As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    But looking at the 538 nowcast (I know, I know) gave me a brief, tender vision of Georgia going blue for the first time in a generation

is this what it feels like to be a naive optimist

There's nothing wrong with the now-cast. It's just painting a picture of where the race currently stands (Clinton highly likely to win). The others also have to incorporate a model of "how is the situation likely to change over the next 3 months". The volatility in the now-cast just matches the fact that we're in a volatile part of the cycle.

(Also I think vanilla gets a bad rap. It's not "plain", it's a flavour! You can buy vanilla extract! And get off my lawn!)

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    If [City] split off and was its own thing I think [Rest of the State] would be solid red.

Broadly applicable version.

Not the weirdo Berkshires

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Like I just can't get over this fucking tonawanda thing, like I knew folks in the region were fucking country loving redneck assholes, but I didn't think it had actually progressed that far. Just so much WTF is in my brain right now.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    CNN's talking about how Trump's campaign has descended into disarray

I know Trump's been meticulously lowering our standards for over a year now, but only now descending into disarray?

I saw one blog have a funny term for what is happening. It was that the media is finally starting to give donald the "full palin".

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Democrats are bringing props back, apparently.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

This is where Trump being a businessman can fuck him. Though I doubt it will with his fans.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

I know Trump's been meticulously lowering our standards for over a year now, but only now descending into disarray?

I saw one blog have a funny term for what is happening. It was that the media is finally starting to give donald the "full palin".

Trump's actually coming across as far crazier than Palin ever did, which is horrifying when she was only running for vice-president.

This week has just been mind shattering. I'm genuinely hoping that we never, ever see a candidate like Trump again.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Like I just can't get over this fucking tonawanda thing, like I knew folks in the region were fucking country loving redneck assholes, but I didn't think it had actually progressed that far. Just so much WTF is in my brain right now.
    This election has already emboldened the worst among our number, allowing and normalizing the behavior and speech of racists, sexists, and bigots, and it is the duty of the rest of this country to reject this kind of hate as loudly, publicly, and definitively as possible. It's too late to go back to the way things were: the GOP nurtured them for decades, Trump gave them a voice, and they've been convinced that they are morally righteous, so any loss will be perceived as a failure of the system. There will be violence. There will be domestic terrorism. I hope that it will go no further than a string of Malheurs, but I don't have it in me to try to predict the damage that can be caused by those who feel they have nothing left to lose.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

There must be a ton of disunity in the campaign.

Or a lot more people have quit, so the people remaining are more unified.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This is where Trump being a businessman can fuck him. Though I doubt it will with his fans.

they already don't care that he's terrible at business. why should they care about his actual business practices.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Donald Trump makes Palin look like a Rhodes Scholar

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

This is scary low conviction and energy. This is basically a line from her speech at the DNC, but at 10% the energy level.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Trump's actually coming across as far crazier than Palin ever did, which is horrifying when she was only running for vice-president.

This week has just been mind shattering. I'm genuinely hoping that we never, ever see a candidate like Trump again.

give it 7 years

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

give it 7 years

That long?

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    This election has already emboldened the worst among our number, allowing and normalizing the behavior and speech of racists, sexists, and bigots, and it is the duty of the rest of this country to reject this kind of hate as loudly, publicly, and definitively as possible. It's too late to go back to the way things were: the GOP nurtured them for decades, Trump gave them a voice, and they've been convinced that they are morally righteous, so any loss will be perceived as a failure of the system. There will be violence. There will be domestic terrorism. I hope that it will go no further than a string of Malheurs, but I don't have it in me to try to predict the damage that can be caused by those who feel they have nothing left to lose.

Yup

This is what happens when racist demagogues get up on stage and fan the flames of hatred. Racist shitheels in Everytown, USA see it as validation and acceptance of their racist shitheel opinions and are empowered to act on it.

And we as a country have an obligation to stand up and slap the shit out of them* and say, "NO THAT IS NOT FUCKING OKAY"

*you know, electorally

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

I think it was mostly referencing the point when amusing gibberish becomes the sudden realization this dude could have control of the most powerful military in the world and the journalists finally starting to do their jobs.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

This is scary low conviction and energy. This is basically a line from her speech at the DNC, but at 10% the energy level.

