorn meat is not advisable. They are also exceedingly rare, wild unicorns are a rare sights, and apparently they don’t do well in captivity. Why their numbers are dwindling elsewhere we are not sure, but we’re less sure what, if anything, we could do about it even if we knew.

    With this said, writing on how to kill a unicorn seems, in bad taste. They’re not that difficult to kill for one, and also they’re incredibly rare, if you see one you should call your nearest nature reserve so they can go about making sure the area is secure for them despite the lack of natural predators. They’re often poached for their horns, which people believe still carries the healing magic of the unicorn. It does not, the magic is a product of the unicorn and it focused through the horn, once the unicorn is slain the magic is lost.

    cB557Slacker71
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    As a magic user, how does the practice of boiling an undine to restore your magical reserves seem to you?

    VRXwDW7.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    As a magic user, how does the practice of boiling an undine to restore your magical reserves seem to you?

    I'm going with a firm: bad. While fey blood can be used to boost magic, if boiled it is basically useless. it conceals and gets all goopy and gross. Also eating blood just makes you sick, you need to get that in through the veins.

    However, they might have plants that can be used to restore the flow of magic, and they're typically very open to trades if they think they're getting a good deal.

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Kelpie

    The Kelpie is a bedevilling creature that despite appearances is a lot more trouble than people suspect. A shapeshifter by nature, we’re unsure what the base form of the kelpie actually is, as it commonly appears as either a horse or an attractive human. However in both forms it has the ability to turn its skin into a strong adhesive. Once stuck to a Kelpie, the victim is then typically drowned, presumably to then be eaten. Neither form of the Kelpie is perfect however, while as a horse the Kelpie appears to be a strong black horse that is friendly and can be easily coaxed into riding, often distracting you from the fact that its hooves are backwards, or sometimes not those of the proper animal. As a human, they tend to appear as a handsome man, with long hair, often with aquatic plant life caught a bit in it, who are kind and flirtatious to distract you from the whole “smells like they just crawled out of the water” thing. If they're not wearing a shirt, one might notice they’re missing nipples and a belly button. This suggests that they’re either not very great shape shifters, or they don’t understand these creatures very well and are simply trying to make due.

    Kelpie tend to stick near lakes, and fresh water not too far from the ocean, and typically in sources not often not very high visibility to the bottom from the surface. They are very solitary creatures, working alone as being approached by two men can be off putting, and a person can only ride one horse at a time, but do not seem to dispute territory with other creatures in the area if they’re left alone. It is not uncommon to see a kelpie in the same lake as an undine or naiad, provided their goals don’t conflict. Luckily, if spurred into conflict with one of the fey at a shared source of water, typically won’t raise the ire of the other even if one is killed with rare exception.

    The Kelpie itself is physically not that imposing. While it can take the form of a horse, it is only as physically strong as a horse. While its skin can turn into a very strong adhesive, it only really seems to work on skin and cottons. So in a physical fight, provided you’re wearing polyester or metal, it’s not that much harder to fight than a normal horse. And as an added bonus, due to their shapeshifting nature, silver has a great effect on them, iron typically works better, but who doesn’t like shooting a thing that can turn into a man and animal with a silver bullet. The most difficult part is while attempting to deduce if you’re dealing with a Kelpie, not being seduced by the Kelpie. For a weird alien creature that turns into a horse, they’re very socially adept, knowing when to pressure, when to back off, if they’re not in a rush they might even set up a several day long scam, or if desperate fake drowning. They’re very clearly intelligent, which makes why they get the transformations wrong kind of baffling.

    It should be noted, that while in the form of a horse a Kelpie can be captured fairly easily by instead of mounting it when offered, putting proper riding equipment on it. With that on they seem to be stuck as a horse, however, keeping a kelpie is not advised as while they seem to lack combat magic they are very good at hexing and the longer kept the stronger the hex becomes capable of wiping out entire families.

    cB557Slacker71
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If you saddle a kelpie, can it be ridden into water to drown it?

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    If you saddle a kelpie, can it be ridden into water to drown it?

    oh right, i forgot to put they can breathe underwater, that should have been in there.

  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Does the bit of the bridle potentially have an effect on the kelpie? Typically bits are made of an iron alloy or silver - I imagine that might be related to the breaking effect that a bridle and saddle appear to provide.

    Melding
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Does the bit of the bridle potentially have an effect on the kelpie? Typically bits are made of an iron alloy or silver - I imagine that might be related to the breaking effect that a bridle and saddle appear to provide.

