As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Legion: Kingdoms are being burnt

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    3clipse wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    What's to stop you guys from making those threads here? Mods don't like them?

The mods would probably be unhappy if we had 13 individual WoW threads.

I wonder if we could do this main thread + the general theorycrafting thread that included all class discussions/professions/etc, though? Then it's only two threads, and there's a dedicated place for technical discussion so it doesn't clutter up this thread. How do we ask the mods for permission to deploy a second thread?

Bobkins posts in here pretty often. Throw up the @ signal for him.

Madican on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo So having a WoW thread and then 12 WoW class threads is an obvious non starter, but would the mods be adverse to us having this WoW thread + a WoW Technical thread for theorycrafting/in depth discussion of specific classes/professions/etc so that we're not cluttering up this thread with a bunch of numbers and sims and whatever that people then have to sift through?

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    We used to have a general thread + class threads as well as funny names/images threads for WoW. Those died after Cata.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I actually think it would be less of an issue, now that MMOs are a separate subforum. IIRC, back when the class threads were running, they were in the main gaming section.

I wonder if there's a way we could find a middle ground. Say, three threads: DPS, Tank, Heal?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Maybe keep the profession stuff in here? That mostly applies to everyone.
    Speaking of, anyone make one of those clothes chests in the beta?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I actually think it would be less of an issue, now that MMOs are a separate subforum. IIRC, back when the class threads were running, they were in the main gaming section.

I wonder if there's a way we could find a middle ground. Say, three threads: DPS, Tank, Heal?

I like this the most. If the threads die again for want of sufficient activity then we clearly miscalculated, but it is worth the try.

• WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    Can someone here confirm if Blizzard really is removing the action camera? Is this decision set in stone or are they only discussing it? After playing around with it and trying out the Dynamic Cam addon, I would be extremely displeased to lose this functionality. It really has changed the whole feel of the game for me, and I was really looking forward to using it while leveling up in Legion.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Can someone here confirm if Blizzard really is removing the action camera? Is this decision set in stone or are they only discussing it? After playing around with it and trying out the Dynamic Cam addon, I would be extremely displeased to lose this functionality. It really has changed the whole feel of the game for me, and I was really looking forward to using it while leveling up in Legion.

They're removing it, because for a lot of people it's activating on its own and causing motion sickness. Until they can make it not spontaneously turn itself on when people don't want it on, they're turning it off.

To be clear, it wasn't supposed to be on now at all, it's a bug that it works at all on live. Dynamic Cam is taking advantage of that fact.

They're removing it, because for a lot of people it's activating on its own and causing motion sickness. Until they can make it not spontaneously turn itself on when people don't want it on, they're turning it off.

To be clear, it wasn't supposed to be on now at all, it's a bug that it works at all on live. Dynamic Cam is taking advantage of that fact.

This is where I feel the "eyeroll emoji" would be appropriate... Really? Motion sickness? Okay make it an option where you can turn it off then, don't just remove the whole thing.

This is where I feel the "eyeroll emoji" would be appropriate... Really? Motion sickness? Okay make it an option where you can turn it off then, don't just remove the whole thing.

Yes, motion sickness. Something that a lot of people get, and I imagine it's hella unpleasant if you're just playing a game and then suddenly random camera shit happens and you're on the express train to vomtown. Have some empathy. Don't be a goose.

And it was off. That's the whole issue. The setting has apparently become self aware and randomly activates itself when it shouldn't even be on.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

The problem is that for some people it turns itself on by itself, and won't turn off again.

Also, they immediately said that they'll bring it back once the problems are solved, so no need to get outraged.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I actually made one of if not the last shaman thread. I think it was the only thread i ever started.

It was different then because there was way more choices to be made. 71 talent points, more enchants, gems on everything, glyphs. Then as cata Approached we had that to talk about which added a ton more.

I think instead of making a new guild, we can just organize things here. Don't need to be in the same server to do dungeon content. I might try doing that myself, we would just need to either try to work around raid schedules or just do the best we can with who is available.

reVerse wrote: »

The problem is that for some people it turns itself on by itself, and won't turn off again.

Also, they immediately said that they'll bring it back once the problems are solved, so no need to get outraged.

Outraged? I fail to see where I expressed that emotion. Anyways it's too bad, I thought it was a great function. Hope they bring it back soon.

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    The single-server, single-faction limitation on guilds (and custom chat channels, for that matter) is regrettable at this point in the game. Single-server might be tolerable (it doesn't take that long to level), but there are too many personal preferences at play for single-faction to be viable. I hope to see Blizzard modernize their guild system at some point, but a cross-server design is difficult to retrofit.

borb_sig.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    A bnet wide guild system would be nice. Because sometimes my friends are playing other blizzard games. Being able to organize things directly through the desktop app or something would be nice. Or at least have Bnet wide chat channels.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    GW2 is the MMO I mostly play and it has certainly spoiled me and made me frustrated on how WoW guilds work. A little more flexibility in the system would be nice.
    I'd also like a higher BNET friend cap, while I'm wishing for things =).

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I'm on cho'gall horde with se++, as well as a couple of my RL friends and their wives. Don't think any of us can raid the tue/thur schedule but I think we will try to throw together a weekend warrior group.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mugsley wrote: »

WoW was almost never in G&T proper. It had its own dedicated subforum with class thread that transferred over to the MMO subforum. As more MMOs took off, WoW class threads with like, three pages were clogging up the joint. I think we tried role-based threads and it didn't fare much better.

