As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omegathon

• PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Make it easier to see what's going on, too. With the number of people there, we need something better than looking over people's shoulders. Get a feed up on the big projector or something.

Essentially yes.

If you want the Omegathon rounds to be a spectacle, make them a spectacle. Big Screen, lights, Mike and Jerry on the mics if not some kindof anouncer (KHOO!). Don't expect people to just show up and make it big if you're not doing so in the first place.

Polago on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    that's it, i guess i better start answering my cell phone

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »
    Make it easier to see what's going on, too. With the number of people there, we need something better than looking over people's shoulders. Get a feed up on the big projector or something.

Essentially yes.

If you want the Omegathon rounds to be a spectacle, make them a spectacle. Big Screen, lights, Mike and Jerry on the mics if not some kindof anouncer (KHOO!). Don't expect people to just show up and make it big if you're not doing so in the first place.

I agree. When I first imagined the OMEGATHON, I thought it was going to be this big show that nobody could possibly miss. With spotlights, blaring theme music, confetti, etc.

And I support the idea of having Leeroy Feinburg compete again. He could put on a show. Heyyy, what if Leeroy hosted the OMEGATHON?? Having a crowd-motivating host (maybe a mascot?) might be fun.

QuizMaster on
  • RisseRisse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    QuizMaster wrote: »

Essentially yes.

I agree. When I first imagined the OMEGATHON, I thought it was going to be this big show that nobody could possibly miss. With spotlights, blaring theme music, confetti, etc.

And I support the idea of having Leeroy Feinburg compete again. He could put on a show. Heyyy, what if Leeroy hosted the OMEGATHON?? Having a crowd-motivating host (maybe a mascot?) might be fun.

I agree with all of this and actually being able to watch the event is pretty important if you want it to be hyped (last year's Mario Kart DS was merely a crowd looking at the Omeganauts on Sumo chairs). And if you make a big deal of anything, people will get excited for it. I especially think having Leroy as a host would be lots of fun! He certainly is a damn charmer. All Flock o' Seagulls-esque Guitar Heroism is awesome in my book.

Risse on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been to all 3 PAXes, and the only Omegathon rounds I've caught were the ones in the theater and a round of Mario Kart DD. Only reason I watched Mario Kart was because I happened to be in the console room at the time. But the others, they were turned into must-see events. Who can forget the epic back-and-forth, won-at-the-last-second game of Combat? Or the one Omeganaut who sucked so badly at Karoke Revolution but got a standing oviation when he finally scored some points? Or getting to see not-yet-released Guitar Hero 2, featuring Khoo's h4x, Tycho's guitar smashing, and the Minibosses' bassist totally pwning Frontalot's bassist on War Pigs?

Admittedly, the final round has a much easier time getting this sort of draw because it's the final round, but that's not to say the other rounds couldn't. Get an announcer (if you want my advice, don't get the guy who was at the Fury booth), broadcast is all around the center, and try to isolate it on the schedule as much as possible (I figure I'm not in the minority in thinking that if it's a choice between Round 3 of the Omegathon and the Draw Monday's Strip panel, I'm going to the panel).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Heyyy, what if Leeroy hosted the OMEGATHON??

That would be pretty rad.

Doc on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seriously, Leeroy would make a great Official PAX Omegathon Host.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did I miss something? Leroy never struck me as the king of all awesome. I only saw him at the finals, and he was just another finalist to me. Is he some really great guy in person or something?

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did I miss something? Leroy never struck me as the king of all awesome. I only saw him at the finals, and he was just another finalist to me. Is he some really great guy in person or something?

Yeah...I mean, he had cool hair and whatnot so he stood out and stuff. I think everyone just has a mancrush on him.

xxhennersxx on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    spydey wrote: »
    If the Omegathon could be held in one room instead of moving based on the event I think that would help.

Yeah, I didn't really go for anything but the final event last year, but the year before that, it was all over the place, including out in the main thoroughfares, which made watching an incredible pain in the ass.

Also, frankly, there's a lot more interesting stuff that I want to do at PAX, than watch a group of people play a game, when I'm not involved.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited May 2007

Yeah...I mean, he had cool hair and whatnot so he stood out and stuff. I think everyone just has a mancrush on him.

While I admit his hair was unique, that's hardly the best reason to start eyeing him to replace Jerry and Mike (who I think both do great jobs with commentary during the Omegathon finals).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

Yes. Also, he came in second two years ago, then came in first last year when he was invited back. He's a great gamer.

