Options

[No Man's Sky] Your Universe Awaits, and wants you to pick up some stuff on the way

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am deeply afraid of fucking with those whispering eggs

It’s probably not that bad but I am still very afraid

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I am deeply afraid of fucking with those whispering eggs

It’s probably not that bad but I am still very afraid

Follow my tried and true method!
    Shoot! Loot! Scoot!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I took a mission to get a picture of a world with no atmosphere, and there just happened to be a moon in the current system that fit the criteria.

I thought it would be boring since no air, no plants, no animals, but it did happen to have a rather interesting terrain feature occurring regularly across the surface.
    0128D8BCAFF2241531FCAFE775E2D28BDA884560

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    God that rules. This game rules

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Little question: has NMS always used “they” as a pronoun for the races since the start?
    Or have I become more concious about its use after the last 2 years?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I could be wrong but I *think* the game has always been pretty gender-neutral in its language.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Little question: has NMS always used “they” as a pronoun for the races since the start?
    Or have I become more concious about its use after the last 2 years?

AFAIK there have never been male or female pronouns used in any of the interaction text between the space-faring races.

And the animals you can scan have all sorts of genders.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I sincerely appreciate things like 'GENDER: ADAMANT'

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    The weird genders are frickin great. One of the best I saw recently was

Just the perpetual casual fridays of genders. So chill.

• Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    Always be side-eyeing the creatures with

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Crimson Planets are cool as shit. I found one with those spiky ball things that were mentioned earlier. I also found one that looked like this:
    1E5898069030C0543242ABEEA9CFBB8A5E406726

30829EECC5C9CE9756EDE8A5CD0EF8F73921940A

Nothing on either of them other than Cadmium which I hoovered up a full freighter stack of, but they were nice and chill to just hang out on for a while.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Alright, so I'm in.

But I seem to be having a slight hiccup. I'm working my way through The Awakening and am to the point where, according to my logs, I need to build a base.

...but I can't? The base computer is down, the claim is mine, I've uploaded, and that's all I've got. And now I can't even pick up the thing. I feel like I'm missing something. The prompt in the lower right corner of the screen keeps on telling me to search the base archives. Did I miss something on the initial planet? (I'm on planet #2 for me).

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    could be it's waiting for the questline that starts when you build a circular room(?). you'll need to buy a few blueprints first before that one pops up in the blueprint analyser.

edit: yeah, the transition between the new tutorial stuff and the old atlas rises quest is super awkward at the moment

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Alright, so I'm in.

But I seem to be having a slight hiccup. I'm working my way through The Awakening and am to the point where, according to my logs, I need to build a base.

...but I can't? The base computer is down, the claim is mine, I've uploaded, and that's all I've got. And now I can't even pick up the thing. I feel like I'm missing something. The prompt in the lower right corner of the screen keeps on telling me to search the base archives. Did I miss something on the initial planet? (I'm on planet #2 for me).
    Make sure that the base computer questline is active in your quest log (it sounds like it is, but maybe switch off of it and back on), and if interacting with your base computer still doesn't bring up the search archives thing, maybe try moving/flying away from it and then back? Or exit out and reload.

It seems like the base computer doesn't "load" the quest stuff until you have it (the quest) active, which sometimes causes issues.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Hm, k.

One of the people I was playing with mentioned a blue print analyser, but I don't seem to have one?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    How do you get the stuff that you feed to the analyzer?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

You find buried technology. They have the icon that looks like a WiFi signal symbol when looking through the visor. Mark it, run over and use the terrain manipulator to dig it out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Hello, here is a picture of me using your patented "Shoot! Loot! Scoot!" method

7430C799DF8F0BCA42D12DB2E21848E1833E9542

I made several million on this run alone

DD51C74A9B158D1C0BE644412D8E105C239310CF

Fuck you, bugs!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So, multiplayer.

I just hopped over to another system and, as I was flying, got a message that a gentleman by the name of Michael Bay had entered the system. As I was approaching a red, rocky planet to get some solanium I also got a notification of a fugitive ship nearby. I continued to the planet, but the little stars icon that represented the ship stayed visible.

I continue on my way. I find a place to land and begin scouting out my solanium. I harvest some. And then BAM. I am set upon by weapons fire of some sort.

Unhurt but startled, I look around, and there is MICHAEL BAY. He has landed his ship nearby. I hightail it back to my ship, constantly looking over my shoulder to see if Michael Bay is in pursuit. He seems to be exploring the landscape, but I will not take any chances. I hop in my ship and leave the world behind.

Fucking Michael Bay, man.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think it's kinda bullshit I send this frigate out on a one star difficulty trade mission and it gets too damaged to continue

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I came out of warp and saw a massive star destroyer looking freighter begins attacked by pirates. I lept to help, hoping I could buy a ship that dwarfed the other freighters around it.

Sadly I some how aggro’d it while in its defense and it turned on me after I destroyed the fighters. I could not get it back to normal and when trying to save and reload, it disappeared.

It was so cool looking and massive and had a huge number of turrets.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

You find buried technology. They have the icon that looks like a WiFi signal symbol when looking through the visor. Mark it, run over and use the terrain manipulator to dig it out.

Unfortunately, on my most prosperous save, I seem to be having an issue where buried tech doesn’t give me salvage, but Nanites only. I’m wondering if it’s because it was a pre-update save but I can’t do any base stuff right now.

• Options
    I came out of warp and saw a massive star destroyer looking freighter begins attacked by pirates. I lept to help, hoping I could buy a ship that dwarfed the other freighters around it.

Sadly I some how aggro’d it while in its defense and it turned on me after I destroyed the fighters. I could not get it back to normal and when trying to save and reload, it disappeared.

It was so cool looking and massive and had a huge number of turrets.

