Options

Who (or What) is the Most Iconic Villain of All Time?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Other (please specify)
    Time is the greatest villain of all. It unwillingly takes us each in turn

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The Joker
    me

Yeah I change my answer it's aj

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Darth Vader
    If it isn't Vader, it's definitely Dracula. Even if you've never seen Star Wars or read Dracula, decades/centuries of cultural osmosis have ingrained those two characters into the collective psyche. The other options just don't have broad enough reach. ( though Jason gets close on the hockey mask alone)

Also, why no Hitler option? I guess it's the same problem as Satan.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dracula
    dracula is the only character on this list whose traits have extended beyond portrayals of dracula

he's a predator, a seductor, a wizard, and a wild animal

he's weak to the tools of a workman and of a priest

it's gotta be dracula

the only one i'd say actually gives him a run for his money is grendel, because of what grendel represents as this creature from the unknown, who is almost but not quite like a man

but even though grendel represents a lot of Big Ideas he himself is not all that iconic

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dracula
    I am fond of Darth Vader and Dracula, can't make up my mind between them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    it's gary

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Spider-man!

tumblr_inline_nrrr5jVSYX1tvwaxl_540.jpg

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    qJh2pdM.jpg

This baseball cap.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Dracula
    Literally the most iconic thing ever created

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Darth Vader

because of my relative age when seeing the movie for the first time (I was about 8 or 9), the xenomoprh always produced the most visceral response from me

I think a lot of the response was also based around the idea that it couldn't be talked to or reasoned with, it was only ever going to be satisfied with eating you

like I had nightmares about this thing for years afterwards

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Shit I've never read Dracula and the only movie I've seen all the way through about him was dead and loving it and I still have what feels like a pretty good understanding of the character.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Dracula
    See, the Alien/Xenomorph is terrifying to me, but I wouldn't class it as a villain because it's basically just an animal and has no capacity for schemes which I think are integral to the whole villainy thing.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Darth Vader
    It was a toss-up between Vader and Dracula, and I basically went with the one that I personally consider the most iconic based on my age, nationality, culture, etc. Plus specifically when talking about 'iconic' to me that means both an immediate visual recognition along with the core traits/elements of the actual character, and I think Vader edges Dracula there. Like, most of the things you'd use to describe Dracula's look and behavior are actually just associated with vampires in general (rightly or wrongly). Dracula's the most famous vampire, obviously, but it's hard to describe Drac in a way that doesn't just describe a person's image of all vampires. Meanwhile, Vader is completely unique in his presentation and characterization.

That being said, on a worldwide, cross-cultural level, Dracula would probably take it. I don't think any of the others on the list really come close in a modern context (like The Joker is right out for me because then you have to ask 'well which Joker is the most iconic' at which point he's already lost in my opinion).

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Other (please specify)
    Honestly.. It's Dracula. Everyone knows who he is, has an idea of what he looks like, knows his weaknesses... You can take say that about everyone on this list.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    This is mostly my personal take, but what makes a good villain is presence. Not just when they're in the scene but even when they're not. Other characters have to acknowledge that the villain has an affect either on them or the world or both. Whether it's fear or respect or another aspect, the villain needs to leave an indelible mark. Of the ones on the list, Vader, Grendel, Dracula and The Joker are the ones I have the most familiarity with and I think they have this quality.

I can think of a few others off the top of my head that arguably fit the bill as well.

Sauron: I know almost entirely from the movies (tried the books when I was young. Never finished), but usually when people talked about him they never did so lightly. This was a person who almost conquered Middle Earth and the aftermath was still felt centuries later.

Voldemort: This is an example of a more psychological effect. At the beginning of the series, I'm pretty sure we could count the people who could say his name without flinching on one hand. So he clearly knew how to scare people and by all accounts also came pretty damn close to taking over as well at the beginning.

Captain Flint/Long John Silver: Ok, it's actually been a really long time since I read the book so my memory is a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure we never actually meet Flint, just characters that knew him or knew his reputation. This is kind of what I'm talking about. Since we never meet Flint all we see is how he's changed his world and people still are afraid and/or show respect. Silver on the other hand, doesn't have that infamy going and I think it's intentional but still he commanded a certain amount of respect and was a fairly complicated figure in that he was also a father figure to Jim as well as a villain.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts/ramblings.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    bullshit poll doesn't have the motherfucking clock king on it good day sir

• Options
    Other (please specify)
    It's not best villain... It's most iconic.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The Joker
    I dunno. I was torn between Vader and Joker.