Doc on
    edited May 2007
    Well yeah, I knew that, somewhat clearly implied by having said 'I only saw him at the finals'

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Let me be the first to say "I hope I get picked for the Omegathon."

Holy shit. Tokyo Game Show + $5000? God damn.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Might I be the first to say the trip to japan is a longggg ass flight. That said, its a welcomed experince

I've always wanted to see japan. Tokyo would be MASSIVE. akibara circus is a must if you go. And definitely a maid restaurant with all kinds of creepy otaku inside.

Ya this would have to be the best omegathon prize ever.

Viscountalpha on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When I first imagined the OMEGATHON, I thought it was going to be this big show that nobody could possibly miss. With spotlights, blaring theme music, confetti, etc.
    Funny, that was precisely my take on it, given the prize. I was expecting a 3-day game show. Instead, I occasionally heard something over the loudspeaker, but except for final rounds, finding the event was a matter of chance.

A Tokyo game show theme? That idea is bursting with awesome sauce.
    Well, a great player does not always make a great host. If you've ever heard one of Magic Johnson's sportscasts, you know what I'm sayin'.

A player should play.

So I would suggest having a "final boss battle", where the winner of this year's Omegathon has to play the winner of last year's Omegathon for... uh... a trophy with "final boss" on it or something. Whoever wins is the final boss for next year. And so on. Maybe put years and names on it like the Stanley Cup.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    When I first imagined the OMEGATHON, I thought it was going to be this big show that nobody could possibly miss. With spotlights, blaring theme music, confetti, etc.
    Funny, that was precisely my take on it, given the prize. I was expecting a 3-day game show. Instead, I occasionally heard something over the loudspeaker, but except for final rounds, finding the event was a matter of chance.

A Tokyo game show theme? That idea is bursting with awesome sauce.
    Well, a great player does not always make a great host. If you've ever heard one of Magic Johnson's sportscasts, you know what I'm sayin'.

A player should play.

So I would suggest having a "final boss battle", where the winner of this year's Omegathon has to play the winner of last year's Omegathon for... uh... a trophy with "final boss" on it or something. Whoever wins is the final boss for next year. And so on. Maybe put years and names on it like the Stanley Cup.

A belt, you ingrate. A championship BELT.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Gabe wrote:
    Something I look forward to every year is the Omegathon. We’ll actually be taking a lot of steps this year to make the Omegathon a more important and interactive part of the show experience. I can’t say much more about those ideas right now but I can tell you what this year’s Omegathon prize will be. I think each year we’ve been able to out do the previous year’s prize and this year is no exception. The winner of the 2007 Omegathon will receive a trip for two to the Tokyo Game Show along with $5,000 is spending money. We’ll be taking care of everything for you from airfare to hotel and giving you some cash to spread around once you get there. The Tokyo Game Show will be held Sept. 22-23 at the Makuhari Messe convention complex just outside Tokyo. This is honestly something I’ve always wanted to attend. Just a heads up, if you win this I expect a full report.

This officially tops all three years combined.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    But how many of the Omeganauts are even going to know Japanese enough to get around Tokyo... Tokyo game show theme for the eliminator first round would be pretty rad. Maybe it could be done like a hour before the doors open to give us a good show while we wait with the doors opening right when it ends.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    But how many of the Omeganauts are even going to know Japanese enough to get around Tokyo... Tokyo game show theme for the eliminator first round would be pretty rad. Maybe it could be done like a hour before the doors open to give us a good show while we wait with the doors opening right when it ends.

A point indeed, you should throw in a translator. Uh, my fiance is conversant in Japanese, how about including the two of us to help out the winner? :P

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

A point indeed, you should throw in a translator. Uh, my fiance is conversant in Japanese, how about including the two of us to help out the winner? :P

But it would be more entertaining if we could watch them try to interact somehow without a translator.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    That has reality show written all over it. Somebody call the networks.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Japan isn't as bad as it once was for gaijin. They have americanized a lot. The winner should definitely need katakana & hiragana to navigate and learn what the symbols for "Bathroom" are. And how to pee in old style Japaneses toilets (no I'm not kidding about this point) or the most important part, To know where the bad parts of town are and stay the hell out of them.

