Options

Who (or What) is the Most Iconic Villain of All Time?

12346

Posts

  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Darth Vader
    Also, Frankenstein's "monster" is not the villain of that story. Dr. Frankenstein's the villain.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    i am convinced everyone not voting for dracula is a secret dracula

    6vjsgrerts6r.png

  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    But

    You didn't vote for Dracula

  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The Joker
    Actual addition to the list: Baba Yaga or The Crone

    My buddy Justin brought Baba Yaga up but in the end we decided that she's not especially well known outside folklore fans or the Slavic areas of the world.

    I mean

    That is a pretty big area!

    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Darth Vader
    Dig through the ditches
    Burn through the witches
    Slam in the back of my
    Dracula

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Other (please specify)
    The real villain is CAPITALISM

  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    But

    You didn't vote for Dracula

    i am gunning for dracula

    i voted for myself

    i am convinced people not voting for dracula are in fact secret draculas

    vow, sweet vow

    i was the secret dracula all along

    6vjsgrerts6r.png

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    I mean it is no secret that I am in fact a dracula

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    knitdan wrote: »
    Also, Frankenstein's "monster" is not the villain of that story. Dr. Frankenstein's the villain.

    Doesn't the Creature specifically say at some point that he is intentionally assuming the role of villain? Or maybe he only says that in a certain version.

    In versions where he is smart enough to know what he's doing is wrong and he does them anyway in an effort to hurt Dr. Frankenstein, I'd say he would qualify as a villain. Even if the whole thing starts because Victor plays god and won't own up to it, that wouldn't absolve the Creature the crimes he is knowingly committing.
    knitdan wrote: »
    Dig through the ditches
    Burn through the witches
    Slam in the back of my
    Dracula

    That's Dragula!

    But it is driven by a Dracula:
    Both_cars_01.jpg

    Lars on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Dracula
    knitdan wrote: »
    Also, Frankenstein's "monster" is not the villain of that story. Dr. Frankenstein's the villain.

    That's why we took him out of the running, in fact.

    Edit: we also had a good long talk about Shakespeare villains, Iago and Thybault and them.

    Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    THE GREATEST VILLAIN IS PEDANTRY.

    wait so the most Iconic Villain is OmnipotentBagel

    Worst villain maybe, but iconic specifically means "one people think of" and ain't nobody know who I am.

    That's the biggest problem with most of y'all's arguments here--the question basically boils down to a Family Feud poll. If we asked a hundred random people to name the first villain that came to their mind, what would be the number one answer on the board? It's not "who is your favorite villain" or "who do you think was the best at villainy" it's "who is the most iconic--who most represents the concept of a villain to the average person?"

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster are both bad boys.

  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dracula
    The real villain is CAPITALISM

    This is the Secret Correct Answer

  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Uriel wrote: »
    I mean it is no secret that I am in fact a dracula

    I have posted photographic evidence of my vampirism to these very forums.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    I've tried to change my avatar away from Raziel multiple times over the years but it just feels wrong.

    Besides Tam drew me this awesome one I am using and I love it.

  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Uriel wrote: »
    I've tried to change my avatar away from Raziel multiple times over the years but it just feels wrong.

    Besides Tam drew me this awesome one I am using and I love it.

    I always thought it was Auron

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Other (please specify)
    I do suppose I could have shrunk and cropped it better?

    Also I don't even like FF10!

    Also FUCK I lost the original full sized image.

    Uriel on
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Darth Vader
    Actual addition to the list: Baba Yaga or The Crone

    THE CRONE YOU SAY?!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL7ndxWgW5A

    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Uriel wrote: »
    I do suppose I could have shrunk and cropped it better?

    Also I don't even like FF10!

    Also FUCK I lost the original full sized image.

    Nah, I just don't know the source. Like I know of the name Raziel as an archangel but not as a specific character in anything.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Darth Vader
    TOP TWENTY DRACULAS (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):

    dracula bus, the bus of the undead
    assisted living dracula
    count chocula
    count duckula
    count orloff
    bunnicula
    gerard butler dracula
    christopher lee dracua
    castlevania dracula
    blacula
    dario argento dracula
    carlos villarias dracula
    bela lugosi dracula
    monster squad dracula
    monster in my pocket dracula
    gene colan dracula
    alexander lucard
    dracula untold dracula
    leslie nielsen dracula
    original novel dracula

    Utter brilliance. Your jib's cut is laser accurate.

  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Uriel wrote: »
    I do suppose I could have shrunk and cropped it better?

    Also I don't even like FF10!

    Also FUCK I lost the original full sized image.

    Nah, I just don't know the source. Like I know of the name Raziel as an archangel but not as a specific character in anything.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOKzTHaPfM

  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Darth Vader
    Man, I really want another Legacy of Kain

    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Man, I really want another Legacy of Kain

    I've given up hope myself.

    I still have a copy of soul reaver though.

    No PS1 though, I really should get the PS classics copy on my vita.

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Other (please specify)
    Uriel wrote: »
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    Man, I really want another Legacy of Kain

    I've given up hope myself.

    I still have a copy of soul reaver though.

