As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terrorism General: A Developing Thread 1Sep Typologies: Revolutionary Anarchist

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Minnesota Mall stabbing, 8 injured, only assailant dead:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/18/us/minnesota-mall-stabbing/index.html

My guess is yesterdays multiple events completely altered this elections narrative from now till November.

No. They aren't going to make the election more about terrorism than the San Bernardino and Pulse nightclub shootings already have.

Those attacks did make the election about terrorism, until enough time had passed where the election was made about something else (Tumps no muslims allowed in the US).

The closer an attack happens to Election night, the less likely some other event will start dominating headlines and more likely that the focus will be on the attacks.

And while the timing may seem coordinated, I am not convinced it is planned out, it may be coincidental and may simply be a larger scale form of vandalism / reckless experimentation with explosives (home made or whatever).

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Minnesota Mall stabbing, 8 injured, only assailant dead:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/18/us/minnesota-mall-stabbing/index.html

My guess is yesterdays multiple events completely altered this elections narrative from now till November.

Well fuck, I've worked that role, and now fit another profile for the ignorant to target.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Governor Cuomo describes the blast as 'obviously' an act of terrorism despite the suspect and motive being unknown.

Uh, guys? Terrorism is defined by the motive, not the act. Specifically: using violence to push a socio-political ideology. If the motive is "unknown", then by definition it cannot yet be terrorism - simply instilling terror doesn't cut it.

So maybe don't be so grossly irresponsible to call it 'definitely terrorism' in the midst of a currently very highly charged country when you say in the very next sentence you have no idea who did it or why.

Yours sincerely,

A. Pedant x

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Looks like they have the guys connected to NJ and Chelsea. Also, some mishaps disarming devices at train station in Elizabeth, NJ:

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    both my parents are from Elizabeth, it's really weird to see it mentioned on national news

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So, the manhunt is for a young man who immigrated from Afghanistan.

So, yes, guys, it's terrorism. The question is whether it's a lone wolf act by a single person, or something organized.

Edit: And the NYC bombs are all built to spec for the "how to build a bomb" shit that Al Qaeda puts out.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Even if it is a group, it can still be "lone wolf". The designation of "lone wolf" doesn't necessitate only a single actor, rather an element which is not directly supported by an over arching organization.

So two possibilities on our tentative ACH (analysis of competing hypotheses) table:

1. "Lone Wolf"

a. No logistical support from overarching organization (IS, AQ etc.)

b. No planning support from overarching organization

c. Self radicalized actors

2. Not "Lone Wolf"

a. Logistical support from overarching organization

b. Planning support from overarching organization

c. Actors have traveled to train with groups, radicalized while traveling

Feel free to insert other criteria.

• Options
    Thanks for the terminology clarification.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    both my parents are from Elizabeth, it's really weird to see it mentioned on national news

Me and a family member both work public safety there and I'm sure I can look forward to people to losing their minds for the next month over this.

I do have to laugh that a couple dudes took one of the packages from its planted location because they thought it was something worth stealing. Never change, Elizabeth.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Thanks for the terminology clarification.

No prob. I think it's important to clarify because the implication for most people of "lone wolf" is that it isn't organized. And it very well can be. The level of support is also not binary, but a range. IS has been "great" about encouraging and providing ideological support for "lone wolf" actors.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Me and a family member both work public safety there and I'm sure I can look forward to people to losing their minds for the next month over this.

I do have to laugh that a couple dudes took one of the packages from its planted location because they thought it was something worth stealing. Never change, Elizabeth.

I live here, and yes, that was the most Elizabeth part of the story possible.

Especially when they got exhausted after 1000 feet and then just left it where it was.

Perfectu

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Fine I will say it. I thank whatever/whoever may be listening that this individuals clearly terrorist activity did not harm more individuals. I also hope that this is a true lone wolf and not a pack.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

So, yes, guys, it's terrorism. The question is whether it's a lone wolf act by a single person, or something organized.

Edit: And the NYC bombs are all built to spec for the "how to build a bomb" shit that Al Qaeda puts out.

