As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Your Universe Awaits, and wants you to pick up some stuff on the way

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    There's supposed to be some stuff you can do in the universe that'll be visible to other players, right? Do we know whether PC and PS4 share a universe or if they're separate?

No, just naming stuff.

Separate.

Separate universes kiiiiiinda defeats the entire purpose?

Not really? It just means that the PC and PS4 players are sandboxed from each other. Dunno why given that the universe should be big enough to support all players, but it's not some huge deal.

Maybe there will be a DLC event down the line where the two universes collide. It'll be like a Marvel summer event!

If it's so huge that it's not humanly possible to see it all before the sun collapses, I want everyone to be able to contribute as much as possible to the discovery

Splitting it in half slows that process tremendously

If it's that huge it doesn't matter if its split or not to me. I really could not care less if anyone else ever sees anything I do in the game.

Plus making the platforms work nice together is, from what I understand, a pretty huge complex endeavor. I think only FF14 has ever bothered to do it.

Rocket League has has Steam/PS4 players in the same games since launch, and has l mentioned that they have figured out how to include xBox One players in that mix if all companies involved approve.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't care about people seeing MY stuff, I wanna see THEIR stuff!

It is going to be cool every single time I come across a planet that has a "discovered by" tag on it

Lets be honest, everything is going to be named some permutation of "boner".

Nah, you can't cover the whole game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

It is going to be cool every single time I come across a planet that has a "discovered by" tag on it

Yours might not...

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    There's supposed to be some stuff you can do in the universe that'll be visible to other players, right? Do we know whether PC and PS4 share a universe or if they're separate?

No, just naming stuff.

Separate.

Separate universes kiiiiiinda defeats the entire purpose?

Not really? It just means that the PC and PS4 players are sandboxed from each other. Dunno why given that the universe should be big enough to support all players, but it's not some huge deal.

Maybe there will be a DLC event down the line where the two universes collide. It'll be like a Marvel summer event!

If it's so huge that it's not humanly possible to see it all before the sun collapses, I want everyone to be able to contribute as much as possible to the discovery

Splitting it in half slows that process tremendously

If it's that huge it doesn't matter if its split or not to me. I really could not care less if anyone else ever sees anything I do in the game.

Plus making the platforms work nice together is, from what I understand, a pretty huge complex endeavor. I think only FF14 has ever bothered to do it.

Rocket League has has Steam/PS4 players in the same games since launch, and has l mentioned that they have figured out how to include xBox One players in that mix if all companies involved approve.

insanity

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Street Fighter 5's whole thing is PC players and console players can play together

That's like, the only thing about it that worked out of the box

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »

Yours might not...

Dammit...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Couldn't care less about a PC/PS4 split

Finding discovered planets will still be neat regardless

And if they're split, it'll just make it that much more special

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    900 planets called Robonia

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Nine hundred billion planets named 'Earf'

• Options
    As the person who always takes time to think of fitting and unique nicknames for his Pokemon, I feel like this game is made especially for me.

That said I'm probably still going to make at least one planet nothing but Power Rangers references.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Welcome... to Larrytown

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm hoping to actually do a kind of little Youtube diary for this game. Like a few minutes of footage for each planet I make my way to over the course of however long I end up playing it.

It's kind of ambitious, since I don't have a ton of time to do stuff like that, but it sounds fun. When Animal Crossing first came out, I actually kept a little journal for the first few months that laid out what I had done each day.

I'll be getting on PS4. Already preordered digitally. My PC has decided that it just doesn't want to run games anymore. My fan turns into a jet engine no matter what game gets played. My video card is a basically new 970 so it's not that. I think I need either a new CPU or a new cooling system or both, and I am categorically uninterested in dumping yet more money into my computer.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm hoping to actually do a kind of little Youtube diary for this game. Like a few minutes of footage for each planet I make my way to over the course of however long I end up playing it.