    This is the leading theory, but it's still largely untested. Actual Kelpie are kind of rare, and are often we think we have a kelpie when in actuality we just found a fey horse with a minor mutation.

    A once prevailing theory was that it was simply a possum technique as between the riding equipment and clothing, it had no real way of making you stay on while it dove into the water, so it would be simply safer to take the indignity and slowly curse the humans around it to die soon.

    Then someone pointed out the different metals involved, and that tin is used in most anything so whatever rivets and metals are int he saddle might have tin causing problems, and we haven't come across a docile kelpie since.

    There was that one but then its head got, inexplicably caved in. and might have just been a horse with a bad foot. We will never know now.

    cB557
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    How would you rate soap created from the rendered fat of a Kelpie?

    VRXwDW7.png
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Can we do elementals like genasai next
    Or maybe plant people, cactus hamadryads oh yeah

  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This thread is entertaining me mostly on the fact I'm letting my brain run with mixing Fey with TIna Fey and all these violent species of Tina Fey's you can encounter.

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Crippl3
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    How would you rate soap created from the rendered fat of a Kelpie?

    When a Kelpie is killed their bodies tend to just melt into goo, so I can't say we've tried this, nor can i really give an impression on it.
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Can we do elementals like genasai next
    Or maybe plant people, cactus hamadryads oh yeah

    hamadryad is actually a kind of dryad, and on the list of things to touch on at some point.

    Also, with the current cosmology i have going right now, there isn't really elemental planes of such, i'm considering it, but also right now inter-species breeding isn't really something i've put much thought into. Closest i have at the moment is with the S-blooded, which bare some superficial similarities.

    But right now, the cosmology of known planes is Earth, World of the Fair Folk, Hells, "Heaven", and The Shadow. the shaodw currently being a mix of the darkbad and far realm of DnD 4e.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    How would you rate soap created from the rendered fat of a Kelpie?

    When a Kelpie is killed their bodies tend to just melt into goo, so I can't say we've tried this, nor can i really give an impression on it.
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Can we do elementals like genasai next
    Or maybe plant people, cactus hamadryads oh yeah

    hamadryad is actually a kind of dryad, and on the list of things to touch on at some point.

    Also, with the current cosmology i have going right now, there isn't really elemental planes of such, i'm considering it, but also right now inter-species breeding isn't really something i've put much thought into. Closest i have at the moment is with the S-blooded, which bare some superficial similarities.

    But right now, the cosmology of known planes is Earth, World of the Fair Folk, Hells, "Heaven", and The Shadow. the shaodw currently being a mix of the darkbad and far realm of DnD 4e.

    So whoever made up that name got beaten for it when it made it into official nomenclature right?

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    How would you rate soap created from the rendered fat of a Kelpie?

    When a Kelpie is killed their bodies tend to just melt into goo, so I can't say we've tried this, nor can i really give an impression on it.
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Can we do elementals like genasai next
    Or maybe plant people, cactus hamadryads oh yeah

    hamadryad is actually a kind of dryad, and on the list of things to touch on at some point.

    Also, with the current cosmology i have going right now, there isn't really elemental planes of such, i'm considering it, but also right now inter-species breeding isn't really something i've put much thought into. Closest i have at the moment is with the S-blooded, which bare some superficial similarities.

    But right now, the cosmology of known planes is Earth, World of the Fair Folk, Hells, "Heaven", and The Shadow. the shaodw currently being a mix of the darkbad and far realm of DnD 4e.

    So whoever made up that name got beaten for it when it made it into official nomenclature right?

    well, the official name is the Shadowfel. Fel means bad. and shadows are dark, so it's the darkbad. Home of the raven queen or something. It's a thign that started from a million points and then converged as it is the obvious joke.

    Plus shadowfel is just as stupid, and i will fight you about it.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    How would you rate soap created from the rendered fat of a Kelpie?

    When a Kelpie is killed their bodies tend to just melt into goo, so I can't say we've tried this, nor can i really give an impression on it.
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Can we do elementals like genasai next
    Or maybe plant people, cactus hamadryads oh yeah

    hamadryad is actually a kind of dryad, and on the list of things to touch on at some point.

    Also, with the current cosmology i have going right now, there isn't really elemental planes of such, i'm considering it, but also right now inter-species breeding isn't really something i've put much thought into. Closest i have at the moment is with the S-blooded, which bare some superficial similarities.

    But right now, the cosmology of known planes is Earth, World of the Fair Folk, Hells, "Heaven", and The Shadow. the shaodw currently being a mix of the darkbad and far realm of DnD 4e.