    No PS1 though, I really should get the PS classics copy on my vita.

    VAE VICTIS!

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dracula
    hello it's dracula. please enjoy this shameless self promotion of why
    Melding wrote: »
    and because "Rorshach Kringle" was talking about draculas on twitter, i present you with this.

    Greater Vampire (or, The Dracula)

    When someone says ‘vampire’ these days the most common image conjured is that of a swave man or woman with a refined look about them, that hides dark power and a lust for the blood. That is the Greater Vampire to a T. Unlike most reanimated corpses the Greater Vampire is actually intelligent, or at least comparatively, and possess intact memories of being alive. Many believe that the new creature is the previous person given new life, but they’re wrong. Very wrong. This new being is as much your old friend as your new kitten is your last cat that died. Sure, they might act the same, but there is a new evil core of undying hunger in there. And this is also true about the vampire. Many vampires will attempt to act like the former body, as from their memories the world is given context but over time this is typically shed to unleash a far more savvy predator.

    Greater Vampires have a number of supernatural abilities at their command, from mental domination of lesser beings, assuming the form of mist, regeneration, to super human strength. Many claim that can turn into a swarm of bats or a pack of wolves but this is not true, and is often just clever timing on their part, as most greater vampires are former magicians or necromancers the importance of timing and illusions is not lost on them. Draculas tend to avoid physical conflict when able, relying on mental domination to force animals and weak willed people to fight for them in addition to any thralls they might have on hand, but this doesn’t mean they are a slouch in combat. Even if they were untrained in life and continued to be in death, the might of a greater vampire is not to be understated. Their bows are typically survivable but often lead to broken bones, luckily as a rather arrogant lot they tend to pull their punches which is often their downfall, because it turns out they aren’t really any more durable than a human, just less killable.

    Despite what you’ll hear, fighting a greater vampire doesn’t really require much specialized gear. Being roughly human shaped most human weapons are well designed to do harm to them. The main thing to worry about is their mental domination, pre-fight meditation and practiced will training can help ward off even the strongest vampire, as their ability to influence humans directly is fairly limited except to those who want to be controlled. With these in mind it is important to know how to kill a greater vampire instead of merely stopping it. Common knowledge will tell you an oak steak to the heart will kill a vampire. This is false. In fact, any sufficiently large object to the heart will stop a vampire but not kill it. Instead putting it in a kind of suspended animation. This is still useful however, as removing the head is much easier this way. However both of these have not killed the vampire, and reviving it at this point is still a fairly easy task to any underling it might have. The best way to kill a vampire is total immolation, then scattering its ashes to the four winds. If more than fifty percent of the vampire can’t be recovered then not even the greatest necromancer could bring it back.

    And yes, while UV light and and garlic can have effect, a sufficiently powerful vampire isn’t really bothered by either. Sun light can be useful, and fighting a vampire outside in mid day light is probably the best place to do it, but if properly prepared you shouldn’t need to rely on this.

    Tracking a Greater Vampire can be tricky, as how can you really tell the difference between an arrogant goth-lite jerk, and a true vampire? Having a mirror is a useful quick test, as they have no reflection, but that can be tricky to check in a social situation without outing yourself as a vampire hunter. This leads to a vampire hunt to being a very long endeavour, involving multiple run ins with the law as you attempt to break into someone’s house to look for covered mirrors and corpse cages. Augury can be useful to narrow it down, but is fairly costly to the untrained, starting at around two hundred dollars and going up from there the more specific you want the area. As such, we tend to wait until enough rumours about someone being a vampire are brought up before even launching an investigation. All others just tend to be happy accidents, and whoops bagged us a greater vampire. Good job team!

  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Melding wrote: »
    hello it's dracula. please enjoy this shameless self promotion of why
    Melding wrote: »
    and because "Rorshach Kringle" was talking about draculas on twitter, i present you with this.

    Greater Vampire (or, The Dracula)

    When someone says ‘vampire’ these days the most common image conjured is that of a swave man or woman with a refined look about them, that hides dark power and a lust for the blood. That is the Greater Vampire to a T. Unlike most reanimated corpses the Greater Vampire is actually intelligent, or at least comparatively, and possess intact memories of being alive. Many believe that the new creature is the previous person given new life, but they’re wrong. Very wrong. This new being is as much your old friend as your new kitten is your last cat that died. Sure, they might act the same, but there is a new evil core of undying hunger in there. And this is also true about the vampire. Many vampires will attempt to act like the former body, as from their memories the world is given context but over time this is typically shed to unleash a far more savvy predator.

    Greater Vampires have a number of supernatural abilities at their command, from mental domination of lesser beings, assuming the form of mist, regeneration, to super human strength. Many claim that can turn into a swarm of bats or a pack of wolves but this is not true, and is often just clever timing on their part, as most greater vampires are former magicians or necromancers the importance of timing and illusions is not lost on them. Draculas tend to avoid physical conflict when able, relying on mental domination to force animals and weak willed people to fight for them in addition to any thralls they might have on hand, but this doesn’t mean they are a slouch in combat. Even if they were untrained in life and continued to be in death, the might of a greater vampire is not to be understated. Their bows are typically survivable but often lead to broken bones, luckily as a rather arrogant lot they tend to pull their punches which is often their downfall, because it turns out they aren’t really any more durable than a human, just less killable.

