As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West Beer Swap and Bottleshare!

f33rNapalmf33rNapalm Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in PAX West
It's time once again for the PAX West six-pack swap and bottleshare!

Like last year, and just like PAX Yeast, I'm calling all beer lovers to bring a six pack of their favourite to swap, and a few brews to share.

Last year's event was a huge success, seeing close to 30 PAX folks crammed into a hotel room to crack open a ton of amazing beers, having a great time, and the miraculous avoidance of a noise complaint.

Unlike last year though, we need a venue. Previously I've opened up my hotel room to host, but since then my wife and I have had a baby, so my room is sadly unavailable. If anyone else is willing to host, we can drink to our hearts content, and take home some cool new beers to boot.

Click here to signup!

f33rNapalm on

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Hey, thanks for starting this thread up again, and CONGRATULATIONS on the newest addition to your family.

Sadly I wasn't able to make it to the swap this past East, and I'm really hoping to make it at West this time round.

• dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    This sounds like a lot of fun! Count me in!

bn4KEyz.png
  • Nexis NightmareNexis Nightmare Minneapolis MNRegistered User regular
    My friend and I made it to last years event and it was a bunch of fun! I would be more then happy to return and hopefully see some of the people I met last year and bring some of my mid west favorites.

• KemicalKemical Registered User regular
    I ran this year's Pax Yeast beer swap in Boston. Schedule permitting (I am working for a vendor at Prime) I'd love to join this group. I'm coming from Pennsylvania and should be able to bring some east coast goodness.

• afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    Haven't been to a pax since 2013, so I can't remember if this was going on then. Is this something on thursday night or a different night of the week typically?

Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • jscott8000jscott8000 Registered User new member
    I'll be coming in from Minnesota. I'll definitely bring some local brews.

• f33rNapalmf33rNapalm Registered User regular
    It could potentially be a Thursday night thing. I can't host this year - not with a baby sharing my room - so we'll have to leave scheduling up to whoever is willing to host.

I've typically tried to steer clear of the night that has Acquisitions Incorporated on though, that's a big ticket event that few people want to miss.

Hosting really isn't much work, we just need a room for a couple hours, and some solo cups - which I'm more than happy to provide. I just left all the empties for the hotel to deal with the following day - I'm sure they assumed I had a slight problem.

And it's good to see some familiar faces in here already!

• afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    f33rNapalm wrote: »
    Acquisitions Incorporated
    Why have I never heard of this?!?!

Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
    Are we still looking for a host?

• Travman93Travman93 Billings, MTRegistered User regular
    I can't provide a venue, but I'm interested in providing attendance.

Are we still looking for a host?

Yes, we still need a host. As soon as we've got that sorted out, I'll throw together a Google doc sign up sheet.

• CrielCriel Registered User regular
    Me and my brother will be signing up as long as it's not on Thursday as we are already signed up to go the TWDT2. Will keep an eye on this thread

• Sushi HeroSushi Hero Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Me and my group of northern California misfits would probably be interested in this, but we also wouldn't be able to do Thursday night because we're participating in the TWDT too. Hoping that someone will be able to host and this can happen!

We have a host! I'll leave it up to her to decide whether it'll be on Friday or Saturday night, the actual date may depend on the official schedule.

We'll also update the signup sheet with the location once it's been sorted out closer to the day of the event.

Speaking of which, we have a sign up sheet! Click Here!

• CrielCriel Registered User regular
    Regarding the sign up, since we are not around the area, could anyone provide us a dank liquor store to get some of this beer 8-)

Generally everyone brings their favourite local beer from home, but if that's not an option or you're looking to do some shopping, I highly recommend Chuck's Hop Shop. It's roughly a 5-10 minute cab/Uber ride from the WSCC.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm tempted to bring a few things (may even donate a Heady Topper if I can't make it so people can taste). What's the best way to transport cans via luggage? Wrap it the hell up in a towel?

I'm tempted to bring a few things (may even donate a Heady Topper if I can't make it so people can taste). What's the best way to transport cans via luggage? Wrap it the hell up in a towel?

I would recommend putting it in a ziplock type bag, then either wrap it in bubble wrap (secured with rubber bands) or a towel.

• DarkAonDarkAon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder for those who may not have thought about it: You CANNOT bring bottles/cans in carry-on luggage unless it was purchased past the security check-point. If you are bringing something from outside, it MUST be in checked baggage.

I hear slipping bottles/cans into shoes works out pretty well for protecting them, but the ziplock->bubble wrap->clothes wrap seems to be the preferred method by most. Also, make sure the bag is full and things are not shifting around and do not put bottles right next to each other and only in the middle of the luggage.

Here is a useful thread on beeradvocate about flying with beer: https://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/checking-beer-on-a-plane-flight-baggage.49920/#post-644755

gdGxyA3
    edited August 2016
    DarkAon wrote: »
    Just a reminder for those who may not have thought about it: You CANNOT bring bottles/cans in carry-on luggage unless it was purchased past the security check-point. If you are bringing something from outside, it MUST be in checked baggage.

Yes, checked baggage only...or they will toss your stash at the security checkpoint. So if you plan on packing lite this may be another reason to buy local when you arrive.