    So whoever made up that name got beaten for it when it made it into official nomenclature right?

    well, the official name is the Shadowfel. Fel means bad. and shadows are dark, so it's the darkbad. Home of the raven queen or something. It's a thign that started from a million points and then converged as it is the obvious joke.

    Plus shadowfel is just as stupid, and i will fight you about it.

    Shadowfel can be interpreted as Bad Shadow though, which is a fair sight better than Darkbad.

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    darkbad is more fun to say though. Specially in character.

    Cleric, holding a lantern in their off hand, mace gripped tightly in the other, a solemn look on their face. "I fear we may have cross over into the world world of undeath. into the darkbad."

  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So where do Deep crows come from? Is it hell, darkbad or do they have a natural origin like the roc?

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i would imagine the deep crow comes from under the earth, from the cavernous abyss that is, but shouldn't be.

    there's a detroit joke in there, but i feel like i've dumped on them enough this week.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i would imagine the deep crow comes from under the earth, from the cavernous abyss that is, but shouldn't be.

    there's a detroit joke in there, but i feel like i've dumped on them enough this week.

    Eh put it on New Jersey, more dumping won't change anything.

    MeldingDuke 2.0Slacker71
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Melding wrote: »
    Unicorn

    Amazingly, despite how well known the unicorn is very few people know what one actually is. Most will tell you of a pure white horse with a horn, that it’s gentle and intelligent, and can only be ridden by a pure virgin. None of this is true, except the single horn. Despite some depictions of unicorns, they’re actually more closely related to the goat, though they do have proportions closer to that of a horse or zebra. Next, while they are typically grazing animals, like most any animal if you get them riled they’re going to gore town bucko, and that horn is sharp, so i hope you don’t like your ribs in one piece. While smart for an animal they’re not too much smarter than a normal horse, most only able to count up to 18. Finally the virgin myth, unicorns don’t care. While they seem to prefer women riders, their general stubborn demeanor makes them challenging mounts for anyone.

    With this out of the way let’s talk about some true things about unicorns. Thier horns do contain magical healing abilities, though it does not grant wishes, unless your wish was to not feel sick anymore. The blood of the unicorn is also poisonous to many creatures. While not fatal to most eating unicorn meat is not advisable. They are also exceedingly rare, wild unicorns are a rare sights, and apparently they don’t do well in captivity. Why their numbers are dwindling elsewhere we are not sure, but we’re less sure what, if anything, we could do about it even if we knew.

    With this said, writing on how to kill a unicorn seems, in bad taste. They’re not that difficult to kill for one, and also they’re incredibly rare, if you see one you should call your nearest nature reserve so they can go about making sure the area is secure for them despite the lack of natural predators. They’re often poached for their horns, which people believe still carries the healing magic of the unicorn. It does not, the magic is a product of the unicorn and it focused through the horn, once the unicorn is slain the magic is lost.

    From what I hear there's only one unicorn left!

    Last I heard she was travelling with a scullery maid and a sham of a wizard.


    Metzger Meister on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Elves

    As a group, elves are very diverse as they are category created by a shared origin and not so much of appearance. In folklore the description of an elf varies wildly by region, some are tall and regal, others short and cruel. For the most part this category agrees with this, though the reasons why aren’t quite what one might expect. In an interesting twist they are the verse of goblins, earthly people effectively corrupted by the energies of the fey world. Magic is a powerful thing, and exposure to a certain type often has noticeable effects, demonic warlocks tend to become more demon, and those who use fey magic are likewise affected. The origins of different types of elves are varied. Some are travels who got lost accidentally crossing over, and then settled, over time changing, some are rewarded servants or punished criminals. The list of reasons is almost endless. What we do know is some of the effects.

    Those mutated by the background radiation typically call themselves True Elves, as they adapted to meet their environment, and generally match the standard fantasy elf standards. Human height, pointed ears, long lived, live in trees. Most other elves are derivatives of other fey, made with blood or influenced with magic they become reflections of the progenitors. This is how you get elves of such wildly different descriptions, as an elf made by a dryad is going to look different that one from a pixie or leprechaun. While these all could be technically be separate entries, these all fit into the category of “former humans” and fit the bill of elves.

    As a whole elves aren’t much tougher than humans, though most tend to have a better constitution, and due to their human origins iron has a lesser effect. They tend to be just as arrogant and fickle as normal fey, though tempered a bit due to a relatively low standing within the fey courts they still view themselves above humans. Which makes bossing them around when working together really fun, let me tell you. In combat, they tend to have both martial skills and some magical stills with the exception of some of the smaller ones who typically just turn invisible and run away. They’re typically more dangerous than a normal human, but not by too much. Don’t underestimate them, and use a gun, they don’t have guns and you can get them. This makes a world of difference.