Viscountalpha on
  • yoshi1001230yoshi1001230 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hello,
    I am in charge of running the Omegathon, that kick ass gamming competition at PAX. In the last three years of PAX the Omegathon has not drawn the crowd that an event like this should pull. As PAX is being planned this year one of the things I would like do is collect ideas from you on how to get more people coming to watch the competition.
    If you are planning on going to PAX, what would it take to get you to come to these events? 20 gamers pour their hearts out and we want a crowd at each game cheering them on.
    Thanks.
    I think it could help a great deal to have one live web feed and have a live feed going to two TVs in high traffic areas around PAX, that whole out of sight out of mind thing is a big factor I'm sure, I know if I saw some guy/girl getting his/her ass handed to him/her I would like to go see it in person just to at least see him/her storm off of stage.

yoshi1001230 on
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had the opportunity to visit Japan last year at the beginning of April. I went with two friends and our combined Japanese knowledge consisted of saying "I don't know how to speak Japanese" and "Can you speak English?" It was amazing.

There is nothing in this world like going to the biggest city on the planet and trying to navigate it in a foreign language while trying to see the sights. There's enough English on the trains that if you make it a point to be prepared (I had a English PDF of the train routes on my PDA), that you can navigate the city to your heart's content.

I'm sure that there's things we missed out on because of our language barrier, but we were able to travel all over Tokyo, visit the monkey spas in northern Japan after riding the Shinkansen, visit the shrines in Nikko, and we even managed to get drunk in Roppongi where I feel asleep on some stairs near a hobo.

You can read all about it in the journal I wrote during my time there (no shameless plug, just info on Japan).

http://anable.livejournal.com/

anable on
  • StifinStifin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have to agree with all the ideas mentioned along the lines of theme music, lights, hyping the contestants, even having a host. I think that one major problem in getting people interested in the tournament is Diceland. Another is things like Mario Kart DS that are just hard for anyone to see, even though they'd be fun to watch.

I mentioned in a thread a while back that one of the best parts of PAX 06 was the Guitar Hero part of the Omegathon. Making a concert out of a video game could not happen anywhere but PAX. Same for the Omegathon itself, so take that and find a way to apply the same over-the-top presentation to the other games and you've got your answer.

Stifin on
    "The most aesthetically pleasing kick in the balls in the history of modern cinema" -William Goldman

banner.png
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stifin wrote: »
    I have to agree with all the ideas mentioned along the lines of theme music, lights, hyping the contestants, even having a host. I think that one major problem in getting people interested in the tournament is Diceland. Another is things like Mario Kart DS that are just hard for anyone to see, even though they'd be fun to watch.

I mentioned in a thread a while back that one of the best parts of PAX 06 was the Guitar Hero part of the Omegathon. Making a concert out of a video game could not happen anywhere but PAX. Same for the Omegathon itself, so take that and find a way to apply the same over-the-top presentation to the other games and you've got your answer.

yeah diceland is boring, as for mario kart DS...

IMG_1144.jpg

if you could use those that were being used by Nintendo that would fix the problem..

xxhennersxx on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Durr.

That was my recommendation. :P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have an idea regarding the Diceland thing that people might find kinda amusing.

There's 20 people right? Go buy a giant D20, and see who REALLY rolls 20's. to shake it up, have it be 3 rolls, and maybe a map of sorts (like a giant hopscotch chalkdrawn thing) with multipliers or bankrupts, etc. If someone rolls a 20 however, they are automatically through to the next round. Highest remaining scores win.

It's simple and easy to get behind and cheer, has a flavour unique to the show itself, has an element of skill as well as chance, there's no talent or experience gap, and the audience could even be the pre-registrant/registration lines themselves outside or inside the center. If the map was a print of somekind or fabric, it could be auctioned off for child's play as a piece of the show, along with the D20 signed by Mike, Jerry, and Robert.

That round would have 4 eliminations to knock it down to 16 for round 2, which works nicely since many games have a 16 person support or limit. I actually have ideas for a game per round that would be entertaining to watch, allow for a more equal skill level, a balance of generations, and a REALLY great final. Dunno who i'd have to talk with to convey these ideas (including everything surrounding each round), or whether they'd give a rat's ass/have decided the final format already.

At the very worst, the first round would be better than Diceland.

Polago on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have an idea regarding the Diceland thing that people might find kinda amusing.

There's 20 people right? Go buy a giant D20, and see who REALLY rolls 20's. to shake it up, have it be 3 rolls, and maybe a map of sorts (like a giant hopscotch chalkdrawn thing) with multipliers or bankrupts, etc. If someone rolls a 20 however, they are automatically through to the next round. Highest remaining scores win.

It's simple and easy to get behind and cheer, has a flavour unique to the show itself, has an element of skill as well as chance, there's no talent or experience gap, and the audience could even be the pre-registrant/registration lines themselves outside or inside the center. If the map was a print of somekind or fabric, it could be auctioned off for child's play as a piece of the show, along with the D20 signed by Mike, Jerry, and Robert.