ClannMorgan on
  • gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Could a column be added to the spreadsheet to say what locale the beer is from?

• BullBull Registered User regular
    I'm in, it was really fun last year :)rqspfq40hmmd.jpeg

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Bull wrote: »
    I'm in, it was really fun last year :)
    rqspfq40hmmd.jpeg

The famous "Pliny The Elder"!
    Yeah, I listen to Sawbones.

YoungFrey on
  • Bluz1959Bluz1959 Registered User new member
    I'm in. The Four Winds samples last year were amazing.

edited August 2016
    Borrowing heavily from Kemical…here are the dets:

Welcome to the annual Pax Yeast beer swap! If you like craft beer and meeting fellow beer geeks this is the event for you. It will be taking place on Friday, September 2nd at 8pm.

Don’t forget to head over to the PAX Yeast 2016 - Sign-up Sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c70M0EnuEdJwkRPWtiwG0Iw63JNx6SkSzkfGQOPZDxA/edit?usp=sharing
    and sign up to bring a six pack or two of your favorite local craft beer. Optionally, you’re welcome to bring a 750ml bomber or two for trading or tasting. We’ll put all the beers in a pile, and you’ll get take home the same number of beers you brought. Just like previous years we’ll be opening up some bottles/bombers/home brew brought for tasting.

After signing up please take a minute and join our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1614266862135683/
    This is a private group and will be used to post the room location and other important information.

I’ve taken over hosting duties this year in my hotel room at the Grand Hyatt, this event is capped at 15 sign-ups as things can get a bit...cozy with that many people in one room. Significant others are welcome to join, but please let me know ahead of time so I can get an accurate head count. Once I check in I will update the FB group with the room number, and if anyone needs or wants to drop off their beer early just let me know.

I want to give a special thanks to @f33rNapalm and his lovely wife for kicking things off this year, and @Kemical for keeping hope alive! I’ve met some awesome beer geeks through this event and they deserve kudos for such an awesome idea.

ClannMorgan on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hey gang! A little event cross-promotion here: We need three more people to sign up this week for the SchlitzKrieg Mega All Day Beer Filled Brewery Tour Bonanza happening on the Wednesday before PAX. If anybody here doesn't already know about it, you should def check it out and consider signing on to join us!

@ClannMorgan knows.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/205950/7-seats-left-schlitzkrieg-2016-in-seattle-beer-drinks-you/p1

EDIT: also, if anybody needs to pick up bottles in Seattle, I'd recommend taking the 28 bus from downtown to this place: http://chucks85th.com/. They have about 1000 different bottles and 40 taps.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    @LexiconGrrl I'll post this cross-promo in the facebook group as well.

• TheHermitTheHermit Registered User regular
    Very interested in this!

Is it going to be a problem if almost all the my local breweries do 4pk/16oz cans instead of 6pk/12oz?

TheHermit wrote: »
    Very interested in this!

Is it going to be a problem if almost all the my local breweries do 4pk/16oz cans instead of 6pk/12oz?

No problem at all! If you come with 4, you leave with 4.

Less than a week to go! Looking forward to drinking some beers with you fine folks!

Checked in! So I updated the facebook page with the room number, as well as the spreadsheet with all of the beers that survived the trip...See you all Friday...and if you're on the fence feel free to join us, there's still room on the sign-up.

• CyordonCyordon Registered User new member
    Oooh, this sounds pretty rad, if I come I'll be sure to bring some homebrewed beer I made! Anyone bringing solo cups or something?

Solo cups will be provided.

• RyanJWRyanJW Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hi everyone. Looking forward to joining if there is still space! I'm from the Philadelphia area but live in Seattle now (for the past few years).

If any of you are into fresh hop IPAs, Fremont Brewing is releasing their new fresh hop beer tomorrow at 5pm in their Urban Brew Garden (http://www.fremontbrewing.com/field-to-ferment/) - if there's any interest in meeting up - I'll probably be there around 5pm! (1050 N 34th St.) - if you're looking for a good dinner afterward with a great beer menu, Brouwers is fantastic. (http://www.brouwerscafe.com/)

@Criel - you asked about a good beer store - some of my favorite bottle shops in town are Chuck's Hop Shop (there is one in central district that isn't too far from the convention center, there is also one in Greenwood, a neighborhood a bit further out). Some other good ones are Bottleworks (in Wallingford) and The Last Drop Bottle Shop (Maple Leaf) all are fairly north of the city but definitely worth hitting at least one if you want to get some good local stuff. Other local places that might be a bit more convenient: Whole Foods in South Lake Union has a great selection for a grocery store. If you're at Pike Place Market, stop by Pear Delicatessen too - for being in a high tourist traffic zone, they have an incredible amount of quality local beer. And while you're at it, stop by Cloudburst Brewing, a fairly new brewery super close to the market.

Anyway - looking forward to meeting you all Saturday (or maybe tomorrow at Fremont!)

Currently Playing:
    PS4: Yakuza Kiwami
  • GeronimoJacksonGeronimoJackson Registered User regular
    So glad to see this is still going. I hosted the first on our condo rooftop several years ago, but sadly have not been able to get back to PAX since.

Cheers Everybody!