    Currently it is unknown what might happen if elves are left on earth for long enough. Could they change back to humans? Would they not change at all? Or would they become something entirely different” We don’t have time to know, but maybe one day someone will

    Tommy2HandsChimera
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    hey auxiliary dogs wearing hat thread, did you know there is an old dogswearinghats twitter account?



    I just found it right this moment.

    Slacker71Crippl3Duke 2.0
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Any mystical creatures that seem to share this affinity for dogs with hats?

    VRXwDW7.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Any mystical creatures that seem to share this affinity for dogs with hats?

    Specifically? not to my knowledge, but most sapient creatures tend to enjoy having pets, and dogs are pretty great, add a hat and blammo, super adorable.

    Also i think that's an airdale, and i used to have one so they're my favourite dog. might be a welsh terrier, impossible to tell without anything for scale.

  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    On the other hand there are several creatures on the british isles and in germany that really really like hats.
    Redcaps, Merrow, Haferman, Bilwis, Alp, tomte etc

    They all really like their hats. In the british isles it's often because the hat or cap is magical, but with the exception of the Alp (a bloodsucking spirit with a hat that gives them invisibility, strength and shapeshifting.) their continental cousins just really like their hats.

    So if you're in Germany, Austria or czechoslovakia and your pet seems to have mysteriously acquired a hat, beware.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Sylph

    The Sylph is a an Air type of fey that is commonly under-estimated in modern times. Commonly grouped in with the lesser fairy the Sylph is actually a pretty powerful creature. Appearing often as a thin young person with often translucent wings, it is not hard to mistake them for a fairy but the times they appear as a raging wind storm kind of clears that up. The sylph is likely to take up residency in areas with strong and constant wings, or places where strong winds and tornadoes are likely to happen frequently, this sometimes put them at odds with some types of storm fey, but few can match the might of an adult Sylph. Interactions with humans are rather varied, though some general themes do appear. Attempting to preserve the beauty of a person and building their vanity is seen as a common pass time of the unseelie sylph, while the seelie sylph will sometimes act as guardians or guides for humans. What, if any end goal these tactics have we aren’t sure as either ends tragically or in never seeing the fey again. Perhaps the tragic end is the intended goal, we can’t say for sure but the idea of their goals being as fickle as the winds seems to fit poetically.

    The Sylph is in most regards fairly powerful, with an amazing command of the element of air and a lot more rugged than you might suspect from their appearance, but in a direct physical conflict they aren’t too impressive. In a fight, one should expect to be constantly fighting the wind and debris caught in it meaning low visibility and difficulty even moving around as poor footing can knock you down and you might not get back up, add to this directed lightning and suddenly why the idea of fighting a sylph is not advised becomes pretty clear. Particularly strong ones don’t even use lightning, and simply use wind currents to pick people up and drop them at dangerous heights, which is why they will often go uncontested in territory.

    As you can guess, fighting a Sylph is no easy feat. as their magic is typically very overwhelming, and due to the ranges they’re capable of fighting from most common forms of anit-magic won’t work, your best bat is to hit them with something tin at the slightest opening. This is also not easy as using projectiles in high wind situations is tricky at best. Other defensive measures include strapping into a very trustworthy harness, and then tethering yourself to something that very hopefully won’t get blown away. This limits the distance you can be blown away, or sucked up into the air to be dropped, but also leashes you to a spot limiting your attack. If able, tethering yourself to something that can provide cover from lightning and the wind would be ideal as it would force the sylph to keep circling around, and hopefully press in for the kill bringing them within striking distance to you.

    With is a rare case where outright using guns might be your best bet, we tend to warn away from them, as they draw undue attention most the time, but they’re harder to knock off course and can be easily fatal. Weighted iron nets have also had some effect in the past, but require a lot of planning to deploy properly, making them only very effective in planned ambushes and less so in spontaneous attacks.

    For the reasons above, it is fortunate Sylphs tend to not be very aggressive, as fighting them can often be a nightmare.

    cB557NeoToma
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    If they are flying / fairy type, wouldn't a steel-type be the best way to attack?

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Well, unfortunately pokemon typing doesn't reflect itself well in the world of magic, even so far as fire countering water just fine.

    that said the metal fey from before would probably do just fine because their mass they would have less to worry about with the wind.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ah yes, Sylph.
    Chi-pa-pa! Chi-pa-pa! Birds go cheep cheep!