1) The conversation you're referring to took place before the suspect was identified
    2) It's STILL not confirmed as terrorism, although that is of course the most likely explanation. The difference between mass murder and terrorism is not, and never will be, that the suspect is an Arab.

This is literally prejudice in action. I don't care if tomorrow it's revealed it was Osama Bin Laden's twin brother that built the bombs. Right now, with the information we have, we don't know for sure.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    CNN is reporting that the suspect in the NY/NJ bombings is in custody after a shootout with police in NJ.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Spaffy wrote: »

1) The conversation you're referring to took place before the suspect was identified
    2) It's STILL not confirmed as terrorism, although that is of course the most likely explanation. The difference between mass murder and terrorism is not, and never will be, that the suspect is an Arab.

This is literally prejudice in action. I don't care if tomorrow it's revealed it was Osama Bin Laden's twin brother that built the bombs. Right now, with the information we have, we don't know for sure.

point of clarity...he is Afghani, not Arab.

but your point stands.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options

Alright. You might be able to convince me on this. It's possible I'm being prejudiced here. Not recognizing your own bias is a dangerous thing. So explore this line of thought for me.

Because your argument is sufficient to make me doubt my motivation, but at the same time it seems like an insanely safe (safe in terms of probably correct) bet to make that the guy from Afghanistan who reads the Al Qaeda magazine and planted bombs in a couple places is a terrorist. This seems to be the thing I'm getting stuck on; is it really necessary to hold off from that point?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    CNN is reporting that the suspect in the NY/NJ bombings is in custody after a shootout with police in NJ.

wow local news is already tweeting pictures

Two officers injured as well.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    It is ok Wolfe. We are allowed to apply context to a situation and label it. Edit: I was calling it as such even before the suspect was released simply because of the locations and the current climate. Hillary even alluded to terrorism in this situation in this morning's statement.

He was taken alive. Good. We will hopefully get it all clarified.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

my old man has informed me that he went to high school with the dude on whose property the suspect got caught

this is extremely weird to me!

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular

Alright. You might be able to convince me on this. It's possible I'm being prejudiced here. Not recognizing your own bias is a dangerous thing. So explore this line of thought for me.

Because your argument is sufficient to make me doubt my motivation, but at the same time it seems like an insanely safe (safe in terms of probably correct) bet to make that the guy from Afghanistan who reads the Al Qaeda magazine and planted bombs in a couple places is a terrorist. This seems to be the thing I'm getting stuck on; is it really necessary to hold off from that point?
    Is it confirmed that the guy was reading AQ propaganda, or just assumed from the design of the bomb?

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    most inept terrorist in recent history?
    (thankful no one got seriously hurt) but
    the seaside bomb didn't completly go off
    the 2nd chelsea bomb was in advertantly disarmed by 2 thiefs
    the Elizabeth bombs were found by 2 homeless dudes who found a backpack in a garbage can, hopi9ng for fat purple (orange?) gear
    fell aslee in his car and got caught < 10 minute drive from home

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »
    the Elizabeth bombs were found by 2 homeless dudes who found a backpack in a garbage can, hopi9ng for fat purple (orange?) gear

To steal a line from twitter:

If you See Something, Steal Something

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I wouldn't say that the guys in Chelsea were thieves exactly. Leaving crap that is usable, but that you don't want, on the sidewalk is pretty much SOP in Manhattan. That's what I did when I was moving out, and lots of stuff wouldn't last more than 30 minutes. A suitcase sitting on a curb with obviously nobody around is pretty much legal salvage as far as New York street rules go.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    ISIS is claiming responsibility for the Minnesota stabbing attacks, but that looks to likely be bullshit.
    "We haven't uncovered anything that would suggest this was anything but a lone attacker at this point," Anderson told reporters.

The FBI is calling the attack "a potential act of terrorism." But no evidence has been found tying the suspect directly to terror groups, the police chief said.