Oh man I would love for someone to become an in-universe travel agent

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Welcome... to Larrytown
    I forget, do we post the video if people quote it or only if someone says Dune?

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Welcome... to Larrytown
    I forget, do we post the video if people quote it or only if someone says Dune?

At this point, I don't think it even needs to be posted. Everyone just mentally fills it in.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Post it forever

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

Watch it every time

• Options
    I have never managed to make it all the way through that video. I probably never will. :(

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    It's been a surprisingly tough choice but I'm going PS4 + big screen. The comfort and convenience of the couch won over the intimacy and probable graphic superiority of PC, and frankly on that last point my vision is getting markedly worse with age so it's not a big a factor as it once was. Ideally some sort of cloud save between the two would be awesome

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Never mind that it comes out 2 days after Gen Con and my feet are still going to hurt!

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i am super fucking excited for the soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nru86VmoEK4

i've been listening to 65daysofstatic since about 2005. their album one time for all time is my favorite work of music, i've listened to it literally hundreds of times and i swear for the first hundred i would notice something new lurking in a corner of one track or another every single time. they've wandered around stylistically and i had assumed that given the nature of NMS it was gonna be more of a focus on droney ambient stuff but supermoon up there makes me hopeful we'll get some of their math-rock and noise side too. there's a CE if you like vinyl

i hope this gets them some wider recognition. i've gotten to see them live one time with like a hundred other people at rock & roll hotel and seeing them in that sort of intimate space was incredible, but they deserve to be performing at bigger venues than that.

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    I hadn't heard of them before NMS, but I will say I'm super excited to get a listen to their soundtrack. I will say I've not got on with everything of theirs I've listened to, but Debutante and Heat Death Infinity Splitter are two remarkable pieces of music, so I can't wait to see what they've got here.

forumsig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    This game...well it sure looks like some sort of game

Who could deny that

• Options
    I can't wait to name my first too-much-like-a-spider-critter the nopenopenopenopeasuarus

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm definitely going to wait on reviews. The concept sounds awesome but I'm afraid that it'll play super janky.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I just have no idea what a review is for this game. Lots of people have had their hands on controls for preview events, and there hasn't been anything that I've read that indicated that the controls were really weird or uncomfortable or anything like that.

Experiences are going to be so wild and varied that I don't know how score applies. Some people will explore three planets, some will explore only one, some will just fly around in space, and none of them will scratch the surface of anything the game has to offer. Honestly, a bug report seems like the most practical information anyone can put out there, but that's pretty much what I look for in any review, so maybe I'm not the best person to say.

Ceno on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I really hope this game is a good version of a survival game for those of you who like the genre. It is super pretty, the concept is strong, and I like when indie studios succeed.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shit, less than 3 weeks to go.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    If nothing else I hope this game really shows off the potential of procedural generation. It has a fairly bad reputation in games overall (outside of graphics-lite roguelikes), but it could do so much for games given the continuing escalation of development costs due to high-detail assets and the like.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    what convenient timing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    No sorry you can't patent math

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    No sorry you can't patent math
    Apparently you can, as this is the patent.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    They havnt even seen the code to compare it to. So i doubt much will come of this aside from lawyers getting their taste.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sean Murray flat out said the formula solved problems in the game, so that implies he's using it.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    the new yorker article itself is super worth reading by the way, although i think quite a bit has changed in terms of gameplay since it was published

i hope the patent thing is resolved quickly and amicably..

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    My first thought was, naturally "patent troll!" but this Eurogamer article on it does make it sound like that's not the case - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-21-why-no-mans-sky-fans-are-worried-about-a-patented-superformula

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I swear to fucking god

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Dutch and Danish are not the same thing!

The wikipedia article on the superformula says "But the patent have been withdrawn in 2006 because the patent fees not being paid", in which case it seems like it wouldn't be an issue for Hello Games.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    even if the case has merit, Sony's sunk a good four years of cash into getting this thing out the door

they will make the suit go away if they have to

This discussion has been closed.