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    i feel like that's a reference to something, but i have no idea what. Also, i am currently in process of cross posting this stuff to a tumblr and jesus christ i don't understand tumblr because i am old.

    If i die, I want you all to know,i hold everyone reading this thread responsible. luckily that seems to be few of you these days.

    edit: cross post finished. when this thread dies i will probably continue to update the tumblr, i forget the rule for linking to your own tumblr so i will say the link is in profile.

    Melding on
    cB557Crippl3Tommy2HandsSlacker71
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    Augh now The Last Unicorn is stuck in my head.

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Augh now The Last Unicorn is stuck in my head.

    you did it to yourself

    ewwqBIMl.jpg

    Duke 2.0Metzger MeisterTommy2HandsNaphtaliAndy Joe
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Ah yes, Sylph.
    Chi-pa-pa! Chi-pa-pa! Birds go cheep cheep!

    There is only one proper response to that.


    Monster Girl Eroge is for a very different Monster Guide thread

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Spriggan

    The Spriggan is often described as a dark mirror to the often admired Dryad. While the dryad is seen as beautiful, graceful, and kind, the spriggan is seen as ugly, cruel, spiteful. This of course is not true, as not only are dryads also sometimes spiteful and cruel, the two are barely even related. Despite their skin’s bark-like appearance, they don’t hold any real connection to trees, typically taking residence in burrows and the decaying remains of human structures. Despite a typically short stature of around 3 feet tall, they are able to grow in size to more than triple of that to attempt to scare away attackers or to attack other themselves. Despite their reputation however, Spriggans are typically benign if one discounts the random thefts and capers they carry out on any people near their homes. Granted these cappers can be deadly dangerous to their humans there's often no real ill intent like with most fey. This does make them one of the few fey that horde treasures, no matter how small or mundane, and have the standard rule of “If i was able to steal it, that means it belongs to me” making stealing from a Spriggan usually free of retribution, but rare are the fey not hypocrites.

    The Spriggan is an earth fey and as such as a general command of earth magic, as well they are able to charm most non-sapient creatures, and enthrall them into fighting for them. This is typically their first line of defence if they they think they’re going to be attacked, or at the very least work as a defence perimeter so they know when other thieves are coming. After this they rely on being able to shift and move the ground under your feet and their ability to become huge. Having uneasy footing while attempting to fight a large creature as most can tell you is very difficult, doing it while the other creature controls the ground is even harder. Aside from this, they are not too clever in a fight typically just going in a straight line at their opponent, this is of course a tactical flaw easily exploited.

    The Spriggan isn’t too difficult a foe all things considered with regards to fey. If you can get them to ground that is difficult to move, such as consecrated soil, or secured metal, it’s main advantage is gone and even at ten feet tall its bark-like skin isn’t going to stop a sharp iron blade. The biggest danger is simply being caught off guard.

    cB557
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It all depends on the surrounding wildlife. While tin can break their more direct attack-magic it's almost impossible to break a long-term enthrallment. If they've enthralled something particularily vicious you're in for the fight of your life.

    Unlike many fey spriggan can also enthrall Dire animals. There was a Spriggan that laired outside a lovely abandonded temple, she had two Dire Bears and the most massive swarm of Bulletants I've ever seen. I decided that discretion was the better part of valor and retreated as quickly as I could, returning later with good arsenal of molotov cocktails in addition to my trusty shotgun.

    /Totally legit archeologist (not graverobber).

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    For the most part, dire animals are just grouped into normal animals as by and large there isn't actually a huge difference. is a dire bear smarter than the average bear? sure, not so much so to elevate them out of "very dangerous bear" territory.

    Also Tin vs enthrallment, the tin is most effective at the point of origin, and degrades fairly quickly, it's why Tin shields only really work against directed attacks, but won't do shit against an air fey's wind. Int his instance the spriggan is also helping to care for these creatures as well so there is a bond beyond just the charm but breaking it does reduce their willingness to die for for it. newer captures especially. the mistake people make is applying the tin to the animals and not the spriggan itself, though I imagine if you locked them intoa tin box it might break the spell temporarily, you're still the one that locked them in a box and animals don't like that.

    I say this as someone with a bit more, hands on knowledge of fey magic than most.

  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Could a dire bear be the culprit in the case of my stolen picnic basket?

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Could a dire bear be the culprit in the case of my stolen picnic basket?

    that sounds like a class two Yogi, do not approach.

    Slacker71Tommy2HandsUrielPolaritieAndy Joe
Sign In or Register to comment.