    Despite what you’ll hear, fighting a greater vampire doesn’t really require much specialized gear. Being roughly human shaped most human weapons are well designed to do harm to them. The main thing to worry about is their mental domination, pre-fight meditation and practiced will training can help ward off even the strongest vampire, as their ability to influence humans directly is fairly limited except to those who want to be controlled. With these in mind it is important to know how to kill a greater vampire instead of merely stopping it. Common knowledge will tell you an oak steak to the heart will kill a vampire. This is false. In fact, any sufficiently large object to the heart will stop a vampire but not kill it. Instead putting it in a kind of suspended animation. This is still useful however, as removing the head is much easier this way. However both of these have not killed the vampire, and reviving it at this point is still a fairly easy task to any underling it might have. The best way to kill a vampire is total immolation, then scattering its ashes to the four winds. If more than fifty percent of the vampire can’t be recovered then not even the greatest necromancer could bring it back.

    And yes, while UV light and and garlic can have effect, a sufficiently powerful vampire isn’t really bothered by either. Sun light can be useful, and fighting a vampire outside in mid day light is probably the best place to do it, but if properly prepared you shouldn’t need to rely on this.

    Tracking a Greater Vampire can be tricky, as how can you really tell the difference between an arrogant goth-lite jerk, and a true vampire? Having a mirror is a useful quick test, as they have no reflection, but that can be tricky to check in a social situation without outing yourself as a vampire hunter. This leads to a vampire hunt to being a very long endeavour, involving multiple run ins with the law as you attempt to break into someone’s house to look for covered mirrors and corpse cages. Augury can be useful to narrow it down, but is fairly costly to the untrained, starting at around two hundred dollars and going up from there the more specific you want the area. As such, we tend to wait until enough rumours about someone being a vampire are brought up before even launching an investigation. All others just tend to be happy accidents, and whoops bagged us a greater vampire. Good job team!

    Vow's opinions are so strong they affect even the undead!

    (Never stop being you, Melding. Your posts are absolute treasures.)

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dracula
    I'm honestly surprised i am catching no flak for the kitten bit.

  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Melding wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised i am catching no flak for the kitten bit.

    I liked it--classic bait-and-switch punchline, well executed.

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Professor Moriarty
    Moriarty. Going to spoiler this since they keep remaking sherlock.
    The solution to "The final problem" is that Moriarty is Sherlock. He creates and solves his own problems.

    The only record of the fight between Moriarty and Sherlock in "The final problem" is from Watson's account, and of course, he never actually sees Moriarty, because, well, he doesn't exist as an independent entity, they never recovered the bodies, and the last thing Watson is going to do is reveal his best friend was actually a murderous villain-- there were some crimes not actually of Moriarty's design, after all. Moriarty even supposedly gives Sherlock time to pen a letter to Holmes, after they meet each other and apparently speak very highly of one another... despite all the attempts to kill him previously in the same story. There are no signs of a struggle because there was no struggle. Sherlock jumped. Two sets of foot prints? Yes. That's precisely correct. Someone came up to give him a message. Watson was either slow on the uptake or covering. All the evidence in the blue folder? When exactly did he have time to get that? He even had his estate set up for distribution before going to Europe.

    The tragedy of it is that Sherlock never suffered from any infirmity or mental disorder that would cause him to do such a thing. He knew full well. He refuses to take cases starting in 1890, and starts describing professor Moriarty in a fashion that is... well... shockingly close depiction of his own physical state at the time.

    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    I find your lack of Doom disturbing.

  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dracula
    It sucks that there's no, like, iconic single "grey" type alien. It's an iconic image and all, but as a singular villain there's nothing.

  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Dracula
    I like Coyote stories

    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dracula
    Me?

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dracula
    hark i am defeated.

  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Other (please specify)
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    anyway this animal argument is a classic example of the misuse of "villain" as a synonym for "antagonist"

    I'd argue it's more illustrative of people equating modern perspectives on animal thought with classical anthropomorphization, though they are not the same

    A wolf would be an antagonist in a story now

    Clasically, that motherfucker was a villain

    why would i not have the modern perspective i am in the modern era

    The title is asking for "of all time"

    Expand your horizons to further back than the last two centuries, poll

    Edit: Also while I'm at it, maybe a bit outside of the Anglocentric pop culture

    then it's man!

    every non-human entity would say it's man!

    Wait @I needed a gnome to post. did you read "Anglocentric" as "anthrocentric"

    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Dracula
    I may go so far as to say that every human entity would say it is man, or some variety of man

    -Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dracula
    no, it's Dracula.

    Like, we do some fucked up shit, but Dracula is a real piece of work.

    I would say Dracula, Mecha-Dracula, Grzibrad The Annihilator, and then man.

  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Dracula
    I would say that dracula is a variety of man

    PNk1Ml4.png
Sign In or Register to comment.