If you want to bring back role threads then knock yourself out I guess

YL9WnCY.png
    Saeris wrote: »
    The single-server, single-faction limitation on guilds (and custom chat channels, for that matter) is regrettable at this point in the game. Single-server might be tolerable (it doesn't take that long to level), but there are too many personal preferences at play for single-faction to be viable. I hope to see Blizzard modernize their guild system at some point, but a cross-server design is difficult to retrofit.

Split faction is still silly but guilds can recruit from multiple servers now. My guild has people from 3 (I think?) different servers in it.

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    I didn't know that. That's interesting, and good to hear.

Faction is still the greater divide, unfortunately.

borb_sig.png

Split faction is still silly but guilds can recruit from multiple servers now. My guild has people from 3 (I think?) different servers in it.

Really? How does that work? Does that mean there is basically no physical interaction between guild members from different servers until they join a dungeon or raid?

Really? How does that work? Does that mean there is basically no physical interaction between guild members from different servers until they join a dungeon or raid?

Well with the cross realm stuff it's all wonky who you see where anyway until they get that ironed out, but you're all in the same gchat. I think guilds can recruit from any server in the battlegroup your server is part of.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2016
    Some servers are connected into clusters. It's like 2 servers for PvE realms and sometimes 3-4 for PvP, but it's based on population numbers.

These clusters are effectively one big server for the purposes of guilds and everything.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Unless they changed it, I think guilds can only have people from multiple servers if those servers have been permanently connected.

ie. Echo Isles and Draenor are permanently connected. They share an Auction House, and for all intents and purposes they are the same server. It's just some people have "-Echo Isles" or "-Draenor" after their name.

So a guild on Echo Isles could invite people from Draenor to their guild, but not people from Illidan or any other server.

If two people with the same name join the same guild, then when they speak in Guild Chat it will always append their server name to their name. Additionally, the guild news will always display the server name for any entries about people who aren't from the same server as your current character.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Some servers are connected into clusters. It's like 2 servers for PvE realms and sometimes 3-4 for PvP, but it's based on population numbers.

These clusters are effectively one big server for the purposes of guilds and everything.

Yeah, my main server is on the Crushridge/Chromaggus/Garithos/Anub'arak/Nathrezim/Smolderthorn connected realm. It's all one server for all intents and purposes. There are still some interface hiccups with parts of the interface that don't normally have to contend with cross realm players; inviting people to parties using the guild roster commonly shits all over itself when you try to use it to invite someone from a different 'parent' server than yourself. Also, there's some silliness that can ensue because things like names are still per-server, so you can create "LD50-Crushridge" even if "LD50-Garithos" already exists.

I think the only thing stopping them from pushing cross realm guilds is their resistance to allowing all content to be cross realm day 1. They don't want to push cross realm guilds as a feature when they're not planning on turning on mythic cross realm raiding the same day mythic opens (the reason for which I do not understand).

edited August 2016
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo I'm thinking that a single thread for discussion regarding theorycrafting, class questions, possibly even boss questions would suffice. As you said in the past we tried to consolidate to three threads for the roles but those didn't go anywhere.

Best to start with one and if it gets to 100 pages in a couple of weeks then we'd know there's a demand :P.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjGw9ZL3QQ

English version of the newest trailer.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    gfd

*begins to resub*

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Lars wrote: »
    Unless they changed it, I think guilds can only have people from multiple servers if those servers have been permanently connected.

ie. Echo Isles and Draenor are permanently connected. They share an Auction House, and for all intents and purposes they are the same server. It's just some people have "-Echo Isles" or "-Draenor" after their name.

So a guild on Echo Isles could invite people from Draenor to their guild, but not people from Illidan or any other server.

If two people with the same name join the same guild, then when they speak in Guild Chat it will always append their server name to their name. Additionally, the guild news will always display the server name for any entries about people who aren't from the same server as your current character.

Wow that's pretty cool, a quick google search gave me a list of connected realms. Interesting how varied the amount of connected realms are; some clusters only have 2 servers, while others have 5. I'm guessing that's due to overall population size.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The Legion have Star Destroyers? Game over, everything's fucked.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    We cannot repell firepower of that magnitude

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    The Legion have Star Destroyers? Game over, everything's fucked.

Hehe ya it is one reason why I think we see the exodar fly again at some point in this expansion because unless you can somehow match demonic star destroyers it's game over.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean we have magic nukes

liEt3nH.png
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjGw9ZL3QQ

English version of the newest trailer.

Blizzard certainly knows how to hype. Bring on the 9th and some new content at long last.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Nooo, not violet hold again......

I still have the portal locations/type of mobs that come out memorized.

Annnd we have giant spiders that come from the ceiling, I hate those. I don't mind giant spiders, just not the ones that come from above or below me.

Oh I only had the Shaman one. Thanks for those links.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Nooo, not violet hold again......

I still have the portal locations/type of mobs that come out memorized.

Annnd we have giant spiders that come from the ceiling, I hate those. I don't mind giant spiders, just not the ones that come from above or below me.

Also it is so much worse than just giant spiders: http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2015/december/NightborneMutant2.jpg

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Kruite wrote: »
    We cannot dispel green-firepower of that magnitude

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.