That round would have 4 eliminations to knock it down to 16 for round 2, which works nicely since many games have a 16 person support or limit. I actually have ideas for a game per round that would be entertaining to watch, allow for a more equal skill level, a balance of generations, and a REALLY great final. Dunno who i'd have to talk with to convey these ideas (including everything surrounding each round), or whether they'd give a rat's ass/have decided the final format already.

At the very worst, the first round would be better than Diceland.

He does have a point there.
    Diceland is alot like playing a slot machine.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hm... how about more links that actually tell people what the heck Omegathon is?

I mean, I know about it, but I certainly haven't had any luck finding a good description of what it's all about anywhere on the forums or on the PAX site.

padmeamanda on
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know, you can add all sorts of weird gimmicks to tabletop but I think it just makes a poor spectator's game. I understand the reasoning for its inclusion since being the "omega gamer" is supposed to encompass all kinds of gaming, but unless there's some fantastically visual, skill-based tabletop game that I'm unaware of, I think it should be dumped for the sake of entertainment.

Thello on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hm... how about more links that actually tell people what the heck Omegathon is?

I mean, I know about it, but I certainly haven't had any luck finding a good description of what it's all about anywhere on the forums or on the PAX site.

The news archive on the front page is a good place to start.

Did a search for omegathon and found a newspost from Last year named... Omegathon!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/08/11#1155294420

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited May 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

Did a search for omegathon and found a newspost from Last year named... Omegathon!

Awesome, thanks dude. :) I totally remember reading that article last year, too.

It would be nice if there was an easy-to-find blurb about it on the PAX site though for next year, even something vaguely hinting about what it's about with a "games to be announced later" message sort of thing...

padmeamanda on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

This is good information but not everyone that goes to PAX reads the forums. I just saw that a forum link was added to the front page, but something as integral as the Omegathon deserves it's own space. Anyone know who's in charge of the PAX site?

anable on
    edited May 2007
    I emailed Mike F, sounds like he's going to add it to the FAQ. :)

padmeamanda on
  • yourevilgodyourevilgod Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If there was a big button on the pennyarcadeexpo homepage that just said OMEGATHON on cool letters that looks daunting and when you clicked that you got a brief description of what it entailed and maybee interviews with previous players so when people are curious as to what it takes to actually play in it they would know. maybee some pics and what not. If the games are announced before PAX (im not sure im new to PAX but i have wanted to go for the last couple years...back story stuff, anyway) then we could have names of players and the games so not only will they be able to get SOME practice in but spectators will have an interpersoanl "relationship" with the players. oh and a REALLY BIG VIEWSCREEN (all caps to give an idea as to how big it should be) would be sweet.

yourevilgod on
    BEHOLD, The pwnage of Cheese
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Omeganauts are usually announced about a month in advance, along with the games, except for the super-duper-secret final round (note: my memory sucks with things that have occurred in the past).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited May 2007
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The Omeganauts are usually announced about a month in advance, along with the games, except for the super-duper-secret final round (note: my memory sucks with things that have occurred in the past).

Pong, Combat, Tetris (tengen?) For the super secret final round.

This year the super secret game is--- An atari arcade machine! Space duel! in its original cabinet!

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9647
    I wish it was anyhow

Viscountalpha on
  • Magically_StoopidMagically_Stoopid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally the problem I think with Omagathon is simply that it's going on right when a panel discussion is, or something like that. Simply stating that it needs to be scheduled better, and be in one place instead of everywhere and anywhere.

Actually since we're on the subject, I had an idea last night for how the Saturday night (aka before the concerts) event could go. The game would be Wii Sports - Bowling, and the eight finalists would be put into two groups of four. Then they would play two games a piece and the team with the best overall score wins.

Here's where things get interesting though. The two top scorers on each team would get special perks with winning. The top scorer on the losing team will still get a bye into the next round. The winning team's top scorer...

Gets a bye directly into the finals.

You can't buy that kind of tension.

Then the final four people would battle it out for the last spot (With whoever got the bye there to mock his 'weaker foes'). Then the finals would be all set.

Sure it breaks majorly from tradiation, but sometimes things can use a kick in the bread basket.

Magically_Stoopid on
    Crustyrailgun.gif
    My Wii numbers - 5427 1165 2806 1979
    ~PM me if you add me to your Wii Address book with your Wii numbers~
This discussion has been closed.