As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] Your Universe Awaits, and wants you to pick up some stuff on the way

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Playing survival mode and I'm already liking it better than the core game. Not having massive plutonium deposits that dot the landscape already makes the planet more visually interesting.

Also it spawned me 7 minutes from my ship on an ice planet with extreme night temperatures.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Is all the building and freighter stuff accessible in survival mode or only in the creative?

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So, is the base-building stuff available in all modes? Or only Creative?

[edit] Well, okay, that's what I get for not refreshing the page, I guess.

Fugitive on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's available in normal, don't know about survival.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Tried Survival, died in under 10 minutes without making it to my ship.

Second attempt had me huddling in a cave to warm up enough to dash out for enough plutonium to make a power cell, as my life support began to fail.

This is already more engaging.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Still doing my normal save. Purchased a Frieghter because I could. Not sure what to do with it now though.

PSN: jfrofl
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    For how big a part of the game the language learning was, and how much of a big deal the story made of Nada and Polo understanding your language, they completely abandoned the entire concept in this update. Now the game is filled with NPCs who straight up speak english, and while I can understand the choice it sure seems odd.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It would be weird if they kept the language stuff in and you hired some people with only the vaguest idea of what they said in the interview, only to find once you've learned some more verbs that you've got three fugitives on payroll and now the space police are after you

There I go again, outpacing the game with speculation

Maybe one day I'll just play games instead of imagining their Platonic ideals

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Datamining has found files indicating that ground vehicles are being worked on

Y'all ready to Mako

6F32U1X.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Decided to self-impose ironman on survival mode

I'm learning a little bit each time. Mostly patience.

edited November 2016
    -SPI- wrote: »
    For how big a part of the game the language learning was, and how much of a big deal the story made of Nada and Polo understanding your language, they completely abandoned the entire concept in this update. Now the game is filled with NPCs who straight up speak english, and while I can understand the choice it sure seems odd.

Yeah, it loses the feeling of being a lone wanderer in a vast cosmos.

Ideally the base-building concept would be introduced after a few hours into the game, once you've explored a couple systems and learned some words? Because I really dug that sense of awe and being out of my element for a while.

But as far as long-term enjoyment goes, this is way better for everybody. Especially since it allows you to have drive and purpose beyond running around to Atlas stations.

DarkPrimus on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Second attempt had me huddling in a cave to warm up enough to dash out for enough plutonium to make a power cell, as my life support began to fail.

so... it's a survival mode with no real penalty for death? :/

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Bleh, I just want to find a nice planet to call home now but I'm still only finding planets with atmospheres that are actively trying to kill me.

Just give me a nice green planet that isn't sapping life support at an absurd rate, please.

I may have to backtrack to one of the systems I had that each planet had one of the rare things that were worth quite a bit (pearls and such).
    Seems like a good place for a base.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

so... it's a survival mode with no real penalty for death? :/

When you die you lose all the stuff in your inventory and there's a chance some of your tech will break.

Which really hurts since resources are extremely scarce in survival.

I barely managed to make it to the planet where I'm supposed to find a hyperdrive blueprint only to find out that the sentinels there are hostile.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I played survival mode for an hour and didn't even reach my ship, it's a big change from the base game

PSN- AHermano
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    oh wow

why did i decide to download skyrim special to revisit this week, a week in which i am also hectically busy

i heard base building was coming but nothing about a survival mode. i am excited.

do you ned to start a new game, or can i switch to survival in hilbert?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    oh wow

why did i decide to download skyrim special to revisit this week, a week in which i am also hectically busy

i heard base building was coming but nothing about a survival mode. i am excited.

do you ned to start a new game, or can i switch to survival in hilbert?

Start a new game, the three different modes have different saves I believe.

edited November 2016
    alright, well, that's fine. the early game is the most fun anyway.

edit: i do hope all the other new stuff (bases / freighters) is in survival as well. i'd imagine bases probably serve survival mode more than the others anyway so i don't see why not.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I was kind of waiting for the patch note that said
    • Game is no longer shit

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    • Game is no longer shit

Man, survival mode will be a breeze for you with takes like this to keep you warm

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Game is no longer shit

Man, survival mode will be a breeze for you with takes like this to keep you warm

I don't think that's a hot take. I think that's the standard take.

• Game is no longer shit

I don't think that's a hot take. I think that's the standard take.

NMS is a perfectly mediocre game that got far more press and attention than it ever should have. You gotta trawl a lot deeper on Steam to get to the real shit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I am sorry that I did not like the game the correct amount.

I am sorry that I did not like the game the correct amount.

I mean if you didn't like it you didn't like it. Just felt like a very "dropping a take" thing to pop in and say "hey this thing is shit" like that. Sorry was just trying to crack wise, not start a thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Part of what the $70 I spent on this notoriously shit game bought me was the right to say "this game is shit".

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I never refunded it, I played it several hours, I can agree that it was pretty garbage.

It would have been appropriately priced at $15, maybe.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I nearly refunded it after 90 minutes but figured there had to be something else there.

I nearly refunded it after 90 minutes but figured there had to be something else there.

The game definitely should come with a disclaimer of "if this hasn't clicked within about 40 minutes, you might as well return it". Because, man, I enjoy it well enough, but there really isn't much more to it that what you see from the start.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This update feels a lot more bolted on than I expected.

The day/night cycle works now, and that helps a lot for immersion as well.

But I mean, I was enjoying the game at launch, but was getting kind of tired of it when it started acting like crap for me. The base-building has given me the ability to work towards goals I set for myself, so I can continue to explore for the hell of it, but rather than feeling like an aimless wanderer I feel like an explorer who can return back to a base with all their discoveries.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So is there actually a thing that lets you warp back to your base planet, or are people just going for freighters

6F32U1X.png
    edited November 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So is there actually a thing that lets you warp back to your base planet, or are people just going for freighters

according to the patch notes there's a portal from space stations, yeah.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Mr. G wrote: »

The room in space stations that used to house inventory upgrades now has a teleporter that goes directly to your base.

edited November 2016
    Also there is a build-able teleporter as well? I'm not too sure on that. You can move base planets as well I think so it is a thing that doesn't anchor you to one planet forever.

I played a couple hours of it tonight and I'm still quite enjoying it. It makes for a good chill out game. Still working on getting the things that will let me get the things to build things in my base.

Radiation on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I dont know why i continue to be hopeful for this game to grow.

I really want to be able to explore actual suns and gas planets and asteroid belts. Guess thats never going to happen.

Yeah the base-building is gated behind hiring NPCs and then doing little quest-errands for them, so depending on the planets you are close by, it could be a while before you get a lot of stuff unlocked for building.

Like, I lucked out and selected a planet that had the first three or four elements I needed right there on-site, but then I had to go to other planets in-system and then travel to other systems... but the space station teleporter means it's easy to get back to base.

I wonder if the teleporter works across different galaxies.

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    i cant even find the first item for the base, so i gave up on it to look for a freighter, but now my warp drive is busted and there is zero aluminum on any planet i have found to fix it.

this game gets really frustrating. time for another break i think.

wow, i dunno if i just got unlucky or survival mode is hard

like, i'm wondering if it's even possible to get to my ship. it may well not be

sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.