Are you doing a thing here? It's not a rally.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

I remain unconvinced there is literally anything Trump can do that his fans wouldn't cheer to

he could start calling for loading the muslims into box cars and building work camps and they'd cheer louder and louder

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Low Energy! Sad!

• Options

I remain unconvinced there is literally anything Trump can do that his fans wouldn't cheer to

he could start calling for loading the muslims into box cars and building work camps and they'd cheer louder and louder

He might be able to start calling for them to be loaded into boxcars right now at the end of the rally and they might cheer

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

there is zero doubt that would happen

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

He might be able to start calling for them to be loaded into boxcars right now at the end of the rally and they might cheer

cheer? the crowd would volunteer to round them up and drive the fucking trains.

• Options
    How many of his fans already want to nuke Mecca?

We could have just prevented 9/11 with better cockpit doors.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Donald Trump makes Palin look like a Rhodes Scholar

Nicole Wallace was one of Palin's handlers in 2008, and is thought to be one of the sources for many of the worst stories about her. Last week she said this about Trump:
    Sarah Palin went to bed with an open highlighter smeared on her face most nights because she was trying to learn. She was up all night studying and she understood that she was on the ticket with a man who was respected around the world… I don’t know if this is a gender thing, but he’s not even trying to learn.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Oh sure if it was Muslims.

I'm saying he could say his crowd should be put in boxcars

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

The entire western world is facing the same insanity. Look at Europe. Marine le Pen. Extreme right-wing demagogues are gaining traction in the ever-leftist Nordic countries. The US election is going to be much bigger than the USA itself; if Trump wins, everything turns to shit. Suddenly we'll be looking to China as the distant land of social and financial sanity.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Low Energy! Sad!

That's really not where I was going with that. I meant, when she delivered that line at the DNC she was full of life and energy, and it resonated. It was inspirational. Here she's much more unsure and hesitant. She's monotone and saying a "huh" every sentence and keeps looking down at her notes. This is not a speech that is going to win any hearts, or that anyone will link to and say 'look how great Hillary is'.

I hope she was just having an off-day and will be back to her DNC self soon.

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    How many of his fans already want to nuke Mecca?

We could have just prevented 9/11 with better cockpit doors.

9/11 is an attack that literally can only be done once, no group of passengers will ever allow a plane to be hijacked again, hindsight is extra useless in the case of 9/11

• Options
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

The entire western world is facing the same insanity. Look at Europe. Marine le Pen. Extreme right-wing demagogues are gaining traction in the ever-leftist Nordic countries. The US election is going to be much bigger than the USA itself; if Trump wins, everything turns to shit. Suddenly we'll be looking to China as the distant land of social and financial sanity.

Man am I glad tonight is D&D night. I need some escapism up in this bitch.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Go ahead Cornelius you can cry now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The Megyn Kelly blood comments happen on August 7, 2015, or about a year ago. He still won't shut up about it.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Oh sure if it was Muslims.

I'm saying he could say his crowd should be put in boxcars

lol ok, missed that. although, even then i think a few would probably still volunteer.

• Options

What... what does that even mean? He wants to sue Kelly over a comment he made about her? How does that even make sense?

Or is there another meaning of the word "litigate" I am not aware of?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    At this point I imagine half of Trumps campaign staff are his company staff working illegal for his campaign too

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if half his campaign staff were illegal aliens he picked up at Home Depot.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Low Energy! Sad!

That's really not where I was going with that. I meant, when she delivered that line at the DNC she was full of life and energy, and it resonated. It was inspirational. Here she's much more unsure and hesitant. She's monotone and saying a "huh" every sentence and keeps looking down at her notes. This is not a speech that is going to win any hearts, or that anyone will link to and say 'look how great Hillary is'.

I hope she was just having an off-day and will be back to her DNC self soon.

Oh I know I just can't see the words low energy without thinking that now.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The most incredible thing about this election so far is that Sopan Deb is able to get out of bed every morning.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016

What... what does that even mean? He wants to sue Kelly over a comment he made about her? How does that even make sense?

Sopan is using it in the "argue" definition. Relitigate is more commonly used to mean reargue shit all over again without necessarily meaning any legal action.

Couscous on
  • Options

It's also used for rehashing arguments in discourse.

This discussion has been closed.