Vader definitely has the look, but when I stop to consider what each of them stands for, I had to lean towards Joker.

Vader's is a tragic story of misplaced allegiance and anger-fueled purpose. He's Lawful Evil.

But the Joker is pure chaos. He's evil for evil's sake.

I am open to other considerations, however.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dracula
    bullshit poll doesn't have the motherfucking clock king on it good day sir

well yeah, i wanted to make it competitive. otherwise it would have been just all clock king all the way down.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Darth Vader
    See, the Alien/Xenomorph is terrifying to me, but I wouldn't class it as a villain because it's basically just an animal and has no capacity for schemes which I think are integral to the whole villainy thing.

But how did they cut the fucking power, man?!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The Joker
    Well, the Alien queen probably has at least human-level intelligence.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Darth Vader
    HeadCreeps wrote: »

But how did they cut the fucking power, man?!

Why don't you put her in charge?!

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Dracula
    I was going to write in Doctor Doom, but sadly I think he's lost a lot of his greater cultural presence due to Fox constantly fucking him up. Still think he's the overall best villain, though. As for Vader, I feel like his redemption in Jedi lessens his villainy, so Dracula came out ahead there.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Darth Vader
    I agree with Houk pretty much, I feel Dracula as an iconic villain has been diluted over the years by vampires in general, comedic portrayals, and your anti-hero Alucards.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Does the Grim Reaper / Personification of Death get excluded due to the religion reason?

Out of the ones listed, Dracula probably takes it with Darth Vader close behind.

Anyways, some other potential runner-ups: Captain Hook, Elmer Fudd, Godzilla, Lex Luthor, Mr. Burns, Mr. Hyde, the Queen of Hearts ,the Sheriff of Nottingham, and the Terminator

Disney probably has someone fairly high up there (Evil Stepmother? Jafar? Maleficient? Scar?).

And perhaps not widely known enough to be iconic, but if we're talking best villains then Scorpius and Xanatos.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dracula
    i think the fact that dracula's signature traits have transcended the figure of dracula and become ingrained in popular culture as a whole is a plus for his overall iconicness, not a minus

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dracula
    Lars wrote: »
    Does the Grim Reaper / Personification of Death get excluded due to the religion reason?

Out of the ones listed, Dracula probably takes it with Darth Vader close behind.

Anyways, some other potential runner-ups: Captain Hook, Elmer Fudd, Godzilla, Lex Luthor, Mr. Burns, Mr. Hyde, the Queen of Hearts ,the Sheriff of Nottingham, and the Terminator

Disney probably has someone fairly high up there (Evil Stepmother? Jafar? Maleficient? Scar?).

And perhaps not widely known enough to be iconic, but if we're talking best villains then Scorpius and Xanatos.

Actually every single one of those you mentioned was brought up during the conversations me and my brother have had.

We have been talking about this shit for like three weeks, it's madness.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Darth Vader
    i think the fact that dracula's signature traits have transcended the figure of dracula and become ingrained in popular culture as a whole is a plus for his overall iconicness, not a minus

If this was most iconic character I might agree but it's villain.

Vampires aren't antagonists now, they're things to enter into weird abusive relationships with.

Edit: Actually I guess they've been the latter pretty much all along so I guess I don't have much of a point.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dracula
    7DxTY.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Darth Vader
    Lars wrote: »

Scorpius was a terrible will without morality made flesh.

• Options
    Dracula
    Vampires can't even get boners tho

• Options
    Darth Vader
    Maybe your vampires can't.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I want to do a cop out answer of Sauron because he is a villain that is basically only a burning eye icon and a sense of utter dread and despair and evil will made manifest.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20070608034258

• Options
    Darth Vader
    Drago's just the spirit of Soviet Communism made manifest. Cool, yes. Iconic for his time, deffo. He ain't aged well though and lacks the timeless qualities Vader and Drac have

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    I can tell you, it's certainly not my scheming vizier. Loyal and faithful, I entrust them to make sure my young and immature children inherit the kingdom when I eventually pass away in my feeble and easily tricked age

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I can tell you, it's certainly not my scheming vizier. Loyal and faithful, I entrust them to make sure my young and immature children inherit the kingdom when I eventually pass away in my feeble and easily tricked age

Your confidence is well placed, sire, I assure you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Professor Moriarty
    Had to give a vote to the most dapper, but my real vote is Scorpius.