If things are still the way they used to be, it is unfortunately really easy to turn freighters hostile by accidentally hitting them while firing on attacking ships. I stopped firing on the pirates at all unless they were in clear space and not in front of the freighter.

• Options
    I've blown up half this asteroid field and not gotten an ounce of platinum

• Options
    Now I can't repair my frigate! It's telling me there's still one damaged console but nothing is marked and I can't interact with any of them because I already fixed them all

I just... man I know these guys have done a lot of work but it's been two years
    I think they should have had basic stuff like "not rendering frigates permanently broken" figured out

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I disabled network play because within five minutes of turning on the game after a full days work and commute, somebody on here joined my game and tried to kill me.

Edit: an understanding has been reached

Weaver on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

look for any weird spikey asteroids, they usually have it in them

took a few system jumps to find any like that though

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So I was getting a little bored going through my base questline, and I decided I'd start warping places and checking new things out, since I needed to get some new resources to progress anyway

And I warp into this new system, and come screaming out of warp within like a thousand feet of the bow of the most colossal fucking ship I've ever seen in this game. It's so large the prow fills my fucking screen
    4E3C6F197145B218EEF92F9BF3D45360CD8D7EE8

This is a shot I got when I turned hard and came up alongside it -- it was so absurdly large I couldn't get my fighter close enough to give a proper sense of scale, because any closer and there wasn't an angle that fit the bulk of it inside the frame

And check out that flotilla behind them! That's some Homeworld shit, man. Imagine warping into a system and this is the literal first thing you see, I swear I was half-convinced I'd stumbled onto a fucking battleship in a game where I was ninety nine percent sure no battleships existed

Anyway, they're under attack by some fighters (as if they could ever fucking bother this monstrosity) and so I help out and go aboard, knowing I could never ever afford this thing but wanting to know the stupefyingly high price anyway
    72E4B7FD8603C432A43BAD6CDAEE3AB9F72E333E

I was appropriately stupefied

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I had a weird price thing with regards to my first multi-tool upgrade (from one to another)

Get in this habitat and talk to this guy and he is apparently terrified, he drops to his knees and offers me his gun.

Sure why not, I say to my self.

Lowers my standing with his race. BUT.

It’s a pretty great rifle... except like 8 slots need repairing.

I was discouraged but said why not, Hell its a class b!

Wait, wonder how much this multi-tool rifle they have for sale here is...

With trading in the busted one... 1.5 mil drops to 240k.

SOLD!

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »

Unfortunately, on my most prosperous save, I seem to be having an issue where buried tech doesn’t give me salvage, but Nanites only. I’m wondering if it’s because it was a pre-update save but I can’t do any base stuff right now.
    I have the impression that you have the biggest chance for Salvaged Tecnology if your Buried Technology is having a blue glow. If it is an orange glow, it’s probably Nanites. So it’s a bit of a luck game; on one planet I found loads of blue and a little bit of orange, on another one they were almost all orange...
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    5 Tritium refines into 1 Platinum, you see that you drown in Tritium and refine it all; if you find Pyrite on the trade market, but 200-250 of that and use that as fuel for your pulse engine instead of Tritium, you ‘ll last way longer with one stack of Pyrite. The same goes for Uranium; one stack of Uranium will last you longer than loads of the Starship Fuel to fuel your Launch Thrusters.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    my favourite thing about base building so far is the deep sense of post-colonial regret when deciding which tree to explode with a laser beam next

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    my favourite thing about base building so far is the deep sense of post-colonial regret when deciding which tree to explode with a laser beam next

Oh god yes this!

One the one hand, I can walk over the next mountain peak and clear out that forest... but

I’m lazy and I don’t wanna.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ok two multiplayer things I hope they add: the ability to share missions you have with eligible squad members. And for people in your party to be able to see your base npcs. I wanted to show my friend all my cute npc pals in my base, but he couldn't see them.

Also what exactly does that backup base cache machine do?

Platinum is normally always in those crystal formations in the belt isn't it? Sometimes I can't grab it cos of inventory space drives me mad. Also repairing frigates is awesome but yeah sometimes the icons are maddeningly hard to find

They need to hire a proper ui team. And maybe a combat expansion in the distant future, or if not that then the distant no man's sky 2.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ok two multiplayer things I hope they add: the ability to share missions you have with eligible squad members. And for people in your party to be able to see your base npcs. I wanted to show my friend all my cute npc pals in my base, but he couldn't see them.

Also what exactly does that backup base cache machine do?

Platinum is normally always in those crystal formations in the belt isn't it? Sometimes I can't grab it cos of inventory space drives me mad. Also repairing frigates is awesome but yeah sometimes the icons are maddeningly hard to find

They need to hire a proper ui team. And maybe a combat expansion in the distant future, or if not that then the distant no man's sky 2.

i didn't like the idea of a combat expansion until i realised... frigates have open decks now. 'space pirate battle' is starting to have an even better ring to it!

p.s. i think the backup base cache lets you rebuild your old pre-NEXT base

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I got a A-rank multi tool real quicklike

still repairing it, but it's gonna take me places

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    If you need platinum you can just refine the pulse drive fuel.

• Options
    how i repair my luxury frigate:
    ldO5wIL.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So when you buy a new frigate do you have to rebuild your base that's in it?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    I got a A-rank multi tool real quicklike

still repairing it, but it's gonna take me places

Now that I'm rolling in credits I definitely want to get a new multi-tool, is there anything I should be looking for in particular? Also, I've only seen them in space stations, I take it you can find them out in the wild?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    your freighter is your main base / command ship, frigates are the entourage ships you accumulate and can send out on missions. they come in three types/classes (?), have different stats and designs, and you can go on board to repair them (though not to further customise or basebuild as far as i'm aware)

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.