The NY/NJ bomber used a bunch of different types of bombs, from construction to detonators to actual explosive material. Pipe bombs, pressure cookers, black powder, TATP, HMTD, etc. They've traced the phone detonators used on two of the bombs back to the same store in New Jersey. Rachel Maddow did a couple of great segments on this last night.

Rukmini Callimachi, the expert she had on, also said that this guy made the rookie mistake of leaving fingerprints all over these bombs, which is something that the Al Queda/ISIS bomb making documents specifically coach you against doing.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    ISIS is claiming responsibility for the Minnesota stabbing attacks, but that looks to likely be bullshit.
    "We haven't uncovered anything that would suggest this was anything but a lone attacker at this point," Anderson told reporters.

The FBI is calling the attack "a potential act of terrorism." But no evidence has been found tying the suspect directly to terror groups, the police chief said.
    It's gonna be the thing where he was watching a bunch of fucked up IS beheading videos online and things like that, but probably wasn't taking personalized orders from people in Iraq and Syria.

Frankly I think IS is pretty pathetic to even claim responsibility for this. The Caliphate's power is such that it might one day convince some guy to non-fatally stab some people at a mall; how terrifying.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Thank god these two were basically "terrorists as written by Raising Arizona-Era Coen Brothers", else a lot more people would've been hurt or killed.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The NY/NJ bomber used a bunch of different types of bombs, from construction to detonators to actual explosive material. Pipe bombs, pressure cookers, black powder, TATP, HMTD, etc. They've traced the phone detonators used on two of the bombs back to the same store in New Jersey. Rachel Maddow did a couple of great segments on this last night.

Rukmini Callimachi, the expert she had on, also said that this guy made the rookie mistake of leaving fingerprints all over these bombs, which is something that the Al Queda/ISIS bomb making documents specifically coach you against doing.

Could there be pyromania but for bombs

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    We had a worthless fuck planning to martyr himself in the middle of Stockholm christmas shopping crowds but he screwed up the bombs and only disemboweled himself. This Chelsea fucker makes for a better story though:

Panda4You on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Sounds like they are sought for taking a suitcase, not planting one.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular

The concern is that there's a chance they were supposed to be assisting in planting the device, which is why the FBI wants to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. One scenario is a few guys finding a free suitcase, the other is a still-active terror cell in the tri-state area.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    If nothing else they should be guilty of finding a bomb and leaving it there without, you know, calling the police.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That sounds like they found a free suitcase and it had some weird junk in it which they dumped.

...depending on how much these bombs looked like bombs. If it had red wires and an LCD clock counting down, I'd question their choice to dump it ans saunter off without telling anyone.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

The concern is that there's a chance they were supposed to be assisting in planting the device, which is why the FBI wants to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. One scenario is a few guys finding a free suitcase, the other is a still-active terror cell in the tri-state area.

My understanding is that the NYPD are stressing that they are "Witnesses," not "Suspects" and wanting the suitcase is because there is no such thing as too much corroborating evidence.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Terror attack against mosque and housing complex in Garden City, KS foiled. 3 milita members arrested. Press conference upcoming in 11 minutes.

e: First article I've seen come online about it.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    American law enforcement seem to be mostly on the ball with stopping these things

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    American law enforcement seem to be mostly on the ball with stopping these things

Yeah, no shit. They were observing these guys for more than half a year already

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I expect this specific type of activity to increase (rural or semi-rural population taking or planning terrorist action against immigrant populations). You have a meeting of multiple factors here: a rural population who feels they've been shit on (compared to urban populations less opportunities, higher suicide rate, comparable levels of poverty to minority urban populations etc.), especially economically (hurt by economic downturns but didn't receive relief that urban cities did), combined with prejudice and the possible perspective that immigrant populations are taking jobs that locals could fill (considering the statement that the local plant attracts immigrant populations looking for jobs).

So while this is nothing new qualitatively, I think there may be a quantitative increase going forward.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Btw, every single Muslim who disapproves of my actions is a sleeper cell, waiting for a signal.

Burn in hell, motherfucker.

This discussion has been closed.